Author Topic: Don't know if I can stay until the end of my notice.  (Read 13323 times)

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
Don't know if I can stay until the end of my notice.
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »
My job contract required 2 months notice, so I sucked it up and gave 2 months. I'm now one month in and I just don't think I can do it anymore. We've had the week from hell. (I'm a veterinarian in a busy, rural, low-cost clinic.) The other associate vet has almost walked out multiple times. It's nuts. We're overbooked and understaffed.

This morning, I looked at the schedule and realized that I have 23 patients scheduled in the span of 3.5 hours on an upcoming weekend shift. I overheard my manager talking about adding another patient that day and told her that I absolutely COULD NOT see any more patients in that timeframe. Later, I went back and saw that she added the appointment anyway.

When I confronted her, she told me that I'm making a big deal out of nothing, this is totally normal, etc. (It isn't. In the clinic I'm going to, 3.5 hrs = 11 appointments. In most vet clinics, 3.5 hrs =7-11 appts.) She then went on to say "You're obviously just an unhappy person. You'll NEVER be happy anywhere."

Hmm. Rings a bell. That's exactly what my abusive ex-husband used to say.

So, I'm going to work tomorrow. Haven't yet decided whether I'll continue attempting to work out my notice or whether I'll make tomorrow my last day. I want to work my full notice and not be a jackass, but I kind of feel like these circumstances may warrant leaving only one month into my two month notice. Do they? Or am I just an unreasonable and unhappy person?

(For the record, my contract does say something along the lines of "associate doctors are expected to give 60 days notice," but also REPEATEDLY emphasizes that all employment is "at will" with no specified contract period. If anyone with knowledge of employment law has any thoughts, or wants a more detailed description of what's the contract, I'd be happy to oblige!)

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
Don't know if I can stay until the end of my notice.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »
My job contract required 2 months notice, so I sucked it up and gave 2 months. I'm now one month in and I just don't think I can do it anymore. We've had the week from hell. (I'm a veterinarian in a busy, rural, low-cost clinic.) The other associate vet has almost walked out multiple times. It's nuts. We're overbooked and understaffed.

This morning, I looked at the schedule and realized that I have 23 patients scheduled in the span of 3.5 hours on an upcoming weekend shift. I overheard my manager talking about adding another patient that day and told her that I absolutely COULD NOT see any more patients in that timeframe. Later, I went back and saw that she added the appointment anyway.

When I confronted her, she told me that I'm making a big deal out of nothing, this is totally normal, etc. (It isn't. In the clinic I'm going to, 3.5 hrs = 11 appointments. In most vet clinics, 3.5 hrs =7-11 appts.) She then went on to say "You're obviously just an unhappy person. You'll NEVER be happy anywhere."

Hmm. Rings a bell. That's exactly what my abusive ex-husband used to say.

So, I'm going to work tomorrow. Haven't yet decided whether I'll continue attempting to work out my notice or whether I'll make tomorrow my last day. I want to work my full notice and not be a jackass, but I kind of feel like these circumstances may warrant leaving only one month into my two month notice. Do they? Or am I just an unreasonable and unhappy person?

(For the record, my contract does say something along the lines of "associate doctors are expected to give 60 days notice," but also REPEATEDLY emphasizes that all employment is "at will" with no specified contract period. If anyone with knowledge of employment law has any thoughts, or wants a more detailed description of what's the contract, I'd be happy to oblige!)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: Don't know if I can stay until the end of my notice.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
I'm no expert but I'd walk if your new job is secure.

2 months notice (assuming you are in the US and they aren't similarly committed to giving you two months notice) is crazy.

If you are worried, call an actual employment attorney tomorrow. A few hundred bucks might be worth the peace of mind to bail a month early.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:38:43 PM »
If you're at-will you could walk tomorrow and it should be fine.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »
How about working at a happy pace and getting to what you want?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »

Considered that, but there is absolutely no way that I could bring myself to just walk out at the end of my scheduled shift with 5-10 clients/patients still sitting in the lobby and exam rooms. Wish I could, because it would make an incredible statement, but I can't.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 09:01:59 PM »
Here's the relevant quote from the contract, for any legal types....

"Veterinarian's employment is at-will, is not for any definite period of time, and may be terminated at any time with or without cause. Veterinarian should provide sixty (60) days advance written notice when Veterinarian intends to resign employment for any reason."

