Author Topic: Employer just opened up our Simple IRAs, no idea what to invest in?  (Read 1279 times)

leroyjenkins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
So I currently have a 401k through John Hancock from a previous job, and a Betterment account as well, and recently opened up our "SIMPLE" IRA through TDAmeritrade at work. Albeit, I had no idea the Simple IRA would have to be managed completely by myself...unless there is some broker / automation feature I can pay for a fee on TD.

Regardless, I have little knowledge on what to invest in. I've seen good things from the Vanguard ETF that Betterment is utilizing, so I'm open to any good suggestions. I'm 26 and usually have set my other accounts to a heavily biased 90% stock / 10% bond preference. Thanks Mustachians!

-L

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Employer just opened up our Simple IRAs, no idea what to invest in?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:01:10 PM »
There should be a research tool somewhere in your account. Try to find the finds you can buy with no transaction fee, and see if any of them are index funds with low ERs.

Also, roll your Hancock 401k over into a traditional IRA, because it's almost certainly not in low cost index funds, and you may be pay additional inactivity fees.