Author Topic: Employment Dilemma--Take New Job?  (Read 33550 times)

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: Employment Dilemma--Take New Job?
« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »

As probably the biggest OSU fan on this forum
Go Bucks! I won't tell the mods if you don't tell them I went to the Rose Bowl this year (didn't even ride my bike there...)

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: February 05, 2019, 07:37:54 PM »

As probably the biggest OSU fan on this forum
Go Bucks! I won't tell the mods if you don't tell them I went to the Rose Bowl this year (didn't even ride my bike there...)

I was there as well! Section 14. First Rose Bowl for me. It was great.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #252 on: February 05, 2019, 07:58:36 PM »
Well I am horrible at watering plants.  I would either do real or not at all.  Maybe a fish tank or a fountain.

To get the OSU in without it looking like a dorm or pub.  Maybe a portrait Horseshoe but have it framed very nicely as you would a diploma. An OSU themed clock. 

Some sort of Ohio "heart of it all" type of wall art/craft.

Another could be through rugs.

I did a google search for red office accessories.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: February 05, 2019, 08:14:00 PM »
Oh trust me, I have plenty of well framed and nice OSU stuff. Several panoramics of the same game for crying out loud.

@civil4life whatís your thought on flooring?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:39:36 AM by ReadySetMillionaire »

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »
Go Buckeyes!

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2019, 10:07:33 AM »
New inquiry, as I make this transition to my new office -- anybody have any experience with case management software? Any recommendations? @TVRodriguez @Lady SA @FIREby35 @Fuzz @Finances_With_Purpose

I've looked and Clio and Practice Panther seem like pretty good options. I like the idea have having everything seamlessly integrated and having all of my client's stuff in one, convenient portal. I also like the idea of being able to batch invoice.

However, I loathe the idea of adding another fixed expense, and especially one that will continue in perpetuity.  Each of these services is about $65/month, or $780 annually.  With my move ahead, I'm already increasing overhead from about $800/month to $1,200/month, and I'm weary of adding another expense at this time.

I currently use Google App Suites and think I have it pretty well mastered.  My Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Tasks, Google Drive, etc. are all linked pretty well. I should add that everything I have is on Google -- Forms, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Google My Business, Analytics, etc.  It's all favorited on my bookmarks bar so it's like a dashboard of sorts.

I also just started going paperless via Google Drive, and I am creating secure folders for clients and sharing that link with them. The feedback so far is INCREDIBLY positive with that collaboration.

I also just started using Wave Accounting/Invoicing, and wow, for a free service, what a great job it does.  It has reduced my invoicing time from about 4-5 hours to about 1 hour. So that headache, I think, has been largely taken care of.

So this is a classic "fixed expense" type of debate. Perhaps case management software is essential to "grow" the business so that I am working "on the business, not in it," and so that I can eventually sell the business. However, I feel like Google is a great alternative option that *almost* does the same thing, and can scale as well.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:22:08 AM by ReadySetMillionaire »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2019, 10:23:49 AM »
I'm not civil (snirt), and this response may come too late, but Luxury Vinyl Flooring (LVP) is the bomb. Easy to install, impossible to kill, totally waterproof, a breeze  to clean, and not terribly expensive. Shaw US Floors* even makes a product with a cork backing. It dampens sound and is more comfortable underfoot. Full disclosure: the cork back type requires a saw. The regular stuff is just score and snap.

*Edited to update - It's not from Shaw, unless they own US Floors. Since retiring from the industry, I don't GAF. We're installing a houseful of it now. It is a breeze to work with and the cork backing is  delightful underfoot.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:53:17 AM by Dicey »

Lady SA

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2019, 11:21:20 AM »
If google solutions are working for you right now, I'd stick with it until there is a compelling reason to switch.
A lot like how we tell people on the forums to not move houses until you *need* to. You say yourself that there isn't anything wrong with your current solution, but you are looking at other options to see if there is a "grass is greener" option. I would consider these systems on a "convenience (problem severity & frequency) -- price" scale. Do you currently have any issues with the convenience factor with google? If yes, how severe are the problems you are encountering? How often do these problems occur?
If each time you had to bill a client, you had to go through a 3 hour rigamarole, then your decision might look different than if things work pretty smoothly today, with maybe a few infrequent but short headaches to deal with.