From a legal standpoint, I think I'm fine to ditch the BS tomorrow. It's just hard, because that means that covering this weekend will get dumped on someone else at the last minute and I don't want to be a jerk. But if my manager hadn't pulled the manipulative "you'll never be happy" crap, I wouldn't have to put them in this position.

Sigh.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 09:12:52 PM »
I’m not a lawyer, but the contract says you “should” provide 60 days notice. It doesn’t say you “must” require 60 days notice. It also does not specify any ramifications of providing less than 60 days.

Presumably, the ramification of short notice is that they wouldn’t hire you back. That doesn’t sound like much of a concern...  ;-)

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 09:17:45 PM »
Look through the rest of your contract for other penalties for leaving early. This is more common in the healthcare industry.

Check for non compete clauses, financial penalties for leaving, unpaid bonuses, etc. The organization can't force you to work, but you could have signed something onerous. Some of those clauses may even violate local laws, but act to "scare" someone into working the full notice.

Until you talk with a local lawyer, we're all just guessing though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »
The other option is to do just the 3.5 hours work, attending to as many patients as reasonable and then going home.

The remaining 14 or so patients are not your problem.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 11:08:14 PM »
You sound terribly unhappy. Are you the one whose husband works as a minister or pastor or something in a town you don't like? Have you tried talking to him about how you feel? It doesn't sound sustainable. What are your options? Like if you walk off your job, is there another way to support your family; can you make an exit plan?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 11:56:46 PM »
Where are you going next? When are you likely to need a reference from this place? Would it harm you in the industry if word got around? Do you live in the small local place and would it have a negative social impact on you?

Can you say to the manager that you will only work your scheduled hours during your notice period but understand if it would be better all around if you left now?

Could you go to a doctor and explain that the hours are having a negative impact on your health? Or just call in sick. You do sound really unhappy and stressed. I think you'll be healthier if you had a break from work (alas I'm not a doctor).

I'd go and I'd make it known that I'm concerned about the quality of care given how overbooked the clinic is.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 04:41:59 AM »
I already have my next job lined up. They would probably be more than happy to let me start as early as next week, but I would like to take advantage of the block of time off to deal with my mental & physical health.

On Wednesday morning, I woke up with some pretty uncomfortable chest pain that continued until halfway through my shift. (Presumably anxiety. One of my coworkers previously worked as an EMT and said I didn't really raise any of the red flags for heart attack.) I've had a lot of GI issues in the last few months (yay, IBS flare-up!)

My husband is strongly pushing me to make today my last day, though he'd prefer I refuse to work even today.

I live almost an hour from this practice, so wouldn't ever again ned employment in their immediate area. Word wouldn't get from them to the areas where I'm more likely to work.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 04:44:23 AM »
Look through the rest of your contract for other penalties for leaving early. This is more common in the healthcare industry.

Check for non compete clauses, financial penalties for leaving, unpaid bonuses, etc. The organization can't force you to work, but you could have signed something onerous. Some of those clauses may even violate local laws, but act to "scare" someone into working the full notice.

Thanks for the feedback! The only things my contract clearly prohibits are non-compete related, and I'm not violating the non-compete.

The other option is to do just the 3.5 hours work, attending to as many patients as reasonable and then going home.

Wish I could, but the clinic closes at the end of my shift. If I don't see them, they'll have to go home without being seen. I know myself and there's no way that I could do that.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 05:44:02 AM »
On Wednesday morning, I woke up with some pretty uncomfortable chest pain that continued until halfway through my shift. (Presumably anxiety. One of my coworkers previously worked as an EMT and said I didn't really raise any of the red flags for heart attack.) I've had a lot of GI issues in the last few months (yay, IBS flare-up!)

Shit. I'm with your husband. This is not good.

There is no contract that requires you to sacrifice your health like this.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 05:51:22 AM »
I already have my next job lined up. They would probably be more than happy to let me start as early as next week, but I would like to take advantage of the block of time off to deal with my mental & physical health.

My husband is strongly pushing me to make today my last day, though he'd prefer I refuse to work even today.

I live almost an hour from this practice, so wouldn't ever again ned employment in their immediate area. Word wouldn't get from them to the areas where I'm more likely to work.

