Author Topic: Ebook ideas!  (Read 4433 times)

isaacfcb1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ebook ideas!
« on: July 27, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »
Okay so I have decided that I am going to take my stab at writing my first Ebook! It is just another means to FIRE but also a natural curiosity I've always had to write. To give a bit of background I am a 19 year old in the American military. From birth to about 16 my life was filled with a paradox of turmoil and bliss ha constant ups and downs that I am grateful for because they have given me an outlook on life that often takes a lot more years then I have chalked up to see. MY job has allowed me to do amazing things that hardly anyone in the military period has gotten to do let alone anyone my age. So I've decided to write but now am at the stage of what to write, there are a plethora of ideas, just want to see what my friends with mustaches would find the most interesting :) let me know which if the ideas you'd be the most interested in reading or if you have any ideas that you think I can work with go ahead and throw those out there too! Also any and all advice on the field would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Array of Military Lessons For the Growing Man (How the lessons of military life can translate to everyone without having to be in the                   military)

20 and Free (broken from the societal norm)

How to Become Wealthy With What You Have (Realizing that 99% of us are already wealthy!)

What is Rich? What is Wealth? (difference between having money and being wealthy, pretty self-explained)

Battle Field of Your Daily Life   (How to view every day of your life as a selection and assessment)

What's the Difference Between Sports and War(How they are the same because of what we learn from them)

Just a few ideas still in the brainstorming phase :)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:38:11 AM by isaacfcb1 »

taekvideo

• Bristles
Re: Ebook ideas!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »
You know the title is supposed to be the last thing you write.

TheNorwegianGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
My interest level of reading purely based on the title on a scale to 1-10 (10 beeing the most interested in reading)

Array of Military Lessons For the Growing Man (7)
20 and Free (broken from the societal norm) (9)
How to Become Wealthy With What You Have (9)
What is Rich? What is Wealth? (8)
Battle Field of Your Daily Life (6)
What's the Difference Between Sports and War(need different word than war) (2)

isaacfcb1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:32:50 AM »
Yess,  I am at fault for that, these weren't meant to be titles though, rather ideas, everything is still liquid and wants to change.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:05:47 AM »
Good for you! Honestly, they all look like intriguing ideas, so why choose just one? Write them ALL! Start with one and keep going. Besides, even if a few aren't particularly successful from a financial point of view, maybe one or two will take off better than the others.

I'm in the process of writing my first book (also plan to sell it digitally), so I admire your many ideas!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »
Just finished my first book, planning to release it in September, working on my 2nd and 3rd now.

Honestly you should write whichever one calls to you the most/whichever one you are most passionate about. Writing a book is a LOT more work than you probably realize and you are much more likely to finish it if you are writing about something you LOVE than something you are MEH about but think will be interesting to other people.

gildedbutterfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "We two alone will...laugh at gilded butterflies"
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 03:45:05 PM »
Honestly you should write whichever one calls to you the most/whichever one you are most passionate about. Writing a book is a LOT more work than you probably realize and you are much more likely to finish it if you are writing about something you LOVE than something you are MEH about but think will be interesting to other people.

I second this! As someone who has made her living at writing for almost 15 years, book-length work is incredibly difficult to do. There will be so many ups and downs in the process of writing, and it will be so tempting to quit at many different points in the process that it should be something that you are really, truly passionate about.

I call bull on this. I know many, many writers who have books and articles that have started with a title. Sometimes it's a character, a scenario, an image, and sometimes it's a title. Honestly, the majority of my books have come from a single, first sentence popping in my head and then I build everything on from there. I think I remember reading (maybe in the Paris Review?) that Faulkner started with the title for The Sound and the Fury (an allusion to Shakespeare that he thought would make a good title), though I might be off on that one. At any rate, there's no process that's wrong, and no process that's right. (Though there are wrong and right outcomes!)

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »

I call bull on this. I know many, many writers who have books and articles that have started with a title. Sometimes it's a character, a scenario, an image, and sometimes it's a title. Honestly, the majority of my books have come from a single, first sentence popping in my head and then I build everything on from there. I think I remember reading (maybe in the Paris Review?) that Faulkner started with the title for The Sound and the Fury (an allusion to Shakespeare that he thought would make a good title), though I might be off on that one. At any rate, there's no process that's wrong, and no process that's right. (Though there are wrong and right outcomes!)

I second Gilded Butterfly! I knew the title of my first book before I even started. Not so with my next too books, but, yeah, an interesting title can be your starting point. I've written a few short stories that started with me thinking of a funny title and running with the concept.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!