Author Topic: Early Risers, What do you do with the time?  (Read 9398 times)

onemorebike

• Bristles
Early Risers, What do you do with the time?
« on: February 02, 2017, 05:11:36 AM »
For the past few years I've been waking up around 4 or 5 am. I've got kids so that gives me 2-3 hours before they wake. Sometimes I lay in bed, look at facebook, catch up on news, or watch something on Netflix - all terrible uses of time, especially with the current political drama.

I'm looking for ideas for how to use that time (quietly) better, if you rise before the sun, what do you do with these hours?

-onemorebike

LindseyC

• Stubble
Re: Early Risers, What do you do with the time?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:02:47 AM »
I get up pretty early due to a chronic illness. Generally when I get up I am not feeling the best and it takes a few hours to calm my stomach. I generally spend the time reading (book or online) or watching a show. However, I make a point to do as many small tasks as possible. So I will read for twenty minutes and then put a load of laundry on, or change the cat litter, pack my lunch whatever. I find if I at least do some small tasks it makes my nights a little easier and it also makes me feel productive while still having some relaxation time.

Lately I have been giving myself different tasks from that endless list of small things that need to be done. Sewing on a loose button, repairing some small tears, defuzzing a sweater, yesterday I tightened some screws on a loose drawer. This minor change in doing unusual one of tasks has actually changed up my routine a bit and for whatever reason feels like more of an accomplishment.

I guess the key for me is I want my mornings to still feel relaxing but throwing in 6 or 7 small chores also gives me a bit of a sense of accomplishment.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:06:35 AM »
i get up and go to work and then leave earlier.  no kids for 8 more months though but it likely wont change.  My wife will drop at daycare and i'll pick up.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:21:22 AM »
Before kids, I would work on some chores if I got up early, or make something better for breakfast than toast/bagel and play some video games.

Now with kids its the only real quiet time so I just make coffee and play video games before work.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 06:37:07 AM »
I'm up early because my husband starts work early.  Two mornings of the week, I make a quick visit to the gym.  It's never crowded in the a.m.  The other weekdays I do yoga from the Do Yoga With Me website.  After these activities, I still have a bit of time before I need to leave for work so I will clean the bathroom and dust.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 06:38:23 AM »
I do some stretching/exercises, then go for a walk and usually start the workday early (so I end early).

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 07:36:18 AM »
For the past few years I've been waking up around 4 or 5 am. I've got kids so that gives me 2-3 hours before they wake. Sometimes I lay in bed, look at facebook, catch up on news, or watch something on Netflix - all terrible uses of time, especially with the current political drama.

I'm looking for ideas for how to use that time (quietly) better, if you rise before the sun, what do you do with these hours?

I go to the gym. Mine opens at 5. Nothing can conflict with it at that hour.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 07:41:12 AM »
I have the home gym stuff, which is probably easier to deal with when you have young kids, if you need to be at home for them (even if they're asleep).

You could do the workout at that hour. Or prep meals. Or laundry. But myself - I'd just take it as guilt free "me" time and surf the internet guilt free or listen to podcasts or read, enjoy a cup of coffee, whatever.

Also, though - I'd make sure I was getting enough sleep, and if not, start looking into changes I could make to improve that.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 07:43:49 AM »
Years ago when I used to occasionally wake up super early I would go wash my car at the car wash.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 07:50:01 AM »
Years ago when I used to occasionally wake up super early I would go wash my car at the car wash.

this doesnt sound like a mustachian answer.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 07:56:39 AM »
I'm lucky if I get up in time to fix myself breakfast.

Darn un-sleep-deprived one percenters!

http://www.businessinsider.com/people-who-sleep-short-hours-2015-11

Your list of things sounds like what happens after the kids go to bed at our house, although I'm usually in bed shortly after the kids.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »
I tend to be pretty nauseated when I get up, but eating is super important to my blood sugar. So I sit on the forums and sip coffee- if DH is home, he makes me breakfast, since it makes me less nauseated that way. If he's gone, I make it myself and just deal. Then I putter around on the forums to distract myself while I eat, because I find I can eat more that way.

Then I have a whole morning routine- I wash my face with honey ala crunchy betty, so I put that on, then make the bed, then do some goblet squats with a kettlebell (keep it in my room haha), then do a yoga flow. Then I wash my face and get dressed.