I suffered a bout like that before when I was working a high-stress job...it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest, and I got checked out ASAP at the hospital, and yes it turned out to be stress/anxiety related; my heart was fine. I only say this to emphasize that I get what you experienced, and IMO, no job is worth that (especially a job you've scheduled to leave in 30 days!) You have already given 30 days notice. They should already already be well into in the process of finding a replacement. If they aren't, that's not on you.

I agree with your husband. It's honorable to want to fulfill your initial commitment, but not at the sacrifice of health/sanity. Good luck with whatever path you take!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 06:06:05 AM »
What can your manager do if you call in sick?  I'm betting nothing.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 06:18:09 AM »
Are you a short-term "contractor" similar to a "contractor" in the business world? If so, this clinic may be accustomed to replacing veterinarians on a fairly regular basis. Perhaps you could tell them you are willing to work three more days, and at that point, your replacement will need to be brought in. If the relationship is as bad as you say, it could be a win-win. Maybe they'll end up with someone who's a better fit for the ridiculously fast-paced style this clinic uses. (That was not an insult to you. Sometimes employment situations are just simply a bad match.)

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »
Calling in sick to take care of your mental health is absolutely OK to do. My mom started me on this when I was a kid. We'd get a free day each semester to call a 'Mental Health Day' where we could stay home and just veg if we needed to. I've taken that into adulthood where I semi-routinely take off a seemingly random day if my brain just needs a break.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 06:30:21 AM »
I'm not saying it's right, but coworkers, especially in high stress environments, often feel abandoned when someone leaves for greener pastures.  My last boss, who was a pretty good guy, made an strange attempt to load me up with a complex project (that was his) right before I left.  I sidestepped it as quietly as I could.  Another co-worker came in my office and broke down crying. 

Your co-workers are suffering a loss, and may react in in a number of different ways, including anger. Still doesn't make it right!

As far as notice goes, two weeks is customary for most jobs, perhaps longer for professionals with deep client relationships, such as some lawyers. 60 days is quite a long time to hang around after giving notice. The term "expected" is different than "required". As long as they don't have anything to hang over your head, I'd probably leave. I'd say something like I want to leave on a high note (even if there was none).

My previous employer requested 30 days, but was terrible about not starting the replacement process until someone was long gone.  I gave them the time they requested, but a week or two would have been much better for everyone.  Thankfully, they did actually start the replacement search before I left.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 06:30:31 AM »
Calling in sick to take care of your mental health is absolutely OK to do. My mom started me on this when I was a kid. We'd get a free day each semester to call a 'Mental Health Day' where we could stay home and just veg if we needed to. I've taken that into adulthood where I semi-routinely take off a seemingly random day if my brain just needs a break.

I've already used my 10 days off for the year. If I take a day off, I would have to make it up by working my next day off... so that wouldn't really help me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:39:32 AM by startingsmall »

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 06:33:15 AM »
I'm not saying it's right, but coworkers, especially in high stress environments, often feel abandoned when someone leaves for greener pastures.  My last boss, who was a pretty good guy, made an strange attempt to load me up with a complex project (that was his) right before I left.  I sidestepped it as quietly as I could.  Another co-worker came in my office and broke down crying. 

Your co-workers are suffering a loss, and may react in in a number of different ways, including anger. Still doesn't make it right!

As far as notice goes, two weeks is customary for most jobs, perhaps longer for professionals with deep client relationships, such as some lawyers. 60 days is quite a long time to hang around after giving notice. The term "expected" is different than "required". As long as they don't have anything to hang over your head, I'd probably leave. I'd say something like I want to leave on a high note (even if there was none).

My previous employer requested 30 days, but was terrible about not starting the replacement process until someone was long gone.  I gave them the time they requested, but a week or two would have been much better for everyone.  Thankfully, they did actually start the replacement search before I left.

They've been advertising the opening for a month but haven't received any resumes. It's probably  going to take them a LONG time to find someone.

jax8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 06:38:03 AM »

Considered that, but there is absolutely no way that I could bring myself to just walk out at the end of my scheduled shift with 5-10 clients/patients still sitting in the lobby and exam rooms. Wish I could, because it would make an incredible statement, but I can't.

