Author Topic: Elevation - How much is to much for biking to work?  (Read 2202 times)

tvan

• Stubble
Elevation - How much is to much for biking to work?
« on: June 18, 2015, 03:41:19 PM »
650 feet total on the way there (approx 300 of it is downhill so it's up and down).  The route itself is 9.1 miles each way.  We have showers at work, so no worry about cleaning up. 

Any estimates on how long this might take me?  I am a very fit male but cycling is not my "sport".  As a teen (I'm mid 30's now) I actually used to cycle (road and MTB) competitively.  I just cannot recall the elevations I was plowing through.  I'm guessing after about a month of adaptation this would be an easy ride. 

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Elevation - How much is to much for biking to work?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
Pretty hard to say without know what type of roads these are and how many intersections you might have to sit and wait at.  Nine miles could be done around a half hour once you get used to it.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »
Half an hour would be pushing it for me for a 9 mile commute, but I don't like to get to work too sweaty.  If you're planning on showering and want to challenge yourself every day, 30mins is doable.  I do about 12mph average on my commute (includes stop signs/lights).  Not sure on the elevation changes but it's not flat.

Edit: Also keep in mind, with proper technique (using the right gear to keep the proper cadence) elevation doesn't change your effort level (you shouldn't be pumping harder).  It just means it'll take you longer to get there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 05:38:53 PM by RyanAtTanagra »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 10:59:30 AM »
My neighbor who is a woman in her 50's does 15 miles each way. But it takes her awhile. I think there is more of a time limit (how much time do you want to spend commuting) rather than a body limit.

phwadsworth

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »
I think RyanAtTanagra pretty much nailed it.  Anything faster than about 12mph average means I'm "working", 15+ mph average is an athletic ride for me.  So you're looking at 45-55min commute, imho.

650vert.ft. seems completely doable to me, just take it easy and down shift.  If it was over 1000ft, I'd say you'd need a high level of fitness and commitment to commute.