Author Topic: Evaluating new Job Offer  (Read 5611 times)

JCGreen

• Stubble
Evaluating new Job Offer
« on: May 15, 2018, 08:38:27 AM »
Hi All,

Today I got a new job offer from a new company, but I am not sure it is an improvement over my old job. I don't know if I should accept it. Feel free to look at my case study if you have any more questions about me.

Current Job:
Day shift with flexible hours
$19/hr with overtime, (I started at $16.50/hr.) I get steady overtime if I want it.
4.5% 401K match
3 weeks of vacation time, many holidays off
I genuinely like my boss and co-workers.
Safety issues taken care of eventually.
3 hours away from my parents
relatively high rent area
Been here almost 2 years.
Potential to move up, but not common.
yearly COL raise, and small ($300) bonus
Company didn't meet its financial goals last year, have aggressive goals for this year.
I am up for a promotion(originally April) but it got moved to July. This was due to Corporate/buildout overages. I will probably be at a minimum of $22-$23.
There are a few other jobs like this in a 30 mile radius.

Job Offer:
Swing Shift with slightly flexible hours (like 0.5hr)
Salary at 54k/year with working overtime expected. Company not flexible on Vacation time or salary negotiations.
6% 401K Match
2 weeks of vacation time, working holidays expected.
sign on bonus of 3K
I think I would fit in great with my future co-workers as we come from the same background, but I am not sure about the main boss.
On the tour, I saw several safety issues that nobody in the room addressed (all the way open waste containers and fume hoods with no one around)
1 hour away from my parents (which is something I value as they have been having health problems)
slightly lower rent, but I would probably get a nicer apartment with air condition and quiet so I could sleep during the day.
Not a lot of potential to move up, Raise/position change after 5 and 10 years.
yearly 5% bonus in march
This job would give me more experience with a wider variety of software, but seems to be higher stress than my current job.
There corporate structure is worse then the one I currently work for with mistakes being highly common. It seems highly inflexible, even with scheduling a interview time, I don't feel they took my availability into account.
I want more money, but am worried this would be a worse place to work.
Part of the reason they want me is because I have experience in government compliance, something they seem to be lacking in.
They just got a new manager 5-6 months ago that is trying to turn this around.
This company seems really inflexible about everything.
There are not many other jobs like this in a 30 mile radius.

One of my co-workers at my current job recently left, so I think if I accepted this and gave 2 weeks, they would counter, but she said her counter offer was not as good. I also think this would "piss off"my boss to a certain extent.  They also haven't back filled her position yet, so it could give them more incentive to work with me, but I don't want to do that in less I am actually ready to walk.

Let me know what you think. Should I take this job? Should I let this play out? Should I just keep applying for other job? 54K per year over my current 45k/year worth it?

I am leaning towards accepting the job and seeing if my current company will make an offer. If they do, even if a little worse, I will probably take it, if not go to the new job?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:49:57 PM by JCGreen »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Evaluating new Job Offer
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
Personally I think you should take the job. It isn’t perfect but you aren’t going to work there for the rest of your career. This is a stepping stone and the increased pay is important for your overall lifetime earnings. Take it, do your best, learn new stuff, and keep your eyes open for what comes next.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »
I would see if your current company would try to match the offer. You aren't comparing apples to apples now; you need to compare your job offer against whatever your current company is willing to do to keep you, not whatever they are currently giving you.

If your company doesn't play ball, then I think I would take the new offer with the plan in mind to move on after ~2 years at the new place. Only 2 weeks of vacation sounds like hell, plus having to work holidays and very relaxed safety standards? Yeah I wouldn't stay there long. But I think I would take it as the salary increase is pretty sizable and it sounds like it is moving you to a location you want to be in, and use the 2 years as an opportunity to learn and milk the new company for anything they will give you to make you a more attractive candidate to ANOTHER company. Use this as a stepping stone to something better.

Of course, this depends on if the new location is better suited to opportunities. Would you be moving to a location with more jobs/companies/better economy, or no? Essentially, what I am asking is how easy would it be to find another job in the new location after a year or two? What does your 5, 10, 15 year plan look like? Where do you want to be then?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »
I would see if your current company would try to match the offer. You aren't comparing apples to apples now; you need to compare your job offer against whatever your current company is willing to do to keep you, not whatever they are currently giving you.

