Author Topic: Driving for Uber/UberX  (Read 25254 times)

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
Re: Driving for Uber/UberX
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2017, 02:36:58 AM »
It depends on where and when you drive.

In most cities, doing it as a full time job won't make you much money after you factor in the costs. But I recommend anybody who has a car that qualifies at least sign up and do the initial 50 to 150 rides to get the signup bonus (it can be as high as $750 depending on the city)

I rarely drive for Uber, but I am currently signed up as a driver and do it occasionally if nothing is going on a given weekend night.

I live in a smallish centralized college town and if I drive thursday, Fri, or saturday nights from around 10pm-3am I can catch all the club/bar crowd surge pricing and make $25 an hour and not spend much on gas or actually drive very many miles.

Any other nights I have tried I have barely made $10 after gas. Not worth it. As an occasional weekend/holiday side gig it's great, and I recommend it. I don't recommend it as a full-time gig. Not a bad way to make an extra $300 a month or something, but a shitty full-time option in my opinion.

But if you are gonna go full time, get the cheapest car you can that meets the requirement, and drive weekend nights, holidays, and anytime there are events that cause lots of uber requests to be made at once. Surge pricing is the only way to make any money with Uber, so you have to base your strategy around that. 

On a 'drinking' holiday like St Patty's day or new years eve when lots of people use Uber, you can make like $300 with one night of driving sometimes. but on some random tuesday night you won't make shit in most places.

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2017, 08:21:48 AM »
But I recommend anybody who has a car that qualifies at least sign up and do the initial 50 to 150 rides to get the signup bonus (it can be as high as $750 depending on the city)

if I drive thursday, Fri, or saturday nights from around 10pm-3am I can catch all the club/bar crowd surge pricing and make $25 an hour and not spend much on gas or actually drive very many miles.

The highest possible signup bonus you mention, divided by the initial 150 rides, is only $5/ride.  Why would you recommend this?

And if I'm working a second job at 3am on my weekend off, it better be paying more than $25 MINUS all of your expenses.
Especially if I'm shuttling a bunch of drunk college students around for hours and house, who reek of smoke/booze/vomit.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2017, 09:05:38 AM »
^^ Yeah. I drove the "Drunk Bus" in college for a few years. No way in hell I'd want to do that in my own vehicle. At least you can hose out a bus.

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2017, 11:09:28 PM »
But I recommend anybody who has a car that qualifies at least sign up and do the initial 50 to 150 rides to get the signup bonus (it can be as high as $750 depending on the city)

if I drive thursday, Fri, or saturday nights from around 10pm-3am I can catch all the club/bar crowd surge pricing and make $25 an hour and not spend much on gas or actually drive very many miles.

The highest possible signup bonus you mention, divided by the initial 150 rides, is only $5/ride.  Why would you recommend this?

You still get paid for the rides too, you don't JUST get the bonus. So you are making an EXTRA $5 a trip. I recommend it because it is a reliable way to make a few hundred dollars with not very many hours or work.

I recommend it for the same reason I recommend credit card churning, and selling stuff on eBay. Its a way to make money that almost anybody can do, on your own time, as few hours as you want.

And if I'm working a second job at 3am on my weekend off, it better be paying more than $25 MINUS all of your expenses.
Especially if I'm shuttling a bunch of drunk college students around for hours and house, who reek of smoke/booze/vomit.

So don't do it then. A side hustle that allows you to conjure up a few hundred bucks over a weekend with almost no advance notice or setup or anything is very useful to many people.

There aren't really that many legitimate options that most people have if they decide they want to work a few extra hours one week at over $20 an hour. If you know of others let us know.

I have never had anybody vomit in my car. And if they do, Uber makes them pay you for it.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:16:12 PM by The Money Monk »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2017, 11:50:29 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of doing it. Not because I expect to make any serious money, but for the experience.

Krum312

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2017, 01:54:27 AM »
+1 for the experience.

I like people. I enjoy listening to them and hearing their stories. When bartending or serving in a restaurant, many people shared some wisdom in their short time their. Now that I am working in healthcare, people are not in the best mood to be sharing stories and life lessons. I've also looked into Airbnb for this reason.

My jobs take me 10-40 miles outside of the city. A job within cycling distance would be preferred, but since I am new in my career field, I will take what is available. If my 20-40 minute drive home is stretched out a little longer for some extra cash, then I'll try out uber or lyft.

A 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer is reliable and efficient at 30 mpg on the highway.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »
My car is too old to drive for Uber.  Most Mustacian cars don't qualify.
So is mine, and it's a 2 door.  So I drive for PostMates (delivering restaurant food).  GrubHub just started here,  I signed up but haven't heard back.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2017, 04:54:05 PM »
Anyone know how to fish for the highest driver signup bonus?