Author Topic: Electric toothbrushes, consumerist or a good thing?  (Read 27058 times)

Khan

• Pencil Stache
Electric toothbrushes, consumerist or a good thing?
« on: September 14, 2013, 07:13:26 PM »
So what's the forum's thoughts on electric toothbrushes? Better then regular toothbrushes, or another-monetary-pit?

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Electric toothbrushes, consumerist or a good thing?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:26:25 PM »
I really liked mine, and felt like my mouth was cleaner when I was using it.  The brush itself was cheap ($10 in 2003) but the heads were expensive (best prices were at Costco) and then as newer models came out, they got harder to find.  I should really hunt online again though as I miss the electric brush a lot and am worried I am going to start getting cavities - I know I don't brush as well with a regular brush.  To me, saved teeth and dental work is definitely frugal.

I should note that my brush just took AAs, I would use my rechargeables.  I think a person could spend a ton on a brush with built in chargeable batteries but haven't really priced them . . .

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »
I got one from my dentist's office (think it was $50, but had a $10 rebate) Sonicare rechargeable.

Definitely make my teeth feel cleaner, and I have no plaque buildup at all, so cleanings are a breeze. Great gum health and checkups overall.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 09:03:29 PM »
Ever since I got my Braun/Oral-B oh so many years ago, my dental hygienists have been very happy with me.  A very good investment.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »
That's a good question and I have often pondered it myself.  I got the Sonicare during a sale around Christmas.  I always had a ton of plaque and my dentist kept telling me I should get the Sonicare.  It makes a huge difference!  I get the replacement heads at Costco.  Of course it is not as cheap as a plain old toothbrush and I cringe when I have to buy the replacement heads. However, I have to weigh in the long term effects of having better oral hygiene.  I hate dental work and hopefully this antimustachian device will prevent me from needing as much as I would using a regular toothbrush. I think if you are not in a debt emergency then it's okay to get one.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 10:26:34 PM »
My dentist recommended one for both me and my DH but has subsequently said that he seems to do just as well with a manual as an electric, whereas she notices a big difference for me with the electric.  I have pretty dreadful teeth (they are apparently "rough" rather than "smooth," making them harder to get really clean) and a very wet mouth, both of which, it seems, promote germs/decay, so I'm a "tough case."  I got a noticeably expensive electric brush on the dentist's recommendation; she tells me that the inexpensive battery-powered ones often don't really keep spinning (though they sound like they do, i.e., the motors keep running) if you are using enough pressure to brush your teeth.  My recollection is that I tested my cheap battery powered toothbrush against my finger and observed she was right, but how generalizeable that is I don't know.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 07:25:38 PM »
Great question Khanjar! My husband and I both use them and I hate the high cost of replacement brushes. However, we are both now in our fifties and we would spend any amount of money to keep our dental health (8k for his braces last year-Ack!), so I just grit my teeth (gently) and pay for them, usually at Costco. I still cringe every time I install a new brush and wonder how mustachian I really am. Nice to know I have company out there in mustache-growing land.

Serpentstooth, thanks! I never thought to look online for knockoffs. I did buy the Target brand once and hated them. They made the toothbrush really noisy. Of course I bought them well in advance of need, so the 30-day return period had elapsed and I was stuck with them. Simply despise Target's return policy. Has your DH had better luck as far as noise is concerned?

OOBER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Mustache Fabber
    • DIY METAL FABRICATION: Saving Money Through Fabrication
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »
That's a good question and I have often pondered it myself.  I got the Sonicare during a sale around Christmas.  I always had a ton of plaque and my dentist kept telling me I should get the Sonicare.  It makes a huge difference!  I get the replacement heads at Costco.  Of course it is not as cheap as a plain old toothbrush and I cringe when I have to buy the replacement heads. However, I have to weigh in the long term effects of having better oral hygiene.  I hate dental work and hopefully this antimustachian device will prevent me from needing as much as I would using a regular toothbrush. I think if you are not in a debt emergency then it's okay to get one.

