Author Topic: Ethics vs money and security for a rental?  (Read 2913 times)

Stagleton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ethics vs money and security for a rental?
« on: November 12, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
I offered to rent an apartment to a woman who is going to start working for Aibel engineering. She is working through an agency called Aardvark Consulting which I am iffy about. They are giving me a "Company Guarantee" instead of a down payment. They do not have contact people at Aibel or at least will not give me names of people to contact. The woman is currently working for Aker; she sent me an email from name@akersolutions.com. I have spoke to her on the phone and she seems really nice and I spoke to 2 of her references who knew her from back in the Philippines and are also currently working in Norway.

I was offered 200$ more per month by a rental agency that has very good references and the local guy running it came by to check the place out, but I said I would rent to the woman before I got the offer.

I did not sign any contracts but I wrote it by email that she could have the apartment if she wanted it. I feel ethically bad about taking back my offer, but at the same time I don't want to get screwed and I have a lot of question marks.

What would you guys do?

Mactrader

• Stubble
Re: Ethics vs money and security for a rental?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
If it were me? I'd tell them the terms (down payment, etc) and let them decide if they wish to oblige. They seem as if they're trying to bribe you to move into their bargaining position by offering higher rent, which I would be very very cautious of as to why.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »
Who is to say she is not looking at another apartment as we speak?  Nothing signed, then nothing obligated.  I don't think it is unethical, you're just feeling bad about it.   

Stagleton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »
Well I sent her the contract to sign and she signed it.

She is not offering me more money. I am getting offered more money by a local company that seems like a safer option but will treat the place like a hotel. There seems to be a lot of prostitutes in town, so I was worried about this place treating my apartment like a brothel since I am right next door.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 01:44:46 PM »
If both parties have signed the contract, you are probably stuck with this tenant.  If you have not signed yet, you could just not move forward with the deal.  In your shoes, I would notify her immediately if you decide to do that. 

In the future, you may want to advertise locally for tenants.  Accepting a tenant from outside the country may leave you with several months of unpaid rent and a lot of damage to clean up.  Meanwhile, that tenant will have moved out of the country, leaving you with no recourse.  A guarantee from her employer only helps if you have a contract with the employer.

The local company probably provides short term furnished housing for new employees and/or contractors.  I would not do that either.  You mention apartment - is this a coop or condo?  The homeowners association probably prohibits short term rentals anyway.

If you used Craigslist to find a tenant, I would not do that in the future.  I only got flakes and con artists from Craigslist.  If you are not comfortable with or knowlegeable about being a landlord in your area, you might want to consider hiring a property manager.   Yes, it will cost you some money, but it will relieve you of some of the headaches of being a landlord. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!