Poll

Should I take the new job?

Stay at current job
18 (66.7%)
Take new job
9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Evaluating Job Offer - Long Commute  (Read 7258 times)

Broadway2019

• Bristles
Evaluating Job Offer - Long Commute
« on: January 20, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »
I received a semi-verbal job offer (they are still getting approvals, but gave me some of the details) for a great opportunity and am trying to think about if it is worth it. Some background on each company below. I am having trouble deciding if the commute is worth it. I think I would like the work better and it is an area I am interested in. However, I realize I have it pretty good at my current company minus my actual team environment. I am 30 years old and have no kids. Any job I took around where I live would be a 40 minute or so commute regardless. I could negotiate more at the potential job, however, not sure how much more they can go up. It seems they already had to get approval to go this high.

Current
- Salary is $140,000
- Bonus $6,500
- 5 weeks vacation
- work from home 100%
- 401k is only $2000 contribution a year from employer
- pension is $2500-4000 contribution a year from employer
- paid cell phone
- Fortune megacorp
- Looking to leave because I don't like my current work or team
- Interviewed internally and have had no luck moving teams
- regular 2-3% salary increases but may be some time to get to the next level

Potential Employer
- Salary is $151,200 Salary is $161,000 $168,000
- Bonus is $33,000 - need to find out more on the likelihood of getting the full bonus, asked around most ppl get 80-110% of bonus
- 4 weeks vacation plus 5 sick days
- commute an hour each way - 50 miles, all highway no traffic, but $12 tolls or $46 a day on the train, commute only 30 minutes though
- trying to negotiate 2 days a week work from home, 1 day guaranteed
- 401k is 3% match first year and goes up to 5% by year 3
- Fortune megacorp
- from what I know, regular 2-3% increases
- Higher title and seems like getting promoted is possible in 1-2 years

Update: They went up to $161,000 right away on the phone. I am pushing for $168,000...

Also, I tried negotiating 2 days from home which will help with the commute. However, they would not commit to it on the phone and kept saying it is something they are open to discussing later. They said 1 day shouldn't be an issue, but 2 would need to be discussed. Also, they were worried about this opening a can of worms since other employees may ask too. Thoughts? I am worried about the language used in the conversation regarding work from home.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:03:39 AM by Broadway2019 »

fell-like-rain

• Stubble
Re: Evaluating Job Offer - Long Commute
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 07:37:05 PM »
I mean, realistically only you can answer this, because the big question here is how much you care about the commute. If you love driving and listening to audiobooks or whatever, that's one thing, but it's another if it feels like drudgery to you. Similarly, do you love working from home or does a real office sound like fun?

From a math perspective, you're basically working 25% more. With the full bonus included, the new job pays in the ballpark of 25% more. So in $/hour, it's a wash. In net income, it's a gain. It really comes down to your desires here.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 01:57:29 AM »
Second the vote to consider moving closer.  It seems like you don't have any of the ties that would keep you in a place.

When considering the financial cost of the commute, don't forget:

wear & tear on the car:  maintenance (100 miles per day = 3,000 oil change every 6 weeks.  But use synthetic and stretch that) + life span
insurance:  you will need to declare you daily commute, or risk coverage if you get into an accident during it
gas: weekly, or more than weekly, fill-ups unless you have a hybrid

What shape is your car now?  How quickly would this accelerate the need for replacement?  And you say there is no traffic on the highway--is that true during rush hour?  Try to drive the commute one day, at the time you planned.

You are unhappy in your current job; unhappy enough that you are actively looking to switch.  So, it seems like you have decided.  But you have locked yourself into a location for some reason that you have not listed; you have many more options than the one you have proposed.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 05:56:14 AM »
Second the vote to consider moving closer.  It seems like you don't have any of the ties that would keep you in a place.

When considering the financial cost of the commute, don't forget:

wear & tear on the car:  maintenance (100 miles per day = 3,000 oil change every 6 weeks.  But use synthetic and stretch that) + life span
insurance:  you will need to declare you daily commute, or risk coverage if you get into an accident during it
gas: weekly, or more than weekly, fill-ups unless you have a hybrid

What shape is your car now?  How quickly would this accelerate the need for replacement?  And you say there is no traffic on the highway--is that true during rush hour?  Try to drive the commute one day, at the time you planned.