If your company doesn't play ball, then I think I would take the new offer with the plan in mind to move on after ~2 years at the new place. Only 2 weeks of vacation sounds like hell, plus having to work holidays and very relaxed safety standards? Yeah I wouldn't stay there long. But I think I would take it as the salary increase is pretty sizable and it sounds like it is moving you to a location you want to be in, and use the 2 years as an opportunity to learn and milk the new company for anything they will give you to make you a more attractive candidate to ANOTHER company. Use this as a stepping stone to something better.

Of course, this depends on if the new location is better suited to opportunities. Would you be moving to a location with more jobs/companies/better economy, or no? Essentially, what I am asking is how easy would it be to find another job in the new location after a year or two? What does your 5, 10, 15 year plan look like? Where do you want to be then?
+1

It makes sense to switch if you consider it temporary.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 12:18:39 PM »
I think I would take the job unless other prospects for employment in the area of the new job would be significantly worse than in your current location. I don't think I'd consider a counter offer that was less than $23/hr at your current job.

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 12:55:35 PM »
Thank you for all the replies, they have been quite helpful. I have updated information in my original post to answer most questions. I talked to the HR rep this morning about moving the start date back, so I could have 2 years of vesting at my current company in my 401K. If she can't I definitely will not accept as I don't want to work with a company that won't make any allowances what so ever. Even if I don't accept this job, I can still apply for others. 

Phoenix_Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 01:44:01 PM »
When you say overtime, are you referring to time and half?  I'm assuming you're in the US and that is the case. 

If so, how much overtime do you currently work?  If you do get that promotion to the $22-23 range, are you still eligible for OT?  Based on you saying you currently make $45k/yr, I am guessing that you work about 4 hours of OT per week. If that holds, and you do get the bump in pay to $22/hr, you would be making $52,600 per year.

For the new job, you state that it's salary, with overtime expected.  How much OT are they expecting you to work, and is this being paid out at the overtime rate?  Can you try talking to some of the would be co-workers to find out if the flexibility changes once you are on board?

Obviously, the more OT that is required, the more valuable it is to get paid at the time and half rate.

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 02:08:58 PM »
Where I am at overtime is paid as time and a half. (I am in the US)

At my current job, I generally work 4-8 hours of overtime, but if it can change, depending if I have a day off as I don''t get paid overtime until I hit over 40 hours for the week (not including holiday/vacation/sick pay)

At my new job, I would probably be expected to work about the same amount of overtime or a little more. I expect it will up after the first month or so. The work is Salaried so no overtime pay.

I talked with the recruiter, and she won't budge on anything but the hire date. I pushed the hire date out so that I will have reached 2 years at my current job and have more money vested in my 401K.

I hope this information helps. Can anyone advise me if I should sign the offer for the new job before giving 2 weeks notice at my current job?

Also, I have not budgeted out moving costs, but suspect I will need about $2500 in available cash to make the move, as it is a 3 hour drive, and I will need money for a new place to live.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 02:18:58 PM »
In my decision analysis classes my world-renowned professor who helped create the field of study recommended the coin toss for making binary decisions. Not to actually go blindly by what the coin tells you, but toss a coin to see whether it tells you to take the new job or not. Then think for a while ok how that makes you feel. If the cook days to stay at your current job would you feel like you passed up an opportunity? If it told you to take the new job, would you be filled with regret for leaving behind something good?

My vote is still to follow the money and just don’t count on staying at this next job for too long, but only you know what is right.

There is also option C which is continue looking for a different job.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 03:14:34 PM »
Can anyone advise me if I should sign the offer for the new job before giving 2 weeks notice at my current job?

If it were me, I would probably tell your current manager that you have a job offer. Of course, this is contingent on you thinking they may try to counter-offer. Like I said up-thread, you want to weigh your new offer against an updated offer from your current company.

I would hold off the new company for a bit if they are pushy about you signing the contract. Tell your current boss and give them some time to come up with a more enticing "stay with us" offer. Then you can make the actual decision of whether to leave or not.

Is the signing bonus enough to swing your moving costs? If it is tight, ask for $2k more and you might get another $1k, or I would ask for a separate relocation package in addition to your signing bonus. Say "I've priced out my moving options and it looks like I would need $3.5k (overshoot your actual numbers) to move to NewLocation. How will NewCompany help me with that?"

MustacheAnxiety

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 03:17:09 PM »
I lean toward the new job if nothing changes because it is better experience and closer to home.  It will probably be more money (even if you end up donating 8-10 hours a week in overtime) but if it they abuse the free overtime you can still leverage the experience for a better job after a year or so.

