Author Topic: Is This a Realistic Budget?  (Read 7154 times)

Deepsouth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is This a Realistic Budget?
« on: August 14, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
I'm trying to figure if we can ER in one or two years.  These are estimated expenses for two people. Does it look too extreme?  I don't want to ER to be too extreme in the finances department.  We will have healthcare, so no expense there.  We also should have $40k for travel and emergencies etc.  Please let me if I could be more frugal in some areas or need to spend more.

1.     Netflix         $10 Mo      
2.   Internet              $50 Mo      
3.   OSGLI Life Ins      $10 Mo      
4.   Prudential Life      $20 Mo      
5.   Property Tax      $70 Mo
6.     Condo Dues      $220 Mo
7.   Cell                      $50 Mo   
8.   Auto Insurance-1 car   $90 Mo
9.      Electric                     $100
10.    Groceries                  $500 Mo
11.    Entertainment           $400 Mo

Deepsouth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Is This a Realistic Budget?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »
Sorry about the formatting.  Not sure what happened there.  lol

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »
Clothing/hair?
Transportation?
Other utilities?
Misc spending (landscaping, stamps, etc)?

I think it seems mostly reasonable, but not as detailed as I would feel comfortable with. Though, I love and enjoy budgeting.

Deepsouth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »
Yeah you are right.  There aren't any other utilities etc other than Electric.  Water/sewer/maintenance/insurance/trash all fall under the associations responsibility.  I was going to take misc spending out of the entertainment area.  I was going to give us $200 per month each to spend on what we see fit.  I do need to add a clothing/hair category though.  I'm guessing this would be ok?

Clothing/Hair     $50 mo
Auto Fuel          $50 mo

My wife mentioned about getting rid of the one car, but I would like to keep it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »
The grocery budget looks a little insane for two people - we spend less than half of that. $400 is a lot of entertainment, but I guess that depends what you do. Are you sure you need life insurance - is one of you dependent on the other?

Deepsouth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
The grocery budget looks a little insane for two people - we spend less than half of that. $400 is a lot of entertainment, but I guess that depends what you do. Are you sure you need life insurance - is one of you dependent on the other?

My wife thought it was high as well.  She likes to throw down and drink some beer, so I was figuring about $100 per month for beer at the grocery store.  I'm also not a fan of life insurance.  For $25 per month we will both have 50k coverage.  I don't think it's needed but she feels more comfortable with it.  She did mention using the $10 Cell plan with republic wireless though.  That would save us $30-$40 per month.  She says we need to go carless, but I would rather have the car and lose the life insurance etc.  Do you think we should lose the car?  We will be living in FL and I would love to drive to the beach every few days or so. 

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
There are a couple of things that stick out to me: Electric, travel, and car

I am not sure what electricity prices are in Florida, but remember that the summers a hot and since you are not working, you will most likely be at home longer during the hot hours of the day.

Second, I am not sure if it is included in your emergency money, but there is nothing set aside for evacuations from hurricanes. 

Last, there is nto money for registration or maintenance on your car.  I am not sure how strict Florida is regarding inspections, but might you have to eventually replace the car?  Is there a plan for that?

Deepsouth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
There are a couple of things that stick out to me: Electric, travel, and car

I am not sure what electricity prices are in Florida, but remember that the summers a hot and since you are not working, you will most likely be at home longer during the hot hours of the day.

Second, I am not sure if it is included in your emergency money, but there is nothing set aside for evacuations from hurricanes. 

Last, there is nto money for registration or maintenance on your car.  I am not sure how strict Florida is regarding inspections, but might you have to eventually replace the car?  Is there a plan for that?

You are right.  I honestly need a category for those other columns (depressing).  Registration is pricey in FL.  I think this will add a ton.  Maybe I should do what my wife says and lose the car?  Public transit does go everywhere there.  I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go to that extreme though and have 0 cars?  Electric should be about right, since it's only a $650 foot condo.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 11:01:27 AM »
How big of a nest egg do you have?

If its enough for 1 of you to live until you die, drop the life insurance. Life insurance is good for people just starting out with young kids. You do not seem in that bucket, so drop it.

400-500 a month for good is very reasonable. I can easily spend double that on 3 people to eat healthy / organic / delicious, but I am willing to put more money there.

Do you have bikes? Where does bike repair / replacement come out of?
0 eating out? (which is good, but do you actually do this?)
Household stuff that eventually wears out like furniture / sheets?
Daily use stuff like toothpaste / soap / detergent?

jadbgee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lip Broom
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »
I'm not sure of your age and health, but your life insurance seems high.  I have a $1,000,000 policy through AIG for $37 a month (but I'm relatively young at 29).  Our auto insurance is also less, at $70 for full coverage for two cars.  It's through a great agent and Allied insurance.  Not sure if that helps any, but might be something to look into.

