Author Topic: Does Anyone Own a Chevy Volt?  (Read 12074 times)

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
Does Anyone Own a Chevy Volt?
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:42:45 AM »
My wife and I are doing pretty well in all areas except our vehicles. Although we own both cars free and clear, both vehicles are SUV's and both get >20 mpg (more like 15 in the city). I'm thinking we'd be fine to drop to one car. My wife has a relatively short commute and the more I look at Volt's, the more they make sense especially in our case.

I'm curious to talk to anyone who owns one. Most online reviews are pretty positive and if we were to drop to one car, then something like a Leaf wouldn't work.

There are also a bunch of Volt's coming off lease and they are selling for under $15k with fairly low miles. I'm debating a Volt versus just a smaller hatchback like a Fit.

Most of the complaints I've read have more to do with dealers not being familiar with the vehicles rather than with the vehicles themselves.

Thanks in advance!

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Does Anyone Own a Chevy Volt?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 09:25:10 AM »
I think most people here would recommend a small engine car for 6-8k instead.

Though, I drive a lot and have been pondering a similar purchase...

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:34:20 AM »
I have actually seen Volts for around $9k...just with higher (100k +) mileage. Part of why I'm interested is the fact the Volt has a 40 mile rage on just electric. That would take care of 80% of my wife's driving. I've looked at our electricity rates and it would equate to about 1/2 the cost of the gas, even in a high MPG car...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:35:26 AM »
Look up dagiffy's Journal, Living in a Volt.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 09:42:08 AM »
Part of why I'm interested is the fact the Volt has a 40 mile rage on just electric.

Please keep in mind that the range on these electric cars can decrease by 30% to 40% in the winter in colder climates. My C-Max gets about 25 to 30 miles on a charge in summer (then it switches to hybrid mode), but in winter, it gets about 14 electric miles.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 09:47:36 AM »
I know someone who just traded his in for a different Chevy; I guess he was having transmission issues or something he didn't want to deal with--not a mustachian by any stretch of the imagination, though. Used it for a lot of driving, 100+ miles on a regular round trip to work and back.

I just read the Consumer Reports info. on Volts and the 2012 looks like the model to avoid, 2013-2015 would be better. They cite an issue with the "drive system" for the 2012 that got better in 2013, and by 2014 it's resolved. They mention that the Volt takes premium fuel for optimal performance--might want to confirm that, but having to buy premium fuel is annoying (I know, because we have an older Acura the recommends premium).

I would suggest looking at a Honda Civic instead. My sister gets ridiculously great gas mileage in her 2007, and the newer ones are also great on fuel. The Fit could also be a good option, as you mentioned. The Mazda 3 and Toyota Prius or Matrix may be other good options.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 11:58:22 AM »
I have a 2012 that I got almost 3 years ago. I f'ing love it. On straight financials it may not be the most Mustachian car but it does have a very low TCO for itsage, and I've never seriously considered going back.

I love driving electric, and I do almost all of my driving for $20 a month in juice. I have to go 185 miles each way for business every month, and I do that for about $15 worth of gas, but otherwise I practically don't use it. Gas consumption is so low that I don't even pay attention to cost, and premium vs. regular is a rounding error at this level.

Winter mileage, as noted, is significantly reduced. I see 30-35. This time of year, close to 50 is typical.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:14:27 PM by zephyr911 »

Ankenystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »
I work at a Cadillac dealership and I was also wondering on these. Seems like a good price for 16k. I was talking to the salesman (who wanted to sell me a ELR, the volts big brother) and he said the overall market is down of hybrid/plug-in because of cheap gas. I drive about 22 miles one way to work everyday but the pay is too good to not drive so I was looking at them. The battery is what most people fear, but as of last year aftermarket companies have been coming out with batteries to put in hybrid cars. Price is around 2k (parts and labor) for a aftermarket battery replacement. I wouldn't be opposed to looking into this more but from the ones I have worked on in the collision shop I have to say they are a pretty complicated vehicle but fare pretty well in a front end crash. I have seen some smoked pretty good and no issues with battery. Well this ends my rant but for the key notes.

-Dont worry about batteries, they are coming way down in price
-If you drive a lot you may want to consider a 220 volt charger at home (650-1000 for charger, plus electrician if need be
-Pretty decent holdup at common crashes from what I have experienced
-When gas prices go up, I wouldn't be surprised if you car actually appreciates in value.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »
Please keep in mind that the range on these electric cars can decrease by 30% to 40% in the winter in colder climates. My C-Max gets about 25 to 30 miles on a charge in summer (then it switches to hybrid mode), but in winter, it gets about 14 electric miles.