Would you be comfortable assesing the waiting room, pulling the animals that look to be in bad shape, and then telling the admin to have the rest reschedule for another day?  Maybe treat today's shift like an ER department.  Walk out in the waiting room and ask each owner, "What are you here for today?" and move down the line.  When you hear their answers, tell the admin, "Move her, her, and him into exam rooms.  The rest will have to be rescheduled."  Then walk back to work, leaving the office staff to deal with the unhappy pet owners.

It's no longer your clinic.  You're not responsible for making sure they have a good name in the community.  I get not wanting to leave animals suffering or disappointing the owners, but there's no sense killing yourself to over-perform during your notice period.  And if your manager decides to let you go before the end of your notice period--terrific!!!  You're miserable there anyway! 

Bonus:  In my state, letting an employee go before the end of their notice period can be claimed by the terminated employee as unemployment.  I generously gave a company a one month notice, and they turned around and told me to leave after 1 week.  I turned them in and recieved 2 weeks unemployment.  Win/win!  I stayed home and still recieved pay.  A quick google search of your state's unemployment qualifications may help you decide how to handle this period.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 06:52:23 AM »

I've already used my 10 days off for the year. If I take a day off, I would have to make it up by working my next day off... so that wouldn't really help me.
I don't think any job can make you work if you are sick.  Check your contract: are the 10 days off for the year "paid days"?  What does the contract say about "not paid days"?   Frankly, whatever it isays, if you can manage with the pay then call in sick anyway: they may dock your pay but I can't see that there is anything else they can do.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 06:53:23 AM »

They've been advertising the opening for a month but haven't received any resumes. It's probably  going to take them a LONG time to find someone.

They need to contact an agency ASAP to find them either a locum tenens vet or pay a search fee.

You can check with a doctor about your anxiety/chest pain and look into FMLA for the remainder of your notice.  Again, this is all something a local lawyer can assist with.  Your health is not worth figuring out another month.

And to those comments above about this being an abnormal notice, this is fairly common with healthcare providers. We typically see up to 90 day notices required with major financial penalties for not upholding this. It's difficult to find talent and can be devastating to an area/location to have a provider leave. Someone has to see these patients, whether people or animals.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 07:36:16 AM »

They need to contact an agency ASAP to find them either a locum tenens vet or pay a search fee.

You can check with a doctor about your anxiety/chest pain and look into FMLA for the remainder of your notice.  Again, this is all something a local lawyer can assist with.  Your health is not worth figuring out another month.

And to those comments above about this being an abnormal notice, this is fairly common with healthcare providers. We typically see up to 90 day notices required with major financial penalties for not upholding this. It's difficult to find talent and can be devastating to an area/location to have a provider leave. Someone has to see these patients, whether people or animals.

ALL of the vet clinics in our immediate area are currently advertising for a vet. Unfortunately, our area is not a desirable one (ranks near the bottom of national well-being studies), so getting people to move here is very difficult. There are no relief/locum vets currently serving this area - there was one, but he's not working right now.

Standard notice in veterinary contracts is 30 days. (That has been the case in my 5 prior positions, as well as what's reported as most common in surveys.) Sixty days is definitely not the norm, but not the worst I've heard of. I once turned down an otherwise-appealing job because the ONLY way to leave before the end of the one-year contract was to pay $50k or some similarly insane fee.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:37:51 AM by startingsmall »

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 07:37:37 AM »

I don't think any job can make you work if you are sick.  Check your contract: are the 10 days off for the year "paid days"?  What does the contract say about "not paid days"?   Frankly, whatever it isays, if you can manage with the pay then call in sick anyway: they may dock your pay but I can't see that there is anything else they can do.

Veterinarians work with fevers, stomach flu, you name it. I've taken 2 sick days in 12 years. Not saying that to be a hero, but because it's the norm. You are expected to work unless hospitalized.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »
I get the expectation that you'll work, but who cares at this point? Call in sick, say you aren't available to work your offdays,and don't show up. What are they going to do?

Honestly given you have a month left it seems well worth a couple hundred bucks to consult and attorney and have them ready our contract.

scottydog

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 07:52:04 AM »
Looking back on this in 5-10 years, what advice do you think you'd give your current self?

Maybe you could frame sticking it out as a challenge that will make you stronger. Among the times that suck, there could be occasional moments of joy with some patients and their owners. At the end of it, you could feel pretty badass.

