Author Topic: Door Seals, do they help with heating costs?  (Read 4052 times)

Beowulf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Door Seals, do they help with heating costs?
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
My Mom recently sent me a link to these door seals, and I was wondering if anyone has had success with them or similar products?
http://www.amazon.com/Duck-281636-Double-Complete-2-Count/dp/B0040JH2AI

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Door Seals, do they help with heating costs?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:00:24 PM »
My landlord put one of these on our back door a couple of years ago. HUGE difference in the indoor temperature. We have radiator heat so I can't speak to the $ savings, but it made a world of difference for our comfort level.

wwweb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:37:57 PM »
I made some very similar draft blockers using a sewing machine and some pipe insulation.  This is their first winter in use, and my apartment is still comfortable in mid-November and the heater hasn't been necessary.  Last year it was a struggle not turn on the heat in late October.  Qualitatively, the apartment is so much nicer without cold drafts blowing through from the balcony door.

Beowulf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:18:39 PM »
Sounds like they might be worth it then.

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:27:41 PM »
I use one and I recommend it!

MacGyverIt

• Bristles
  • Location: Not in a tropical, underpopulated location. And that's just wrong.
  • What Would MacGyver Do?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:56:46 PM »
Done and done.

Thanks for this post. Last fall I did all the research, made the door seal selection but never made the purchase. Just in time, too, it is (literally) freezing outside...

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »
For exterior doors, these look like they might help if the weather stripping on the door is bad.  me, I'd just fix the weather stripping.  There should be a seal the door closes against at all edges, though some doors have a bottom "sweep" rather than close against a seal.

For interior doors these might be more useful, but keep in mind that a forced air furnace is designed to draw return air through many parts of the house.  Blocking this airflow could reduce heater effectiveness.  Ditto for bathroom fans, there needs to be a 3/4" to 1" gap under the door for airflow.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »
They shouldn't be too difficult to make with some fabric, elastic and a couple of pool noodles.

IllusionNW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »
I just bought this two days ago and it has replaced the random rolled-up towel in front of the back door.  The floor around the door is definitely less cold, but our house is pretty drafty overall, so I suspect we won't see much difference in heating costs.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »
These are most useful for apartments/condos (not an outside door).   It does help with drafts in the winter and losing less cooled air in the summer and with noise from outside hallways.

I definitely noticed an improvement with the above when I installed it.