Author Topic: Emergency suicide related question (not me)  (Read 7646 times)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Emergency suicide related question (not me)
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »
Does anyone know how it works if you call 911 or the police for a suicide threat?  A relative is alone in Chicago at a hotel near O'hare airport who is suicidal, took medication (xanax) to make her (we think) too sleepy to actually accomplish something.

We are debating driving there (5 hours) to get her and take her home so she is not alone in Chicago, vs. calling 911.  Not sure how it works to call 911 in a house vs. in a hotel.  My mother is currently on the phone with her so we know she is ok at this moment.  Her psychiatrist believes based on what she took (so far) she will be too asleep to accomplish anything. 

FUCK.

Does anyone know what the best hospitals in Chicago are to go for a psych hold?  Does it even matter? 

So far she would be involuntary.  My mom is trying to convince her to be voluntary. 

I've never been through this before obviously.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
Re: Emergency suicide related question (not me)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »
Does anyone know how it works if you call 911 or the police for a suicide threat?  A relative is alone in Chicago at a hotel near O'hare airport who is suicidal, took medication (xanax) to make her (we think) too sleepy to actually accomplish something.

We are debating driving there (5 hours) to get her and take her home so she is not alone in Chicago, vs. calling 911.  Not sure how it works to call 911 in a house vs. in a hotel.  My mother is currently on the phone with her so we know she is ok at this moment.  Her psychiatrist believes based on what she took (so far) she will be too asleep to accomplish anything. 

FUCK.

Does anyone know what the best hospitals in Chicago are to go for a psych hold?  Does it even matter? 

So far she would be involuntary.  My mom is trying to convince her to be voluntary. 

I've never been through this before obviously.

wow! I'm so sorry!  I have no knowledge about Chicago hospitals, but if you think there is a suicide attempt then yes call 911 ASAP!

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »
If you call the cops, she will automatically be admitted to the psych ward of whatever hospital they take her to. I think they would take her to the closest hospital.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 11:53:24 AM »
Thanks. I'll update as soon as I know more. 

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 12:12:38 PM »
It is harder than one might expect to call the emergency line in a city you aren't in.

First I called local 911 figuring they would connect me.  They took awhile, then finally found a number, transferred me, the line went dead.

Then I looked up Chicago emergency number, but all they had was 911, so I called the non-emergency number.

Then I waited on hold for awhile.

Then I talked to a lady.  She got the info from me.

Now I am on hold again while she contacts the correct local police dept. 

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 12:17:10 PM »
If you know what hotel she is at, you could contact the front desk and tell them your concerns. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »
It's been years since I called about a suicide but 911 didn't give a shit.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 12:30:47 PM »
What specific hotel is she at? Name and town. I can go from there. But call the hotel, and tell them to call 911 for a patient in room xyz that has taken a potentially lethal dose of xanax.

Hospital really won't matter all that much as long as he/she gets in one quickly. Probably will be Lutheran General in Park Ridge or Gottleib/Loyola. Possibly Northwestern. All very, very well respected hospitals. I think Alexian has a rehab place in Elk Grove, I know nothing about it but Alexian is extremely well respected. Then there is Edwards hospital, which is farther out (Naperville). They have a respected rehab facility that takes on suicidal patients as well.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »
Elk Grove Village police are on their way.  I asked the dispatcher what exactly they would do and she couldn't/wouldn't say much. 

Hotel desk was unhelpful (is a motel 6, maybe you get what you pay for?) when my mom tried to get them to help. 

We do not know room number.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:40:57 PM by MayDay »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
Elk Grove Village police are on their way.  I asked the dispatcher what exactly they would do and she couldn't/wouldn't say much. 

Hotel desk was unhelpful (is a motel 6, maybe you get what you pay for?) when my mom tried to get them to help. 

Good luck. Police are usually required to take a suicidal person to the ER, after that they are usually not involved anymore. The hospital will wait until the patient is stable, then will release them UNLESS they have a psyche ward, in which case they'll be transferred. But the hospital cannot require someone to stay in the place.

