Author Topic: Dumb question....why Men's Underwear is so expensive  (Read 42134 times)

GutsGloryRam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Dumb question....why Men's Underwear is so expensive
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »
Hi,
Probably a dumb question. I see the Men's underwear is so expensive here in US, some times costs same are more than trousers. How you guys handle this?

GutsGloryRam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Dumb question....why Men's Underwear is so expensive
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:16:39 PM »
$6/2 pks!!!....thats pretty good. I buy Calvin klein and they charge around $20-25 /pair....am not a brand conscious though....just a reasonably comfortable ones are all am looking for....

KittyFooFoo

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 02:19:14 PM »
I pay $15 a pop for Banana Republic boxer briefs.  Some may consider this wasteful, and they can tell it to my gloriously comfortable balls.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »
I pay $15 a pop for Banana Republic boxer briefs.  Some may consider this wasteful, and they can tell it to my gloriously comfortable balls.

Haha!

Lady underwear is expensive too. And ridiculously frilly and wedgie-inducing. I want the equivalent of boxer briefs for a lady. So like, boyshorts that are totally plain and totally cover the rear. Not sure where to find them.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
$6/2 pks!!!....thats pretty good. I buy Calvin klein and they charge around $20-25 /pair....am not a brand conscious though....just a reasonably comfortable ones are all am looking for....

25c to the Bangladeshi textile worker and $24.75 profit for the brand.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 03:19:46 PM »

Haha!

Lady underwear is expensive too. And ridiculously frilly and wedgie-inducing. I want the equivalent of boxer briefs for a lady. So like, boyshorts that are totally plain and totally cover the rear. Not sure where to find them.

Have you tried Hanes "Boyfriend cotton" undies at Target? $10/3pk (sometimes +1free). Soft, comfy, pretty cute (says bf), no wedgies. :) I like the hipster style, I think they also have a boyshort style if you want more leg...

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »
I bought my boxers on amazon and got 2x4 pack, so 8 total, for what looks like $28.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
I get jockey brand, usually at Target.

I do have a couple pair of exofficio travel underwear for long trips, great for washing in the sink and drying overnight. I thought they were expensive at $15 each... :O

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »
Just had to add my two cents. DH insists on wearing tidy whities. Used to buy them at Costco, but they have dropped them in favor of boxer briefs, citing slowing sales. Nordstrom used to make good ones, but web searches say they ain't what they used to be and the price has seriously jumped. Calvin Klein briefs are also suffering from quality shortcuts these days and cost a pretty penny, but are occasionally available at Ross, I'm told. Land's End brief users have the same complaint on their website, and IIRC, cost about $32 for 3, which is crazy. I tried Target, but they carry only combo sizes. One is too large, the other too small. I never set foot in Gap or Old Navy, since I generally am not impressed with their quality.

Since DH has lost over 50 lbs, I seriously need to add to his supply and he won't wear the brief style, no matter how cute his buns are looking these days ;-). Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated, because I hate to shop!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
I usually pay no more than $5 a pair, for Jockey, New Balance or Calvin Klein boxers, in packs of three. The only place I can find them for so cheap is at Winners, a Canadian discount chain offering designer clothing and accessories. Even at $5 a pair, I find that to be such an outrageous purchase for boxers.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 07:02:17 PM »
The answer to the original question: because we'll wear it until it turns to threads and dust.  Even then it only gets bought by our SO's when they see what a sorry state it is in. Our lack of demand has driven supply dangerously low and made it expensive.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:02:43 PM »
The answer to the original question: because we'll wear it until it turns to threads and dust.  Even then it only gets bought by our SO's when they see what a sorry state it is in. Our lack of demand has driven supply dangerously low and made it expensive.

You hit the nail on the head, Spork!

When I sold men's clothes at Nordstrom, there were women who bought clothes for their husbands, removed the tags and packaging, washed and then buried them in their husband's closet or drawers. Then they purged the old, threadbare stuff. Seems the only way their men would wear new clothes was through trickery. Strange. OTOH, I guess it's one way to get someone else to do your shopping for you.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 11:27:06 PM »
Seems the only way their men would wear new clothes was through trickery. Strange.

Why's that, exactly?  Seems to me that throwing out still-good clothing is what's strange, and unMustachian too.

dsiee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 12:59:38 AM »
I think a significant factor is the fact that most men don't care about the cost as much as the quality or availability of the product. The cost is insignicant as spending on clothing is mainly (entirely) done to serve a purpose.
ie- i have two pairs of calvin klein underwear that are 2sih years old that have lasted and are comfortable. i am cosidering buying more as they have shown to last thus decreaseing the annoyance of them wearing out frequently. Even though they are overpriced, the expense ($20 extra over 2+ years) is worth it.