Deepsouth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »
How big of a nest egg do you have?

If its enough for 1 of you to live until you die, drop the life insurance. Life insurance is good for people just starting out with young kids. You do not seem in that bucket, so drop it.

400-500 a month for good is very reasonable. I can easily spend double that on 3 people to eat healthy / organic / delicious, but I am willing to put more money there.

Do you have bikes? Where does bike repair / replacement come out of?
0 eating out? (which is good, but do you actually do this?)

Household stuff that eventually wears out like furniture / sheets?
Daily use stuff like toothpaste / soap / detergent?

Dividend income and disability are about $1,000 per month, I have a 457 that should have 200k by that time as well.  We also have 2 pensions starting in 15 years.

Deepsouth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »
I'm not sure of your age and health, but your life insurance seems high.  I have a $1,000,000 policy through AIG for $37 a month (but I'm relatively young at 29).  Our auto insurance is also less, at $70 for full coverage for two cars.  It's through a great agent and Allied insurance.  Not sure if that helps any, but might be something to look into.

True.  I'm old and fat which doesn't help with life insurance rates!  lol.  I was guestimating on the auto insurance.  I wont actually know what it is until we relocate and remove our teenage driver.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:26:23 AM by Deepsouth »

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »
One thing I don't often see budgeted here is big ticket items that don't need to be replaced very often but will invariably need to be replaced. For instance, your car is paid off I assume but how old and how reliable is it? Is it the last car you will ever own? If not, how will you replace it? I'm not just asking the OP, these are questions I'd have for myself as well. Granted, I'm pretty new to all this but it seems like a lot of people are exquisitely planning for the long term but are so focused on the minutia of monthly expenses they seem to be forgetting about the big ~10 year expenses. Maybe I'm just too new to have seen those particular posts/budgets. For instance, I know I'm going to probably replace my wife's car in the next 5 years (it's 12 years old now). Not sure how we're going to do that yet. I also have a house, which while pretty solid, I'm going to have to put money into as time goes on.

The short of it, how does everyone budget the big items? Emergency fund seems like the catchall I see posted all the time but again, it seems I never see anyone budget for replenishing the emergency fund.

sarah8001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 05:47:50 AM »
Maybe I'm missing it, but what about healthcare? This is the one that always gets me. For me and my fiance, if we were buying private insurance, I would need to budget about 250 per month. Probably 450 for the family we hope to have when we FIRE.

Deepsouth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 08:50:36 AM »
Maybe I'm missing it, but what about healthcare? This is the one that always gets me. For me and my fiance, if we were buying private insurance, I would need to budget about 250 per month. Probably 450 for the family we hope to have when we FIRE.

Great question.  We have healthcare provided via my disability.

Deepsouth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 08:57:35 AM »

I probably need to be more granular about emergencies in the budget.  Out of the 40k I was going to put 20 aside for used car and other emergencies.  The other 20k was going to be used for flights to low cost countries.  I have been to Guatemala twice and love it there.  I would also like to see Ecuador and Argentina.  I speak conversational Spanish, but would love to take more lessons in Guatemala.  My wife and are aren't apposed to going back to work.  She keeps telling me don't sweat all the planning, but I'm a bit more concerned with it.  She says she will probably work some either way.  We are currently trying to save a ton of points with Delta Skymiles card and Chase sapphire card.  It will be nice if we can save enough to get these 3 flights paid for, so we don't have to hit the 20-30k travel budget as much.

We would like to travel 4-6 months out of the year to these low cost countries and then spend 6 months or so in the condo.  I think I'm tending to agree with her and will just go with 0 cars.  I was concerned, because I like to go to the beach, but I checked and it is only 5 miles away.  I'm guessing we can bike this pretty easily?  I'm sure some of the bikers will know if this is doable on a consistent basis.  We would probably take the sidewalks, because it's safer though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:06:13 AM by Deepsouth »

Deepsouth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 09:04:10 AM »
As you can see from the prices in the link, we can stay here for around $400 per month each with meals included.  Busses all around the country run about $10 one way.  I think our grocery and entertainment alone would cover the majority of these type of trips.  The problem I have though is once staying for a while in these low cost countries, it seems almost impossible to mentally deal with the higher prices once you get back to the states.   Last time in Guatemala I was eating very high end meals for $5 per person.  The normal breakfast was running about $1.50 per person with a bottled water or diet coke.  It is so wonderfully reasonable to live in these type of countries.  I would love to hit Thailand as well.  I heard its very reasonable in Chang Mai as well?  Not sure on this, but would love to find out!

http://www.universalspanishschool.com/uv/Prices/prices.htm
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:06:34 AM by Deepsouth »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!