Author Topic: Dollar Shave Club  (Read 11948 times)

Secret Stache

• Stubble
Dollar Shave Club
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:59:56 AM »
Has anyone ever used these guys?  I shave my head and face and this could end up saving me some money.  Just curious what your thoughts were on them.

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

goiyala

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Dollar Shave Club
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:24:53 PM »
I looked into it - inspired by this post https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/get-rich-with-the-universal-shaving-device/msg3832/#msg3832

You still have to pay $3 per month which is about $36 per year. So I went ahead and bought 15 gillette blades for $35 - which should last me more than a year.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:52:24 PM »
It does seem a little frivolous but as a bald man who hates buying blades I can see how it may be worth it if you shave every two days or so. Shaving your head with a dull blade sucks.

spacecoyote

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:57:44 AM »
You may also want to give this a read: http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/family-money/does-dollar-shave-really-save-1334930885394/.

Basically, it points out that Dollar Shave Club charges you extra for the convenience of monthly shipments. The article has a link to DSC's razor supplier, where you can buy the exact same blades for cheaper...just not on a monthly delivery plan.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »
My hubby shaves his head and face (head less often than face). We signed up for the Dollar Shave Club for whatever version is $9 per month for 4 blades, I think. The first month the blades came with the razor, too. This was pre-discovery of MMM. Hubby hasn't complained about the blades, though, and it keeps me from having to remember to buy them. I think we were spending way more before at Costco and CVS, but that was without coupons.

He's been happy with it, but more advanced Mustachians may disagree with the value issue.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »
I read too quickly. Will be going to Dorco for blades for less. Thanks for the education!

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »
Also look at double edged safety razors. I just got one this year. I love it. I worried that I might cut myself more than my old cartridge razor but if anything I get myself less. Plus blades are dirt cheap. I got a sampler pack of of 100 for $20 from amazon. Now $24.
http://www.amazon.com/Double-Safety-Razor-Blade-Variety/dp/B0038KA5RC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344886292&sr=8-2&keywords=safety+razor+blades

And I see you can get 100 for just over $7 to just over $9 although not sure of them as I haven't gotten to that type in my sampler pack.

I find they last as long if not longer myself although others say they don't last quite as long. But it all depends on the type. The handle will cost you more. I paid $38 (and it now goes for $44) for mine but it is stainless steel and I'll probably have it for the rest of my life. And it also came with 5 extra blades. For me it works out to be a much better deal. Plus it gives me some flexibility in choosing the blades, etc. And it is more environmentally friendly as much less waste and all recyclable. (blades usually come in a paper rapper and since it is just metal you can recycle just like you do with your aluminum cans).

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »
I'll echo just about everything rugorak said.

I also use a DE safety razor. I got it used from a gentleman on one of the safety razor forums for about $20. I could have bought a new one for the same price, but at that price-point they're all plastic these days. The head and handle are chromed steel and aluminum, respectively, and the whole thing is still corrosion-free after 48 years (yes, my razor is 27 years older than me! a testament to their longevity). I expect it to last the rest of my life. If you go used, any reputable seller will disinfect the razor for you in some pretty serious germ-killer, so there's nothing to worry about there.

The sample pack I got was about the same, 20 or so dollars for 100 blades, and I'm about half of the way through after 10 months. My favorite blades so far (Dorco Blue) are some of the cheapest, currently $8 for 100, or 8 cents a blade. Each blade lasts me about a week, which is 3 face shaves and 1 legs. Some of the more expensive blades last longer, but cost disproportionately more and I don't like how they feel on my face.

I too was worried about cutting myself more, but after getting the technique down (there's really not much to it) I don't think I could cut myself if I tried. The blade is sandwiched between the 2 layers of the razor head so it hardly sticks out at all, just enough to cut hair and nothing else. In fact, I'd be more worried now going back to a four or five blade razor; those blades are way more exposed. Using the safety razor also got rid of the razor burn I'd get on occasion.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 12:38:53 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Heavy-Double-Razor-Blades/dp/B000QYEK88/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Rugorak - Is this the one you were talking about?

Yes that is the one I have. I love it.

I suggest anyone looking at a DE do some research before buying. There are a lot of decent guides (and even youtube videos) out there. Figure out what will work best for you. Reading the amazon reviews the majority of the complaints are from people who didn't know how to shave with a DE safety razor (it is different than your typical cartridge but not that much) and "ripped off their faces" or people who felt it was too short. For me I like that it is short.

bak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »
I use a double-edge razor as well. The initial investment was a large amount but from then on I haven't paid for shaving supplies for a while (if I am calculating correctly I would have already spent that money on razor blades). Badgerandblade is a good place to get information about double-edge razors or for the more brave than me on shaving with a straight. As everything else, don't become a collector, if you don't fall into the trap on buying multiple soaps, trying new razors and brushes it will be worth it (financially).

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:29:56 AM »
I'm thinking of moving to a DE razor and trying it without soap. I currently make disposable razors last months without soap or shaving cream, so I think it'll work (I have a full beard, so it's just my neck I'm shaving). If I need soap, I'm probably going to buy a brush and bar of ivory soap. That should be fairly minimal.

However, the ROI wouldn't be there, given that I've made a bag of disposable razors (<$10) last years. It would mainly be so that I'm throwing away less plastic, I guess.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
This weekend we bought the DE Razor for the Hubs. Also, DORCO had a 20% off coupon code and no shipping for orders over $25, so we bought 200 blades. We're $66 poorer, but the Hubs will have enough blades to last 4 years.

Nephi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »
I used to use a Gillette mach 3 turbo, but the blade broke off and since then I've just been using a trimmer that my wife already has from cosmetology school. Now I just trim it every few days and don't use water or shaving cream. My face feels a lot better this way too, since it used to burn after shaving with a razor. I think what I use may be what Mr. MM referred to in one of his posts as a universal men's grooming device.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 07:28:32 AM »
I just ran out of razors, so I bought a DE razor. I plan to try it with just water as I've been doing, and make a stand out of a clothes hanger. That should keep the related expenses down.