Author Topic: Essential Oils on the cheap?  (Read 6342 times)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
Essential Oils on the cheap?
« on: June 29, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »
Hi Mustache community! Over the past two years I've noticed essential oil diffusers everywhere! I wondered--how did this become a thing? Was everyone shipped a cute, bulbous, steam-streaming appliance and I missed the shipment? They are called "essential" oils: how come I've never heard of them if they're so essential? What am I missing out on? I want some of these oils!

Come to find out there's a couple of scammy MLMs associated with essential oils, and I am a mom affiliated with a church, which means I am the target audience of such MLMs. Fortunately I never go to stupid MLM parties and have thus far escaped purchasing weird shrink wrap thingies for my fingernails, jewelry made in countries with horrible economies, cookware that I could by at TJ Maxx for 1/4 the price, sugar-laden nutritious milkshakes, bold-printed leggings, and countless other exciting products/"business opportunities" living in various misguided friends' garages.

But I digress. The thing is, I like these yummy smelling oils. I was a hippy once and I miss my patchouli. Incense was always kinda unappealing because of the smoke-y ash-y thing, but the oil steam is so pleasant! They say it cures all manner of ailments but I'm pretty sure that's a sad claim for the gullible and the desperate. Still, I wouldn't mind if my house smelled of frankincense once in a while.

My husband says they should be called "optional" oils. What say you, Mustache community? Is there a way to hack the essential oil thing?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Essential Oils on the cheap?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:43:39 AM »
I don't think they're very essential, but they do smell nice, and a little extra humidity in the house in the winter is pleasant, too.

I bought a diffuser on Amazon, and I get oils for $6 a bottle at the health food place, and two bottles gets us through the winter.

I skip the woo and the parties, and I do think a little lavender or orange smells pretty good.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »
I like them too; much more pleasant and accessible than burning a candle or incense in the office (I feel that would be frowned upon...). I have a co-worker whose daughter sells doTerra, so I've bought a couple at her wholesale price. She likes to make up her own blends and had made me a sample that is supposed to be soothing for migraines (which I do get, but not often). I don't know that it necessarily helps, but it is very pleasant, so I use it in a little roller bottle occasionally. I'm not sure what all is in it, lavender and mint definitely.

For making it more "mustachian" I would look at Amazon and your local health food place like Cranky does, or find someone who will offer you their wholesale price.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
An oil is "essential" in the sense that it contains the "essence of" the plant's fragrance—the characteristic fragrance of the plant from which it is derived.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
^ I know :)

We just think the wordplay is funny.

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 12:08:30 PM »
Walmart had an assortment by the pharmacy.  I know a lot of people here hate WM, but if they are carrying them, I think you should be able to find them at other discounters or drug stores.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 12:51:10 PM »
I have seen them in Target as well as some health food and grocery stores in my area. A lot cheaper per ounce than buying through any of the MLM companies.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 01:02:05 PM »
I often buy essential oils on Amazon.  Our Subarus use 0W 20 so I get a 5 quart container and a filter.  The Jeep takes 5W 20.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
Hi Mustache community! Over the past two years I've noticed essential oil diffusers everywhere! I wondered--how did this become a thing? Was everyone shipped a cute, bulbous, steam-streaming appliance and I missed the shipment? They are called "essential" oils: how come I've never heard of them if they're so essential? What am I missing out on? I want some of these oils!

Come to find out there's a couple of scammy MLMs associated with essential oils, and I am a mom affiliated with a church, which means I am the target audience of such MLMs. Fortunately I never go to stupid MLM parties and have thus far escaped purchasing weird shrink wrap thingies for my fingernails, jewelry made in countries with horrible economies, cookware that I could by at TJ Maxx for 1/4 the price, sugar-laden nutritious milkshakes, bold-printed leggings, and countless other exciting products/"business opportunities" living in various misguided friends' garages.

But I digress. The thing is, I like these yummy smelling oils. I was a hippy once and I miss my patchouli. Incense was always kinda unappealing because of the smoke-y ash-y thing, but the oil steam is so pleasant! They say it cures all manner of ailments but I'm pretty sure that's a sad claim for the gullible and the desperate. Still, I wouldn't mind if my house smelled of frankincense once in a while.

My husband says they should be called "optional" oils. What say you, Mustache community? Is there a way to hack the essential oil thing?

I blame Pinterest.

