Author Topic: Dog fostering?  (Read 4021 times)

pigpen

• Stubble
Dog fostering?
« on: August 16, 2017, 05:32:32 AM »
My wife and I lost our dog of 14 years a few months ago. We would like to get a new dog (this is a non-negotiable part of our relationship). However, we're strongly considering moving overseas in a few (3 maybe?) years and don't want to get a dog that we'd just have to give away eventually.

Has anyone here had any experience with fostering dogs that you'd like to share? We're especially looking for creative short-term options because I can imagine it being hard to give one up after taking care of it for 3 or 4 months.

Thoughts?

Mountains mama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Dog fostering?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:24:55 AM »
I look after dogs for friends, colleagues and neighbours when they go away on holidays, sometimes for a few weeks at a time. You could even sign up with an agency and get paid for doing this. I am also a foster carer for the local animal shelter for cats and dogs, which are typically for a few weeks duration. Like you, I lost my dog not that long ago and have found fostering a good short term experience in the interim until I feel ready to commit to another dog. As a bonus, the shelter supplies all food, we just supply the cuddles! So far the animals through the shelter have been kittens and puppies, so I find them easy to give back as I know they will find homes very easily. There are also sometimes programs to look after pets for older people who have to go to hospital, or for women escaping F&DV that may want foster carers.
Another possibility would be fostering assistance/guide dogs as puppies. I have no experience with that, but the time frame would be for a lot longer - I think around a year. It might be hard to give up, but you would know that the love and attention you show the dog would be really appreciated by the person who would then receive a guide dog.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:26:36 AM »
I fostered until recently. It was a mostly good experience. I got to be part of rescuing some really great dogs. Each was only with me for a few weeks, though- that might not fit what you want.

Have you considered adopting an older dog? They are very hard to home and could fit with your timelines.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:09:55 AM »
What about a side gig where you get paid to take care of dogs while their people go on vacation? I've thought of doing this where I live--I think there is a demand for more dog care, especially during certain times of the year.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
 I foster for bulldog rescue. I have been a foster home for about, oh, 15 years. But I've been part of  a serious rescue group for the past  7 years and as part of that group We have had probably 25  Foster dogs through our house.

It is fun and we enjoyed the dogs. I don't usually have a problem letting them go to their new homes. It is true that I have adopted one of them as my own dog, and that was a matter of timing, I was ready for a new dog when he came along.

I look back over the roster of all the dogs we fostered and there is only one I regret not keeping because he was a nice senior dog, an easy guy, and he lived only one more year in his permanent home. All of our other foster dogs were fun to have here, but I was hapoy to move them along to a forever home.

kenaces

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:42:30 PM »
My girl is a huge dog lover.  She gets what I call her "doggie fix" by volunteering at local rescue by walking/visiting with the dogs there 3 days/week.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 05:31:23 PM »
My neighbour fosters guide dogs in training bc she loves dogs but she is not young any more and loves travelling. I think they even pay for the food and medical costs. I see her walking a different puppy every year, she always introduces the new dogs to us. She keeps them probably for 6-8 months before they are ready. And then, she is off between dogs.

It must be hard to give them up though.

MJseast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »
I've been fostering for the last year and a half or so. It's been extremely rewarding and also difficult, especially when it comes time to say goodbye.
I think it depends on the organization that you foster for, but most pay for supplies, vet care and sometimes food. I pay for the food for my fosters, just as another way to give back to the rescue organization.
All of my fosters end up with me for about 3-6 months, so plenty of time to get too attached. Again, depends on the situation, but every one I've had needed to heal from health issues before they could be adopted, and some were just more adoptable than others.
Every single time I have almost adopted the dog myself. And every single time I cried for about 2 weeks when they left. It's heartbreaking and awesome all in one. And I keep doing it! :)
Good luck!

pigpen

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:03:56 AM »
Thanks, everyone. We'll probably look around and try to do some more short-term fostering for now. I'd like to look into doing it for service dogs too. That sounds like it could be pretty rewarding.

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 05:38:55 AM »
Are there any groups in your area that work with military members to find temporary fosters for their pets while on deployment?  Never done it myself, but sounds like it could be a good fit for your situation.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 05:43:48 PM »
I'd try to foster senior dogs in your situation! Especially an "end of life" senior... your house might be the perfect one for them :)

I've fostered before. I had to buy a few additional supplies (x-pen, etc.) but overall the expense wasn't too bad because I already have a dog, thus I have most of the stuff needed.

I'd personally be hesitant to foster a puppy because of the sleep/energy factor. If you don't have work (or don't need a lot of sleep), then a puppy would be a good choice. I've done it twice and would be very unlikely to do it again (because sleep!).

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »
I'd try to foster senior dogs in your situation! Especially an "end of life" senior... your house might be the perfect one for them :)

I've fostered before. I had to buy a few additional supplies (x-pen, etc.) but overall the expense wasn't too bad because I already have a dog, thus I have most of the stuff needed.

I'd personally be hesitant to foster a puppy because of the sleep/energy factor. If you don't have work (or don't need a lot of sleep), then a puppy would be a good choice. I've done it twice and would be very unlikely to do it again (because sleep!).

We have had a couple of hospice,dogs. The last one was in
June, and we had her onlynfor abput three weeks. She died of cancer. She was very sweet, and easy. All she dis was lay around in her bed.