You are unhappy in your current job; unhappy enough that you are actively looking to switch.  So, it seems like you have decided.  But you have locked yourself into a location for some reason that you have not listed; you have many more options than the one you have proposed.

My fiance works 40 minutes in the opposite direction so moving right now is not feasible. If I stay in this job at least 2 years we would consider moving. She has been at her job for 10 years and I have been bouncing around every 3 or so. My current car is a 2017 Subaru Outback so I would be looking to trade that in for something older where I could pile on miles.

Also, we bought a home 2 years ago. The home has gone up and I estimate we could see for about $80k more then we owe.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 06:01:18 AM »
Why not move closer to job #2?  Maybe not immediately, but if you like it/it seems like a good fit after you have been there a few weeks or months?

For me the commute would be an issue, but less of an issue than not liking the work/the team.

I can't move right now, however, maybe in 2 years. Also, if I removed the job from the equation, the job is not in an area I would consider moving. I live in Abingdon, MD and would be commuting to Wilmington, DE.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:49:05 AM »
What about the anticipated additional costs?  What are you netting per year more?

2 years isn't the end of the world--I suppose you could do anything for that long.  But I can't ever say I would recommend an hour commute, particularly for someone who is a home worker now.  bleh!

Would there be anything on the way to make the trip more useful?  Grocery run at a cheaper place / greengrocer?  Gym?  Would there be a possibility of carpooling, to cut the cost and provide some company?

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »
Having just moved to Wilmington....

Has anybody told you about the horror that is I-95 going north into the city yet?  It's real.  Cripes, we've gotten stuck in it on Saturdays and Sundays.  Have you been checking google maps during rush hour to give you a real feel for what you're about to face?  That exit (8, I think) into downtown turns into a parking lot.

I spent two months commuting the other direction to a northwestern suburb of Philadelphia.  It was 39 miles one way, mostly highway.  I wanted to gouge my eyes out every single day.  Accidents and major holdups were weekly occurrences.  The morning commute was 48 minutes at 5 AM (yes, 5 AM) but 75 minutes in the afternoon (~3:30).

Most of my colleagues are doing 2+ hours a day of driving thanks to this move, and they are not happy people.  Try the commute during rush hour once or twice before you make your decision.  Then take a stab at how painful it's going to be when it snows and ices.

MissMuffins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 08:35:20 AM »
I think you have to figure out how much you dislike your current job vs how much you will dislike the commute.
I left a job that I was extremely unhappy in for a 1 year contract that had a longer and more congested commute. Despite really enjoying the people and the work at my new job, I found that I dreaded going into work because the commute was exhausting for me. I also hated having to fill up my tank every 4 business days, both for the inconvenience and the wastefulness of it.
I'm about to start a new job with a pretty long commute, but there is no traffic congestion, and I'll hopefully be able to carpool with my partner for about half of it, so I'll have some company and we will be able to reduce our gas consumption a bit. Our plan is to reevaluate after 6 months to see whether moving closer would be a better option than staying in our current location. Without that plan to reevaluate, I probably wouldn't have been as willing to accept this job because I know I don't like commuting.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:47:41 AM »
Having just moved to Wilmington....

Has anybody told you about the horror that is I-95 going north into the city yet?  It's real.  Cripes, we've gotten stuck in it on Saturdays and Sundays.  Have you been checking google maps during rush hour to give you a real feel for what you're about to face?  That exit (8, I think) into downtown turns into a parking lot.

I spent two months commuting the other direction to a northwestern suburb of Philadelphia.  It was 39 miles one way, mostly highway.  I wanted to gouge my eyes out every single day.  Accidents and major holdups were weekly occurrences.  The morning commute was 48 minutes at 5 AM (yes, 5 AM) but 75 minutes in the afternoon (~3:30).

Most of my colleagues are doing 2+ hours a day of driving thanks to this move, and they are not happy people.  Try the commute during rush hour once or twice before you make your decision.  Then take a stab at how painful it's going to be when it snows and ices.

