Author Topic: Entertainment for the mustachian  (Read 3280 times)

Kansas Terri

• Stubble
Entertainment for the mustachian
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »
What are some of the Mustachians idea of inexpensive fun?

I like to garden (Mostly dollar store seeds, which can be started on a windowsill), I like movies (Mostly Redbox and viewed at home with popcorn from the kitchen), and I like to cook gourmet meals. There are some great recipes on-line, and youtube will show you how to make things like vegetarian sushi or whatever.

What do my fellow Mustachians like to do in their spare time?????

Littlekind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Entertainment for the mustachian
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 12:01:10 PM »
Cooking is high on the list for me, too.
Reading aloud with my kids is a favorite pastime for many hours a week.
Riding bikes, taking walks, doing little projects like knitting....my younger self wanted to go places and do stuff but now this is my idea of fun.

Jtrey17

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:21:02 PM »
I like taking the kids to the beach (within walking distance) and going for bike rides. We also like making our own pizza and swimming at the neighbors.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 06:59:58 PM »
I get my movies free from the library usually.  Bike, hike, paddle.

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 03:51:34 AM »
Video games. In like 10 years i have spent like 250$ maybe...

Also like some geocaching!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 05:31:43 AM »
I like to read, spend time at home with my husband and pets, cook meals from recipes (on pinterest usually), watch TV shows/films/ political programmes/documentaries, listen to podcasts and I am recently getting back into exercising.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 06:34:08 AM »
There's no one activity that I'd recommend . . . figure out the state of mind that you like to be in, and then figure out how to configure your day to achieve that state of mind.  I like to be happy, relaxed, and introspective . . . so for me kicking back and reading a book or talking with friends (be it in the back yard under shade from the hot summer sun, or in the living room next to a big window showing cold winds whipping by outside) while being a little physically tired (from jogging, weight lifting, cycling, hiking, playing sports, etc.) and sipping on a (cold or warm depending on the season) beverage puts me into the right mindset.

zenyata

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 06:49:17 AM »
About 5 years ago I decided to start trying to learn how to play the guitar (with some urging from my SO that I should be exploring the creative side of my brain rather than just all physical activities).   So I bought an acoustic guitar and started learning the basics via internets.

I can actually play a bit now...   guitaring - especially when you are lousy and learning - is a GIANT time suck - in a rather delightful way (other than those days where it's an annoying source of frustration - but those usually pass pretty quickly).

There's something rather sublime about being able to get to the point of playing even simple melodies from some of the great works of music (I have a nylon string classical guitar since I'm rather fond of classical pieces).

So for a couple / few hundred bucks you can get a decent guitar and then you just need an internet connection - put in some time practicing - voila !  a whole new world opened for me when I gave it a try...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 07:40:12 AM »
Cooking is a big one - honestly, we could probably lower our grocery bill if we ate rice and beans more, but, y'know, roast duck in a peach and brandy reduction totally has it's place. ;) (And that place is the realization that serving that at a dinner party for 4 is cheaper than meeting friends at a restaurant and ordering a meal for 1, PLUS friends bring amazing wine/dessert).

Reading: either books from the library or friends, or bought on Abebooks (usually under5$/book, which I'm willing to pay for something I want to keep around. Being surrounded by books makes me happy).

Productive hobbies that involve improving things: learning to do basic wiring, or painting, or basic wood-working, or re-finishing furniture, or sewing/darning, or fixing things around the house, all create a sense of satisfaction and exand the possibilities of what your house can be for really minimal cost. Plus you get to feel super competent every time something gets done, which is always nice. PLUS you can make things for presents that save costs (um, NO we are not buying a 300$ dollhouse for our toddler - 30$ of wood and less than 10 hours will do, thanks). Highly recommending Youtube tutorials for all of these, FYI.

If you're outdoors-y at all, my SIL loves hiking - I personally don't see the appeal, but she gets lots of satisfaction for no money, so cheers.

The two hobby traps:
1) I'm getting into this things and need ALL THE GOOD GEAR!! *spend lots of money* No, no you do not. I 'got into' sewing by realizing that I could buy a Brother sewing machine online for the cost of paying someone to hem 3 pairs of pants (aka: less than 80$). That machine is holding strong 6 years and multiple projects later. Everyone telling me I needed to spend 400$ for a machine? Nope. Maybe when this one gives out, but honestly, maybe not - it's fine for my needs. Same applies to basic woodworking - garage-sale tools will totally get you started, and you can upgrade faced with actual NEED, not with "I might eventually need this/should buy the best quality now before I know that I'll use it enough for the quality to be worth it".
2) "I want to get into this and need ALL THE GEAR" followed by the same thing 3 months later about something else, leading to gear for 17 not-really-done hobbies cluttering the house and costing a lot of money and not being used. NO.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 07:54:28 AM »
If you have a body of water or river nearby, fishing can be a very inexpensive and fun hobby, and you might get a little good table fare.
You'll need to purchase a license and some basic gear, but gear can be had for next to nothing at garage sales, etc.   You can learn to acquire your own live bait for free and that's almost as much fun as fishing.

A hardcore Mustachian gardener would salvage and dry seeds from the produce you grow and eat, and eliminate buying seeds.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:03:22 AM »
If you have a body of water or river nearby, fishing can be a very inexpensive and fun hobby, and you might get a little good table fare.
You'll need to purchase a license and some basic gear, but gear can be had for next to nothing at garage sales, etc.   You can learn to acquire your own live bait for free and that's almost as much fun as fishing.

A hardcore Mustachian gardener would salvage and dry seeds from the produce you grow and eat, and eliminate buying seeds.

Better yet: you combine both hobbies and do vermicomposting. Worm bait from your house/back yard AND compost for the garden. Win/win!

(Worms don't survive outdoors here, and my husband categorically refuses to let me set up a vermicomposting bin in the basement. I tried, ok.)