I'd also try to minimize the amount of "change" you are experiencing with the new move. There will be plenty of that (new commute, new neighbors, new processes, etc) without voluntarily adding learning a whole new system of software onto your plate as well. I'd wait until you settle into your new rhythm and then revisit this question.

civil4life

• Bristles
    • My Journal
« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »
Oh trust me, I have plenty of well framed and nice OSU stuff. Several panoramics of the same game for crying out loud.

Somehow I missed this. 

I will second Dicey on the LVP.

I recently replaced my kitchen flooring.  The previous owner had cork.  Total mess.  I actually went with cheap vynyl, but that is because I live in a low income area and most likely will not be in the house too many more years. 

The flooring people definitely pushed the LVP.  If it had been a forever home or higher end one I definitely would have went went with it.

Do you have color swatches?  I really like the more rustic looking floor styles and with OSU a grey hue would probably be interesting, but I do not think it would go with the color scheme.

I agree with sticking with Google.  You already seem to have a good system that works. 

I work in engineering.  My employer just switched to one of the project management softwares.  Overall it is ok.  It would not have been one of my picks.  It is probably more focused on the business/financial side than for me the project manager. 

Just Curious

Being in MMM there is the FIRE and also the work life balance.  What are your aspirations for your firm?  Do you want it to grow to a multi-lawyer office or stay a one man show?  If a one man show what do you think or want your capacity to be?  How does this fit in with your FIRE goals?

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: March 05, 2019, 10:16:31 AM »
I use Case Peer. It is cheaper than most case management programs, doesn't require any contracts and is pretty awesome. If I were you, I'd at least check it out.

As to whether you need a case management system or not, that is a more difficult question. I did not use a case management software for the first 6 years of running my own practice. I was able to use excel spreadsheets, good programs, outlook and other tools to keep track of all my things. In my experience, the case management software became essential as I built a team of people and wanted the team of people to have a common infrastructure to handle the cases as a team (rather than individuals handling cases inside a firm with no collective efforts).

If I had been using the case management software from the beginning it would have saved me a lot of work trying to convert all our files into the system and then have everyone in the office learn a new software at the same time. So, if you get a case management software now, it would make it easier to grow.

On the other hand, I didn't pay any subscription costs for 6+ years. So, I did save money.

https://www.casepeer.com

One last thought, I don't think selling a solo law practice is a likely outcome. It is not like other businesses and is more difficult to sell for many reasons.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: March 05, 2019, 01:18:34 PM »
Confession:  I'm kind of a hodgepodge of systems, which I am guessing you'd like to avoid.  I'll come clean here and explain.

I've been using Clio since I started on my own, and it's gotten a lot more robust since then (almost 6 years ago), but honestly I'm not using it for all it's worth.  I have friends who use it for everything, including the client connect; I mainly use it for billing.  It works well for me for invoicing, which I generate on Clio and then download and either mail or email to clients.  I like that my assistant has her own login and can log her time at her rate, too.  I like the dashboard that has my targets right on the front page when I log in.  But I don't send bills out from Clio's website.  I tried with my very first client, and she didn't like it.  So I didn't bother trying again.  I'm told by other friends that they do routinely send out their bills from Clio with no problems.  But honestly, I have several clients who do not email at all, so they still prefer to receive an invoice in the mail and send me their checks in my SASE.  And for the EP matters, they pay me 50% at the first meeting and the balance at the last meeting, so there is no need to send an invoice.  I mark my time for my own edification and reports.

I think I get a discount for paying Clio annually.  I used to, and I haven't checked on that lately but I should.

