Author Topic: Drip irrigation - How do I do this?  (Read 2963 times)

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
Drip irrigation - How do I do this?
« on: April 30, 2013, 06:02:54 PM »
Hi you guys!  I've got my fruit trees in, my raised beds in and the seedlings are starting to pop.  I'd like to get a drip irrigation system in before I leave the country so my bestie can easily take care of my garden and I can use the least amount of water.  Right now, it would need to be hooked to the icky chlorinated water, but plan on doing a couple rain barrels after I return.   I've uploaded a photo from a recent mailer - would this kit be effective? Is this a good way of going about getting set up?  Or ridiculously overpriced?  Also see attached the area I will be setting up.  That is my backyard, with my driveway to the right and then my house.  Yes, the hose will have to go over the driveway.  Is lame, I know. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback!  I appreciate it!  I'd like to loop the four fruit trees and the two 4 x 8 beds.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:15:20 PM by Tami1982 »

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
Re: Drip irrigation - How do I do this?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »
I'm surprised that you even need irrigation in Washington.

I don't think I would buy a kit, as usually they have either more or less than you need.  Instead, figure just what you need in terms of emitters, sprayers, &c, and head down to Home Depot or wherever and buy those pieces.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Jamesqf!  I don't plant on watering often, but if I don't water at all the production won't be very good.  They will survive, but we can go weeks without rain in the summer. Grow plants, grow! 

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 12:26:46 PM »
I don't have experience in this area, but have you considered tree bags?  They're called like, treegators or oasis bags or something.  You fill the bags with water and they slow drip into the ground.

Dynasty

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:35:41 PM »
I'm surprised that you even need irrigation in Washington.

Summers are really dry here. Trees require two or maybe even three years of watering before they are established enough to survive on their own.