Agreed.

I got a Sonicare ~6 years ago for Christmas and absolutely refuse to go back to manual brushing. My dental checkups are much more pleasant now as the hygienist usually comments on how little there is for her to clean.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
We use the Braun Oral B.  Our dental hygienists have noticed the difference in plaque.  My dentist also recommends gargling with Listerine.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
We have Sonicare and I have one with a UV sterilizing contraption for the brush heads.  My sister got it for me at the dental office she works, so I'm not sure what it costs retail.  It cuts down on buying new heads simply because of germs.  (We replace a lot of toothbrushes for this reason).  I do think my teeth are cleaner and gums are healthier.  You only get one set of adult teeth.  Treat them well.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 02:47:23 PM »
I'm going to say consumerist. I skipped the dentists for many years, more than I'd like to admit, and when I finally went she said I've been brushing very well. No gum issues either.

StarryC

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
Another vote in favor.  I have terrible teeth and had a ton of fillings as a young adult and child.  I got the toothbrush on sale at some point between dental visits and my hygienist commented on the improvement without knowing I'd changed.  They also feel cleaner, but that could be psychosomatic. 

I think the real benefit is to gum health and plaque- I'm not sure they do much to prevent cavities, and you should still floss. 

Mine is a plug in rechargeable.  I don't have an outlet in the bathroom, so I charge it once a week or so.  It definitely works better right after a charge.  You only have to replace the brush head 3 times a year, so one 3 pack at $30 is a year's supply for me, and there are cheap knock offs if you feel that $30 a year is too much. 

Mr. Macinstache may have genetically great teeth or a great healthy diet. 

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
It cracks me up that I got a "power toothbrush" ad at the bottom of this thread!  LOL!

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »
I just asked my mom, a CDA (certified dental assistant) for 40+ years, about this, and she answered, "For a person who has dexterity issues or a child who has trouble brushing thoroughly enough, it can be a good idea, for the average person, it isn't necessary." However, she also agreed that anything that gets you to brush more thoroughly or consistently take care of your teeth is a good thing (I love those flosser pick things which cost more than regular floss, but I definitely floss every day with them and my mouth feels cleaner, so to me, it's worth it).

Early retirement = good
Early denture-wearer = bad

minnie1928

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
I'm going to say consumerist. I skipped the dentists for many years, more than I'd like to admit, and when I finally went she said I've been brushing very well. No gum issues either.

That could be related to your personal body as much as how you brush.  My husband didn't go to the dentist for over 10 years and when he finally went they said the same thing...no issues.  Our best friends are dentists and they told me that much of a person's dental history depends on the type of teeth they have.  Apparently, my husband has perfectly hard teeth that are easy to clean.  Where I have soft teeth that require me to have checkups 3x/year.  Either way, I'll never give up my skincare!  It does an amazing job on my teeth!

And, they don't have to be expensive.  I bought a few at target for less than $10 a few years ago and kept them until the current ones died.  I buy the replacement heads at costco when they go on sale

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 05:42:36 PM »
One thing about me is perfect, and it's my teeth.  Yeah, I couldn't be naturally thin and athletic or have great skin.  Nope, my one big perk had to be something that is expensive but fixable and moderately invisible to other people.  I'd definitely trade my excellent teeth for perfect eyesight.  Regardless, it's genetics.  I was fortunate enough to be born with strong teeth and can't claim that my perfect teeth are a result of any action beyond simple brushing. 

In contrast, my 19 year old takes excellent care of her teeth, but she rarely experiences a cavity-free check up.  She inherited a mouth full of Swiss cheese teeth from her Daddy.  Her needs are greater than mine, and I should investigate buying her one of these Sonic Care tooth brushes.  Since I am still paying her health care costs while she's in college, it might be a money saver for me . . . But better health for her would be the real benefit. 

