Author Topic: Electric "Indoor/Outdoor" Grills  (Read 5891 times)

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
Electric "Indoor/Outdoor" Grills
« on: September 15, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
While searching for small gas grills, I found out that any open flame grill would void my lease.  I am, however, able to have an electric grill like the George Foreman linked below.  This option still allows me to grill up some burgers and steaks, won't smoke up the house (and set off the smoke alarm) like a grill pan, and won't heat up the house while I cook.  Anyone have any experience with these?  Is it worth an $80 buy-in?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/George-Foreman-240-Indoor-Outdoor-Grill-GGR50B/931796

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Electric "Indoor/Outdoor" Grills
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:21:16 PM »
Why not buy a used Foreman grill and put it on a table?  Pretty much the same thing. 

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »
Used? Really? Some things are worth the money and mattresses and cooking vessels are two of them. Is it just me or is that not disgusting?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »
Used? Really? Some things are worth the money and mattresses and cooking vessels are two of them. Is it just me or is that not disgusting?

Maybe I'm gross.  I just wash the "cooking vessels" and didn't think twice about it.  We also have a used grill (a real one, not a George Foreman one).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
No experience with this, but if you just want to cook outside, consider a hot plate of some kind.  That would be more flexible -- you could use it inside, with different pans/pots, etc.

For example, you could get a cast iron pan smoking hot on a hot plate, but a george foreman probably won't have the thermal mass to get a good initial sear.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »
I've seen indoor George Foreman's woefully neglected back in college.  The ick factor is really high for me when rancid meat fat and juices get everywhere.  I would only buy this item new and then treat as a forever purchase.

As for the sear and such - yes I appreciate a restaurant quality steak but anything is a step up from my current skills ha ha.  I'm thinking I might risk it.  Also, the idea of having a convenient, outdoor cooking method would be helpful in the Florida summers.

For those who own one of these, what has been your experience with the heat level?  The reviews on Walmart.com (hundreds) are largely positive.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 06:45:55 PM »
You cant even have one on the ground, are you sure the lease is not just about a balcony / porch?

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:27:18 AM »
You cant even have one on the ground, are you sure the lease is not just about a balcony / porch?

The lease is unambiguous about the grill ban but ambiguous about what constitutes the space surrounding my screen patio.  Either way there's no loophole I can figure out to justify the risk of an open-flame grill.  (Incidentally, there's a large grilling area with three beautiful gas grills on the property...if I want to pay $75 to use them. lol)

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »
If you have an absentee landlord I would just ignore it and do whatever you wanted.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
If you have an absentee landlord I would just ignore it and do whatever you wanted.

Large complex. Active management team.  Fleet of golf carts running around every day. 

As a burgeoning Mustachian, I can see myself becoming more of a renegade but the rule is there for a reason.  I wouldn't want the stoners next door to break the rule and accidentally burn our building down so I will lead by example on this one. Ha ha.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »

Large complex. Active management team.  Fleet of golf carts running around every day. 

As a burgeoning Mustachian, I can see myself becoming more of a renegade but the rule is there for a reason.  I wouldn't want the stoners next door to break the rule and accidentally burn our building down so I will lead by example on this one. Ha ha.

So they will probably come knocking even w/ an electric grill.  I'd verify w/ them before you buy.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 05:26:04 PM »
I have a really small counter top one that was only about $30.  It works great, and is especially nice in the winter.  Not sure why these have gotten so expensive; are you feeding more than a couple of people at a time off of this thing?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 05:42:32 PM »
I think they're terrible. We got one as a gift and gave up on it rather quickly. I'd just not do any "grill" type recipes, because the whole point of grilling for flavor is the smoke, not the char. Electric grills give you char, yes, but no flavor whatsoever. Food tastes burnt yet sterile.

Horrible invention.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 05:50:31 PM »
I think they're terrible. We got one as a gift and gave up on it rather quickly. I'd just not do any "grill" type recipes, because the whole point of grilling for flavor is the smoke, not the char. Electric grills give you char, yes, but no flavor whatsoever. Food tastes burnt yet sterile.

Horrible invention.
Mine is from someone that received it as a wedding present, never used it, and gave it to me as they were cleaning out their kitchen.  I also received an unused bread maker on the same visit. 

I no longer have my Foreman grill, but it was a decent way to cook dinner quickly.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:42:02 PM by windypig »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 10:56:50 PM »
Fast and cheap dinners await you!   I recommend paying for a $40 version unless you usually cook for 4 large adults or more.  (get one that can hold two very large chicken breasts for that price, not a large one).

It is fast - you can put frozen burgers / boneless chicken and other foods on it.  Dinner in a bout 15 minutes.  Uses less energy than the stovetop / oven meals.   

We used one 3x per week for about 3 years before it died (a cheaper $40 version).