Author Topic: Estimated savings - 2004 Toyota Tacoma (4wd pickup) to 2010 Toyota Matrix  (Read 4576 times)

scottish

• Magnum Stache
My kids are mostly grown now and we rarely use the truck anymore.   It's a crew cab short box so it had lots of room when the kids were small.   But the operating costs drive me a little bit nuts sometimes.   I still need a vehicle to commute to work, but I don't see why I need to do it in a 4wd truck, even with the winters up here.

I'm pretty sure a small car like the Matrix would use about 1/2 the fuel and car parts are much less expensive than truck parts.   Has anyone seen a standard way to calculate the savings in operating cost I would see by replacing my 12yo pickup truck with a compact car like the matrix?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
How many miles/yr do you drive?

What's your comfort level with car maintenance?

What sort of condition is the truck in?

You'll certainly save a bit by going to a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle, but it really depends on how many miles/yr you're driving.  At lower mileages, you'll probably never save enough in fuel to make up the delta.  A lot of people forget about the cost of registering a new vehicle, and on every single used vehicle I've purchased, there have been about 6 months worth of regular maintenance that I've had to do (parts/labor) to fix little things that were wrong with it.  A 2010 is 6 years old, so you're not going to be exempt from that cost - it's usually at least $500, regardless of the car price.  Unless it's a truck, then it's about $1500.

snogirl

• Bristles
You'll get top dollar for your Tacoma that's for sure!  Resale on them is insane. That's all I've driven since 86. I bought my mom a used Pontiac Vibe which is a re-labeled Matrix. Its a great car. No problems just like my truck gas & go. Its roomy & of course gets better mpg.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

scottish

• Magnum Stache
The mileage is a good point - I do about 15,000 km a year (that's 10,000 miles roughly).   I've used the low mileage to rationalize not replacing the truck.

And it's in excellent shape.   Toyota replaced the frame for me 3 years ago and I generally follow the factory maintenance schedule.

Have to think about this some more.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
When you say car parts are much cheaper, what parts are you referring to?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
You know how much the Tacoma costs to operate since you own it.

You can get the following from Google:

- purchase cost of the Matrix
- sale cost of the Tacoma
- insurance cost of Matrix [call a broker if there is no accurate online insurance quotes for your area]
- gas mileage for Matrix
- typical maintenance costs for a 2010 Matrix with mileage you are looking at

Pump that all into a spreadsheet and you can figure out an estimate of the potential savings.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog

Most truck parts are more expensive. They're also larger and stronger.

JLee

• Walrus Stache

Most truck parts are more expensive. They're also larger and stronger.

Sure, but what exactly?  Parts costs are a small percentage of the overall cost of ownership of a vehicle.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
That depends on the parts.

I've got a large truck.  I haul heavy and large things.  I live in the country, and no, "drive to town, rent a truck, go load it with a few thousand pounds of stuff, bring it back, drive into town, get my car or bike back" is not something I'm willing to do.  Nor is making several trips with a bike trailer.

Front end of the engine (water pump, serpentine belt, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses) was north of $600.  A set of tires is $2000.  I had about $2k worth of differential work done because mine was whining pretty badly (it's spent its life towing, so this isn't surprising).

I've owned a lot of cheaper cars, and parts aren't nearly as expensive as truck parts.

snogirl

• Bristles
Tacoma replacement parts are cheap. Peruse Craiglist or a Tacoma forum & there is always someone selling stock parts or doing part outs. Its a very popular vehicle to modify by enthusiasts. Also OP's frame was replaced for free so Toyota also did brake lines & other parts because they strip the truck down. It's pretty comprehensive. As far as tires, my current set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 cost $406 from Discount Tire & $75 to mount & balance. Cost of ownership on my last 3 Toyota trucks was mostly fluid changes, brakes, tires, spark plugs, normal maintenance that easy DIY so comparing matrix car parts to Tacoma car parts is a non issue IMO. I use my truck in a landscaping business but understand larger Full Size truck parts will cost more & may likely see bigger jobs thus breaking things.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:53:49 PM by snogirl »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
That depends on the parts.

I've got a large truck.  I haul heavy and large things.  I live in the country, and no, "drive to town, rent a truck, go load it with a few thousand pounds of stuff, bring it back, drive into town, get my car or bike back" is not something I'm willing to do.  Nor is making several trips with a bike trailer.

Front end of the engine (water pump, serpentine belt, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses) was north of $600.  A set of tires is $2000.  I had about $2k worth of differential work done because mine was whining pretty badly (it's spent its life towing, so this isn't surprising).