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
My dentist says they do a better job at cleaning (Specifically, he recommended me the SonicCare. No, he does not sell them at his office.) and I tend to agree. While I spent a good chunk on that electric toothbrush, the technician has been very happy at my cleanings and my gums have been happier. I have never had a cavity or dental problem (yet) and I don't ascribe my success to the electric toothbrush, but I can feel a difference. IMO, it is cheaper to keep your teeth in good condition than to save money now and pay more on dental care later. Just one cavity will wipe out any savings you get from not buying an electric toothbrush and more.

I look at it along the same lines as buying healthy food. It might be cheaper to eat ramen every day, but it will be more expensive in the long run.

Monkey stache

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
I use an Oral B one and Walgreens has off brand replacement heads for ~$8-9 for a pack of 3. I definitely think it's worth the cost because of my bad teeth. I still have most of my baby teeth (genetics) and I think a better brush more than pays for itself in the long run.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 04:26:04 AM »
+1 to the Sonicare.  Its not cheap, but I can buy 18 heads (a 4.5 year supply) for the cost of one cavity filling at my Dentist

Rickk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »
I like my oral-B and would not go without it.  That said - this thread made me wonder if the Sonicare is better and I found this on a quick google search:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9487838

I guess if my current one ever breaks I will switch to Sonicare!

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
Generally I have teeth prone to cavities.  Having an electric toothbrush has now put me in the no cavities for 6 years.  That's unheard of for me.  The cost savings and oral health are far far in excess of the cost. 

Consider the cost of a single cavity.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
+1 to the Sonicare.  Its not cheap, but I can buy 18 heads (a 4.5 year supply) for the cost of one cavity filling at my Dentist

+1 for me, too.

I've tried one off-brand of replacements and they were really not good.  They rattled and made a crapton of noise (and in turn, did not provide nearly the sensation of cleaning as the real ones.)  The little rubber gaskets were not very good and they would mildew inside and smell awful in a month or so -- even with lots of cleaning and soaking.  I went back to the name brand (4-packs at Sams for about the price of a normal 2-pack).

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »
I'm with all the bad-teeth people who switched to Sonicare--I've had one new cavity in the past 8 years, since switching. That's versus 1-1.5 a year before that. So definitely worth it to me.

My current brush, which I got for free six years ago (by filling surveys), is still hardy despite twice-daily usage by two people (using different brush heads of course). The one before didn't break either (I just moved to a different continent with different electric standards and so left the brush behind). This summer, my husband unthinkingly plugged our American brush into a French socket, thus frying the charger; I found a new one on amazon for $21.

I also buy the replacement brushes from amazon--I put them on a save and subscribe program, not only are they cheaper than in my local store, they also help me get to the 5-item threshold on certain months (i.e. increase my rebate).

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »
I used spin brushes for years because I was too cheap to get a sonicare. But I finally broke down, and I can say there is a big difference for me using the sonicare. My kids also have much cleaner teeth with the sonicare, though we haven't seen the dentist yet, so we will know even more then.

I don't think it's something you purchase while in a debt emergency, but I don't think it is consumerist as long as you can budget for it and get the heads as cheaply as possible. I waited until I saw them at the local walgreens for 15% less than the lowest price online, and picked up 5 for my whole family. I will do the same sort of thing for the heads, finding them as cheaply as possible.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »
FWIW I am pretty shocked by the strong trend towards this seemingly very consumerist item.

My personal feeling is if you get some kind of functional gain, its not a luxury or consumerist any more than a good pair of boots that will last for year and years or an efficient but expensive furnace.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 06:45:19 PM »
FWIW I am pretty shocked by the strong trend towards this seemingly very consumerist item.

My personal feeling is if you get some kind of functional gain, its not a luxury or consumerist any more than a good pair of boots that will last for year and years or an efficient but expensive furnace.