TL:DR- men care less and will pay more

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 01:38:19 AM »
Well, you could just not wear underwear.  That'd be the cheapest route.  :)

What?  Still not as gross as the guy who says we should just lick our plates clean instead of wasting our time washing dishes.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 06:10:55 AM »
I get Hanes cotton ones at Target. Been forever since I've needed some, but I think they run $4-5 per pair in packs.

For summer I am probably going to try experimenting with moisture wicking stuff like Under Armor brand at $20/pair for my biking and such but I'm only going to buy one. It will have to be super comfortable to justify the cost versus cotton+Gold Bond ;)

tfordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 06:16:58 AM »

Haha!

Victoria's Secret is expensive, but will send out "free panties" coupons a few times a year.  My wife hasn't had to buy panties in years.  Unfortunately, each coupon is for a particular style of panties that might not suit your style preferences.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 06:26:33 AM »

That the average age of my underwear is only about 12 years due to the disintegration factor.  Underwear doesn't feel right until you've got at least 5 years on it to break it in.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 07:55:56 AM »
Expensive brand name mens underwear is as cheap as the cheap stuff at Marshall's, Ross, and TJ Maxx.  I like getting him the fancy brands because the cuts are usually a little sexier ;)

(Something my husband doesn't know because he, like many men represented here, would sooner wear a pair until they disintegrate than just go buy another pack or two.)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 07:59:21 AM »

You hit the nail on the head, Spork!

When I sold men's clothes at Nordstrom, there were women who bought clothes for their husbands, removed the tags and packaging, washed and then buried them in their husband's closet or drawers. Then they purged the old, threadbare stuff. Seems the only way their men would wear new clothes was through trickery. Strange. OTOH, I guess it's one way to get someone else to do your shopping for you.

It's not quite that sneaky at my house... I just open the drawer and notice (a) there are slightly more of them and (b) the really threadbare ones have been purged.  I've always termed this "underwear gnomes" (per Southpark).

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 08:03:11 AM »

My legs chafe if I don't wear boxer briefs, otherwise this would be the way to go.

Also agreed on the wearing until they disappear route. My last set were purchased due to the wife asking "are you seriously going to wear those?"

dsiee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 09:54:33 PM »
That the average age of my underwear is only about 12 years due to the disintegration factor.  Underwear doesn't feel right until you've got at least 5 years on it to break it in.
Man, 12 years ago i... (i was going to say i would have been half the size, then i checked the age of a pair of shorts i was wearing and turns out they are 7 years old and are a tad big)... I don;t know where all my 12 year old underwear is unfortuantly

What?  Still not as gross as the guy who says we should just lick our plates clean instead of wasting our time washing dishes.

Often i do (sshh, for some reason this is taboo!). I don't understand what the problem is? if i'm lazing around home is shorts underwear would not improve anything. However, in summer one must remember not to spread their legs with baggy shorts on and no underwear. I understand how that could cause issues...

That licking plates clean thing is just... not on. That thread was quite strange.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
Underwear? I don't need no stinking underwear.....

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »
Costco has a 3 pack of champion cotton/high tech blend boxer briefs for $9. I bought them to hike in, but I like them more than my old Calvin Kleins.   

I'm all about free balling it, but if I have to walk more than a few feet, I find that the top of my anatomy rubs on my pants in an uncomfortable way.   Plus, it's easier to wash underwear everyday than to wash a pair of pants that smell like ass.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »
Seems the only way their men would wear new clothes was through trickery. Strange.

Why's that, exactly?  Seems to me that throwing out still-good clothing is what's strange, and unMustachian too.

Sorry to be so slow to respond Jamesqf. I agree with you that "throwing out still-good clothing is what's strange and unMustachian too". The word I actually used was "threadbare".

What is strange is that the men were so averse to buying new clothes that they pretended not to notice the new stuff their partner snuck into the house. Seems like a silly game, but it happened over and over, so it must be fairly common. Still think it's strange.

FWIW- Shopping at Nordstrom ranks near the top of the list of unMustachian activities, IMHO.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »

FWIW- Shopping at Nordstrom ranks near the top of the list of unMustachian activities, IMHO.

I have a pair of Clark Desert Boots I bought at Nordstrom rack 3 years ago.   They might be the best shoes I own.  Comfortable, they go with just about everything.   Casual enough for jeans and a t-shirt and they still work with a blazer if necessary.   Based on how they're currently wearing I expect to get about 4-5 more years out of them.    I think that was a great deal for less than $100 dollars.    I also have a few pairs of penguin shorts I've worn for several years.

Sometimes it really pays to buy a few high end classical pieces that will work season after season.   They fit better, look better and they last longer.   I'm not adverse to finding nice stuff at a thrift store though.   YMMV

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 07:44:19 AM »
Am I missing something here?

