Author Topic: eBay Coupon - What to Buy?  (Read 4004 times)

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
eBay Coupon - What to Buy?
« on: November 09, 2014, 09:37:40 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just sold an iPhone on eBay under a promotion. If the phone sells less than the current trending price on eBay, you receive an eBay coupon for the difference. My item sold for $174 less than the trending price and I just called eBay to confirm. I will be receiving a gift card/coupon in a week for that amount and I have to use it within 14 days of receipt. I want to use it in the most mustachian way possible :)

I am not expecting any major purchases anytime soon. I've already looked at gift cards for groceries and the only store I can find those for are Walmart (which I do not shop at), and Target (where I rarely buy groceries due to selection/price). The only other thing I can think of is using it for gas gift cards - any other suggestions?

m8547

• Bristles
Re: eBay Coupon - What to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:54:48 PM »
You could buy a Walmart card and sell it. Or maybe you could sell the ebay coupon?

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 07:28:27 AM »
Unfortunately, the gift cards are often price above their value because of situations like this, so I would not be able to maximize it by buying and reselling the card with fees. I'm not sure, but I assume the eBay coupon is specific to my account and I would not be able to transfer it. I will look into that though.

Thanks!

GumbyPickles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:37:06 AM »
That's a great deal, I wonder how they prevent people from selling to friends under this promotion. 

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:00:17 AM »
That's a great deal, I wonder how they prevent people from selling to friends under this promotion.

It has to be a 5, 7 or 10 day auction and you have to start it at their recommended price. You can add a "Buy It Now" option, but I think that has to be listed at the trending price. I thought for sure I'd get at least close to the trending price, but I think the iPhone 6 has flooded the market and no one wanted my poor old iPhone 5. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »
Last time I had an eBay coupon (only for $15, though) I bought a Christmas present for my mom. You could make a list of holiday and/or birthday presents you'll want to give people in the next year or so and just knock the list out all at once!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
Buy your old iphone back, repeat.

I'd probably get an amazon gift card (not much discount) and just slowly use it.  Amazon has everything and often at good prices.

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
Buy your old iphone back, repeat.

I'd probably get an amazon gift card (not much discount) and just slowly use it.  Amazon has everything and often at good prices.

It's limited one per person though. I wish I could get another deal like this!

Amazon gift card might be a best bet. Thanks!