Author Topic: Engineering part-time/volunteering opportunities  (Read 3304 times)

aprilm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Engineering part-time/volunteering opportunities
« on: February 14, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »
I wasn't really sure where to ask this, but considering that there are so many engineers on this forum, I figured this would be as good a place as any.

Long story short, I got a BS/MS in environmental engineering, worked for a couple of years at an engineering consulting firm, and was offered a lucrative position through a prior employer doing something totally unrelated to engineering. (Yes, I sold out for the money.)

That said, I'd like to keep my engineering skills up-to-date if possible. I may have the time for a part-time weekend-type of job, but I'm not sure how many of those exist in engineering, especially considering I only have a couple of years of experience. Are there any volunteering opportunities I could go after? Any ideas for keeping my engineering brain/skills sharp?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Engineering part-time/volunteering opportunities
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:29:28 AM »
I had a similar experience with EE.  My first job out of college was more of a Project Management role.

I kept my skills up via hobby.  In fact, although I learned the fundamentals and the underlying principles in college, it's really afterwards that I learned a lot more of the practical application, as I designed and built my own devices.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »
Are you interested in environmental causes? For instance, the Nature Conservancy or the Sierra Club? I'd bet they could use some skilled help on a volunteer basis.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
What about Engineers Without Borders?