My OralB was strongly recommended by both dentists I see.  I might have thought your thought until I used it and saw the results in my next dental visit.  YMMV

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 09:16:21 AM »
Another +1 for the Sonicare. I did not get lucky in the tooth gene department, and it has made a pretty significant difference. Also, I like how mine has the built in timer to more or less force you to brush your teeth for an appropriate amount of time (as opposed to the 10 sec I might do with a manual brush when I'm tired.)

pdxcyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 06:31:05 PM »
I'm surprised by so many electric toothbrush users here. I have used one in the past but didn't care for it. For some reason I drool all over when I use electric, plus I didn't care for the refill brush costs. I just use the free manual toothbrushes I get from the dentist every time.

cavalofun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 08:09:51 PM »
I'm a Registered Dental Hygienist in NJ.  I can honestly tell you the cost of simply brushing your teeth and well is an astronomical savings moneywise and painwise.  Electric tb's might seem like an expense at first but they do a phenomenally better job or let us say they do a lot better than we are usually WILLING to take the effort and time to do while brushing our teeth (myself included).  On that note yeah they are pricey at first and if you wanna get one at least get one that plugs into the wall not one with remote controller batteries (those really only work marginally better than a manual tb).  That said if your willing to do the actual 2 minute good brushing with a soft manual tb your usually fine.  But as much as I the honest hygienist admits i hate doing as well, want the greatest tip for the best teeth ever saving tons of money in the long run on cavity and periodontal bills?  Just floss once a day.  You and your dentist will be amazed at the difference.  And if your hygienist is saying about flossing and you already do ask her to teach you how cause I see tons of people doing the work but not using the proper technique and losing the benefits. ;)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 11:36:46 PM »

+1 for me, too.

I've tried one off-brand of replacements and they were really not good.  They rattled and made a crapton of noise (and in turn, did not provide nearly the sensation of cleaning as the real ones.)  The little rubber gaskets were not very good and they would mildew inside and smell awful in a month or so -- even with lots of cleaning and soaking.  I went back to the name brand (4-packs at Sams for about the price of a normal 2-pack).

I agree with you completely. Off topic alert: My mom is an avid Scrabble player and I only play when I visit her. I'm a crossworder, so I occasionally play words she doesn't know but are perfectly "legal" (etui, anybody?). Last visit, I played "spork". She didn't challenge it, but looked it up in her Scrabble Dictionary, that holy of holies. Turns out it's NOT there, lol! I told her it is an eating utensil, available free at Taco Bell and therefore should be in the Scrabble Dictionary, but she won't let me hear the end of it. So, I am carrying a lovely plastic-wrapped spork around in my purse, which I will present to her on my next visit.
P.S. I won the game.
P.P.S. Love "crapton". Wonder if it might make the Scrabble Dictionary someday?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »
Another vote for an electric toothbrush.  I've had a Braun Oral B for years and love it.  My semi-annual cleanings at the dentist are a breeze.  Replacement heads are expensive but I get mine at Costco.   Will consider Sonicare when time comes to replace my current brush (the battery is still going strong but there is some wear and tear on the soft plastic grips after about 10 years...)

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 08:22:23 AM »
Consumerist.  As with everything, some may value that arena a little differently so to each their own.  i.e. no face-punch required even though I have a different opinion.  :)

Semi-side note: I've heard good things about the Paleo diet (and other similar ones) and ease of self dental care (tooth sensitivity, gums, plaque levels, etc.) for people who previously had issues before while on the standard American diet.  This tidbit could be somewhat anecdotal with severe selection bias. Also, I'm sure some may have great natural teeth regardless of diet (to a point assuming no major vitamin/mineral deficiencies) of course.  It makes sense to me that a negative correlation would exist between dental health and consumption of sugars and starches and therefore the base requirements of personal dental cleaning gear may vary dramatically (and thus alter the values of toothbrush types).

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 09:24:56 AM »
I'd call it YMMV.

I've spent a lot on dental bills over the years.  A LOT.  I also get to spend more now, because apparently a prior dentist did bad work on my mouth that needs to be redone.  (There is a persistent red infection under a crown put in 3 years ago for example, which I'm told shouldn't happen.)  This year it's $1300 (pre-tax) and next year I've got another $1300 in work planned.

