Author Topic: Earning an extra $50/day consistently  (Read 5084 times)

Fitzy1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Earning an extra $50/day consistently
« on: February 15, 2017, 01:03:23 PM »
Hi All,

So, a little background. I'm presently working full time, recruiter at $19/hr. I start my day by waking up at 7am, drive an hour, work 8, drive an hour home. Before I get a face punch, I commute so far because my wife and I bought a house literally across the street from where she plans on working the next 30 years. She is a teacher, so at least that's the plan. There are few suitable options $ wise close by for myself (I could work 50hrs at a factory and break even).

I'm looking to earn at least an adiditional $20k/yr, so roughly $50/day more than I currently earn. This figure is arbitrary, but substantial.

My degree (HR-Mgmt) from UMass doesn't lend itself to a side gig readily. I plan on finding a second job for the weekends, but does anyone have any ideas on how I could earn $50 in a few hours before I go to bed at the end of the night? I'm intelligent as well as handy, but I'm having a tough time coming up with ideas, as my "free time" would be between 6:00-9:00pm.

Thank you for reading.

Platypuses

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Earning an extra $50/day consistently
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 01:07:07 PM »
Uber or Shipt (if grocery delivery service is in your area). Probably average closer to $10-12/hr.

LibrarianFuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 01:12:52 PM »
Write e-books. Sell on eBay.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »
Get into reffing basketball,soccer, baseball etc.. Theres usually a shortage in most areas, you dont need to have played the sport to ref a little course will do and at least 25$ an hour cash. Alot of soccer games pay up to 80$ a game cash.

markum9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:27:46 PM »
When you say you want to earn an extra $20K a year, is that a short term goal (e.g. just for the next few years), or a long term goal (e.g. I want to earn that much more for the next 10-20 years)?  It could be a wrong assumption, but it sounds like you in the start of your career.  If there are no major immediate needs, to me it would be more beneficial and efficient to try to increase your earning potential rather than take on a side gig.  Are there certification exams you can take?  Extra projects at work (coding, process improvements, etc)?  Networking to find a higher paying job?  Joining/volunteering within an industry group?  Additional courses you can take that expands your value?

It all starts with your goals, so I would ask what do you want the extra money for and what is important to you for your career and balancing work/free time?

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 05:59:18 PM »
There are few suitable options $ wise close by for myself (I could work 50hrs at a factory and break even).

You currently work 40 hrs/wk at $19 an hour?

But you drive an hour each way, and presumably in your free time at 8am you're not spontaneously flinging yourself through space in the general direction of your job, so...

You work 50 hrs/wk at $15.20 an hour. But really, your car payment, insurance, gas for two hours' trip a day, and property tax on the vehicle (if your state has one) all bring that number down further.

In short, if your wife can walk to work, and you can walk to the factory, and the factory pays over $15, without considering benefits and so on, the factory job may be a significant raise if it pays even 15+ and you ditch your car for it. How stable is the factory? Benefits?

As for side gigs paying 20k, there are threads about tradelines and mystery shopping. Some people do transcription. Refereeing was an interesting idea... you're pretty limited to "work at home at whatever pace you want" jobs with a 3-hour window, though, and it's hard to make $18 an hour with any of those.

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 06:03:45 PM »
Get a job at your wife's school and sell all transportation  :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
I considered doing some dog walking, as I gotta walk my own dog anyways and some people will pay decent amount

Viking Thor

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 06:47:43 PM »
Check out the Selling Tradelines thread in the Share your Badassity section
 of the forum.

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »
I did a little side biz doing hauling. I averaged $1600 a month. I know some guys in my area clearing $300 a day. I started with a 3/4 ton truck later moving up to a 1 ton dually with a dump bed. I has quite a few $500 days when it was busy. Garage clean outs etc.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 10:26:08 PM »
Private tutor for kids who go to the school across the street from where you live - $20-30 per hour depending on which city you live in. Where I live (HCOL city), private English tutors make up to $60 per hour.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 12:06:50 AM »
I did a little side biz doing hauling. I averaged $1600 a month. I know some guys in my area clearing $300 a day. I started with a 3/4 ton truck later moving up to a 1 ton dually with a dump bed. I has quite a few $500 days when it was busy. Garage clean outs etc.

