Author Topic: Ethics Vs. Goals at work  (Read 1931 times)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
Ethics Vs. Goals at work
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
Hi there!
About 9 months ago I took a part time position at a religious organization.  Mind you, not a church, but a religiously affiliated organization (I know, vague, but I'm trying to keep some anonymity).
I took this position because they pay very well hourly, allow massive flexibility, and it has some perks (although no benefits).  This all works very well with my school schedule.
Fast forward to now... everyone at work is SO NICE, the schedule is working GREAT, they're super happy with me, all seems well and good.

Then, for a reason that I don't even remember I checked our website FAQ and find a STRONG anti-gay statement.  I am BEYOND not cool with this. 
It's also worded in such a way that I feel nearly certain if I brought it up to anyone to questions it- in a sense that I did not agree, I'd be terminated. 
So......

My plan was never to work there forever, it was just a good fit for school.  I have 9-12 months left in school and am due for a decent raise in 3 months.  I also currently do not take advantage of all of my job perks initially because I didn't want to feel like I was wringing the organization for all I could.

Should I just start maximizing my time there and take every dang perk I can and keep doing an amazing job (they're very happy with me since I took over this position) and get the biggest raise they'll give me and then just turn my notice in and bow out when I graduate?

I'm having a lot of "feelings" regarding all of this and hoping to generate some useful and organized thought of my own soon... but thought I'd throw this out here for now... what would you do?

plog

• Bristles
Re: Ethics Vs. Goals at work
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:44:33 AM »
Life lesson 101:  The world is not black and white. Noone is pure evil.  No one is pure good. 

I would just work there, be happy, do a good job and try not to subjugate too many people in the process.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:46:23 AM by plog »

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:46:36 AM »
I would say there is little anyone here can say about what you should and shouldn't do in this situation since it is highly dependent on your feelings on it and your priorities and only you will now the full extent of those.

If you have a big problem with this and you don't need the job then leave.

If you wouldn't be able to complete your education without the job then I would not leave till either you had secured a replacement job or until you are done with school.

As for while you are still there if getting discriminated against/fired/walking out would be a problem at this time and it sounds like they would be unlikely to change it based on your feedback and retaliation is likely I would not bring it up until you are in a position where if they were to let you go it would be fine.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:52:59 AM »
I'm not sure why you WOULDN'T maximize all benefits from a job, regardless of how you felt about their overall business! In the case of not particularly liking them overall, I think it's even more important to maximize your use of assorted benefits, because who will be a better steward of those resources?

In this case, I would milk it for all it's worth, try not to do anything that overtly contributes to the parts of the mission you don't like, work on getting school finished, and move onward and upward! (and maybe when you are done with school and have a new fulltime job do some good charitable donations to lgbtq orgs)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »
All good ideas...
Thanks for the input everyone... I really needed to vent this somewhere! 
As for the benefits.... there are just some I don't have a need for.  There's free coffee, but it's not the kind I like... there's a bunch of stuff we're throwing out that I could probably take to resell, etc... little stuff like that.

I'm not sure why you WOULDN'T maximize all benefits from a job, regardless of how you felt about their overall business! In the case of not particularly liking them overall, I think it's even more important to maximize your use of assorted benefits, because who will be a better steward of those resources?

In this case, I would milk it for all it's worth, try not to do anything that overtly contributes to the parts of the mission you don't like, work on getting school finished, and move onward and upward! (and maybe when you are done with school and have a new fulltime job do some good charitable donations to lgbtq orgs)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!