So, for me, an electric toothbrush saves me money.  Could I brush and set a timer to brush for two minutes?  Yes, absolutely, so this can be seen as unneccessary.  Did I, in 32 years?  No.  Only 2 years ago when I got the electric and got tired of high dental bills and got a dentist that scared me into flossing every day, brushing two minutes, etc, did anything change.  So for me, I save money overall this way and get better cleaning for really bad teeth than I would if I used a manual and set an alarm.

But I do hate the high replacement head price, so I use them much longer than I should and I try to coupon to better prices.

mm31

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »
Electric toothbrushes just cream laziness to me. Your mouth isn't that large a space, the motions aren't that hard, and you only have to do them for 2-3 minutes. It's really not that hard.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
Muscle over motor for me too. Never realized how mainstream they were until I went to college.

TedDut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »
Electrical toothbrush is definitely a good investment. I have it for 4 years and since then I have really no problems with teeth.
Good electrical toothbrush you can get for 30$, but if you search for best then you might look at this link:
http://www.everydayquality.com/4/which-electric-toothbrush-is-best

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2015, 03:05:31 PM »
I'm lucky enough to have very good teeth. DH, alas, is not. But then one day my dentist suddenly started talking about my gum pockets. I had never even thought about having gum pockets.
I went to Costco and bought us matching Sonicare toothbrushes the same day.
My teeth are still good and now so are my gums. As someone else posted, you only get one set of adult teeth. And gums. Take care of them.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2015, 05:36:46 PM »
Love the electric brush, then flossing, and gargle.  Keeping the gums healthy is the real deal.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2015, 05:46:29 PM »
Love my Sonicare.  Definitely does a better job cleaning my teeth than a regular toothbrush.   

act0fgod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2015, 08:27:53 PM »
I like my oral-B and would not go without it.  That said - this thread made me wonder if the Sonicare is better and I found this on a quick google search:

I'd say the paper was put on by a group backed by sonicare.

This one was likely funded by oral-b.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25122979

You can find multiple articles that say one is better than the other.  What you can't find is an article that says a manual brush is better than an electric toothbrush.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »

You can find multiple articles that say one is better than the other.  What you can't find is an article that says a manual brush is better than an electric toothbrush.

I dunno, when I was reading your link off the margin I saw a link to this article that says the electric beats the manual:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8841896

and this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9487840

and this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23674927

And that's when I stopped looking at the articles in the margin. 

I don't have a dog in this fight, I really, really don't care what kind of toothbrush people use.  But there is some evidence electric toothbrushes work better, and for me personally there is no question the Sonicare gets my teeth cleaner.  Maybe I'm just lazy or don't know how to brush my teeth, but I'm willing to pay for results. 

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2015, 10:51:35 PM »
Electric. I have an OralB, but I travel frequently and hate to lug the charger around, so I sometimes revert to manual backup. My teeth are perceptibly cleaner when using the spinning head. It's also reduced my yearly cavity to no cavities. I'm sold.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »

I've been using the same Oral-B for about 12+ years and it is going strong.  I really notice the difference in how clean my teeth feel if I'm traveling and using a regular toothbrush.  So much better after I get home and use the Oral-B.  DH has a long-abandoned Sonicare, so I'll co-opt it should my Oral-B die, or if the current CostCo pack of brush heads runs out.  FWIW, I'm 38, have been using an Oral-B since about age 22, and have never needed a real filling (just some enamel once over a soft spot).

Kouhri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2015, 03:57:54 AM »

I dunno, when I was reading your link off the margin I saw a link to this article that says the electric beats the manual:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8841896

and this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9487840

and this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23674927

And that's when I stopped looking at the articles in the margin. 

I don't have a dog in this fight, I really, really don't care what kind of toothbrush people use.  But there is some evidence electric toothbrushes work better, and for me personally there is no question the Sonicare gets my teeth cleaner.  Maybe I'm just lazy or don't know how to brush my teeth, but I'm willing to pay for results.