I use Microsoft 365, and since Outlook what I use for email, I like that Clio has buttons in Outlook for me to access it that way, too.

I use Square to accept credit cards.  If you take credit cards through LawPay, Clio waives the monthly fee for you, so you only pay the percentage associated with that credit card.  LawPay has a low fee for "regular" credit cards (less than 2%).  But I tried LawPay before they hooked up with Clio, and I found that the rewards credit cards have a higher fee than the standard fee from Square.  So I switched to Square for accepting credit cards.  But that means that I send regular paper/mail or pdf/email bills, and if someone wants to pay by credit card, then I end up generating and sending a link from Square and attaching the pdf to that.  Not terribly efficient, but it's never really been a problem for me.  Also, my state just approved attorneys passing along credit card fees to clients, although I haven't done that and am not sure if I will.

Another solo I know loves MyCase for herself, and I think she uses a lot of the Google App Suites, so I guess that works well together for her.

I use Quickbooks, partly for bookkeeping and partly for payroll.  I pay myself, my two assistants, and any contract attorneys through direct deposit.  It's easy for me, and I am used to it.  It generates the reports I need easily.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing about your systems.  I guess I'll share mine in more detail for those following along.

I use Google Apps for email, calendar, documents (Docs), spreadsheets (Sheets), online storage (Drive), slides, forms, tasks, notes (Keep), etc.  My website is also through Google (kind of) in that I also use Analytics, Google My Business, etc.  All of this for $6 is probably the best value any business could have.

Almost all of this Google stuff integrates.  Tasks speaks to Calendar; Gmail can speak to Calendar; and Drive speaks to everything. It creates a Google Dashboard of sorts, although it does not fully integrate like a case management software. More on this later.

I've used Quickbooks Self-Employed for about a year now, but per @FIREby35, and after getting hammered on taxes this past year, I am electing to be an S-Corp this year. So QBSE doesn't work with this type of accounting, which is sad, because I love this app.

Thus, for financials, I just converted to Wave.  They have an amazing free invoicing service that allows for incredibly customized invoices and they only charge 1% to pay online (everywhere else is 3%).  Multiple clients paid almost instantly this month and provided feedback that they really appreciated the ability to pay online. If those clients become "raving fans" then the 1% is well worth it.

Wave also provides payroll and basic accounting features. The accounting is free but is not very nuanced.  I don't think it needs to be because, unless I'm missing something, I just need to stay on top of my expenses, categorize them, and then give that to my accountant at the end of the year. Wave does a good job at this.  Wave's payroll service is $24/month; there are cheaper options but I think I want to do this so all my finances (invoicing, accounting, payroll) are in one place.

There's three things about the above described system.

1. There's no single place where EVERYTHING for a client is in one place. Sure, I have my calendar appointments and emails, and I have Google Contacts, and all of this is accessible, but case management software really seems to put everything in one place.  That seems convenient, although I'm not at the point where that is worth almost $1,000 per year.

2. Google does not really speak to Wave or anything accounting wise.  Again, this is not a huge deal, but it means there are separate ecosystems for legal work and finances.

3. Invoicing is still by biggest admin time sink.  I just did my first batch this month and it took a while. Granted, I did have to create a client for all of them this time, and maybe I'll get more familiar and quicker, but manually transferring from a Google Doc to invoices is quite a task that still takes at least half a day. While this is a time sink, I always follow up with clients, finish minute stuff that needs to get done while billing, and actually keep a list of "making money in [next month]," because my somewhat manual billing gives me a list of projects.  It's almost like a tickler system of sorts.

So, I'm always looking to improve. Some new tech for the new office:

1. As part of my push to become as paperless as possible, just bought an iPad, as the newest models are on sale for $250. No longer have to waste time printing stuff and carrying around huge files to court -- it will all be accessible via Google Drive.  I'm also using this as my Amazon Cloud Reader, and it's way bigger/better than a Kindle.

