Author Topic: Dog most likely has lymphoma  (Read 16527 times)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Dog most likely has lymphoma
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear that diagnosis, COLady.  Your pup has had eight wonderful years of love from your family.  Please don't have a heavy heart about making the call on this that you know is best.  Sending big hugs and wishing you peace.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 11:09:56 AM »
I love dogs, but if I were the mom of 18 month old twins, working, with a husband who is not urging treatment, I would just go with comfort care.  But then I think comfort care can be the right plan for humans too, after watching my father be miserable from treatment during his last months for terminal cancer.

We received the results last night - 94% t-cell lymphoma. I'm heartbroken but I knew it would come back positive as did the vet. He's been doing this a long time and I trusted him when he said "I just know that's what it is, I'm sorry".  Thank you all for the thoughts and kind words. Also thank you for the advice about whether to do chemo or not.

Thanks Dee, your thoughts are kind of where I'm at honestly. I was just laid off and start a new job on 9/19. I have a nanny that watches my boys while I work part-time. I simply can't do chemo for the dog (which would probably make her sick), take care of 18 month old twins, and work part-time. I can't expect my nanny to take care of a sick dog in addition to 2 toddlers. We have an appt. with the veterinary oncologist next Wednesday to talk about prognosis, etc. I think we're about 75% in the no treatment camp. My veterinarian has assured me that the Dr. we're going to see will not push me one way or the other but will let me know that facts about what we're looking at here. This just all around sucks.
Sweetie, I wouodnt  even go to see the doggy "oncologist" if I were you and given everything else you have going on.

Saying that, my dod actually did OK on Chemo, it didnt affect her appetite and quality of life that I saw, although she did get carsick at least once coming home from treatments, so that wasnt pleasant for her.

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2016, 11:42:38 AM »
I love dogs, but if I were the mom of 18 month old twins, working, with a husband who is not urging treatment, I would just go with comfort care.  But then I think comfort care can be the right plan for humans too, after watching my father be miserable from treatment during his last months for terminal cancer.

We received the results last night - 94% t-cell lymphoma. I'm heartbroken but I knew it would come back positive as did the vet. He's been doing this a long time and I trusted him when he said "I just know that's what it is, I'm sorry".  Thank you all for the thoughts and kind words. Also thank you for the advice about whether to do chemo or not.

Thanks Dee, your thoughts are kind of where I'm at honestly. I was just laid off and start a new job on 9/19. I have a nanny that watches my boys while I work part-time. I simply can't do chemo for the dog (which would probably make her sick), take care of 18 month old twins, and work part-time. I can't expect my nanny to take care of a sick dog in addition to 2 toddlers. We have an appt. with the veterinary oncologist next Wednesday to talk about prognosis, etc. I think we're about 75% in the no treatment camp. My veterinarian has assured me that the Dr. we're going to see will not push me one way or the other but will let me know that facts about what we're looking at here. This just all around sucks.
Sweetie, I wouodnt  even go to see the doggy "oncologist" if I were you and given everything else you have going on.

Saying that, my dod actually did OK on Chemo, it didnt affect her appetite and quality of life that I saw, although she did get carsick at least once coming home from treatments, so that wasnt pleasant for her.

I have to for my own peace. I need to know how bad it is at this point and what to expect going forward.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »
You may also find that there is a middle ground.  My cat was recently diagnosed with "probable" gastrointestinal lymphoma.  We opted out of doing a biopsy b/c we knew we wouldn't do chemo.  The vet prescribed prednisone (the P in CHOP which is typical chemo protocol) which has improved her appetite and quality of life.  Not a cure, but will make her last longer with decent quality of life.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »

I have to for my own peace. I need to know how bad it is at this point and what to expect going forward.
Ok, that makes sense! And like th pp kentimed above, steroids may he called for to retard growth fmthe cancer cells. My chemo dog took steroids when chemo didnt work.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog's diagnosis. Like Axecleaver and others, we gave our dogs special days with all their favorite foods and activities before we said goodbye.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 03:18:34 PM »

I completely understand this. It's easier to "know" you made the right decision when you have as much information as possible. I'm so sorry about the diagnosis, but you seem like a strong, compassionate person, and I think your dog is lucky to have you no matter what you decide.