Then I just... do my day. Depends on what I have on the docket that day. If I'm not working, during the summer I usually do a walk first thing after getting dressed, but I'm not great at it the dark/cold/rainy parts of the year =P

Your list of things sounds like what happens after the kids go to bed at our house, although I'm usually in bed shortly after the kids.

If there are short sleepers, then I am a long sleeper. 8-9hrs is my minimum. It's not uncommon for me to sleep 10.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
My single resolution/goal this year is to get into a good early morning routine. I'm not there yet.

So far, i wake up at 5:30-6 when my little guy wakes up. We eat oatmeal, either me or my husband feeds and changes the baby, we drink coffee, do morning Bible reading and pray. Some days only one of us gets up early though.

Exercise is the next component I'm working on. I like running but  it's  -20 C outside and I can't run right now until a minor surgery is completed. So the next piece of the puzzle is finding better indoor workouts and consistently doing them.

I also want to put in a chapter or two of leadership/work-related reading and some blogging/writing  in the morning routine.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 08:17:37 AM »

Early to bed Early to Rise make a man healthy wealthy and wise.

You dont have to just be a short sleeper to get up early.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 09:13:15 AM »
I used to get into work early. It was peaceful before everyone got there too. Now I'm exercising in the mornings.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 09:19:33 AM »
I get up at 4:30 and get in the pool by 6:00am.
Then head to work.
Leave work about 4:00 most days sometimes earlier.

Even on weekends I get up early, maybe around 6,  so I just read or putter doing quiet tasks so as not to wake DH.
Our kids are grown and have been out of the nest for years so no children at home.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »
I'm usually up between 3:30 and 4. I usually take a walk and check all my financial accounts. I'll get gas in my car if it needs it or get stuff at Walmart to avoid the crowds.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
I used to get into work early. It was peaceful before everyone got there too. Now I'm exercising in the mornings.
Me too. 

I work out and get to work early. 

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »

-onemorebike

Get up between 430am - 6am usually averaging around 515am. Mon - Thurs I get up, have some tea and go to the office. I get paid to work and it doesn't need to be the same time anyone else is working so I get started early.

On weekends I go to my home office so I don't wake up my GF and get started on my To Do List. That could mean anything from doing my taxes, to paying bills, reading MMM forums, blogging, etc.. I usually go grocery shopping at 7am-8am on the weekends because there is nobody there. Kills off one major item on my To Do List before my GF even gets up.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »
I get up around 6:00am. I'm not retired, so I get up early and walk to work. It's a nice quiet time at work until most arrive around 8:30-9am, and I'm already 25% done with my work day by the time most of my coworkers get to work. :)

If I weren't retired, I'd probably still go on a walk in the morning, or some kind of exercise (yoga? maybe someday I'll have my own treadmill/elliptical), or do quiet chores/meal prep.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 10:01:12 AM »
I'm up around three a.m. (work starts at six).  I do some writing, catch up on news and email, maybe play a game or two.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
I'm up around three a.m. (work starts at six).  I do some writing, catch up on news and email, maybe play a game or two.

OT, but congrats on the soon to be FIRE. Just noticed the counter in your signature.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 10:10:22 AM »
I like to cook in the morning, especially on the weekends.
Unfortunately, it can be quite loud and disturb my wife's sleep.
If you make no Knead bread, you can let it rise over night and bake it in the morning.

edit: laundry is another chore I get done in the morning
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 10:50:43 AM by tonysemail »

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »

It's not.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »
I work out - 2x a week I swim (from 5:35 until 6:20 am).  Some other days I might pop in a workout video (technically I stream them).

I prep food and pack 3 lunches.
I put away last night's clean dishes.

I also FB some.

I go to work at 7:30 am many days.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 07:39:18 PM »

It's not.

Alternately, some people live places with water restrictions and car-washing at home is not allowed.

I never wake up early, except for yesterday, when I did some home-improvement work after my roommate had left (they leave super early).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 10:25:43 PM »
Ha! Here's a roundabout answer. I have always been an early bird. I'm the eldest in a family of six kids. Mornings were total chaos and my mom was a yeller. I got myself up and dressed and off to school before the rest of the house stirred, just to avoid the insanity. I walked to school and liked being there early. I can remember doing this from about second grade on. I was always a reader, so I imagine I just found a quiet spot and read until school started.

I FIRE'd about four years ago, right after I got married. (I had the money to RE, but I was worried about healthcare, so was waiting for ACA to kick in before I pulled the trigger.) Enter unexpected husband, complete with incredible healthcare, and...other stuff. TMI? Sorry. So I gleefully put myself out to pasture three weeks after we eloped.