How does this work?  You mark up the dump fees and haul it there?

Mattzlaff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 03:49:39 AM »

That's a good number if it's a total after costs, like truck cost, gas, insurance, work clothes/equipment, truck maintenance, dump fees ect.

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 06:40:43 AM »
I teach English online and make 20 an hour. I only get paid less if a student cancels, in which case im paid at half rate for free time! All you need is a degree in any subject. Your wife could do it too!

If interested, let me know and i'll send you the link.

Depending on if you get benefits, if I were you I might even quit and just teach online full time. You can probably downsize to a 1 or even 0 car house hold and save some real money.

Mr. Paws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 06:58:45 AM »
I teach English online and make 20 an hour. I only get paid less if a student cancels, in which case im paid at half rate for free time! All you need is a degree in any subject. Your wife could do it too!

Depending on if you get benefits, if I were you I might even quit and just teach online full time. You can probably downsize to a 1 or even 0 car house hold and save some real money.

I assume other subjects are available to teach?  If so, could you send the link to me?  My wife is Chinese and has considered tutoring mandarin.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 07:02:51 AM »
I opened this thread having misread the title as "eating an extra $50/day consistently" and was super confused and ready to see everyone handing out facepunches.

Whoops.

Seconding the suggestion to try refereeing (can double as exercise depending on the game/age), tutoring and or a new job. I think it definitely depends on your timeline for wanting the income, and long term plans re: kids, FIRE etc.

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 07:07:38 AM »

I assume other subjects are available to teach?  If so, could you send the link to me?  My wife is Chinese and has considered tutoring mandarin.

Nope! They are only teaching English. Your wife can try sites like italki and tutor on there!

The site I use is VIPKID - https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=3083158

I have a youtube series about it here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrHXlsduorgMqGv0u5MDLwqJkRc2k9ed0

I'm willing to coach anyone who uses my referral link above through the process!

But side note, it's really awesome. I was about to make a post about it because I feel like thanks to this job and being a group fitness instructor at a gym, I'm pretty much kind of like I'm FI already? The VIPKIDS really gives me a sense of fulfillment so it's something I would want to do in ER anyway, so I'm just doing these fun and fulfilling jobs and still saving since my expenses are almost nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 07:12:07 AM »
So here's a question.  HR-Management might not lend it self to a lot of side-gigs, but it could very reasonably lend it self to 2-3 days of working from home. I believe these forums and the MMM posts have a ton of resources for convincing your boss or company of the benefits of working from home. While a side gig for more money is always a bonus, saving even 4 hours of commute time each week will greatly increase your mental health, your car expenses, and wasted time.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 09:59:01 AM »
 of the forum.

I have been reluctant to post this in the tradelines thread but since this is a recommendation thread here goes. I haven't done the tradeline stuff because of the worry about someone besides me getting the cards. My mail man is horrible. Constantly putting mail in the wrong boxes. In my situation I would worry about the credit card ending up in the wrong mail box. I know even if that happens the credit card companies have some checks around not letting the wrong people activate it (i.e. calling from phone number on account, etc), but you never know what a random CSR will do. Seems to risky to me. Thoughts?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »
 of the forum.

I have been reluctant to post this in the tradelines thread but since this is a recommendation thread here goes. I haven't done the tradeline stuff because of the worry about someone besides me getting the cards. My mail man is horrible. Constantly putting mail in the wrong boxes. In my situation I would worry about the credit card ending up in the wrong mail box. I know even if that happens the credit card companies have some checks around not letting the wrong people activate it (i.e. calling from phone number on account, etc), but you never know what a random CSR will do. Seems to risky to me. Thoughts?

You usually need to activate a card before its valid so even if you don't receive it I think the chance of loss is small.  Just watch your transactions carefully and report if you don't get it quickly (I always get those cards pretty quickly)