Author Topic: Evaluation of investing options  (Read 1328 times)

CzechiaGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Evaluation of investing options
« on: February 01, 2020, 07:12:32 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am going to finish my university degree soon and I am trying to find the best place for my money. I am a citizen of Czech Republic (European Union) and in my country possibilities like Vanguard are not available. I was searching for other options and I found brooker who charge me lowest fee and has access on NYSE where I would buy for example VTI (on US market fee would be $8 per buy).
The question is, wound you put there $700/mo (or even less) when they charge $8 for every buy or would you buy for example just twice a year? Do you think that payment just twice a year is enough for "smoothing a ride" in a long term?
Or is there anyone who had a same issue and solved it differently?

Thank you for your opinions,
CzechiaGuy

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Evaluation of investing options
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »
EU residents can't easily buy US listed ETFs (have to be Professional Investors).

People often suggest DeGiro, not sure if Saxo works in Czech. Interactive Brokers are great once you reach a certain level of investments.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 08:39:00 AM »
Have you looked in to Interactive Brokers? They might allow Czech investors.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 09:27:18 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am going to finish my university degree soon and I am trying to find the best place for my money. I am a citizen of Czech Republic (European Union) and in my country possibilities like Vanguard are not available. I was searching for other options and I found brooker who charge me lowest fee and has access on NYSE where I would buy for example VTI (on US market fee would be $8 per buy).
The question is, wound you put there $700/mo (or even less) when they charge $8 for every buy or would you buy for example just twice a year? Do you think that payment just twice a year is enough for "smoothing a ride" in a long term?
Or is there anyone who had a same issue and solved it differently?

I don't see a problem with investing less frequently, somewhere in the 3-6 month range.

CzechiaGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 07:21:46 AM »
I don't see a problem with investing less frequently, somewhere in the 3-6 month range.
Thank you, that was my question.

EU residents can't easily buy US listed ETFs (have to be Professional Investors).
People often suggest DeGiro, not sure if Saxo works in Czech. Interactive Brokers are great once you reach a certain level of investments.
I know that I can't access NYSE on my own, as I stated before, I have found broker. DeGiro is more expensive, because (at least its czech division) gets 0,25% every year from invested amount.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 11:19:52 AM »
Do you per se need the USA based ETFs? I'm in Europe and use VWRL for investing. VWRL can be considered a combination between VTI and VSTAX, based in Ireland and you can get it at several European stock exchanges.

Not sure what opportunities you have in Czech, but definitely look further than the NYSE/American ETFs and find the local alternatives!