Whenever I map the drive it says 55 minutes and is 50 miles from my house - all highway. Also, I have the option to take the train but it is on Amtrak and a monthly pass is ~$700 or $46 roundtrip. Seems excessive. I decided that I am going to ask for 15% more and 2 days to work remote.

I don't think I would want to commute everyday but 3 days a week isn't bad.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 08:50:34 AM »
What about the anticipated additional costs?  What are you netting per year more?

2 years isn't the end of the world--I suppose you could do anything for that long.  But I can't ever say I would recommend an hour commute, particularly for someone who is a home worker now.  bleh!

Would there be anything on the way to make the trip more useful?  Grocery run at a cheaper place / greengrocer?  Gym?  Would there be a possibility of carpooling, to cut the cost and provide some company?

The money is sort of a wash. The commute (tolls, gas, mileage) adds about $15k more a year in expenses. There is nothing on the way as my gym is 2 miles from my house. I will look into carpooling but that is not guaranteed and I would not take a job based on finding someone to carpool with.

I am going to ask for 15% more and 2 days from home. This should help with the costs. I want this job but also am at a point where it has to be the right fit and opportunity. This is my 3rd job offer in a month and the best one I have right now. However, I don't really have a lot of problems getting jobs or offers. Just problems from finding the right one at the right compensation package.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:56:36 AM by Broadway2019 »

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 08:57:12 AM »
Are you currently working in Maryland?  Remember that DE income tax is 6.6%, and it's a non-reciprocal state.  So your taxes will likely go up.  You'll also pay the flat 1.25% rate in the city of Wilmington.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »
A third option is to not take this new job but to keep looking for other new jobs that are closer to your current home.

That is what I would do. A little over a year ago I started a new job that lengthened my commute to about 40 minutes. It’s too much for me, but I also have kids which is part of the reason I dislike it as much as I do. I would maybe feel differently if I did have to work this long commute into their schedules.

My plan is to try and stick it out for another two years so that my employer 401k contributions vest and then GTFO. I should be semi-FIRE by then so either I’ll look for something full-time much closer to home or transition to part-time consulting work. No way in hell I would do a long commute at that point, it is just not worth it to me.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »
Are you currently working in Maryland?  Remember that DE income tax is 6.6%, and it's a non-reciprocal state.  So your taxes will likely go up.  You'll also pay the flat 1.25% rate in the city of Wilmington.

Yes I work in MD currently. When I run a paycheck calculator, it seems I get a little more working DE.

MD state and local is 6.43% and DE state and local is 5.75%. Am I missing something?

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »
A third option is to not take this new job but to keep looking for other new jobs that are closer to your current home.

That is what I would do. A little over a year ago I started a new job that lengthened my commute to about 40 minutes. It’s too much for me, but I also have kids which is part of the reason I dislike it as much as I do. I would maybe feel differently if I did have to work this long commute into their schedules.

My plan is to try and stick it out for another two years so that my employer 401k contributions vest and then GTFO. I should be semi-FIRE by then so either I’ll look for something full-time much closer to home or transition to part-time consulting work. No way in hell I would do a long commute at that point, it is just not worth it to me.

So most jobs will require about 40 minutes of commute time if not more. I live in the suburbs. So going into Baltimore is about 40 minutes and there are not many job options that pay well.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 09:13:29 AM »
We're both wrong.  I messed up on the state income tax - it's marginal, with the highest rate of 6.6% above $60,000.  State and local would be more like 7%, though, if you include the Wilmington city tax.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 09:15:49 AM »
We're both wrong.  I messed up on the state income tax - it's marginal, with the highest rate of 6.6% above $60,000.  State and local would be more like 7%, though, if you include the Wilmington city tax.

so when I look at paycheck calculators I am not sure why that amount is less. I have tried a few, but below it the one I find most reliable at least for MD.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/delaware-paycheck-calculator#idvnXR7Fv3

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »
The two are close enough that it'd probably be a wash anyway.  A quick google sesh indicates that it's complicated (who knew? ha!).

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »
In google maps I typed in those cities and set it to depart tomorrow at 7am. It has you arriving at 815, so a little longer than non-rush-hour traffic, which makes sense.