You can find almost any style for less than $3 a pair on Amazon.

Less than $2 per pair in multi packs for "name brands" (Hanes, FOTL).

Probably even cheaper if you buy some off brand?

Oh, and the shipping is free, too, if you order or $35 worth of stuff.

whitewaterchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 11:19:37 AM »

Haha!

Let me know if you do! I'd buy them.

Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc... tend to have some really nice boy shorts or hipsters for around $6 for 2 or three pairs. You have to check more often and dig through the racks since their inventory changes so frequently but they have some really great finds for underwear, socks, and tights.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 11:43:30 AM »

It's the CK you're paying for. Normal pricing is more like $2 a pair for mass market brands.

http://www.target.com/p/hanes-men-s-9-pack-briefs-white/-/A-13408423#prodSlot=medium_1_12&term=hanes

I have to admit that I own some CK white crew t-shirts and they're far superior to the Jockey ones, which in turn are far superior to the Hanes ones.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »
Just one word -

Commando

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »

I can't speak to Men's underwear, but I find the cheaper brands of women's panties wear out much faster than CK or VS. Since you can't try panties on, and you can't return them, I've had the most success buying decent quality and stocking up when I find a style I like. Personally, I find panty shopping almost as bad as bra shopping (which is only topped by trying to find a good foundation when they discontinue yours :/)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »

I can't speak to Men's underwear, but I find the cheaper brands of women's panties wear out much faster than CK or VS. Since you can't try panties on, and you can't return them, I've had the most success buying decent quality and stocking up when I find a style I like. Personally, I find panty shopping almost as bad as bra shopping (which is only topped by trying to find a good foundation when they discontinue yours :/)

Fortunately they have not discontinued concrete, so my foundation is still rock solid.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
Underwear? What, did you win the lottery!? None of that fancy stuff for me.

But seriously, its not that expensive.  It's like $10 for a 3 or 4 pack.  And how often do you need to buy underwear? I don't even remember the last time I bought it.  I dropped maybe $25 on it in the last 4 years.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »

Fortunately they have not discontinued concrete, so my foundation is still rock solid.

Some of my underwear is probably older than some of the posters on this forum :)

You don't need anything fancy or "designer."  Just basic Hanes or FOTL.  Lasts just fine, and costs very little.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »

Haha!

Jockey makes a lot of styles like that.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 08:25:40 AM »
Too funny!  My wife just mentioned last night that she was going to throw away some of my t-shirts that were full of holes.  I hesitated but agreed.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
I was going to make the same point:  Ladies' stuff is expensive too.  Bras are worse than panties.  As a person who knows how to sew, I understand why they're expensive:  Working with small bits and curvy bits is more difficult than making long seams (so a pair of undies is more complicated to sew than a shirt). 

Here's what I don't understand:  I must have 20 pairs of Victoria's Secrets undies.  Once you're on their mailing list you'll get a coupon for free undies 2-3 times per year.  Some of those things are seriously well made:  I have pairs that are years and years old.  Others fall apart practically after the first wear.  They only give away the most basic of basics, so they're all similar in look /style ... how can they be so different in quality? 

Just had to add my two cents. DH insists on wearing tidy whities.
That's "tight-y whities", as in tight instead of loose like boxers. 

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
I have just signed up to VS for the free undies! Can't wait. Do you usually have to purchase something to get them? Does anyone know if the offer works in Canada?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
I think the VS underwear are the worst for your butt cheeks flapping in the wind and the fabric that is supposed to be covering your butt is now all bunched up in your crack.

Anyway.

For men's boxer briefs, we find the best lifespan to price ratio to be name brands in the sporty fabrics at tjmaxx. Cotton ones don't seem to last as long as the "athletic" fabric, and the tjmaxx ones last longer than the target equivalent. I wasn't impressed bb with Costco, although I haven't price checked them in over a year.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »
i buy all clothing based on deal alerts set on slickdeals.net  or if i get a super discount from some dept store i'll walk that way - but that ad usually shows up on slickdeals.  I know this is a forum about limited consumption but many do more people here need to use slickdeals.  it will help you stretch a dollar a long long ways on essentials/disposables/clothing etc. and on any want to purchase big items that you can wait on.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2017, 06:12:18 AM »
Boxer briefs from Costco....a few dollars a pair and they hold up.  Its also Costco, you know you're only paying 10-15% over cost.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »

I've owned some underwear before; it sucked in my opinion (though I had boxers, not boxer briefs).

I now get Hanes boxer briefs.  They are quite comfortable, and not too expensive (maybe $20/5 pack).  I have some fancy-pants boxer-briefs, such as Ex Officios.  TBH, the Hanes are a massively better value.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!