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:37 PM »
Sorry to hear, COlady. :-(

The oncologist can potentially give different palliative options, and may be able to tell you what signs will signal the last call. Also you may want to prepare for it by deciding if a home visit vet is best at the end or not (esp with the kids).

sandsoftime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »
Sorry to hear this news, COlady, even if it was expected.  I hope that, with the help of your vet team, you'll be able to arrive at a decision that feels right and brings you peace.

I will keep you and your dog in my thoughts - wishing the best for you both.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2016, 02:28:09 PM »
We have had 4 dogs for the past 12 years (not all the same dogs) and I have spent a small fortune on them.  The one thing I won't do is cancer treatment. I have seen people do it and later been very sorry and they are still paying off the bills. Sometimes vets will tell you the prognosis is good when it isn't.  This happened to someone I know.   It is so hard to put a dog to sleep but it is a necessary burden of being a pet parent.  WE had a standard poodle that was picking up my small dog and shaking it and we  couldn't get him to stop.  My friend took him and at age 6 he had intestinal cancer. She chose not to treat and thought I would be mad because we spend so much $ on our pets.  I assured her that cancer is the one thing we won't treat.  It is not really a question of $ but what is right for the pet.  Hugs:))

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2016, 05:07:10 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your dog :(

Sorry to hear, COlady. :-(

The oncologist can potentially give different palliative options, and may be able to tell you what signs will signal the last call.

This. One of my cats has a genetic kidney disease and nearly died from kidney failure last year. He hates anything invasive (he goes from super friendly loving cat to psycho wild feral cat in seconds if the vets try to do anything more than a quick injection). So we had a few long conversations with the vets and we all agreed that he will only get palliative care (anti-nausea injections if he goes off his food) and came up with a list of signs that will tell us when it's time for him to be euthanised. Having the plan agreed in advance is helpful so you can make decisions even when you're emotional and sad.

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2016, 12:50:54 PM »
We went to the doggy oncologist this morning. I was hoping she would say it was the slow moving t-cell lymphoma but she said she didn't think it was.  They gave us the option of chemo for $7k for a median life span of 6 to 8 months or pred. and to expect that she will have a life span of about 2 to 3 months. That's literally like paying $1k a month to keep the dog alive and it's not even a guarantee that she'd live 6 to 8 months...it's so hard. They wanted to do a bunch of diagnostic tests today for around $900 but we declined and took the Rx for pred. only. It's definitely a weird feeling to not be doing "everything we can". I hope I can come to peace with it.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2016, 01:01:14 PM »
Oh god... I feel for you. It would be a hard call for me. I love my dogs like most people love their children (I'll fight you if you have a problem with it too), but they don't live forever.

I talked myself into a $3300 knee surgery for an otherwise healthy and happy 4-yo lab mix - no regrets. Recently paid about $1500 for the same thing for a 9-yo beagle, who's already running like a crazy puppy again. I don't second-guess those calls. But the older they get, the more of a dilemma it becomes. Now that they're both past age 10, we're more likely to just try to keep them happy and comfortable till the end, rather than stress ourselves prolonging the agony.

I hope that whatever time you have left with her is good time. Give her lots of love and treats. :)

I think someone's cutting onions in my office... stupid onions...

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
With that prognosis, I wouldn't put her through the chemo. It's sad to say goodbye, but quality of life has to be primary, in my mind.

I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »
Oh god... I feel for you. It would be a hard call for me. I love my dogs like most people love their children (I'll fight you if you have a problem with it too), but they don't live forever.

I talked myself into a $3300 knee surgery for an otherwise healthy and happy 4-yo lab mix - no regrets. Recently paid about $1500 for the same thing for a 9-yo beagle, who's already running like a crazy puppy again. I don't second-guess those calls. But the older they get, the more of a dilemma it becomes. Now that they're both past age 10, we're more likely to just try to keep them happy and comfortable till the end, rather than stress ourselves prolonging the agony.

I hope that whatever time you have left with her is good time. Give her lots of love and treats. :)

I think someone's cutting onions in my office... stupid onions...

On the surgeries, you may have come out cheaper than some of the more conservative treatments.  I may be adopting a dog with a hip issue that could require future surgery.  My prior dog spent at least 5 years of her life on rx food, anti-inflammatories and pain meds.  If you add up what we spent monthly over her life, doing even a $5k surgery would likely have been cheaper.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!