On the other hand, it could also be pretty badass to simply say enough's enough.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 07:54:09 AM »

Honestly, it sounds like you need to.  As you start running behind, tell the reception staff that it is unlikely you will be able to get to those last patients, and ask them to reschedule.  Be courteous- but if this job is affecting your health, you can't continue with the crazy schedule.

I mean, I wouldn't do a slow down; but I'd work at the pace you can and do what you can. 

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 07:55:32 AM »
A great scene from Finity Hold by Barry Longyear:

Prisoners are headed to the prison planet. They are all shackled into chairs in a large auditorium on the ship. For months. When his buddy starts to lose it, our hero tells him to relax and try a little meditation. "Not long now, Dom. Just cruise."

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 07:58:05 AM »
As a vet, are you under a similar oath to provide good care or at least to do no harm? Do you honestly feel you can provide good care in 10-minute appointments? If not, then under your ethics code, do you have a duty to inform clients and then help them to come up with a plan that will allow them the best care for their animals? Which might mean rescheduling them so they can get the time they deserve and need?

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »
At will employment goes both ways. They can let you go at any time for any reason, BUT you can do the same. You can't have at-will AND a contract, I'd think. Which may be why they used the word "expected." If it's that bad, just go. Take some time off, and enjoy!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! The only things my contract clearly prohibits are non-compete related, and I'm not violating the non-compete.

Wish I could, but the clinic closes at the end of my shift. If I don't see them, they'll have to go home without being seen. I know myself and there's no way that I could do that.

You could make that your last day, though!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2018, 08:40:42 AM »

I posted on your other thread too... but put a sign in the waiting room "This clinic closes at 5:30 (or whatever). If you have not been seen by 5:00 please speak to the receptionist to determine if you need to reschedule."

(And while I've never been rescheduled at my vet, I absolutely have at my neurosurgeon. They run 4+ hours behind sometimes...)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »

Veterinarians work with fevers, stomach flu, you name it. I've taken 2 sick days in 12 years. Not saying that to be a hero, but because it's the norm. You are expected to work unless hospitalized.

I don't pull out the F-bomb often, but here it is!

Fuck their expectations!  This is your life and your health, not your employer's! This forum is about empowerment. You take care of your finances so YOU can set the expectations.  I worked in a pressure cooker for years. I got plenty of dirty looks, but when I was sick, I stayed home, when the kids were sick, my wife and I alternated.  I never abused the system, I just did what needed to be done.  When they piled on heaps of work, I worked hard to get done what I could, but at 5:30, I was on my way home to my family.  I was chastised for not pulling long hours in my reviews on occasion, but at the end of the day, I really feel like I was respected for my backbone, and was paid as well, (if not better) than everyone else.

You said it yourself, every clinic is hiring.  You have the opportunity to reinvent yourself with the new job.  Set forth YOUR expectations from the start.  If things blow up, move on to the next until you find a good fit. Why not go ahead and flex your FU muscles by walking out the door?

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2018, 08:44:50 AM »
I applaud your concern for animals and their owners.

The manager sounds like a manipulative DICK

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »
I'd give the 60 days notice, and then do the work in a way that keeps me sane.  That would mean:
- Only seeing as many patients as the time allows (if twice the number of patients are booked for a day as should be, only half will be seen)
- Only working the hours I signed up for (8 hours a day - 40hr weeks)

If anyone gave me shit for that, then I'd walk out the door with cause and no guilt.

plog

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2018, 09:01:27 AM »
Ugh. The only thing I dislike more than bullies are people who put up with bullies.  You are responsible for your own happiness. Don't externalize this to your employer being a piece of crap. Certainly they are, but stop being a willing victim.   

Youtube "Team America Assholes, Dicks and Pussies".   Seriously, its a life lesson you need to learn.

Avoiding confrontation is no longer the path of least resistance.  Work your time, no more, leave when you should.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2018, 09:14:59 AM »
I gave a two week notice and stormed out one week into it. I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't even have a job lined up - that's how bad it got (thank god for FU money).

Treat the patients, walk out today, never look back. Congrats on the new job!

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
I would say, at end of shift today, "I've changed my mind, I will not work another day / another 30 days".