I have been using EO for decades and love them.  I don't use them in the doTerra way, I use them in making bath stuff, DIY home cleaners, or in the wax-melty-thing.  I buy mine either  online or at a local natural foods store.

The thing about EOs is different brands are best for different reasons.  I use a lot of Aura Cacia because I think they are better for my purposes.  Other brands are better for ingesting.  You have to buy the right one for your needs. 

Personally for EO I don't skimp on price because quality does matter.  A small bottle also lasts a long time.

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 11:55:27 PM »
NOW brand sells large bottles for comparatively little money. I can't vouch for how "pure" they are and all that BS, but it smells the same as expensive brands and their supplements are overall legit.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
I use Essential Oils for making homemade Bath Bombs (I enjoy them, and they're nice little gifty-gifts).  I picked up a box of oils at TJ Maxx the other day.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »
TJ Maxx! Of course! I will be on the lookout from now on. Great idea.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 08:59:41 PM »
Hmmm...I need to restock my lavendar essential oil - the best thing in the world for mosquito bites! Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a-scho

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 01:02:27 AM »
I get mine at Sprouts when they are 25% off, which happens a couple of times a year. but, I looked up that they are not located in Hawaii, so your best bet would probably be Amazon. Whole Foods has a wide selection, but they might charge more. But, then again, they might have lowered their prices now that they are owned by amazon.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »
Check them out if you go on vacation.  I got bottles of EO in Bali for about $1.50 apiece.  And Eucalyptus oil in larger bottles for not a lot of money.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »
Check them out if you go on vacation.  I got bottles of EO in Bali for about $1.50 apiece.  And Eucalyptus oil in larger bottles for not a lot of money.

Did you really suggest saving money by buying essential oils while in Bail?   !!!

If these are an MLM item, they may be on clearance sales online.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 08:26:12 PM »
 I was missing the scent of spring lilacs in my Florida home, so got this on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Z6KNP2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has exactly the scent of a lilac tree.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 08:46:25 PM »
A few grocery stores in my area have natural foods sections and that's where I got most of mine. I like using peppermint oil on my temples for headaches, and we use lavender for winding down in the evenings. My massage therapist happens to sell the Young Living oils--I got a couple from her since she used them on me and I liked the specific scents. I don't really think they are any better than the ones available elsewhere, and I think you can find 'recipes' for their blends online. My husband likes them, too.

I got my cheap diffuser on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016WEO4MM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504493015&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=innogear+diffuser&psc=1

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 09:57:01 AM »
I hate the woo part and I would never purchase them from an MLM.

That said, your source to purchase them depends on what you are using them for.

Do you actually need an "essential" oil (or just some fake scent dropped in mineral oil and labeled as essential oil).

For diffusing, diluted skin care (like a bath bomb) and smelly stuff, the latter might be fine and Wal-Mart or Amazon might be OK. I wouldn't go super high quality on that.

But if it is close to your skin or being ingested, I would likely go higher quality (like the health food store - or if its a food-grade oil, the baking store or bulk store could have it. In Canada Bulk Barn has nice food-grade essential oils.) Eg someone mentioned a migraine relief blend, I don't think a fake oil would work for something like that. Or peppermint oil for making cookies.

And some oils are really dangerous for babies (can cause breathing problems) or to ingest, so for that sort of thing I would actually look it up, make sure it was a high quality oil and if needed talk to someone with certification and training.

chrisgermany

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 12:05:49 PM »
Thegrimspeaker gave some very important information on dangers of essential oils over at the Wall of Shame and Comedy / MLM thread.
His posts are #382, 388 + 393.
Very worth reading.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:10:22 PM by chrisgermany »

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »
Thegrimspeaker gave some very important information on dangers of essential oils over at the Wall of Shame and Comedy / MLM thread.
His posts are #382, 388 + 393.
Very worth reading.
her

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »

Did you really suggest saving money by buying essential oils while in Bail?   !!!

If these are an MLM item, they may be on clearance sales online.

Only suggesting if you're going there.  Bali/Indonesia can be quite  a cheap vacation destination.  When in Bali I was getting around on an average of $40 day, and that's solo which is more expensive than traveling as a couple.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »
Pier One has a scent that I really love. Their scents come in candles, air fresheners, and other things too. Every month a different scent is on sale, so if I remember I try and stop in and see if it's my scent. The one time it was in the last three years (that I had checked), I bought up a bunch of stuff. One bottle of their diffuser stuff lasts me about a year. I'm actually out now and considering buying the $16 bottle.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!