Author Topic: Doorway Pullup Bars  (Read 5866 times)

5pak

Doorway Pullup Bars
« on: March 15, 2015, 11:29:22 AM »
I've  considered adding one to my apartment since there aren't any real substitutions in the area besides a gym. Has anyone used one of these? Do they seem to work pretty well/worth the price?

vhalros

• Bristles
Re: Doorway Pullup Bars
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:45:16 AM »
I'm 200 pounds; They work well for me for body weight pull ups. I wouldn't recommend using them for heavy weighted pull ups though.  Also avoid any kipping pull ups, as this will put some sideways force on them that could unhook it from the door; this won't happen accidentally if you cheap a few reps with a slight kip, but if you do it really intensely it could be a problem.

They do have problems fitting on some doors, I don't really know any way to figure this out except to get one and try it.

The foam padding on mine that keeps it from marking the door did start to wear out after a while, but I just added a new thicker layer.

They don't cost very much, there are a lot of exercises you can do on them, and not too many pulling exercises you can do with out at least some similarly priced (or more expensive) piece of equipment, so I'd say they are worth it.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 01:21:26 PM »
I put one in my house years ago.   Works great!  I feel it has been totally worth it.  I don't even remember what it cost, but it was cheap. 

My housemate from that era is still a friend of mine.  He still tells the story occasionally of how he was surprised to see my shoulders broaden during the next year.  Apparently it's one of the examples he uses when he is trying to restart his own exercise routine. 

Then again, I am not a burly guy in the first place, so - no pun intended, but I did set the bar low, so to speak.   

:)

WhatIsFrugalAfterAll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »
Have one, love it.

Echo the idea that you don't want to do a swingy crossfit style pullup. It is possible to pull one down ;)  Normal pullups are fine.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 02:09:48 PM »
I was 118 lbs in college and had one tear the top wood part (header? Can't remember the term) off the top of the door. This was in an apartment I was renting, not the greatest quality build I don't think. YMMV. And it was NOT a kipping pull up either, I wasn't getting crazy with the movement or anything.

Smevans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Outdoor Society
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 02:48:02 PM »
I have an iron gym one. Works great for what I need. I am 190 pounds and have had no issues.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 03:08:37 PM »
I've  considered adding one to my apartment since there aren't any real substitutions in the area besides a gym. Has anyone used one of these? Do they seem to work pretty well/worth the price?
I can't stand them.  I'm 6'5" and I've whacked my head into quite a few at in-laws and neighbor's places.  I know this may not directly influence you, but speaking for all the tall people out there.... 

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 03:17:17 PM »
I recently got a pull up bar about 3-4 months ago.  First time I've ever used one.  I've been impressed with how sturdy they are.  Everything feels secure when I use it (175 lbs). And it comes down in about 2 secs when you need to take it down.  I think they run about $25 and assuming you actually use it, for the amount of use/strength training you can get out of it I think thats a very reasonable price. 

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 03:17:34 PM »
I also have an iron gym one. Works pretty well.

Also doubles as a perfect rack for drying shirts on hangers with the fan blowing under it.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »
I'm jonesin' for a used stand-alone one I'd put in my garage.

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 08:09:25 PM »
We've had two teens at church get hurt with door-hanging bars. Granted, being teens, they probably tried to do some Youtube craziness they saw performed on a park high bar, and then incorrectly thought that move would transfer to an unfixed door-mount bar. At any rate, they are young, athletic, and fit, and they healed quickly.

Instead, if possible, I would mount a wall-mount pullup bar. 4-6 solid bolts, and you're done. When you leave the apartment, a putty knife, a $5 mini-tub of drywall patch, and you'll be able to smooth over those few holes and any other holes you made during your stay. A bit more money, but I would spend it if possible. And you can hang your damp (not dripping) laundry on it to finish drying as well.

Don't be a player in an epic Youtube fail video. :)

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 09:46:01 PM »
You might need to reinforce the trim around the doorway if you get one. It's usually held on by a few finish nails, which are not designed to support your weight.

They also work well as a bike work stand. Just hang the seat over the bar.

danzabar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 07:52:47 AM »
Man, not to be a jerk but this reeks of complainypants. For 25$, it provides almost unlimited fitness opportunity. The amount of muscle I have built with this 25$ device is practically priceless. Secondly, the more weight you hang on the bar, the tighter it holds into the frame, unless your door frame is made with kindling I do not understand how you could blow out your knee doing them. I'm close to 185 lbs and have had friends who are 225 do pullups all day on mine, it is over 6 years old and that ROI is incredible.
Maybe we should all cover ourselves with bubble wrap and wear helmets on our way to the gym

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!