Author Topic: Efflorescence on basement floor  (Read 4144 times)

MMMdude

• Bristles
Efflorescence on basement floor
« on: March 08, 2015, 03:35:47 PM »
I have owned my house for fifteen years and after owning it a few years slowly noticed white chalky spots on my basement floor.  I believe this is what they call efflorescence and from what I understand it is due to moisture leaching thru the foundation and carrying minerals thru the basement floor.  It hasn't really spread much and otherwise my basement floor is in strong condition.  My plan is to paint the basement floor with the paints specially made for this purpose.  I'm not sure why most people paint their basement floors in the first place.

Anyways, my question is whether others have this problem and what they have done, or if anyone has any advice in general.

finitelement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Efflorescence on basement floor
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »
I have hard water, and when something leaks (like a pipe or my humidifier), and then drys, it leaves a white chalky substance.  Are you sure that's not it? I dont see why water would be seeping in from the floor all of the sudden.  I also have efflorescence due to seepage on from my walls, but not the floor.  Do you have drainage in your basement that takes care of high ground water?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
My plan is to paint the basement floor with the paints specially made for this purpose.  I'm not sure why most people paint their basement floors in the first place.

Why bother with painting, do you use it as living space?  You might look into using muriatic acid to remove the deposits if they really bother you.

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 06:23:12 PM »
I have hard water, and when something leaks (like a pipe or my humidifier), and then drys, it leaves a white chalky substance.  Are you sure that's not it? I dont see why water would be seeping in from the floor all of the sudden.  I also have efflorescence due to seepage on from my walls, but not the floor.  Do you have drainage in your basement that takes care of high ground water?

yup i have a drainage thing in my basement in the event water gets down there

no leaks from any pipes

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:24:55 PM »
My plan is to paint the basement floor with the paints specially made for this purpose.  I'm not sure why most people paint their basement floors in the first place.

Why bother with painting, do you use it as living space?  You might look into using muriatic acid to remove the deposits if they really bother you.

It doesn't necessarily bother me if it presents no future structural problems.  It's just puzzling to me.  Also...when I eventually sell the house i would want these spots to either be gone or covered up with basement floor sealant.

finitelement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 07:33:12 PM »

yup i have a drainage thing in my basement in the event water gets down there

no leaks from any pipes

You have drainage in your basement, like a drain on your basement floor? Do you have anything for water underneath the footing? Like a sump pit to pump groundwater away do your basement is floating in water?

MetalCap

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 06:37:53 AM »
Carefull with paint as even some "moisture sensitve" paint will bubble.  The issue if you have no leaks is your sub base of your slab.  You should check the drainage around your house (gutters, downspouts)  it could mean you're getting too much moisture under the slab.  This can lead to other problems down the road.

If you can live with it, its better to not cover it up so you can keep an eye on it.  If you put flooring over it, make sure you put a vapor barrier between the slab and flooring otherwise you'll be riding the waves on your floor.

Good luck

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!