Recruiters (assuming outside the company, ignore if you were referring to internal recruiters/HR) are not useful once a job offer is made.  The recruiter gets paid if you take the job and is likely exercising maximum pressure to get you to take the deal as is.  Can you talk to the company directly?  If you need time to spend with aging/sick parents 3 weeks of vacation time can be a big help.  They may be more flexible about vacation time than pay.  It looks like there have already been some discussions about changing terms (ideally you want to make all the demands at once) but if you asked for more money and they said no, I think it is fine to come back and say "what about an extra week of vacation?"

Beware of counter-offers at your current job.  If you had to give your notice to get paid what you are worth, that is a bad sign about future raises/treatment.  If they are paying you more than what you are worth because they do not want to deal with having two vacancies in one department, be aware that once they find a replacement they may fire you.

I think it is fine to accept the new job before you put in notice.  Wait to put notice until you will be leaving in 2 weeks and have the offer in writing.  Your employer may decide to have you leave immediately after getting notice.

Moving expenses: I find the best bang for my buck is hiring movers by the hour to load and unload the truck (once I was too old to ask friends to help in exchange for pizza).  You can price out a moving truck and movers on U-Haul's website to get a better estimate (I found Penske to offer better rates for one way moves).

Congrats and good luck!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 11:01:22 AM »
(once I was too old to ask friends to help in exchange for pizza).
How old is that? I guess it's really the age of the friends you can call on that matters more than your own age.

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 07:56:03 PM »
The plot thickens...

I have yet to give two weeks notice that I am leaving my current job. I was planning on giving it the 7th of June.

I got called into my bosses boss office and told that I was getting a promotion and that they should have it in writing on Tuesday. I have no clue as of yet what kind of raise I will be getting. I doubt I will be able to negotiate what raise I get.

I am not sure if I got this because I was dropping hints that I might be leaving, or if I got told on, or if my hard work finally paid off. That being said, my boss knew I was unhappy that I got held off on this promotion in February.   

I plan on evaluating this job offer and sharing here when I get it.

Not that this will effect the decision, but the 401k match at my current company goes up to 6% Jan 2019.

I was thinking that if I got in the $23/hour range I would say, anything below that I would need to think about it more. Does this change any advice?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 08:02:21 PM »
That is an interesting plot twist! You can think of it as having two competing job offers in hand. I look forward to seeing the details of the two side-by-side.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 08:48:33 PM »
For me, if the promotion goes through I'd take it.

The new place honestly seems like an awful place to work.

You can take the promotion and still keep your eye out for options closer to your parents that offer more flexibility.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
I'd stay and keep the promotion.  I hate the idea of  being a salaried employee.  The second I hit my 40, I would be pissed to know I wasn't making any additional money... But I'd be totally fine cranking out overtime making 1.5x my rate.

It's good to get a job offer every now and then to check your market value... If you're ballsy, I'd show the offer to your boss to see if that helps them give you a bigger promotion.

If it were me... I'd keep my mouth shut, decline the 2nd job, and test out the new promotion for a bit.  You can always reapply for other jobs later.  I'd hold off for... 6 months or so.

Regardless, congrats on your promotion/new job! More money baby!

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 07:23:02 PM »
Now for the update,

I do not have an official offer from my current company in writing for the new promotion, but they are offering around $22/hr. It would be effective Jul 1st, so I would not get the cost of living raise in the next year. It would up my potential bonus from 3% to 6% (adjusting the the year).

I asked the boss man whether I could get any where into the $23/hr range, and he told me it was not possible, and that if I wanted more money I should look else where.

I am leaning towards taking the promotion as it would look good for resume building, and applying for something else in the next year or so. I am just worried the new job would make me miserable, and I can always keep looking.

Also something weird:
I told the recruiter (internal) that I have another offer (sort of true due to promotion, current job doesn't know I have another offer) because she would not leave me alone, and she asked me what my "true motivation was" to which I replied "long term happiness" for which the response was "join the club, my friend. I will let the team know of this update."  This was over text message, and I was trying so hard to contain my laughter.

I am due to put in my two weeks notice this Friday, so any advice would be helpful.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
I am leaning towards taking the promotion as it would look good for resume building, and applying for something else in the next year or so. I am just worried the new job would make me miserable, and I can always keep looking.

I am due to put in my two weeks notice this Friday, so any advice would be helpful.

I'm confused. Are you taking the promotion at your current job, or putting in your 2 weeks notice and taking the new job? It is kind of unclear from your update which way you are wanting to go.

Right now you are in a sweet spot, and you can play hardball with the new company. You have a pretty nice offer from your current company, and the new company has to really work hard to lure you away. It is no skin off your teeth if they need to revise their offer in light of your recent promotion.

