Author Topic: Driving to Canada, insurance question  (Read 1336 times)

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
Driving to Canada, insurance question
« on: July 02, 2019, 09:09:37 PM »
For the last couple of years, i often find myself driving into Canada for family vacations. Sometimes it is unplanned, on a whim for a quick weekend trip.

We just drive our own minivan that is registered in CT (which is where we live).

Does anyone have any recommendations how to cover ourselves for auto and medical insurance?

I believe auto insurance (we have Geico) covers us into Canada. Any gotchas we need to be aware of?

Medical insurance seems like a huge mess if (god forbid) we ever end up requiring it during the trip. Any Mustachian recommendation?

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Driving to Canada, insurance question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 06:52:01 AM »
I don't think there is anything to worry about, assuming you have good insurance. Geico covers youi in Canada (ask me how I know!), but you may not need it if you are driving in a province with provincial no-fault insurance. US medical insurance generally covers emergencies out of network, and their reimbursement rates are, in my limited experience, higher than Canadian charges.

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 06:56:22 AM »
As the previous poster said you should be fine.. I have driven to Canada for years and there has never been any issues or questions about insurance. As for medical you should be ok there too but if you're overly concerned you can probably look into travel insurance like NOMAD

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 07:00:50 AM »
Thanks a lot for the replies.

Did any of you have any experiences of dealing with health  insurances while in Canada or some other international destination?

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 09:35:49 AM »
I had to go to a doctor in the UK years ago and my insurance actually covered it

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!