Author Topic: Eating while on a long day  (Read 6354 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Eating while on a long day
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:49:56 AM »
Hey,

I'm trying to figure out how to plan for long days without eating out. For instance, today after leaving work my plan is to to go the gym and then to a Bible study at someone's house. Dinner is on my own and I want to avoid getting fast food along the way. Any tricks that you guys use? I am bringing lunch to work and was thinking of bringing an extra portion and eating it cold (it's near zero outside) after my workout? Should I instead keep a stash of nuts in my car to get some calories and protein in a pinch? For eating fast food, I've been good about eliminating the usual suspects (McD, BK, TB) and instead trying to eat at Chipotle as their quality is better, but it still adds up.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Eating while on a long day
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:05:50 AM »
If you don't want to buy food, don't bring the means to buy food (cash, CC, etc.). That's the only 100% guaranteed way to not spend your money.

Snacks are great, also just being hungry is cool sometimes too. It's an interesting sensation.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:23:58 AM »
An apple and hunk of good sharp cheddar cheese.  Fiber, protien, deliciousness.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 07:32:16 AM »
Will there be food at the Bible study? Or could you bring something to share so that you aren't eating out in the cold by yourself?

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:11:06 AM »
Just pack a second lunch. I used to do that all the time when I had to go to college classes after work. Take the apple and cheddar cheese as someone mentioned, take some nuts, as you said, and then include a sandwich that doesn't have to be refrigerated, perhaps some cut up vegetables, and perhaps a drink that will taste good at room temperature. Eat it after the gym, either in the building if there is somewhere you can do that, or else fairly quickly (so you don't get cold) in your car before you go to Bible study.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 08:49:01 AM »
Since you say it's going to be near zero, why not just pack a ham sandwich and leave it in the car?

When the weather warms up, a good trick is to freeze sandwiches, and then they'll thaw by about lunch. For supper, maybe peanut butter.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 10:10:13 AM »
There sometimes is some food served at the Bible study, but it tends to be things like cookies and brownies, which while fun, aren't the best thing for me. Plus eating sugar on an empty stomach is worse than not eating at all.

I like the idea of keeping a sandwich in my car.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »
I also faced this problem when taking evening classes after work, I'd leave at 7am and wouldn't get home til 9pm. I just packed a lunch and a dinner. It's just like packing a lunch, except you do it twice;)

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
This might be contrary to most folk's opinions, but you could just wait until you get home.

Most of needing to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at set times is just habit. Food for thought (pun intended).

And google "intermittent fasting" if you're interested.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »
Smoothies (Like Naked Brand or Bolthouse or you could bottle your own) are convenient and filling. Nuts to go with it are great and keep well.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 12:29:33 PM »
Cook ahead of time, pack lunch (or lunch and dinner).

If it's cold out, you can always leave food in the car as a natural fridge. Especially the trunk.

If it's warm out, perhaps avoid certain types of food (eg, meat, mayonnaise, etc) unless you get to use a fridge.

If you only get a few minutes to eat, sandwich it up. (Bake your own bread, it rocks.)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
Dunno about everyone else, but I find a hot dinner in the winter to have a civilizing effect. So I have hot meal ideas.

1) Thermos! Get a good vacuum-sealed one and pack with soup, chili, pasta, casserole, etc. Maybe take food out and reheat at work if you have a microwave, then it only has to stay warm while you're at the gym.  If you don't want to mess with all the above, just a mug of tea or coffee can do wonders for an otherwise sad sandwich.
2) Gas stations will give you free hot water if you ask. This opens up options for tea/coffee, oatmeal, and once again soup. You could try combining frozen veggies+precooked chicken+possibly noodles or rice, adding a spoonful of Better than Boullion, and filling that up with hot water. Might be able to get warm soup.
3) If I ran a Bible study, I would probably not mind if someone showed up 20 minutes early and used my microwave and ate their dinner (if they arranged it ahead of time politely). Assuming I was home, etc. Part of the Mustachian lifestyle is building and using your community. But of course this depends on individual circumstances. But I would ask.

To all those advocating hunger: not a great option if you need to go grocery shopping, exert yourself physically (lowers blood sugar), exert yourself mentally (you lose focus), or demonstrate any kind of willpower. You can get through it occasionally, but it shouldn't be a strategy on a regular basis!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
If people are already bringing cookies and stuff, maybe turn bible study into a potluck?

annaraven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »
Intermittent fasting is nifty but it's better, for muscle gain, to eat after a workout, and OP did say they were going to the gym then to Bible study. I wouldn't recommend fasting after a workout. The second sandwich sounds great.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »
Beef jerky or turkey jerky is the most filling snack and can always tide me over until a meal.  The trick is to wait until it goes on sale and stock up.  And then don't eat it all just because it's there, only eat it when you actually need it, like before/after a workout when you won't otherwise be able to eat. 

(I know some people make their own beef jerky but I haven't done it yet, so am not sure how hard it is, but that's probably cheaper and healthier than store bought.)

ETA other snacks that will tide me over are cans of sardines and cans of tuna.  I just empty the can on a plate, put hot sauce on them and eat them cold. 

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
(I know some people make their own beef jerky but I haven't done it yet, so am not sure how hard it is, but that's probably cheaper and healthier than store bought.)

It's shockingly easy, actually. I used flank steak, and loosely followed the recipe I found in a Cook's Illustrated cookbook about making things like condiments etc from scratch. I made the beef jerky for a backpacking trip and my cohorts were threatening to steal my stash and leave me behind in the woods. Two pounds of flank steak makes A LOT of jerky. Season it, stick it in the fridge overnight to dry out, and then stick it in the oven at 250 for a few hours to finish. And it's dangerously delicious, so portion it out wisely... :)

When I have a long day, I usually just pack two lunches, and eat the second at the end of my work day before leaving for the next calendar item.