Anyway, we're FI, but he still works, for lots of good reasons. Our morning routine works like this: Up at 5:00. I make his breakfast and pack his lunch. Then we walk all three tenths of an uphill mile to his work together, arriving no later than 5:58am. Then I walk home and crawl back into bed for as long as I want. In retirement, I have totally abandoned my early bird nature.

Occasionally, there is something I have to do in the early morning. Those days, I come home from walking DH from work, shower and get on with my whatever-it-is-that-must-be-done-early-day, just like I always have. Weird, just weird. But, damn, I'm working really hard not to feel guilty.

I guess the TL;DR version is I basically waste it. But man, it feels good!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 11:34:36 PM »
I've found that I can do almost all the things that one does at 4 pm at 4 am. I can work out, read, play guitar, shop, do house chores, putter in my garage, go for a motorcycle ride, go for a run, play video games, plan meals... Between the internet and home ownership, I don't generally hold one hour as more valuable than others. And I've never required much sleep, so I'm quite often up and productive before 4 am.  Neighbors would probably hate if I mowed the lawn at that time, so I suppose there are some small restrictions.

Wow... I'd never heard of this. This article really struck home for me.... may have to do some more research.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:36:31 PM by Metric Mouse »

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 12:27:38 AM »

I wish!

MrsPB

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 03:06:32 AM »
Up at 5:30 here but no time for anything except shower and getting the kids ready as we leave at 6:45am. Last year I tried for a while to do the Miracle Morning routine when I was on mat leave but every time I got up, one of my kids woke up so that went out the window. It's a great concept though, 6 components of varying duration depending on how much time you have but in summary; silence/meditation, exercise, scribing/journaling, affirmations, visualization, reading. I never did all 6 but having a routine planned was good. There is a 6 minute version too.
+1 to the Do Yoga With Me site, such a great, free yoga site. Very high quality.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 05:38:58 AM »
Early morning workouts when I was younger.  Now I do more reading of fiction and do the workouts later.

spuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »
I get up at 6 every morning. If it's a weekday, I'll either go for a run or read in bed - OH will bring me a cuppa. Saturdays I'm up for my long run, and Sundays I make breakfast and do some reading/writing until OH gets up. We're DINKs, so no little feet to worry about :)

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 02:47:18 AM »
4:30am EST. I just put air in the tires of our cars. I got in to the habit of doing that when I used to take my car to the local tire/auto service place. They have a free air pump, but if you go in the middle of the day, you usually have to wait in line for 2 other people to pump up their tires. If you go at the butt crack of dawn, you have the place to yourself and can take your time checking pressure.

The only downside to going to the tire place is it isn't very well lit and my tires were somewhat warmed up by the time I got there. It is annoying fumbling around in the dark and not being able to tell if you have the correct tire pressure.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 05:40:23 AM »

It's not.

Alternately, some people live places with water restrictions and car-washing at home is not allowed.

I never wake up early, except for yesterday, when I did some home-improvement work after my roommate had left (they leave super early).

And some people live in places where the water is all frozen up at this time of the year - if we want to get the road salt off, the carwash is the place to do it.

I'm happy to just lay there in bed and read and enjoy the early morning peace and quiet.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 09:27:14 AM »
4:30am EST. I just put air in the tires of our cars. I got in to the habit of doing that when I used to take my car to the local tire/auto service place. They have a free air pump, but if you go in the middle of the day, you usually have to wait in line for 2 other people to pump up their tires. If you go at the butt crack of dawn, you have the place to yourself and can take your time checking pressure.

The only downside to going to the tire place is it isn't very well lit and my tires were somewhat warmed up by the time I got there. It is annoying fumbling around in the dark and not being able to tell if you have the correct tire pressure.
There's a pretty easy solution.  Fill your tires using a bicycle pump in the comfort of your garage.  The tires remain cold and it saves you a trip.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »

There's a pretty easy solution.  Fill your tires using a bicycle pump in the comfort of your garage.  The tires remain cold and it saves you a trip.

This.  The common complaint is "it will take too long", but it doesn't.  It takes roughly 5 pumps per psi (+/- for the volume of your pump and capacity of the tires of course).  It's rare to have tires down more than 2-3 psi even when we're descending into Winter.  So, maybe 60-80 pumps for the whole car?  Sure beats starting up the car and driving it somewhere to get air!  Also, no noisy compressor required, just a little bit of elbow grease (and not even that much really).  You do have a decent manual air pump for your bike, right?