Eh... so you agree?  Electric wins (Bolded stuff mine)

Personally I use a manual about 50% of the time and electric the other 50%. I definitely notice the difference between a manual and electric clean. My teeth feel clean after a manual brush. My teeth feel new after an electric brush. Plus the published evidence supports it so hey.

I don't really get the comments saying that it's consumerist or antimustashian, isn't mustachianism about working out how to spend only on what adds value to your life and also looking after "future me"? I think having my chompers remain intact for as long as humanly possible is pretty darn valuable.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2015, 06:29:05 AM »
Another vote for the wonders of a Sonicare.

I have been using one for maybe 10 years and can totally feel the difference whenever I happen to use a manual toothbrush.   I have had one cavity in my adult life, and it was in a crack in a molar.   I got my husband to use one a few years ago, and am the most enthusiastic about them for younger children (who just aren't going to do a wonderful job brushing) so I just got one for my 4 year old daughter for this christmas.

I am not a big fan of the dentist and while my daughter will probably go once a year for a checkup until she's into her teens and doesn't seem to have problem teeth, DH and I only go every 2-5 years or if we notice a problem.   I believe that brushing and flossing well are what are really key to good preventative dental care (so Sonicare is big part of that) and the dentist really is not preventative as much as there to fix a problem if it arises. 

Buying a sonicare once every 10 years or so, and then replacement heads (which many stores now sell their own off-brand heads that work with it for much less) are much less expensive than getting a dentist to do a "cleaning" for you every 6 months.   So, I see the sonicare as having the potential to be a big money saver.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »
[
Eh... so you agree?  Electric wins (Bolded stuff mine)

Doh!  <smacks forehead>  Sorry about that, I read it exactly backwards. 

moustacheverte

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
Where I live, the worst price for 3x Oral-B brushes is 25$.

That's 8.33$ per. A regular toothbrush costs around 3$. That's a 5$ difference every month. Dentists and hygienists seem to agree that electric is much better for most people and a visit there costs around 150$ (50$ after insurance).

I figure the extra 5$ per month is worth it because it saves us tons on dentist fees in the long run.

I tried the cheapo knockoffs and they were nowhere near as good, the plastic pieces weren't well adjusted together and they were always pinching my cheeks while brushing. I threw them all away and fork for genuine Oral-B brushes now. They are cheaper online and we stocked up when SIG electronics was still in business, selling 3 packs for 9.99.

If anybody knows a reliable source for genuine brushes at a price similar to SIG electronics in Canada, I'd love to restock.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2015, 12:03:44 PM »
As someone with swiss-cheese teeth and a (poor) diet that encourages problems, electric toothbrushes are a godsend. It's easy to get everywhere because you only need placement, rather than range of motion; that means the corners of the mouth are as easily brush-able as the front. Also, it's getting far more passes across the teeth because of the high-frequency motion. I thought that Oral-B and Sonicare were comparable in effectiveness, although the Sonicare definitely moves more quickly.

The cost half of the equation may also be different for me, as I tend to stretch the lifetimes of my hygiene consumables. Razor blades last me several months, and I've been using the same sonicare head for at least 8 months.

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
Electric toothbrushes are going to cost a fair bit more than a manual toothbrush.  If you go for bi-annual cleanings you should usually get a free toothbrush at each cleaning.

My dentist highly recommended that I get an electric toothbrush.  I figure if an electric toothbrush avoids one dental procedure I probably paid for the electric toothbrush for a number of years.  I have dental insurance, but there is a co-pay for fillings and other procedures that adds up quick. 

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2015, 02:10:08 PM »
I have excellent teeth but terrible gums, and switching to Sonicare two years ago has made a visible difference in my dental health to the point where my dental hygienist visits are now a piece of cake. I have been buying generic replacement heads from China from an eBay seller for about three dollar or so a piece, shipping included, and I honestly have no noticeable issue whatsoever with quality. At that price, I can afford to replace the head every few months. The only thing I don't like about the Sonicare brush is that the battery cannot be replaced easily, unless you go for a DIY solution.