How else will your life be impacted by this? When my wife works from home in her demanding job, she still has time to do a couple loads of laundry if need be, or to make herself a fresh lunch. Do you currently have that kind of work routine? What will 2+ hours of commuting do to your evening and weekend routines? If you're doing chores during the day in between work spurts, are you fine realizing that you'll be doing those chores in the evenings or on weekends?

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 12:47:23 PM »
As someone who has wrestled with a somewhat similar decision, I think the key is to focus on job satisfaction and long term career goals. 

Job satisfaction is great when you find it, and it makes the rest of the analysis almost superfluous. You know what your current job brings, and you seem to have concerns with your current team.  So, if you think this new opportunity will create increased job satisfaction, and that an increased commute would not make that a wash, then I would take the new opportunity.

Further, don't just look at this as an A vs. B type of thing.  When I wrestled with this decision, I ultimately chose what would push me towards my long term career goal (starting my own law practice).  It's easy to think this is A vs. B, but that's not the case -- you have to think long term and whether some other opportunity may come along that will get you to where you ultimately want to go.

Lastly, the one thing I would say is not to underestimate the toll of a long daily commute.  I did it for one summer and absolutely dreaded my commute by the end of my 12 weeks.  You need to have a plan in place for this to make it tolerable.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »
so, why did you get this job offer? Are you looking because you don't like the current one?

'cause 140k working from home with 5 weeks vaca sounds a heck of a lot like you don't really need ER!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 01:15:16 PM »
I definitely wouldn't commute an hour each way for ten grand more if you're making 140k working from home.  That's bananas.

That said, my current commute is basically that, and it's not all bad (still looking to cut it down later this year).  It's nearly 100% rural roads with essentially no traffic at all.  And I am a podcasts guy.

SuperNintendo Chalmers

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 08:16:08 PM »
I faced a similar decision years ago -- keep my 3 mile each-way commute or trade it for a 50 mile each-way commute for a job that was a great opportunity.  I really wanted to take the new job so I justified it by saying I would listen to audiobooks, podcasts, etc. on my drive up, and just use that as my "waking up" time.  I spent about 1.5 hours in the morning reading the news, etc. anyway, so I'd just do it in the car while I sipped coffee, no problem.  It would actually be a form of forced study and contemplation....

I didn't last a year.  I still have lingering trauma from that commute that guarantees I will never take a long commute again.

I won't repeat the many drawbacks others have noted, but I will mention two things that I didn't appreciate until I did it.  First, it was very demoralizing showing up to work after driving 50 miles.  I would get out of my car, stiff, tired, and frazzled, and realize that I hadn't even looked at my first email, and hadn't even started an 8-10 hour day.  After awhile, walking into the building at that point was painful.  And that feeling compounded as time went on. 

Second was the realization that no matter what, I would never get home in the evening before dark.  Part of that was I would leave late to try to avoid traffic, but even if I left at a normal time, I would always get home late.  That meant no early dinners with my spouse, no walking the dog, no happy hours, no early evenings in bed.  Just the fact that those became guaranteed impossibilities every day of the work week was also demoralizing.  The frequent gas fillings were also depressing, as MissMuffins said. 

Probably won't be as bad for you if it's only 3 days and you don't have traffic, so maybe it's worth it.  Personally I would never do it.  I didn't realize how viscerally awful long commutes were until I did it. 

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 06:07:45 AM »
I faced a similar decision years ago -- keep my 3 mile each-way commute or trade it for a 50 mile each-way commute for a job that was a great opportunity.  I really wanted to take the new job so I justified it by saying I would listen to audiobooks, podcasts, etc. on my drive up, and just use that as my "waking up" time.  I spent about 1.5 hours in the morning reading the news, etc. anyway, so I'd just do it in the car while I sipped coffee, no problem.  It would actually be a form of forced study and contemplation....

I didn't last a year.  I still have lingering trauma from that commute that guarantees I will never take a long commute again.

I won't repeat the many drawbacks others have noted, but I will mention two things that I didn't appreciate until I did it.  First, it was very demoralizing showing up to work after driving 50 miles.  I would get out of my car, stiff, tired, and frazzled, and realize that I hadn't even looked at my first email, and hadn't even started an 8-10 hour day.  After awhile, walking into the building at that point was painful.  And that feeling compounded as time went on. 