If I'm reading this right, I wouldn't make any moves until you hear back from the new company on what their final job offer is (ie after the recruiter relays the news to the team).

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 07:38:26 PM »
Sorry for the confusion, I guess I meant I was just undecided. If I am going accept the other job, I will need to put in my two weeks notice on Friday. I am leaning towards staying with my current job, but again, I could go either way.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 07:54:22 PM »
What does a coin toss tell you to do and how does that make you feel?

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 05:41:16 AM »
Id stay with the current job, personally no amount of money is worth working with people I don't like.  Been there, done that.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 05:08:33 PM »
Now for the update,

I do not have an official offer from my current company in writing for the new promotion, but they are offering around $22/hr. It would be effective Jul 1st, so I would not get the cost of living raise in the next year. It would up my potential bonus from 3% to 6% (adjusting the the year).

I asked the boss man whether I could get any where into the $23/hr range, and he told me it was not possible, and that if I wanted more money I should look else where.

Also something weird:
I told the recruiter (internal) that I have another offer (sort of true due to promotion, current job doesn't know I have another offer) because she would not leave me alone, and she asked me what my "true motivation was" to which I replied "long term happiness" for which the response was "join the club, my friend. I will let the team know of this update."  This was over text message, and I was trying so hard to contain my laughter.

The choices seem about equal, so trust your gut. Take the promotion and keep looking for something that doesn't make you wary.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 05:10:30 AM »
I agree with other posters. Keep the current with a promotion and hourly increase, plus the available OT. That 6% match is great as well. This way - you get the pay bump without having to switch jobs. After a time period, I’d start looking again and try to get another 10k.

This is great - because you got the pay bump without the job switch, so less impact on the resume as a “job hopper.”

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 01:23:00 PM »
Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the advice.  I have decided to take the promotion and decline the new job.

I acknowledge that the new job would bring in more money than the current job, but felt I would have a better quality of life by taking the promotion. I can always find a new job. I am not going to bring up the other offer to my boss, because he was unhappy that I asked for even more money with the promotion.  I don't know how long I will stay with this job, but will most likely be looking for more money with a similar quality of life in the next year. At the very least, I now know what I am worth.

If anyone has more advice please feel free to share!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »
Thanks for the follow up. Best of luck with your promotion, and keep us posted.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »
Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the advice.  I have decided to take the promotion and decline the new job.

I acknowledge that the new job would bring in more money than the current job, but felt I would have a better quality of life by taking the promotion. I can always find a new job. I am not going to bring up the other offer to my boss, because he was unhappy that I asked for even more money with the promotion.  I don't know how long I will stay with this job, but will most likely be looking for more money with a similar quality of life in the next year. At the very least, I now know what I am worth.

If anyone has more advice please feel free to share!

My advice would be to always be passively looking. Make sure your Linkedin equivalent is always up to date and sharp, participate in whatever networking/volunteer things you can to get your name out, etc. It's easier to maintain than start from scratch and you never know who will reach out.

Congratulations on the promotion!

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 12:11:47 PM »
Update on the Promotion:

The promotion came with less of a raise then I was expecting (now $21/hour), and when I went to thank the bosses boss for the promotion she let me know that she couldn't get me approved for more of a raise with associated reasons (corporate structure etc.) She knows this is below market rate. That being said, the site I work at just got a large contract, and we are hiring on more people, so there is room for more training/growth upwards. I want to make more money so I can meet my savings and lifestyle goals.

I am going to slowly start putting my name in some pots both outside and inside the company and see what happens.  My current company knows I am unhappy with the pay, so I doubt they will be too surprised. I don't know if I should say something to my boss, he tends to get offended over these things and advises me to go with the flow. He's a great guy, I just don't think he will advocate for me with his bosses.

I have been having the debate in my head of should I stay or should I go for long enough that I think its time for me to leave, I just don't need to burn bridges on the way out. I do enjoy the people I work with and the company culture, but statistically speaking the less pay I accept now, the less I will be paid in the future, and pay is one of my main motivators for going to work right now.

I don't really have any solid questions right now, I mostly wrote this to clarify my thinking of how to move up and/or make more money. Hopefully my updates help other readers in making career decisions, especially since I tend to learn through failure. I am always happy to listen to the advice of others.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 08:41:12 AM »
I think you nailed it: keep looking for other opportunities. The compounding effect of more pay now will work in your favor over time, both adding to your base for future raises as well as additional savings early on.

Keep us posted. I am curious to see how you land.

