Author Topic: Electric longboards  (Read 1892 times)

mustache you a question

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Electric longboards
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has experience with electric longboards?  I would like to start biking to work but am worried that I will sweat a lot and feel terrible at work (have to dress in slacks and button down shirt for work).  Thinking one of these longboards would be a good solution.  I only live about 5 miltes from work.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
Re: Electric longboards
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:43:09 AM »
How about an Ebike?

Longboards require a fairly good surface to ride on. With soft wheels, a rock or something could toss you off as the wheels lock up.

Ebike would be much more practical.

Rockies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Electric longboards
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »
I got really excited by electric longboards, but then quickly realized they were not practical for my situation. As the other poster mentioned you need a fairly good surface to ride on.

Where I live we get real winters, and in the spring/summer/fall there is rain to contend with. Most electric long boards really are only meant for operation on dry pavement.

If your typical commuiting route has a nice pathway/road with dry pavement the majority of the time I'd say go for it. If you have a bunch of extra money to burn on a fun toy, or if you are super duper passionate about e-skateboard specifically I'd also say go for it.

But if you live in a non "perfect" place, you can get an e-bike for about the same cost (depending of course on quality, type of bike and battery size), and ride it on a variety of surfaces in a variety of weather conditions and still have tons of fun. Nice thing about an e-bike is if you also want to get a bit of a workout you just have to pedal.

Finally if you do decide to get an electric longboard, I'd look into getting a used one to save cash. 1000$ is a lot of money to spend if you dont end up using it much.