Author Topic: Electric Providers in Texas  (Read 5738 times)

OneDogGP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Electric Providers in Texas
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:58:42 AM »
This has probably been asked before, but have any of you changed energy providers in Texas and if so how was your experience?  I'm currently with TXU and going month to month, so my kwh rate is 15.3 and I see sub 10 kwh rates by other providers.  I could change to a different package with TXU, but hate the idea of signing up for 2 or 3 year terms with potential early termination fees, etc.  Thoughts?

Thanks for any advice.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Electric Providers in Texas
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 12:55:09 PM »
you can compare rates online, but it always ends up around 12c/kw for me because I use so little electricity that they charge me more per kw. I have tried txu and bounce and they both ended up being the same. bounce sends me a $25 gift card every few months for electricity points though :)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30:46 PM »
I used to live in TX.  The only thing I don't miss about it is the climate.

We switched electricity providers a few times.  We never had a problem, hiccup, or surprise.  Super easy to set up the transfer--just sign up online, and it all happens automagically.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:51:01 PM »
My rate is 10.5c/kWh (+ a flat $22.50 "Service availability charge") through Pedernales Electric.  Never had a problem.  I've actually never heard of contracts with power providers -- that's new to me.

WorkinProgress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »
I've never had an issue when switching providers.  One company (CNP) distributes all electricity to the providers in my area, so it's pretty seamless when changing.  I used powertochoose.org to search for the best rate, and ended up signing a 1 year contract for 9.4c/kWh that Spark Energy ended up offering again for renewal.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 12:19:34 PM »
I pick the cheapest 6-month contract I can find and have tried to align the contract expiration dates with the cyclical trough of wholesale prices. The goal is to get a decent six-month rate on the downside of the trough around late August and get a new contract in February while the six month rate is still below the one-year rate. It doesn't make sense to try to hit the absolute bottom of the trough, which usually occurs in late fall, because then you need a new contract at the top of the cycle in May or June. My True Cost has nice price-trend graphs and rate comparisons. I also use Power to Choose because providers sometimes offer special deals there that I haven't been able to find elsewhere.

I did have a problem earlier this year where a company incorrectly switched me into their plan without my consent. The issue was resolved with minimal effort on my part, though it did take more than a month to get back with the company I was originally on and have the appropriate monies refunded.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »
I pick the cheapest 6-month contract I can find and have tried to align the contract expiration dates with the cyclical trough of wholesale prices. The goal is to get a decent six-month rate on the downside of the trough around late August and get a new contract in February while the six month rate is still below the one-year rate. It doesn't make sense to try to hit the absolute bottom of the trough, which usually occurs in late fall, because then you need a new contract at the top of the cycle in May or June. My True Cost has nice price-trend graphs and rate comparisons. I also use Power to Choose because providers sometimes offer special deals there that I haven't been able to find elsewhere.

I did have a problem earlier this year where a company incorrectly switched me into their plan without my consent. The issue was resolved with minimal effort on my part, though it did take more than a month to get back with the company I was originally on and have the appropriate monies refunded.

+1 on Power to Choose. I go there every 6 months or so and renew with the lowest cost/longest lock-in period.

OneDogGP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:04:54 PM »
Thanks for all the good info.  It comforts me to hear that nobody went through hell with cut overs, etc.

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
+1 on Power to Choose. I go there every 6 months or so and renew with the lowest cost/longest lock-in period.

^This.  In the deregulated market this is how you get the best price.  Month to month is where they screw you.  You are essentially just changing who you pay since the lines are owned by someone else (Centerpoint in Houston for example) so no physical change actually takes place.  The bill just goes to a different company.  Don't worry to much if you have never heard of the company.  The cheaper players don't spend much on marketing, that is why their rates are lower.  The guys getting the electricity to your house are the same as they have ever been.

Pex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »
I change for whatever is cheapest constantly.  I live in Texas as well.  Use the www.powertochoose.org.  Don't go to any of the idiotic rip off sites trying to distract you from the state-run site.

Pick the cheapest rate, and switch when you are within 14 days of term.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
I change for whatever is cheapest constantly.  I live in Texas as well.  Use the www.powertochoose.org.  Don't go to any of the idiotic rip off sites trying to distract you from the state-run site.

Pick the cheapest rate, and switch when you are within 14 days of term.

My True Cost is not an idiotic rip-off site. It's quite good and run by Centerpoint. I particularly like how they bundle everything in to give you an overall price based on your historical usage, not just the $/kWh figure that needs to be investigated further via the EFL. My True Cost doesn't partner with every REP, but I think it's at least worth a check against Power to Choose even though most of the time I expect there's a better deal on Power to Choose.