Second was the realization that no matter what, I would never get home in the evening before dark.  Part of that was I would leave late to try to avoid traffic, but even if I left at a normal time, I would always get home late.  That meant no early dinners with my spouse, no walking the dog, no happy hours, no early evenings in bed.  Just the fact that those became guaranteed impossibilities every day of the work week was also demoralizing.  The frequent gas fillings were also depressing, as MissMuffins said. 

Probably won't be as bad for you if it's only 3 days and you don't have traffic, so maybe it's worth it.  Personally I would never do it.  I didn't realize how viscerally awful long commutes were until I did it.

Thank you for the feedback! I’m sorry your job didn’t work out and hope you were able to find something else. I meet the director Friday to confirm if I can work 2 days from home. I think I can manage it if I only have to go in 3 days a week. This job would help career wise since it’s a title increase.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 06:11:33 AM »
Update: They went up to $161,000 right away on the phone. I am pushing for $168,000...

Also negotiating 2 days from home which will help with the commute. Thoughts on new potential salary?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 07:48:57 AM »
I think you should keep looking.  This is only one opportunity, but I think the loss of two hours a day wears pretty heavily.  Working from home does a lot to alleviate having a bad team and you may still end up with that issue.  If you get the $168k, I'd say the money is good, but not great given what you're giving up.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 08:38:02 AM »

This was my experience as well.  I absolutely loathed the long commute both in the morning and at night.  The worst part was judging commutes based on rush hour times, especially the evening.  It would be 5:15 and I would think that I might as well wait until 6:00 so I can avoid the rush hour.  And then boom, I'd have been gone from 7:45 AM to about 7:15 PM almost every day. It sucked.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 03:28:53 PM »
Update: I tried negotiating 2 days from home which will help with the commute. However, they would not commit to it on the phone and kept saying it is something they are open to discussing later. They said 1 day shouldn't be an issue, but 2 would need to be discussed. Also, they were worried about this opening a can of worms since other employees may ask too. Thoughts? I am worried about the language used in the conversation regarding work from home.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 04:47:23 PM »
I'd go for whichever is going to be a more enjoyable work-life-balance + potential to grow.  Moving jobs usually is superior compared to staying put.  Since you decided to look for a new job, you must not like something at your current place?  I'd  push for as many WFH days as possible, take the new job, also ask for a sign-on, 20-50K?  Then look to live closer to megacorp.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 06:27:30 PM »
I'd go for whichever is going to be a more enjoyable work-life-balance + potential to grow.  Moving jobs usually is superior compared to staying put.  Since you decided to look for a new job, you must not like something at your current place?  I'd  push for as many WFH days as possible, take the new job, also ask for a sign-on, 20-50K?  Then look to live closer to megacorp.

Can't move closer since my SO has a 45 minute in the opposite direction. So moving would not happen for sometime.

SuperNintendo Chalmers

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 07:54:23 PM »
One thing to also think about is that even if they give you 2 days WFH, will that affect your relationship with your new team/co-workers?  If you are one of the only ones who has 2 days, it may make it harder to integrate into a new team (depending on your work and company).  For me, everyone was cool with me coming in later and leaving later to avoid traffic, but it still made it hard to sync up with people, schedule meetings first thing in the morning, etc. 

As mentioned earlier, no way I would do it based on the factors you list here.  But as others have said, maybe the opportunity is good enough to be worth it to you--which only you can decide.  Just go into with open eyes to the true horrors of long commutes!  Good luck.   

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 07:09:08 AM »
The WFH thing does open up a can of worms with the rest of the team.  It's getting ugly in my group. 

When I was doing the 2+ hours of commuting a day, I managed to get two weeks with two WFH days.  That was certainly better than NO WFH days, but it was still really ugly.  And then what happens if your new employer revokes your WFH privileges because morale in the workplace is taking a nosedive?  Ask a Manager is full of these kinds of stories.  So then you're going back to commuting five days a week.  And I still contest the "no traffic" claims you're making.

Can you ask for mileage reimbursement?

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »
The WFH thing does open up a can of worms with the rest of the team.  It's getting ugly in my group. 