I'd recommend someon come to be with your family member, even if it is a 5 or 10 hour drive. I'd also recommend that they be brought back "home" so that a support system is close at hand.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »

Good luck. Police are usually required to take a suicidal person to the ER, after that they are usually not involved anymore. The hospital will wait until the patient is stable, then will release them UNLESS they have a psyche ward, in which case they'll be transferred. But the hospital cannot require someone to stay in the place.

I'd recommend someon come to be with your family member, even if it is a 5 or 10 hour drive. I'd also recommend that they be brought back "home" so that a support system is close at hand.

My dad is in the car now.  Her husband is trying to get a flight ASAP too.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 12:50:31 PM »
No tips, but SO SORRY you are all going through this, MayDay (the person with suicidal feelings obviously included). Very stressful (understatement), I know...

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 12:53:08 PM »
No tips, but SO SORRY you are all going through this, MayDay (the person with suicidal feelings obviously included). Very stressful (understatement), I know...

Thanks. 

OMG its so stressful waiting to hear.  And wondering if we did the right thing (I know better safe than sorry is the rule of thumb, but she specifically told her H not to call the rest of the family, and she then told my mom not to call police, etc,) so I think it is safe to say she will be really angry.  Hopefully no relationships will be permanently damaged. 

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
Sorry this happened, MayDay. I hope your relative gets better soon with help!

Suicide calls are calls for help, even if the person says not to call police or whatever. They should be taken seriously. You all did the right thing.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 01:00:32 PM »
She is voluntarily en route to hospital!

Police just called.  She is going to ER then a 72 hour psych hold voluntarily.  Phew.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 01:02:09 PM »

Thanks. 

OMG its so stressful waiting to hear.  And wondering if we did the right thing (I know better safe than sorry is the rule of thumb, but she specifically told her H not to call the rest of the family, and she then told my mom not to call police, etc,) so I think it is safe to say she will be really angry.  Hopefully no relationships will be permanently damaged.

Don't be sorry for calling 911 even if she is angry.  No matter what happens you and your family did the right thing.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »
Excellent!!!!!! :)

As a friend in the situation multiple times, I remember such moments of relief :)
While I understand that some people do truly want and aim to die, these folks were receptive at the time, and thanked me later.
Your relative now proving receptive bodes well for continued relationships.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »
Sorry for you- it's a very tough spot.   What happens next will depend a lot on that persons interaction with the police.  If she shes looking drugged, they may be able to admit her to ER, ER may be able to slow walk things a bit while they treat her before an actual evaluation- Until she states that she intended to injure herself there may be a longish period of seeing what happens next.
If she is hostile, PD has more options and none of them pleasant for her.
Good luck and prayers for her and those in transit to help her. 

Just saw your update- best course for a bad situation.  Logistics for your responders- clear out her motel room for her.  They may put her to rest for a while so access to her may be spotty.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:09:53 PM by Capsu78 »

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »
Police and ER (I called them directly) say she will be in ER for at least the 4-5 hours it takes my dad to get there. 

I'm going offline for awhile (kids school pick-up) but it looks like all is well for now, and I probably won't know anything more until late tonight or tomorrow.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 01:15:03 PM »

Years ago, a friend of mine living 3000 miles away sent a few cryptic "goodbye" messages via e-mail, and after some discussion with me, a mutual friend decided it was a suicide note. Called the local police, etc. just like you did. He ended up committed to a psych ward as well. He was angry at first because we foiled what did turn out to be a legit suicide attempt (and not his first), but later told us that he was so grateful that we saved his life. You did the right thing.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 01:18:52 PM »
Suicide calls are calls for help, even if the person says not to call police or whatever. They should be taken seriously. You all did the right thing.

Don't be sorry for calling 911 even if she is angry.  No matter what happens you and your family did the right thing.