And for your coming recovery time off, I'd search out the book "The Assertive Option".  "...designed to build assertiveness skills and help reduce or prevent excessive anxiety, extreme anger, depression, guilt, worrying, or catastrophizing."  Mind-blowing for me; "You are allowed to change your mind".

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2018, 11:44:02 AM »
I haven't read the whole threat so sorry if this is duplicative.

The red flag that I see here is the potential for malpractice from being overbooked and not having sufficient time to give to each patient.  The risk to your patients and your license are not worth it.  If you are in a position to tell a receptionist to call some owners and cancel appointments, do it.  What are they going to do, fire you? 

And I agree with the other posters about having a local lawyer review your agreement asap.  You are at-will, so in theory you should be able to walk off the job immediately, but someone needs to do a comprehensive review of your agreement.  It should only take about 1-2 hours, depending on how long it is, between reviewing and advising you.  This sounds like an unsafe situation and you should try to exit it as quickly as possible.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2018, 12:09:13 PM »
1)  Please don't make the mistake of thinking that mental health is less important than physical health.

2) The only person who can stop the next place you work from doing the same to you as this one has is you.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »
Are there any online legal resources that are legit/reputable? Something where you can do internet consults with an attorney in your state? I'm more than willing to pay, but unsure how I would get an in-person appointment in a timely manner when I work 8-6. I'm off next Tuesday, but wouldn't have a chance to call around until my lunch break on Monday.

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2018, 12:21:03 PM »
Startingsmall:  What state do you live in?  For a matter as small as this, it could all be handled over email and the phone.  You shouldn't need to go to the lawyer's office. 

There are some "firms" that basically retain contract attorneys to whom they farm out work.  Some are better than others, but without knowing where you are, I can't say if you have one locally.

You can also go to your state's bar association to get a quick referral if you don't know anyone personally who can give you a referral.  If you know ANY lawyers at all, call them and request a referral-- they will almost certainly be able to hook you up with someone who specializes in employment law. 

Hope that helps!

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »
Startingsmall:  What state do you live in?  For a matter as small as this, it could all be handled over email and the phone.  You shouldn't need to go to the lawyer's office. 

There are some "firms" that basically retain contract attorneys to whom they farm out work.  Some are better than others, but without knowing where you are, I can't say if you have one locally.

You can also go to your state's bar association to get a quick referral if you don't know anyone personally who can give you a referral.  If you know ANY lawyers at all, call them and request a referral-- they will almost certainly be able to hook you up with someone who specializes in employment law. 

Hope that helps!

North Carolina

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2018, 12:48:23 PM »
Doesn't it seem at all strange to you that your employer reserves the right to fire you at any time with or without cause, but you, on the other hand, are expected to give 60 days notice? Why would you possibly feel any obligation to honor something as ridiculously one sided as that? You have the power to demand whatever you want from your manager. Just tell her how many patients you are willing to see during your shift, and make it clear that if your expectations are not met, you will walk out. Then the ball will be in your manager's court. If she wants you to stay, she will only schedule as many patients as you have indicated you are comfortable seeing. If she schedules even one more patient than you feel comfortable seeing during your shift, say goodbye to everyone and leave before the shift begins.

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2018, 01:51:28 PM »

Hope that helps!

North Carolina

I can't help wrt NC as far as a referral, I'm sorry.  But I would suggest you reach out to the NC state bar association to get a referral. 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »
Unless your contract says more relevant info, “should,” in the contract world is typically deemed 100% preferred but not legally required.

I deal with engineering code/specification every day, and that’s how it works there.

If you’re 100% on your job lined up - I’d be out of there so fast.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2018, 03:13:18 PM »
Doesn't it seem at all strange to you that your employer reserves the right to fire you at any time with or without cause, but you, on the other hand, are expected to give 60 days notice? Why would you possibly feel any obligation to honor something as ridiculously one sided as that?
A crazy disconnect for sure!

I do feel employers should be treated with the same respect they show their employees.  My current employer is not the worst...but they are remarkably shady in walking people out with ZERO notice.  Admittedly, a high temper employee may react very badly to a notice of eventual termination, so there's that...

Personally I still feel an urge to give anyone a standard two weeks notice.  Perhaps I think I'm being 'better'?  I don't know.

To the OP, I don't doubt they have true passion and empathy to the end patients (pets and their owners).  I admit that I'd personally struggle with the effect I had on them...more so than the dipshit boss/company.