2. Bought a Google Home Assistant ($30).  Going to be able to say "Call Clerk of Courts" and have it dial right from there and use it as a speakerphone.  Will also be able to use it to remind me of tasks and set calendar appointments. This plus Ruby Receptionists seems like a great solution for now.

3. Got a 55" TV for the conference room. Going to link this up with my computer to give presentations to clients.

4. Updated my website. It's 99% done and holy moly is it an improvement. I'll probably share via PM with some of you when it's done.

5. Buddy of mine designed a logo. It's sharp.

That's all I can think of right now. Including that $21k from the settlement, almost $50k in invoices so far this year.  Things are continuing to move in the right direction.

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2019, 07:27:40 AM »
RSM - you are like me, it only took one year of getting hammered on taxes before I took the time to figure it out. Taxes are real! :)

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #263 on: March 26, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »
Case management software is not essential for a solo. It seems like you have a good thing going with google suite.

I would encourage you to use a text expander.

Whether case management software is useful depends on your practice area. If  you have a volume practice where you use a lot of the same forms and the cases follow the same workflows (immigration, trusts/estates, misdemeanor criminal defense), then purpose built case management software can really accelerate your practice (wealth counsel and a couple of immigration suites are especially impressive). If your cases are more one-off cases (and very few practice areas are like that imho), then don't bother with a case management system.

If you're doing the same tasks again and again, there is generally a way to automate it. Figure out how to automate it.

I have no idea how Wave gets around credit card fees (wholesale fees are more than 1%) and offers a free account. Is it a virtual check or debit card only service?

I think it is a huge mistake not to take credit cards. I think it is a huge mistake not to get paid up front. My advice is to build the cost of CC processing into your price. I do not organize my biz around clients that want to mail me a check. I will work with those folks, but it's not my preference or typical workflow. And that's okay. It's my vision/practice. I don't work without being paid so I make it easy to pay me. My experience is that most individuals do not write checks on a regular basis. So I don't make them go find their checkbook. If I served businesses that sent out a lot of checks, then I'd care more about taking checks.

My bias is to spend money to save time, and then use that time to do more valuable work for clients that can pay. Your vision may be different. If you keep your costs low, you can charge low prices and serve a different market. That business model works too.

With Clio, I send invoices from the software. I send dozens of invoices a month. It does not take anytime and my clients pay with a credit card. But where Clio is much more useful is integrating document automation/document management/tasks across a team. With Clio grow, it does intake too.

Also, FYI on invoicing. An invoice is also a marketing document, so make the invoice look good and explain what the hard work you did in detail :)

Final thought: I have a whole bunch of subscriptions, an associate and a paralegal. I am not making a ton more money than when I was a true solo doing everything myself. It would have been easier to keep a simple practice with one niche only, almost no expenses and no overhead. That would have been a really good way to go. I could work 3 days a week and take home 60% of what I am taking home now. However, my more complicated/expensive model is generating some great cases and I am doing neat work that I like. My expectation is that it will really pay off in the second half of 2019 and 2020. So discount my thoughts accordingly.

iluvzbeach

• Bristles
« Reply #264 on: March 26, 2019, 10:50:13 PM »
PTF. Iíve read from the beginning and love seeing how far youíve come. Quite impressive. Adding a comment because I only stumble across the thread every few months and have to get caught up. Now Iíll be able to keep current.

Best wishes on baby boy RSM!

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: March 28, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »
Case management software is not essential for a solo. It seems like you have a good thing going with google suite.

I would encourage you to use a text expander.

Whether case management software is useful depends on your practice area. If  you have a volume practice where you use a lot of the same forms and the cases follow the same workflows (immigration, trusts/estates, misdemeanor criminal defense), then purpose built case management software can really accelerate your practice (wealth counsel and a couple of immigration suites are especially impressive). If your cases are more one-off cases (and very few practice areas are like that imho), then don't bother with a case management system.

If you're doing the same tasks again and again, there is generally a way to automate it. Figure out how to automate it.

