Author Topic: ER is all I can think about now!  (Read 5130 times)

BuzzardsBay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
ER is all I can think about now!
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:52:58 AM »
I love my job.  But now I spend all day thinking about how I can save more so I can have the freedom to work when I want and where I want.  I do have a 30 minute commute and would love to work part-time close to home some day.  I am 48, have about $150k saved for retirement and no debt except the house.  I've never had credit card debt or student loans or anything.  But when I think about the money I've wasted over the years on "stuff" it makes me crazy.   I am totally focused now on saving as much as possible.  The real frustration is the work I plan on having done on my house this spring and summer.  I need a new roof and there are some other repairs that should not be put off or they will cause damage and cost more to fix in the long run.  I've spent the winter saving and I know I need to spend the money, but I don't want to!  I just want to save every single penny that I possibly can and get to my savings goal as soon as possible. 

How do you deal with the frustration of wanting to get to your goal as soon as possible and knowing it's going to take several years and not just one or two? 

doyouknowwhy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: ER is all I can think about now!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:57:50 AM »
if it must be done, then it helps the house. not much you can do about that. the cost of home ownership.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:33:05 AM »
I was in a similar spot for a while, and I still have a lot of regret and frustration, but it definitely loses some of the edge over time. It's so frustrating to know what you should have done, and not being able to do anything about it now, and the expenses keep coming as you are trying to save every dime. But keep doing the best you can and the regret diminishes and the expenses do go down, the bigger problem is not losing that focus over time as the months go by... :)

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:36 AM »
I think the secret is pretty much the same as with any other giant goal:  stay focused on what you can control.  You can't control the past.  You can't control that your house needs to be maintained, unless it's a better decision for you to sell the house and move somewhere else.  Take it one day at a time, focusing on each small decision.  One day you will be very surprised at how much difference each of those small decisions has made!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:09:49 AM »
I agree with the folks above about the past being the past.

Know this. As you reduced overall expenses, it "pays" you twice. You get the money now and you get it later. You also get to retire earlier than you otherwise would because your expenses are lower and you therefore need less money for retirement. So, congratulate yourself and keep saving.

As for the house, you have to spend $$ on a house. That is life.