Author Topic: Email from FutureAdvisor when I'm not a client...  (Read 3066 times)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Email from FutureAdvisor when I'm not a client...
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:51:06 AM »
Anyone else receive something like this?

It begins like this:

Consent to Assignment of Services Agreement with FutureAdvisor

To each of our clients and customers:

You are receiving this letter because you have entered into the “Terms of Use and Basic Services and Premium Services Subscription Agreement” (the “Services Agreement”) with Xulu, Inc., which does business as FutureAdvisor (“FutureAdvisor”, “we” or “our”).

It goes on to state that you have to consent to services now, or else cancel services, requiring logging into their site - again, not a member so logging in feels like it would be misleadingly registering yourself -  or you'll automatically be subscribed anyway. Ooookaaaay.

I know for a fact I have not signed up for anything with them at all and have zero interest in them. I do have a Mint account, so it appears they're using that information somehow (as the site is affiliated?). I know Financial Samurai has promoted them, and I believe I've seen them mentioned a few other times on other sites I read/comment on as well, so I'm aware of their services, but I did not sign up with them, and this email is VERY concerning.

But it is disturbing all the same in that to me it feels like they acquired probably lots of email addresses and are sending out misleading spam that requires you to register to un-register.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Email from FutureAdvisor when I'm not a client...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:59:45 AM »
I would look up their phone number independently from this email and call them to verify they actually did send this.

Don't reply or log in or anything, this could be a phishing email.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
I would look up their phone number independently from this email and call them to verify they actually did send this.

Don't reply or log in or anything, this could be a phishing email.

Oh, that did occur to me, and I'd never reply to the email itself. It just seemed like something phishy and wondered if anyone else had received it. I did check and their website has this same info on it, so it does seem to be from them, and not a random scam (but still scammy, just legitimately from them).

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »
Sounds like a scam to get your account information.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 11:15:31 AM »
We have never paid them for anything, but did register once upon a time to check it out.  We received the same e-mail, and aren't concerned about it because we do remember interacting with their site.  Might feel differently if we had no memory of that.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 12:31:37 PM »
Are you sure you never signed up for a free account just to see what they would recommend? I did that a while back and received the same mail.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:50:51 PM »
99% sure I'd never signed up to see what they offer. But I have a swiss cheese memory sometimes, so can't say with 100% certainty.

Will just ignore and assume it was a blanket email to anyone that ever looked at their site before and that I may be forgetting doing so.