I have no idea how Wave gets around credit card fees (wholesale fees are more than 1%) and offers a free account. Is it a virtual check or debit card only service?

I think it is a huge mistake not to take credit cards. I think it is a huge mistake not to get paid up front. My advice is to build the cost of CC processing into your price. I do not organize my biz around clients that want to mail me a check. I will work with those folks, but it's not my preference or typical workflow. And that's okay. It's my vision/practice. I don't work without being paid so I make it easy to pay me. My experience is that most individuals do not write checks on a regular basis. So I don't make them go find their checkbook. If I served businesses that sent out a lot of checks, then I'd care more about taking checks.

My bias is to spend money to save time, and then use that time to do more valuable work for clients that can pay. Your vision may be different. If you keep your costs low, you can charge low prices and serve a different market. That business model works too.

With Clio, I send invoices from the software. I send dozens of invoices a month. It does not take anytime and my clients pay with a credit card. But where Clio is much more useful is integrating document automation/document management/tasks across a team. With Clio grow, it does intake too.

Also, FYI on invoicing. An invoice is also a marketing document, so make the invoice look good and explain what the hard work you did in detail :)

Final thought: I have a whole bunch of subscriptions, an associate and a paralegal. I am not making a ton more money than when I was a true solo doing everything myself. It would have been easier to keep a simple practice with one niche only, almost no expenses and no overhead. That would have been a really good way to go. I could work 3 days a week and take home 60% of what I am taking home now. However, my more complicated/expensive model is generating some great cases and I am doing neat work that I like. My expectation is that it will really pay off in the second half of 2019 and 2020. So discount my thoughts accordingly.

Fuzz, your advice was/is great. I bolded the parts that really struck me. I have the same type of deal with my practice. Was bigger really better? No way to know now and way to late to look back. Plus, there are some advantages and things to look forward to with a small firm, as you mentioned.

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2019, 10:34:34 AM »
How did this fall to page 4?  I literally come to MMM to read this thread, as I think it's excellent (and I'm not even an attorney, or a business owner!).  I mean, I read a few other things while I'm here, but I'm a bit hooked on this thread, or was at least.

Any updates on it?

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2019, 02:03:48 PM »
RSM welcomed a baby to their family a few weeks ago -- I'm guessing the business is on the back burner for the time being!

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2019, 02:04:22 PM »
RSM welcomed a baby to their family a few weeks ago -- I'm guessing the business is on the back burner for the time being!

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that!  Babies add to the craziness, no doubt!

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: June 06, 2019, 10:51:15 AM »
How did this fall to page 4?  I literally come to MMM to read this thread, as I think it's excellent (and I'm not even an attorney, or a business owner!).  I mean, I read a few other things while I'm here, but I'm a bit hooked on this thread, or was at least.

Any updates on it?

@TheInsuranceMan ... so sorry for the delays.  As said, my son was born in early March.  He's doing great -- sleeping well, eating well, loves his mom, etc.

To add to that, I moved offices at end of March, which obviously took a ton of time. The new office, though, is amazing and is arguably the best decision I've made -- most especially because I also did a complete redesign of my logo, letterhead, website, etc.  I will post pictures of it some time soon, but it's been getting great compliments from other attorneys and clients. Also, as I alluded to in another post, coming here and basically being guaranteed to not be bother has been an almost surreal experience coming from multiple offices with a ton of lawyers and staff and the phone ringing off the hook.

Expense wise (since @Fuzz and @FIREby35 mentioned it), I'm still running very lean.  My rent did go up to $475/month and I now have a phone answering service for $276/month, but my overall budget is still less than $1,100 per month.

Business revenues are going really well. So well that I've hired my brother to come in about twice a month (or $100/month or so) to help out. Well worth the expense -- he does all the work I hate doing (printing envelopes, creating new folders, etc.).

