Author Topic: Donating to political campaigns? Do you do it?  (Read 9323 times)

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
Donating to political campaigns? Do you do it?
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »
I don't really care who you support at all, but just curious if anyone here supports or has supported a politician financially? For me, a Senator I really really like is up for a very tough race in 2014 and I want to help. I truly could donate $1000 out of my $3000 student loan payment for a month (I'm paying WAY over the minimums obviously) and I think I would feel good about it.

Just curious about how others feel about giving to campaigns?

lentilman

• Stubble
    • the Independent Penguin
Re: Donating to political campaigns? Do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »
Yes.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »
No.

My politics are misaligned with either major party. I realize you can't have a "perfect" candidate but the misgivings are too strong in both cases.

Plus, I've never had the surplus money to do it regardless.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »
I've contributed a much smaller amount (2 digits) to the campaign of my city councilperson. I personally think that the smaller the constituency of the politician, the more they're likely to listen to you, and the more "bang for the buck" your donation gets.

I might consider donating to someone in an office as high as the state level, but certainly never any candidate for Federal office (unless I really struck it rich somehow).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:49:41 PM »
I've done local for campaign for someone I know and respect. Wouldn't do it otherwise. Well, might do national for someone I know and respect, I don't know. Hasn't come up.

Lorin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »
Yes. Mostly for people I've known personally but occasionally for national candidates. But usually only $25-$50.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »
Yep - mostly state and local races, but nothing like what you're talking about. A $1000 in a Senate race is a pretty big donation. If you do do it, maybe think about hosting a table at some event by the candidate, where you bring your friends. Idk.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
I do, I tend to donate in smaller amounts ($50-200 at a time) but repeatedly…makes it sting less. :P I probably spent $1000-1500 total in the last election, but that includes $ to political action committees as well as to the candidate and the party. 

You could also consider volunteering your time.  I'm an introvert and just couldn't bring myself to go door to door, but I respect people who do!

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 10:36:11 PM »
A $1000 in a Senate race is a pretty big donation. If you do do it, maybe think about hosting a table at some event by the candidate, where you bring your friends. Idk.

$1000 will barely be enough to get a seat at the table for many events. It was $2500/ticket to get into a recent reception with a certain congressman. You're talking pretty much chump change in the political world. The bang for your buck just isn't there.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 10:54:52 PM »
Yes, but usually only to the Libertarian Party. 

I gave up on most Republicans long ago, but they still ask me for money all the time.

Janie

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 11:13:51 PM »
yes

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:09:53 AM »
Not lately, but I've done it quite a bit in the past.  No big donations, but $50-$100 here or there, if I really belive in a candidate. 

Not sure what I will do in the next big election, what with my newfound financial acuity and my growing disgust at all politics in general.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:22:41 AM »
I don't donate to presidential campaigns or the legislative branches.  I will donate to organizations who are trying to push through a measure or oppose a measure that I feel is right.  I have donated to local candidates, although this is very rare.

I like this quote from its always sunny in philadelphia.  I believe it sums up politics nicely.

Dennis:  When has voting ever helped? Who am I supposed to vote for? The Democrat who is going to blast me in the ass? Or the Republican who's blasting my ass.
Mac: You see, politics is just one big ass blast.
Charlie Kelly:  You're going to get your ass blasted.
Dennis:  It's coast-to-coast, nationwide, ass blasting.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
yes, whenever there is a candidate i want to support. usually much smaller amounts, under $50.

George_PA

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 10:12:23 AM »
Honestly, I would consider it a complete waste of money.  Even if you donate a $1000 to politicians, especially ones on the national stage, this is just chump change to them.  If you are in debt, this money would be much better served by going to pay for your own personal debts.  If you were debt free living in a house (with the mortgage completely paid off) it would probably make at least a little sense but even then I personally won't do it. 

Please keep in mind that a congressman or senator typically has 1000s or even 100,000 or 1,000,000 or more constituents.  If you send them letters or give them money it just goes into a giant box with the 1000s of other letters people sent to them.  You would be lucky to even get a staff member or intern to even notice your contribution. 

So sorry to be negative about this.  In grade school and some movies, we get a naive sense about the political process, in reality congressmen or congresswomen on both sides of the aisle are probably thinking more about how their votes affect their corporate donation contributors more than what you are sending them. 

This is not to say that you can't make a difference.  Often your own actions and money will much more greatly improve your life that relying on someone from the government to do it for you.  If you want to clean up your town, you will get more done, by simply taking a broom and start sweeping the street or picking up garbage in front of your house that you would by sending money to a congressman.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:14:16 AM by George_PA »

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »
I personally reject the expectation that money should be the primary signal of support for a cause. 

If I truly believe in a candidate and want them to succeed, I'll donate my time.   The layers of money transfer make the system feel entirely manufactured to me. 

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »
Not a chance. No way. Never.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 05:44:27 PM »
I once gave a few bucks to Ron Paul. 

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 02:22:22 AM »

I gave a lot of bucks to Ron Paul.  One of the few Republicans in recent years who I actually liked.

Most of the time, I put Republican Party solicitations right into the recycling bin or shredder.

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 03:50:54 AM »
Yes, I actually donate more money to political organizations then I do to charities. I haven't yet reached a point worth getting anything other then the standard deduction, and political causes anger/frustrate me more then poverty/social issues(character failing). I donate ~500$ a year to them.*

*Mostly to ACLU/EFF/rights organizations.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 04:38:51 AM »
I tend to give more money to charity instead of politics.

Like Libertarian, I gave up on the republican party long ago but they still ask me for money.  The closest I come to a political membership is my annual donation to the Cato Institute, which is still a 501c3 because they don't outright endorse anyone.

I'd rather donate to causes that push freedom of information for ideas I believe in instead of individual candidates.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 06:29:32 AM »
Nope.

I don't agree with how our campaign financing is being handled in my country so I refuse to support that system. I'll get involved in other ways; primarily communicating with my representatives and voting.

Outside of that I believe more in giving to charities rather than political parties.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »

Ditto.

I support a few "political" type causes (ACLU, EFF, etc.), but rarely donate to political campaigns.

I definitely wouldn't donate to either of the two major parties as they exist today.  I would donate on a smaller, local scale and/or to a third party candidate.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bethersonton

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 07:22:08 AM »
I was a convention delegate (at the lower levels of the election process) for a presidential candidate a few years ago. Spending an entire Saturday listen to local Democrats bitch, whine, and argue was enough "donation" for a lifetime I think.

I will never donate to a national candidate again (time or money), but at the more local or state level? $20, sure. But I would never, ever do it if I was in debt. That is a bridge way too far.

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »
Donated a few hundred bucks to a squadron-mate of mine, who ended up being elected to Congress.  Since then I took orders to the Pentagon, and this guy is doing his job, asking questions of the Navy.  Just so happens that he is asking questions about the program I work on, so he is indirectly making a lot of work for me to do.  One year I'm deployed with the guy, giving some money to his campaign, and before you know it he's on the Hill.