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 09:13:39 AM »
Update on the Promotion:

The promotion came with less of a raise then I was expecting (now $21/hour), and when I went to thank the bosses boss for the promotion she let me know that she couldn't get me approved for more of a raise with associated reasons (corporate structure etc.) She knows this is below market rate. That being said, the site I work at just got a large contract, and we are hiring on more people, so there is room for more training/growth upwards. I want to make more money so I can meet my savings and lifestyle goals.

I am going to slowly start putting my name in some pots both outside and inside the company and see what happens.  My current company knows I am unhappy with the pay, so I doubt they will be too surprised. I don't know if I should say something to my boss, he tends to get offended over these things and advises me to go with the flow. He's a great guy, I just don't think he will advocate for me with his bosses.

I have been having the debate in my head of should I stay or should I go for long enough that I think its time for me to leave, I just don't need to burn bridges on the way out. I do enjoy the people I work with and the company culture, but statistically speaking the less pay I accept now, the less I will be paid in the future, and pay is one of my main motivators for going to work right now.

I don't really have any solid questions right now, I mostly wrote this to clarify my thinking of how to move up and/or make more money. Hopefully my updates help other readers in making career decisions, especially since I tend to learn through failure. I am always happy to listen to the advice of others.

Sorry to hear that the actual offer came in lower than the expectation was set.

One thing I have found works for negotiating pay increases is: I would like X. Is there anything I can do additionally that is worth X to the company? This correlates performance and output to pay and I find most firms are more than happy to reward people for it as having more effective people is more cost effective than having more people. In my last firm I almost doubled my salary chasing growth in this manner.

When I became a manager I learned about burden. When staff ask for a raise there is a multiplier that attributes their benefits. So in a firm with low multipliers it is easier to get cash raises. In ones with higher multipliers it is easier to negotiate edo's/time off/hours of work. My last firm had a 1.74 ratio(means $1.74 increase in cost for the org with every extra $ I earned). Current one has 2.29. Knowing this allows me to know how much $ I need to either reduce costs or increase value to earn the raise I am asking for.

In my current job they just lost a large contract and have salary freezes in place. I had asked about a raise. When my boss said no due to the corporate issues I asked for an extra week paid holidays and he went for it.

Best of luck in your pursuit.

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 10:37:02 AM »
Update on the Promotion:

I don't know why I am still surprised to hear companies say things like this and usually in their next breath they complain about not being able to recruit/retain good employees. corporate structure, blah, blah... Good luck on your job search!

MustacheAnxiety

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »
statistically speaking the less pay I accept now, the less I will be paid in the future, and pay is one of my main motivators for going to work right now.

One late thought so you don't end up a statistic.  I strongly recommend lying about current pay when asked by a prospective employer, especially if you are underpaid.  Just treat the question as though it was how much are you looking to make, because the offer is usually based on an increase from what you report as your current salary. 

Also congrats on turning down a job that paid more but you thought would make you miserable, few people of any age are so wise.  Good luck on the job search.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »
One late thought so you don't end up a statistic.  I strongly recommend lying about current pay when asked by a prospective employer, especially if you are underpaid.  Just treat the question as though it was how much are you looking to make, because the offer is usually based on an increase from what you report as your current salary. 

Also congrats on turning down a job that paid more but you thought would make you miserable, few people of any age are so wise.  Good luck on the job search.

Rather than lying, you could just respond, "I'm looking to make X." Don't claim to be reporting what you are currently paid, just let them know what number they need to come to to get you interested.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 04:51:42 PM »

Lying about how much you're currently getting paid is a bad idea.  Your current pay is far too easy to verify (they can call your current employer, require you to provide a W2 or pay stubs, etc.).  If they ask your current salary far better to reply in terms of "I'm looking for a job that pays $X" or "based on my research the market rate for a position like this is $X".

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 05:12:16 PM »

Lying about how much you're currently getting paid is a bad idea.  Your current pay is far too easy to verify (they can call your current employer, require you to provide a W2 or pay stubs, etc.).  If they ask your current salary far better to reply in terms of "I'm looking for a job that pays $X" or "based on my research the market rate for a position like this is $X".

You seriously think an employer is going to tell an outside party an employee's salary without their permission? A W-2 or pay stub is not going to provide documentation of annual pay. Box 1 of W-2 wages reflects pay after deductions for retirement plans, health insurance, FSA, etc. And a pay stub is almost worthless for an employee working hourly-65 hrs one week, 38 the next. Who knows what they make in a year? Even with a full tax return, I doubt a person working in HR could figure out what's the truth and what's not.