Author Topic: Emergency Fund Amounts  (Read 3121 times)

panda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Emergency Fund Amounts
« on: February 29, 2016, 11:21:43 AM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:48:22 AM by panda »

asiljoy

• Bristles
Re: Emergency Fund Amounts
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »
Whatever you feel comfortable with. We have 1,000 over what our monthly bills are in checking, then 2 months in a high yield savings account that takes 2-3 days to access, then the rest is in Roths/IRAs/HSA/CDs/Investment accounts... basically anything else that gets tax advantages or better rates. We have the 'springy debt' to cover most issues that may occur during the 2 months of issues and I'm in an industry that makes finding work easier than most, so I feel comfortable with that. But I can definitely understand why some may want to have a bigger net though.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
Pretty much what we do - small buffer in checking, bulk of emergency fund at an online bank.

I can't even think of a scenario where I'd have to have a large check today that I couldn't write in 3 or 4 days without causing too much of a problem.  Maybe an out of town car repair?  Of course, we have a couple of credit cards that could be used to float even if something like that does come up.

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:28:37 AM »
I think an emergency money of a few days or a few weeks can be handled by one or two credit cards. I keep my real emergency fund at Capital One 360, currently paying 0.75% as OP's account. With a somehow stable job, I do not actually think I need a serious emergency fund. So that money is also my travel money, and my dry powder money, etc., currently can support 20 months of my living expenses.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 09:05:27 AM »
I keep a $1000 bufffer in my checking account, and 1 year's worth of expenses in a "high interest" online savings account.

Since my EF is basically just in case of job loss, I'd just continue charging my expenses to a credit card, and transfer times from account to account wouldn't matter.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!