Author Topic: Energy Efficiency Program through Gas Provider  (Read 2276 times)

ohio4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Energy Efficiency Program through Gas Provider
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »
I recently had an energy audit done on my home through Columbia Gas of Ohio. The program offered an energy audit for $25 and then reduced pricing on subsequent energy efficiency upgrades. They actually help pay the weatherization contractor and then offer further discounts through rebates. I do not believe I will be eligible for an energy tax credits, because I exhausted the lifetime benefit on a previous tax return (windows).

My house was found to be lacking some insulation and has minimal air sealing, but is not as bad as what I would have guessed. Only a few rooms lacked adequate side wall, which is probably pretty rare for a house in my neighborhood (pretty beat up homes from the late 1800s). Our attic is woefully under insulated. Our gas usage is low (according to the gas company) at ~625 Ccf a year. We are conservative with our heating and cooling. Our programmable thermostat with a very conservative schedule has been turned on once in the last 2 months if I am remembering correctly, but the weather has been quite mild in Central Ohio.

I took the auditor to be a pretty honest guy and his report indicates a return on investment (after heavy discount and rebates from the gas company) for further insulation and air sealing at around 3 to 5 years, depending on which rebates we end up getting in the end.

We like our home, but it has its problems and we may end up moving at some point. Our basement frightens me after 4 years, but I have hacked away at most other problems the house had when we bought it. Just a few more to tackle here and there. I would say that these updates would bring the resale value of the home up a negligible amount. The attic might scare away a customer, but it's not going to change the price if I had to guess.

I could probably do some or all of the work myself, but the cost would be similar due to the gas company subsidizing the work. Is this worth it? If I move in 2 or 3 years I'd be shocked. It seems like a wash or benefit if we stay longer than that, but I'm worried these upgrades will have little return and this report is not accurate. It's going to cost me ~$950 the day I sign up and I will not be financing the cost. Again, I will likely get more money back through the rebate program, but I haven't read all the fine print yet. In the end, it may cost as little as $550.

Our home is in a nice neighborhood, but has plenty of problems. I've already dumped so many thousands into it that will not be returned to me that I'm embarrassed to discuss them on this board. I'd hate to add this to the list. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Chris

ohio4life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Energy Efficiency Program through Gas Provider
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »
I spent some time reviewing the documentation and the cost will be about $632 out of pocket. It is estimated I will save $173 on energy every year given current thermostat settings. Return on investment is less than 4 years. I think I'm pulling the trigger unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Thanks,
Chris