Author Topic: Electric Toothbrushes vs. Manual  (Read 3298 times)

heybro

• Stubble
Electric Toothbrushes vs. Manual
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:49:34 AM »
I've always used a manual toothbrush without incident.

The last few visits to the dentist, I keep being told to start using an electric toothbrush.  I haven't had any cavities but during the last visit, they commented on gum recession.

Do you like an electric toothbrush or a manual brush?  In either case, which one and why?
And, how does cost fit in if at all (is it better to buy a more expensive one or constantly replace a cheaper one).  For instance, I've seen those battery operated ones.

And, what actually helps stop gums from receding (mouth wash, brushing more gently, using an electric brush).  Is an electric brush actually softer on you?

By the way, my dentist gave me a SOFT brush and it actually is worse for me because I don't feel it cleans my teeth and therefore I want to push even harder on it than a normal brush.  haha.

AND, what is up with all the new toothbrushes now?  They've got pieces of plastic in with the bristles and they are curved like all shapes.  Those hill like contours of the bristles make me feel like I'm hurting my teeth cause it only hits my tooth at some points and not others so it seems like I have to work harder to make full contact (and aren't i supposed to be trying to force it less)!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Electric Toothbrushes vs. Manual
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 01:54:07 AM »
I have a Philips Sonicare.

I will never go back to a manual brush. Buy one and don't look back.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 02:28:12 AM »
I got an electric brush on my dentists advice, due to overbrushing and gum recession. Love it, and now really miss it if I have to use a manual brush. Well worth spending money on.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 03:02:37 AM »

Same here. But just buy a basic one with a timer. It's not actually that expensive. The extra features on the more expensive models are not that useful unless you have some special requirement.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 03:23:09 AM »
I started with an Oral B electric rechargeable a couple years ago.  I've been amazed how much cleaner my teeth are.  My last cleaning was a breeze in large part due to the switch to electric.

krustyburger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 04:32:21 AM »
I've used an electric toothbrush for 4-5 years now and have a severely receded gum line on one of my teeth and a few cavities, so in my experience no, it won't actually prevent that, I probably should have been flossing though.
But at least my teeth feel cleaner.
I've had the same $20 one for the whole time and replace the heads a few times a year so not really expensive at all.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:11:46 AM by casserole_dish »

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 05:18:50 AM »
My dentist told me that if one has proper technique with a manual toothbrush, you will have teeth as clean as with an electric one. With no receding gum lines, since you should be brushing very lightly.

She also recommended an electric toothbrush, in my case.

green daisy

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 05:59:16 AM »
The Sonicare and Oral B toothbrushes both have a mechanism that stop some of their motion if you start pressing too hard.  The Oral B also lights up red when you press to hard.  Not sure if the Sonicare lights up.  The cheap $10 battery brushes don’t stop any motion when you press to hard and will cause more recession.  Gum recession is often caused by brushing too hard.  It’s common with manual toothbrushes because of the scrubbing motion we use with them.  And always use a soft or extra soft toothbrush.  Never a medium or hard. They are way too abrasive on your gums and enamel. 

You’re saying that they don’t feel clean now that you’re using a soft toothbrush.  An oral B or Sonicare will make them feel very clean!  I can usually tell when a patient has switched to an electric toothbrush.  I had a heavy smoker in the other day who usually gets a ton of stain. I had recommended a Sonicare to him last time...we don’t sell them so I have zero incentive to recommend it (other than a much easier cleaning for me)!   He had much less staining this time. I asked him what he was doing differently, and he said using the Sonicare. He loves it! 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:47:00 AM by green daisy »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 08:38:21 AM »
I remember the first time I used an electric tool brush though it was close to ten years ago. It was a marvel how slick and clean my teeth felt compared to the usual manual brush. I can still lick my front teeth and tell my the texture which toothbrush I used.

I really love Nimbus toothbrushes that can be found online because they are truly soft, not fake soft like the crap you find at the store.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 08:39:14 AM »
I never liked the idea of Electric toothbrush and always thought its a joke.

My father has very healthy tooth at his 65 with all manual brushing. my Dentist told me and even given me a try for electric brush.
Then I took it, its been 6 months on EB. The difference i can tell is, when I do manual brushing, i tend to take it casual and my technique were rather just plain.
With ETB, i pay attention to each tooth unconsciously and with its small head, it reaches to most parts. Combine it with water flossing.

I got my Sonicare (dont go for the very basic model) from Kohls after $20 rebate (Sonicare 2 is good enough) costed me net $15/brush and $10/3 head. So my year expense on toothbrush is $15 (provided the brush last for three year).

Dont think too much. At the same time dont over do. Just buy one brush and no heads, if you dont like it, you can just stop using it.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »

I have this one too.  In the last few years I’ve had one small cavity and that’s it.

It crapped out on me last week and I immediately went online to get another.  Costco sells them in a two pack for not much more than I paid for one. I messaged the manufacturer and after some trouble shooting they sent me a free one even though mine is out of warranty. Score!  I was thrilled.  Lol. 

If you get one fill out the registration card, it’ll extend the warranty 6 months.  Costco’s prices are the best too. It’s often on sale along with the replacement heads. 

shelbyautumn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 10:59:36 AM »
I have this one and love it:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonicare-Electric-Rechargeable-Toothbrush/dp/B00QZ67ODE/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1521737902&sr=8-3&keywords=sonicare&th=1

I buy knock-off replacement brush heads, but once I'm out of those I'm going to consider going back to the actual Sonicare brand.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »

Same here. But just buy a basic one with a timer. It's not actually that expensive. The extra features on the more expensive models are not that useful unless you have some special requirement.
+3

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »

I have this one too.  In the last few years I’ve had one small cavity and that’s it.

It crapped out on me last week and I immediately went online to get another.  Costco sells them in a two pack for not much more than I paid for one. I messaged the manufacturer and after some trouble shooting they sent me a free one even though mine is out of warranty. Score!  I was thrilled.  Lol. 

If you get one fill out the registration card, it’ll extend the warranty 6 months.  Costco’s prices are the best too. It’s often on sale along with the replacement heads.
I do wonder if the ones they sell at Costco are the same quality as their other brushes.  I've had two of them die on me after no more than two years of use, while the first Sonicare I bought (seems like I got it at Target) lasted over 10 years.