Author Topic: Does it ever just hit you?  (Read 27361 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Does it ever just hit you?
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2017, 05:48:57 AM »
I really don't understand all you people who claim to not know when payday is.  I've got the paydays mapped out for the next two months. I schedule transfers for the days after paydays so I don't have too much money sitting around not working for me.

Recently I was very much looking forward to next payday. I was a bit early with buying index funds right after my previous payment day, and I took a guess at how much I would need for the rest of the month. Then my DH changes phone provider and lost his option to log into his internet bank via his phone. We also have a code brick as an alternative method, but that had expired. He needs the code brick to order phone access. He ordered a new code brick from his bank, but the bank needs to send his request electronically to the central bank and they don't support this electronic sending in their system. They couldn't help him. They didn't tell him this for several weeks. So he hasnæt had access to his bank account for several weeks. That means that I needed to pay his credit card bill, that included a trip abroad. And i need to pay his other non-automatic bills. Luckily it just went well. My DH took over paying for some other things with his debit card. He has now opened a new account in another bank that can send him a code brick that will allow him to log into his other bank account as well.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2017, 07:40:45 AM »
I really don't understand all you people who claim to not know when payday is.  I've got the paydays mapped out for the next two months. I schedule transfers for the days after paydays so I don't have too much money sitting around not working for me.

Recently I was very much looking forward to next payday. I was a bit early with buying index funds right after my previous payment day, and I took a guess at how much I would need for the rest of the month. Then my DH changes phone provider and lost his option to log into his internet bank via his phone. We also have a code brick as an alternative method, but that had expired. He needs the code brick to order phone access. He ordered a new code brick from his bank, but the bank needs to send his request electronically to the central bank and they don't support this electronic sending in their system. They couldn't help him. They didn't tell him this for several weeks. So he hasnæt had access to his bank account for several weeks. That means that I needed to pay his credit card bill, that included a trip abroad. And i need to pay his other non-automatic bills. Luckily it just went well. My DH took over paying for some other things with his debit card. He has now opened a new account in another bank that can send him a code brick that will allow him to log into his other bank account as well.
Sorry if this is a stupid question.  What is a "code brick"?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »

Maybe it would help if Linda spelled it correctly, 'Kodebrikke' :)  Just kidding, it's a little electronic device that generates a one time code for a user to remote login to your bank account.  Online security for those rich Norwegians is way better than in the US!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:03:37 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2017, 10:17:57 AM »

Maybe it would help if Linda spelled it correctly, 'Kodebrikke' :)  Just kidding, it's a little electronic device that generates a one time code for a user to remote login to your bank account.  Online security for those rich Norwegians is way better than in the US!

An RSA key fob?  Lot's of US banks have those.  I use one for my primary banking account (eTrade).  I wouldn't bank or invest somewhere that didn't have that as an option.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2017, 10:25:20 AM »

An RSA key fob?  Lot's of US banks have those.  I use one for my primary banking account (eTrade).  I wouldn't bank or invest somewhere that didn't have that as an option.

Really?  My Chase bank and ETrade accounts don't use RSA.  Did you sign up for 2 factor authentication?  I didn't realize that this was standard in the US.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »
Really?  My Chase bank and ETrade accounts don't use RSA.  Did you sign up for 2 factor authentication?  I didn't realize that this was standard in the US.

https://us.etrade.com/landing/secureid_enter

Yea you have to sign up for it.  Looks like they have a mobile app now, like most other sites use.  That wasn't an option when I signed up, so I have a physical key fob, which I kind of like, but the mobile options is a good convenience trade-off.  I can't log into my account unless I have my key fob with me, which I don't carry around.

I wouldn't say it's standard (my credit union sure doesn't have this option, even though they're pretty modern with everything else), but it's definitely an option for some.

MrMoneySaver

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »
It has hit me twice lately. I'll start by saying that in our early 40s, I feel like my wife and I are way behind some of the net worth and income figures that I see posted here at MMM. So I was surprised when I did the "check your net worth percentile" calculator that was posted here the other day and found that our household net worth was in the 85th to 90th percentile range for our age.

The second time was today, when I bought an umbrella insurance policy. It was a huge hassle and I spent most of the day on the phone to get it accomplished. It occurred to me that, wow, this is a problem that you only have to think about if you have assets. When you didn't grow up that way, that's a weird realization.

Our net worth is probably lower than most people who buy umbrella insurance, and our finances simpler, in that we have no rental property and very little in taxable accounts. But a lot of our net worth is tied up in our home -- face punch, I know -- and we live in a state with a lousy homestead exemption. So I felt we'd be sitting ducks in the unlikely event of a lawsuit.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:45:20 PM by MrMoneySaver »

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »
It's definitely an odd feeling. Due to construction at work the route coming in takes you past everyone walking towards the door (fortune 500 co) so you feel like you're in a parade. As I got "the look", it occurred to me, I make six-figures and my 1988 4-door (with windows down on this 90F day) is probably the oldest car in the lot.

It hit me again as I had my leftovers for lunch out of a cool whip container, LOL.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2017, 10:23:27 AM »
Hurricane Harvey brought this into focus for us.  We had minor damage to our home (about $1500 to fix, quite a bit less than our deductible).

Literally 8 friends called me within 24 hours to tell me to file with FEMA  so we could get help to pay for it.  A few days later, my supervisor told me I'd be paid for 2 days of time off I'd taken to deal with the storm (I'm a contractor with no PTO) because they didn't want to cause a financial hardship for anyone [great company].

I very much appreciated all of the concern from everyone, but we hadn't even thought about the money.  It isn't a big deal - either the 2 days with no pay or the repairs.  We kinda shrugged and were looking for ways to help those who don't have the cushion to handle this.  Families who sent their kids to school barefoot because everything they owned was ruined and, with their jobs closed, they have zero money to replace shoes.  [Our school district is addressing these needs.]

It really brought it home to me how our choices, and, to a large extent, the luck of being born into the families we have, have protected us from financial worry and allowed us to donate to help those who haven't had the breaks we've had.

Odiedog859

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »
Sorry for this being a first post but the above comment really hit home.  I am a very recent FIRE enthusiast and the switch to focusing on what we spend rather than what we earn flipped the switch.  We have always been big savers but I took a lot of stupid face punches over the years.  We are now FI but I like what I do for a living and the company I work for.  My boss is receptive to cutting back to 9 or 10 months a year over the next few years so we can travel more.  I know I can walk when it it no longer fulfilling.

I recently responded with one of the FEMA Urban Search and Rescue teams to both Texas and Florida. So much of the affected area in Texas is lower income and folks had no option to evacuate.  We helped set up and organize an air evacuation of over 2100 residents who showed up with no more than a couple of heavy garbage bags full of wet clothes as their only remaining belongings.  I saw similar situations when we responded to Katrina in 2005.  It was an real "I can't believe how blessed we are" moment.  Using some of that blessing to help others moved up a lot on my value meter.

I love this site and some of the other early retirement forums.  I am in a position to point a lot of our employees here as an alternative to the standard assumptions of working and retiring and have become quite an advocate. Thanks for the constant examples of what is possible.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:02:51 PM by Odiedog859 »