When I was doing the 2+ hours of commuting a day, I managed to get two weeks with two WFH days.  That was certainly better than NO WFH days, but it was still really ugly.  And then what happens if your new employer revokes your WFH privileges because morale in the workplace is taking a nosedive?  Ask a Manager is full of these kinds of stories.  So then you're going back to commuting five days a week.  And I still contest the "no traffic" claims you're making.

Can you ask for mileage reimbursement?

There really is no traffic going that way. Also, I am looking into taking the train. It's more money, but would be a 40-minute commute only. And really not much more than gas, tolls, and miles.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
Turns out I can go to train station 10 miles away and take a 25-27 minute ride to Wilmington. Office is 1 block from station. This is $46 a day.

At first, I thought this is crazy since it's so expensive. It comes to $9,200 a year while driving (gas, tolls, and miles) comes to $15k or so.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 12:06:23 PM »
Turns out I can go to train station 10 miles away and take a 25-27 minute ride to Wilmington. Office is 1 block from station. This is $46 a day.

At first, I thought this is crazy since it's so expensive. It comes to $9,200 a year while driving (gas, tolls, and miles) comes to $15k or so.

So does that mean you'll be taking the offer despite the lack of 2/week wfh?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 12:20:49 PM »
So you can take this job for $21k-28k gross and lose 1 hour 20 minutes per day and $9200/year?  Plus you lose at 3-4 work from home days per week and a week of vacation (and a cell phone)?

I don't think you should do this.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 12:21:32 PM »

So does that mean you'll be taking the offer despite the lack of 2/week wfh?

I am leaning towards it. Even if the bonus is 50% which I don't think will happen. It's about 15-20% increase plus another $15-20k a year. Even if I do this for a few years, I can use this for leverage in my next job.

I don't see moving up for at least 3-5 years in my current company. Raises are 2-3% a year and even a promotion would be maybe 10%. So flexibility is great but is not everything. It's a 50-50 chance negotiating another day from home. Also, with the train the commute doesn't look so bad. I realize it's more money, but any other role would have some cost to it. Also, driving home from the train station I can go to the gym.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 12:22:20 PM »
So you can take this job for $21k-28k gross and lose 1 hour 20 minutes per day and $9200/year?  Plus you lose at 3-4 work from home days per week and a week of vacation (and a cell phone)?

I don't think you should do this.

How are you calculating a loss?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 12:31:29 PM »

~$6600/yr if you figure 4 weeks vacation and working from home two days a week.  Does the prospective new employer offer a pre-tax commuting account benefit?

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2019, 12:55:13 PM »

~$6600/yr if you figure 4 weeks vacation and working from home two days a week.  Does the prospective new employer offer a pre-tax commuting account benefit?

$260 a month pre tax commute benefit

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2019, 01:04:16 PM »
I had calculated the loss, because you said it comes to $9,200/year upthread.  JLee is optimistic in suggesting that you'll work from home 2 days/week, because it really sounds like they don't want to give you that.  Based on four/week, it could easily be $8,500/year in commuting costs and the time is still a pretty serious commitment.  Also, is parking at the train station free?

I should say, the commuting benefit helps and the increased options do make sense.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »
I had calculated the loss, because you said it comes to $9,200/year upthread.  JLee is optimistic in suggesting that you'll work from home 2 days/week, because it really sounds like they don't want to give you that.  Based on four/week, it could easily be $8,500/year in commuting costs and the time is still a pretty serious commitment.  Also, is parking at the train station free?

I should say, the commuting benefit helps and the increased options do make sense.

Parking is free at the train station.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 09:19:24 AM »

$260 a month pre tax commute benefit

~$800/yr in tax savings? That helps a little, but only about 10% of the overall train costs.

I would not be happy with that length of commute, but for enough money it might be worth it.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »

I would honestly take a Saturday and do this actual commute there and back to see how long things actually are. Again, I faced this issue before, and I found that I was trimming 10-15 minutes off that commute to myself (Youngstown to Pittsburgh) to try and rationalize taking a new opportunity despite what I knew was a beast of a commute.

