Author Topic: Encourage me to sell my truck!  (Read 2764 times)

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
Encourage me to sell my truck!
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »
Probably my last very un-Mustachean purchase was my 2000 Ford Lightning, bought (with a loan) about a year ago.  I am generally unrepentant; I love fast cars and the truck hauls stuff plus goes terrifyingly fast.  What's not to like?  Well, the gas bill, the payment, the insurance bill.. I'm preaching to the choir here.

I've been considering selling it for a few months; I'm currently working on a house renovation and the truck's sitting at the new house.  I've used Home Depot trips and very low mileage otherwise as an excuse to keep it for a bit.

Well, I'm headed to Carmax tomorrow to look at another Prius with my daughter.  I think I'm going to clean up the Lightning and see what they'll offer for it.  If it's close to what I think it would bring on Craigslist, off it goes.

I know all of the financial benefits selling it will bring.  I just need to convince my inner hot rod child that I won't miss it.  Much.

madmax

• Stubble
Re: Encourage me to sell my truck!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:55:52 PM »
I miss my Audi everyday while driving my Prius. But then I look at my gas and insurance bills and that makes me smile. No regrets at all.

Katsumoto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 02:10:59 AM »
My biggest sacrifice when we got out of debt was having/choosing to give up my Infiniti G coupe. I LOVE cars, especially cool and fast cars, so I do miss it. I got a cheap, useful, yet fairly quick WRX wagon to get me by. I know this will always be a struggle for me. We have a fair bit of money in things with motors still to be honest.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 06:38:30 AM »
Well, for future reference, don't bother to take a hot rod into Carmax.  I sold them a Lexus earlier this year for a good price so perhaps I was overly optimistic.  They offered about half of what I think it might go for.

I'm going to defer action, aka sit on a depreciating asset, a bit longer.  :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!