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2017, 10:14:31 AM »

This.  The common complaint is "it will take too long", but it doesn't.  It takes roughly 5 pumps per psi (+/- for the volume of your pump and capacity of the tires of course).  It's rare to have tires down more than 2-3 psi even when we're descending into Winter.  So, maybe 60-80 pumps for the whole car?  Sure beats starting up the car and driving it somewhere to get air!  Also, no noisy compressor required, just a little bit of elbow grease (and not even that much really).  You do have a decent manual air pump for your bike, right?

Unfortunately, I tried to use a bicycle tire pump years ago and it doesn't work on our cars. The problem is, the valve stems are short and the rims get in the way. I can't get the stem deep enough in to the chuck and I also can't pull the lever and lock the chuck on to the stems. The chuck on the bike tire pump I have is really meant for presta valves. Technically, You can use them on Schrader valves, but it tears up the rubber seal. Either way, a bike tire pump won't work on my car or my wife's car.

I have a compressor at home now and it works pretty well.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
Unfortunately, I tried to use a bicycle tire pump years ago and it doesn't work on our cars. The problem is, the valve stems are short and the rims get in the way. I can't get the stem deep enough in to the chuck and I also can't pull the lever and lock the chuck on to the stems. The chuck on the bike tire pump I have is really meant for presta valves. Technically, You can use them on Schrader valves, but it tears up the rubber seal. Either way, a bike tire pump won't work on my car or my wife's car.

Oh, yeah, those lever/lock chucks are terrible.  You want the screw-on schrader end and then just use a schrader to presta adapter for the bikes.  The screw-in schrader ends work just fine even on the deep seated valves on my car's race wheels/tires.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 05:06:22 PM »
Inflated my truck tires with a bicycle floor pump. Easy as can be.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2017, 03:07:42 AM »

OT, but congrats on the soon to be FIRE. Just noticed the counter in your signature.

I'm a little late to the party, but thanks!

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2017, 03:24:17 AM »
About to start work with one of my six-week-olds sleeping on me in a sling.

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2017, 02:47:06 PM »
I swim on a Masters swim team. We have practice at 6:30am. Good use of my early morning time because it forces me to get up, get organized for the day, go to practice, shower, and be at work at 8:00am.

Brokefuturedoctor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2017, 06:01:08 PM »
I get up around 5 and workout in the basement. I don't have any kids though. If you were doing body weight exercise as opposed to any sort of lifting though, it shouldn't be too loud.

Edit - On days that I don't lift, I end up studying. If you wanted to learn or read about something that would probably be a good use of time.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »

I have a compressor at home now and it works pretty well.
Compressors are awesome. Useful for so many things.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2017, 06:57:02 AM »
When I was running a business I always got into the office about 6:30.  Work started for the office folks at 8:00, but I wanted the shop and field personnel to see that the boss worked just as hard as they did.   Doesn't matter so much if you are doing anything productive, it's the fact that they see you in there early every day.  Hourly employees quickly lose respect for bosses that come in late and leave early on a routine basis.  Not a fan of people working from home, for this reason.

A benefit of coming in early is that I could get about a half days worth of work done in that undisturbed first 90 minutes before people start showing up disrupting things.

Penny McSave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »
Almost every night I wake up around 2 or 3AM; I make a cup of peppermint tea and spend an hour reading or journaling and then I go back to sleep until about 7 when I am ready to start the day. This all started because I have anxiety during the night and would normally spend 2 or 3 hours just trying to calm myself down. Occasionally I'll have a bad night but for the most part I've figured out a way to turn it into something positive and relaxing so now I actually look forward to what I refer to as my silent hour. ;)

JerBlue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2017, 06:30:15 AM »
I wake up at 4:00 AM and although I still work the standard 8-5, Monday through Friday, I go to work early since there is a gym there and I workout from 4:30-5:30. With the extra time between 5:30-8:00, I either work on homework and/or read finance blogs/forums...such as this! On the weekends I still get up at 4:00, except I feel like I get most of my to-do list items accomplished before most people are awake. The "down-side" is that I am not super social since I go to bed at 8:00-8:30 PM. As a 33 Y/O single guy with no kids, people think I'm extreme! ...then again I'm "extreme" with finances and health too...after all, that's how I found the Mustachian blog/forum and sure glad I did! It's so nice to have a community of like minded individuals!