Author Topic: Does anyone sell scrap gold/silver on a regular basis?  (Read 3852 times)

Zoe

• Bristles
Does anyone sell scrap gold/silver on a regular basis?
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:23:23 AM »
Just curious if anyone does this as a small side hustle..?

meagain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Does anyone sell scrap gold/silver on a regular basis?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »
I've thought of selling some gold and silver I have (just earrings missing one of a pair, unwanted jewelry, nothing major).

Regarding your question, are you asking if people go out and find scrap gold and silver and sell it? I imagine if someone has gold and silver to sell, it would be a one-time thing.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »
Not quite the same as selling scrap gold/silver, I often accumulate and sell scrap copper and aluminum. Usually 50 bucks at a time from random wiring and piping jobs around the house/jobsites. Aluminum not so much, since depending on the grade I used it to make castings for various purposes.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »
I've thought of selling some gold and silver I have (just earrings missing one of a pair, unwanted jewelry, nothing major).

Regarding your question, are you asking if people go out and find scrap gold and silver and sell it? I imagine if someone has gold and silver to sell, it would be a one-time thing.

I browse Goodwill's auction site and stumbled upon listings for bulk bags of jewelry. It's usually labeled gold, or silver, or costume, or whatever. Thought it might could be some easy money if it was bought for the right price.

yukonguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:01:51 PM »
I don't want to start a new topic for this - even when it's older than 120 days. I just wanted to ask the guys here if they can share any experience about selling scrap gold or scrap silver (like here: http://www.redollar.com/answers/sell-scrap-gold.html). I inherit some gold we plan to sell in the next 6 months. It's not worth a bank but a nice amount we would invest in some new land.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:59:16 PM by yukonguy »

MexMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 01:36:30 PM »
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/08/22/how_to_sell_silver/

Check that one out.. :)  Midwest Refinery they buy all that stuff

act0fgod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:43:37 PM »
As a dentist I've occasionally found myself with some scrap gold.  Whenever I've taken it to a jeweler or a place that advertises selling gold I've thought the prices they were offering were a joke.  I now recast the scrap gold into jewelry.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!