I've owned a lot of cheaper cars, and parts aren't nearly as expensive as truck parts.

And $363 for tires:

Next problem?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Then you won't have much of a parts savings with a small car.

I keep forgetting that the Tacoma is more of a large Ranger than a full size truck.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Then you won't have much of a parts savings with a small car.

I keep forgetting that the Tacoma is more of a large Ranger than a full size truck.

Yep, they're definitely on the smaller side.  My last one needed a few repairs (I bought it with over 260k on it), but nothing was all that expensive.  Throttle position sensor (OEM from a dealer), $50.  Starter, $88. Alternator, $121. Fuel pump, $66.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
Parts are quite a bit more up here.   Some you can get third party, and some you can't.   The 3rd party ones are a bit cheaper, but still expensive.  I used to order them from a dealer in Texas when the CAD was worth more.    I remember buying a servo motor for the 4wd for about $700 when the Canadian dealer wanted $1200.    In fact, I almost sold the truck then.   The 4wd system repairs were ridiculous.    You had to crack open the transfer case to replace the servo motor.   WTF was Toyota thinking when they designed that?

DW has a Yaris for driving around town.   Brakes cost 1/2 what they do for the Tacoma.   Tires cost 1/2.   Water pump cost 1/2.  it uses 1/2 the gasoline.

My Taco is a 2004 - this was the last year they made the compact Tacoma's, so it's very close in size to a ranger.

Thank you for all the thoughts.   

My cost savings estimate is around $2500/year which is very tempting.  ($500 saving on maintenance and repairs, $1000 savings on fuel and $1000 savings on depreciation) But I'm still undecided, especially since it looks like I won't be able to find a compact truck like this again very easily.   The American public seems to be demanding larger and larger vehicles, and the car companies are delivering!   And  $2500 isn't a big deal until I stop working...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Parts are quite a bit more up here.   Some you can get third party, and some you can't.   The 3rd party ones are a bit cheaper, but still expensive.  I used to order them from a dealer in Texas when the CAD was worth more.    I remember buying a servo motor for the 4wd for about $700 when the Canadian dealer wanted $1200.    In fact, I almost sold the truck then.   The 4wd system repairs were ridiculous.    You had to crack open the transfer case to replace the servo motor.   WTF was Toyota thinking when they designed that?

DW has a Yaris for driving around town.   Brakes cost 1/2 what they do for the Tacoma.   Tires cost 1/2.   Water pump cost 1/2.  it uses 1/2 the gasoline.

My Taco is a 2004 - this was the last year they made the compact Tacoma's, so it's very close in size to a ranger.

Thank you for all the thoughts.   

My cost savings estimate is around $2500/year which is very tempting.  ($500 saving on maintenance and repairs, $1000 savings on fuel and $1000 savings on depreciation) But I'm still undecided, especially since it looks like I won't be able to find a compact truck like this again very easily.   The American public seems to be demanding larger and larger vehicles, and the car companies are delivering!   And  $2500 isn't a big deal until I stop working...

Do you rarely engage 4wd?  My first Tacoma had 198k and my second one had 282k and 4wd was flawless in both of them. It does have to be engaged from time to time to keep everything properly lubricated.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
I use the 4wd mostly in  the winter.    With the high ground clearance and the big wheels I don't need it much in the summer.    This part of Ontario is pretty flat.

Now I engage it 5 times a week -for about 50 metres on a straight road - just to keep anything from seizing up.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
Re: Estimated savings - 2004 Toyota Tacoma (4wd pickup) to 2010 Toyota Matrix
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 03:42:25 PM »
They are definitely getting to be expensive.   A new 4x4 crew cab Tacoma starts at over $37K up here.     

The thing that bugs me is it's full of gadgets I don't want or need.  (one touch 4wd, infotainment, power windows and doors and so on)

snogirl

• Bristles
Re: Estimated savings - 2004 Toyota Tacoma (4wd pickup) to 2010 Toyota Matrix
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 08:25:36 AM »
My 2GEN Tacoma is more than likely my last. I usually drive them to 200k.
Plus Toyota has extended their frame replacement now to this generation so it is only a matter of time
The 3GENl that matches my current ride is 10k more than what I paid plus it seems with slowed production,
giving buyers even less wiggle room in negotiation.
There will be someone right behind you silly enough to throw 40k at a mid size half ton with a van motor.
I really hope someone brings some competition to the mid size market, Toyota Quality isn't what it use to be.....
Loved my J vin'd pickups.  The newer meh no so much................

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!