Agree, you definitely did the right thing!  I'm very sorry this happened and know it must be very tough on all of you.  Hopefully the next steps for treatment will be helpful to her and then you all can find some healing.

I've been the relative who flew out to take care of the one attempting suicide before (in addition to that person getting actual medical/psych care).  It was so upsetting at the time, and frankly even when I think about it much later, but there would never be any regrets about doing whatever it took to get help for that person and get them in a safe place.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 06:56:31 PM »
Update: my dad arrived. She is sleeping and stable-ish. Not in a room as they are full (bed in a central area of some kind). 

No word yet on where we go from here. My dad will try to take her to near a facility him and mom if they let her go. Otherwise he'll likely stay in Chicago with her.

I feel like I've been run over by a truck. Sore muscles. Very wierd.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 07:01:01 PM »
I'm glad to hear she's safe. It's great she has such a loving and supportive family.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

lr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
Very happy for this outcome!

In case this helps anyone else, typing "suicide" into Google gives the number to a 24 hour hotline. In the US, this includes an online chat link with an expert, if you don't want to talk on the phone.

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 07:50:18 PM »
i would NEVER call the cops on someone who is making threats of suicide.
The solution is NOT to bring a stranger over who is trained to use force to get his job done.

Best thing is to call the 1-800 #s and do NOT give your name, or address.

edit:
And as mean and assholeish as this sounds. Remember, it isn't YOUR life.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:51:58 PM by MoonLiteNite »

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »
A friend once called the police for a safety check on a suicidal coworker. She was talking about how depressed she was and there was no point to life.. When she did not show up for her  shift, he called the police to check on her. Sure enough, she had taken an overdose. She was beyond furious with him, but he said he did not care. He could not in good conscience take no action when he feared suicide. She wound up on a psych ward for a while.

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 08:59:25 PM »
The solution is NOT to bring a stranger over who is trained to use force to get his job done.

edit:

By all means, don't call anyone who might actually be able to physically save your loved ones' life. Instead, call some random 800 number that has the ability to do absolutely nothing.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »
Former LEO here.  The last call like that we had, I ended up breaking into the guy's apartment to find him. The ambulance took him to the ER and that was the last of my involvement.

I'm glad everything worked out.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 09:07:19 PM by JLee »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 09:12:46 PM »
Sorry to read about all of this but it sounds like it worked out okay.

The couple of times I've involved police in dealing with someone who had psych problems (or was possibly out cold in an apt), the officer who responded has been extremely helpful. That's the route I would go in this type of emergency . . . or even better try to get the fire department. Not sure if fire department would respond, but they would be my first choice of responders in situations like this due to their training and the fact that they will not hesitate to B&E as long as police if someone is known to be unconscious inside.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »
One more update (I can't sleep, yay Prednisone!) She is being transferred to a psych facility. Legally they cannot release her. My dad was there from 8 pm until 11 pm before talking to anyone involved in her care - there were lots of other bigger emergencies and more "lively" patients. It may still be hours before the transfer actually occurs, but it's supposedly in the works. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2016, 09:42:50 PM »
Yes, it's a process, but thankful to hear that your family has it moving in a positive direction.  I remember vividly how terrifying it was to go through with my relative, just so overwhelming, and my heart goes out to you.  I sincerely hope your relative hears how concerned you all are about her and finds the help she needs to move past this to find new happiness.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 10:40:37 AM »
Hugs!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 04:47:03 PM »

edit:

By all means, don't call anyone who might actually be able to physically save your loved ones' life. Instead, call some random 800 number that has the ability to do absolutely nothing.

+1. In a life threatening emergency, which is what a suicide attempt is, you need emergency responders in the geographic location of the person.

Some person on an 800 number is still "a stranger" and I can't imagine why you'd advise not telling who you are. Why so supcious and cryptic I taking action to save someone's life? You know what the 800 number people would do - call an emergency responder.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!