Author Topic: Eastern USA road trip - best time Spring or Fall?  (Read 3194 times)

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
Eastern USA road trip - best time Spring or Fall?
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:50:36 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:00:37 AM by spartana »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Eastern USA road trip - best time Spring or Fall?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:31:23 PM »
Try to include August and go look at the great Amarican eclipse.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 04:10:03 AM »
Hi Spartana

I think it depends on how far north you plan to go.  If we are talking New England/upstate New York, fall is definitely a better option.  Spring can be cold, muddy, rainy, or even snowy.  No bugs to speak of until June/July, though, so that's a plus. (Bugs do get very bad indeed later on . . . In certain locations the black flies will eat you alive in June/July.  And then the mosquitoes come out to join the party).  On the other hand, fall camping in the north east is glorious.  Warm days and crisp nights.  If you like the coast, the weather is still warm enough to enjoy beaches for a while too.  I have a friend that goes to Cape Cod every year in late September.  She loves it.   

If you're going to focus mostly on the south east, I'd say either spring or fall would be fine.  Probably fewer bugs in the spring.  Weather seems very comparable in spring vs. fall, and either way kids will be in school so campgrounds shouldn't be very full.  Probably want to avoid beach locations in March (spring break, as you mentioned), but other than that spring should be similar to fall for camping.     

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 04:27:25 AM »
Definitely fall in New England.  Spring is often cold, sometimes snowy, and definitely muddy.  The fall tends to have a lot more warm and sunny days.

Walsh1122

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »
Tent camping here in Florida varies (weather wise) depending on which part of the state you are in.  I have tent camped in the Keys (Marathon down to Key West) in April and it was nice, especially if you can get a site right on the water for a good cross breeze (PM me I can give you some recommendations).  However I would say that April would be my cut off for South Florida, it will likely be much more humid, hot and buggy after that.  School is still in session in April so you should be fine as far as crowds go and most of the snow birds are starting to head back north. 

If you come down in November you can expect similar weather conditions to April.  One downside is that snowbirds are in full force and you would have to fight holiday breaks with schools.

If you are going to be camping in any of the state parks in South Florida you should book the tent sites way in advance though as they book up quickly.  This link below helped me narrow down some sites.

http://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/florida-beaches/florida-keys-camping-and-campgrounds.html

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »
If you have a chance to hike part or all of the 100 mile wilderness in Maine, it it absolutely amazing. It's part of the Appalachian Trail in Maine. I grew up camping in the mountains of the mid-Atlantic and Maine is like a whole different world. I wouldn't go in May/June though because the black flies can be unbearable.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 11:57:32 AM »
If you don't live here Fall in New England is wonderful and worth swinging through for.  Late Sept/early Oct is peak foliage. Much past mid Oct you probably won't want to be tent camping. By November expect cold rain or snow.

On the other end May is just plain wonderful although bugs start to come out by the end of it. June is peak bugs so don't do that.  April on the other hand can be snowy still, although it looks like we might melt out sooner this year. (I'm in southern Maine. Still have about 6" very packed snow in my backyard and last saw grass on Dec 6)

I guess I would do the fall loop and start in Maine in sept. Added benefit is the summer tourists all leave on Labor day although some summer attractions close too (those are generally memorial day to Labor day)

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »
Also are camp grounds and places like state parks open during those times of year? I semm to remember campgrounds, at least in the NE and mid Atlantic states, kind of shut down between Labor Day and Memorial day.

State parks will be open. After Labor day all sites become first come/first-serv although that shouldn't be an issue. YOu may see some things closed (e.g. no lifeguards at the beach but beach open).  Some private stuff may close but honestly the state parks are better anyways.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:25 PM »
I wouldn't go in May/June though because the black flies can be unbearable.

Oh man . . .  you are right about that. In addition to the itching, you bleed from their bite holes for hours.  Must be some kind of anti-coagulant they inject into you.  I remember one camping trip in late June to the Adirondacks where my brother failed to cover up adequately.  He ended up with so many bloody black fly bites that he looked like he'd been hit with a shotgun blast.  Very ugly.