Through end of May, I have $72,000 in earned receipts. My June invoices were $9,950 -- almost $5,000 of which were billed against retainers.  The invoice amount would have been higher, but I withheld invoices on a couple cases that are just about to wrap up. I'm hoping my July invoices (for June's work) total more than $12,000.

I feel pretty confident because I've diversified my revenue sources pretty well.  I have 4-5 big pieces of litigation into the foreseeable future.  I'm also still doing local counsel work and appointed work.  I also got added to the criminal appeals appointment list, so that's an entirely new thing to figure out.

Also in the pipeline is a co-counseling relationship with an attorney in another county.  We met in February and he followed up just this week and said he is going to get me involved in 3-4 of his biggest cases -- he said he was allowing me to enjoy time with my son before getting too involved.

Also in the pipeline is a co-counseling relationship with that family law attorney I've mentioned before.  We settled that $250,000 whopper and she's brought me on board for three other cases since.

Revenue goal for this year is $150,000.  I think I can get there if one of the contingency fee cases settle.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:55:05 AM by ReadySetMillionaire »

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2019, 12:50:27 PM »

Any updates on it?

@TheInsuranceMan ... so sorry for the delays.  As said, my son was born in early March.  He's doing great -- sleeping well, eating well, loves his mom, etc.

To add to that, I moved offices at end of March, which obviously took a ton of time. The new office, though, is amazing and is arguably the best decision I've made -- most especially because I also did a complete redesign of my logo, letterhead, website, etc.  I will post pictures of it some time soon, but it's been getting great compliments from other attorneys and clients. Also, as I alluded to in another post, coming here and basically being guaranteed to not be bother has been an almost surreal experience coming from multiple offices with a ton of lawyers and staff and the phone ringing off the hook.

Expense wise (since @Fuzz and @FIREby35 mentioned it), I'm still running very lean.  My rent did go up to $475/month and I now have a phone answering service for $276/month, but my overall budget is still less than $1,100 per month.

Business revenues are going really well. So well that I've hired my brother to come in about twice a month (or $100/month or so) to help out. Well worth the expense -- he does all the work I hate doing (printing envelopes, creating new folders, etc.).

Through end of May, I have $72,000 in earned receipts. My June invoices were $9,950 -- almost $5,000 of which were billed against retainers.  The invoice amount would have been higher, but I withheld invoices on a couple cases that are just about to wrap up. I'm hoping my July invoices (for June's work) total more than $12,000.

I feel pretty confident because I've diversified my revenue sources pretty well.  I have 4-5 big pieces of litigation into the foreseeable future.  I'm also still doing local counsel work and appointed work.  I also got added to the criminal appeals appointment list, so that's an entirely new thing to figure out.

Also in the pipeline is a co-counseling relationship with an attorney in another county.  We met in February and he followed up just this week and said he is going to get me involved in 3-4 of his biggest cases -- he said he was allowing me to enjoy time with my son before getting too involved.

Also in the pipeline is a co-counseling relationship with that family law attorney I've mentioned before.  We settled that $250,000 whopper and she's brought me on board for three other cases since.

Revenue goal for this year is $150,000.  I think I can get there if one of the contingency fee cases settle.

Awesome!  I mean, besides the fact that I know you're an OSU fan, of course.  And, I can understand the kid thing taking time, I've got 3, oldest just turned 5, middle just turned 3, youngest is 9 months.  Oooofta.

Good luck, I'll continue following the story for any updates.  Nice to see the hard work paying off.  I dream of going off on my own and starting an agency, but in my area, it isn't the most feasible.  It could be done, but I've got a non-compete, and I literally live a block from where I work, and a few miles from where we farm.  Not worth moving to get out of the radius required, and I don't have the cash to fight it.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »
Excellent update, RSM!  Sounds like the move was a great, uh, move. 

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: June 07, 2019, 07:34:51 AM »
It seems almost to good to be true, right? More money, more freedom, less headaches (caused by bosses or partners, etcetera). I'm glad it is working.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »
I always love a good update! ♡♡♡