What I rationalized as a 65 minute commute was actually about 80 minutes door-to-door, and I knew that ahead of time. Thirty minutes does not seem like a long time, but that's 30 minutes a day, day-in, day-out, possibly every day.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »

I would honestly take a Saturday and do this actual commute there and back to see how long things actually are. Again, I faced this issue before, and I found that I was trimming 10-15 minutes off that commute to myself (Youngstown to Pittsburgh) to try and rationalize taking a new opportunity despite what I knew was a beast of a commute.
What I rationalized as a 65 minute commute was actually about 80 minutes door-to-door, and I knew that ahead of time. Thirty minutes does not seem like a long time, but that's 30 minutes a day, day-in, day-out, possibly every day.

Related to this, make sure you know the train schedule well.  If you get off late, do you lose an additional 15 minutes or a half hour?  Do you need to leave home 10 minutes earlier than you anticipate to get the train?  If so, does that mean you'll drive more often and end up with higher commuting costs?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:43:44 AM by thd7t »

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 10:34:09 AM »
I second the suggestion to check out the train commute.  Depending on where you're going to from the train station - especially if you're walking - things could get interesting.  Wilmington is getting better, but it is called "Murder Town USA" for a reason.  You're probably not going to get mugged or targeted directly, but some of the areas downtown are hotspots for gun violence.  Just one more thing to consider.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »
All very good suggestions! I am definitely not signing anything until I figure out the commute and take a day to go up there. I am vetting this job very thoroughly. In the past, I have not been as thorough, and a great thing in principle, was ruined by reality.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »

Related to this, make sure you know the train schedule well.  If you get off late, do you lose an additional 15 minutes or a half hour?  Do you need to leave home 10 minutes earlier than you anticipate to get the train?  If so, does that mean you'll drive more often and end up with higher commuting costs?

Oh, yeah that is an excellent point.  The train from where I work into Manhattan has a weird schedule, where it runs every few minutes until it doesn't, then there's a 40-45 min gap of no trains.  When it picks back up, you might have five trains in 15-25 minutes...then another 40-45min of nothing.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 07:06:45 AM »
Update....base salary to $168,000. I visited the office and the people were great. The office was nice and had a lot of amenities. Also, I take the train 3-4 days a week. 1-2 days work from home. So the cost is roughly $500-700 a month for the train. It is a lot but just the base salary makes up for it. The bonus would be all extra.

Also, I really trust the leadership. Both directors I would be working for seem very supportive and nice. While there I asked a few co-workers about work environment, promotions, etc.. Everyone had glowing things to say but not overly fluffy. People seemed very genuine.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2019, 07:39:29 AM »
Update....base salary to $168,000. I visited the office and the people were great. The office was nice and had a lot of amenities. Also, I take the train 3-4 days a week. 1-2 days work from home. So the cost is roughly $500-700 a month for the train. It is a lot but just the base salary makes up for it. The bonus would be all extra.

Also, I really trust the leadership. Both directors I would be working for seem very supportive and nice. While there I asked a few co-workers about work environment, promotions, etc.. Everyone had glowing things to say but not overly fluffy. People seemed very genuine.

I just read through this and it’s clear you want the new job and you’re going to take it, yet it seems so odd to the rest of us because you’re going from working at home 100% with 5 weeks vacation (for many the dream scenario) to one where you’re enduring an expensive train commute for 3-4 days. I get that you’re unhappy currently and happiness is important. I hope the new job keeps you happy and the commute doesn’t wear on you. The only thing I really have to add is since I’ve gotten older and I’ve this mustachian life I think about work a bit differently. I see work as a means to an end, do the job, make the money and use the money for freedom and get out as quickly as possible. Sometimes we get caught up with work and need it to be fun and exciting to make our life more interesting, and sure, that’s great, but is it vital? Lately I’m thinking less and less. It will be vital for me when it’s on my own terms. Anyways, you’re still you and quite employable so you’ll be able to use this experience to further refine what works for you.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2019, 06:53:15 PM »
Update: I turned down the job for a lateral move within my company. I was not able to get a raise but will have more opportunity for a promotion. Also, I will get to travel once a month and work from home the rest of the time. It was a hard decision but came down to the fact I do not want to live in Delaware ever so why take a job there.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!