And guess what doesn't matter as much if you have a gas engine to keep you going? ;)

If I were to buy another car today, I'd get a Volt.  Chevy is doing a good job with the battery pack thermal management, and while it's got a good "daily drive electric range" for most people, it's still an unlimited range car on our current infrastructure (which, like it or not, is gas stations).

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 11:05:33 PM »
I got a 2013 Volt new off the line.  Still have it and still love it.  The only time I fill up on gas is when I go out of town.  No complaints here!  I had a problem with the coolant in the charging system being low once.  Took it to the dealership and it was good to go.  But overall smooth ride, nice A/C, great nav system.  The backup camera kinda sucks but that may be my car color I hear (blue).  I'd get a new model too I love it that much!  (yeah yeah not mustacian I know!)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 07:20:33 AM »
I just got quotes for one because I am kicking around the idea of buying a PHEV with better safety ratings than my 2010 Fit. A 2017 Volt Premiere with front automatic braking can be had for $38k with no negotiating, it seems. That's too much for me but might be more justifiable if you drive more.

Personally I like the Ford C-Max Energi a lot better - much roomier, it's a "real" hatchback, and off-lease ones have a real middle seat in the back as opposed to the no-middle-seat situation of 2016 and older Volts and the no-room-for-legs one with 2017. The C-Max Energi gets less electric miles, but if you don't drive a ton it seems like a much more useful car overall.

Currently my Fit is worthless as it's under factory recall, so I'm not changing cars and I'm instead driving a very frustrating Chrysler 200, which is ginormous and has a horrible interface.

If you happen to be in eastern Pennsylvania or southern New York, there's a dealership in Myerstown, PA called Brubaker's with a bunch of PHEVs and one Ford Focus Electric, and they all seem to be at pretty good prices. I tested out their FFE but then realized I had no way of selling my Fit for a reasonable price.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »
Personally I like the Ford C-Max Energi a lot better - much roomier, it's a "real" hatchback, and off-lease ones have a real middle seat in the back as opposed to the no-middle-seat situation of 2016 and older Volts and the no-room-for-legs one with 2017. The C-Max Energi gets less electric miles, but if you don't drive a ton it seems like a much more useful car overall.

I love my C-Max Energi. It's by far the nicest car I've ever owned (I did not go with a mustachian model/trim level). Like you said, it's quite roomy. Some don't like the "lost" hatch space that's taken up by the battery, but it doesn't bother me at all. Fold the backseats down, and you practically have a truck.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »
I got a 2013 Volt new off the line.  Still have it and still love it.  The only time I fill up on gas is when I go out of town.  No complaints here!  I had a problem with the coolant in the charging system being low once.  Took it to the dealership and it was good to go.  But overall smooth ride, nice A/C, great nav system.  The backup camera kinda sucks but that may be my car color I hear (blue).  I'd get a new model too I love it that much!  (yeah yeah not mustacian I know!)
Voltarians unite! xD

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 02:38:04 PM »
I got a 2013 Volt new off the line...great nav system. 

What makes your nav system great? Just curious, because I think the nav on my C-Max is a pain in the butt. Granted, I've only tried to use it a handful of times, but setting up the destination/address is such a hassle that most of the time, I end up saying "eff it, I'll just use Google nav on my phone...)  I get the feeling I'm missing something or not doing something right because, surely, Ford wouldn't have put out something this shitty. (The nav system, not the car itself. I love the car; hate the nav system.)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 02:39:08 PM »
I don't have nav in my car and never have. Smart phone does the job just fine.

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 02:50:59 PM »
I have a 2012 that I got almost 3 years ago. I f'ing love it. On straight financials it may not be the most Mustachian car but it does have a very low TCO for itsage, and I've never seriously considered going back.

I love driving electric, and I do almost all of my driving for $20 a month in juice. I have to go 185 miles each way for business every month, and I do that for about $15 worth of gas, but otherwise I practically don't use it. Gas consumption is so low that I don't even pay attention to cost, and premium vs. regular is a rounding error at this level.

Winter mileage, as noted, is significantly reduced. I see 30-35. This time of year, close to 50 is typical.
+1

I have a 2012 Volt I bought used off-lease. I still love it. I agree with everything said here. Hatchback is great, my first. It has been on road trips, no problems. It handles really well.

I test-drove a Prius, C-Max, and Volt before buying this car. It handles smoothly and well, better than the others IMO.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 06:24:09 PM »
I got a 2013 Volt new off the line...great nav system. 

What makes your nav system great? Just curious, because I think the nav on my C-Max is a pain in the butt. Granted, I've only tried to use it a handful of times, but setting up the destination/address is such a hassle that most of the time, I end up saying "eff it, I'll just use Google nav on my phone...)  I get the feeling I'm missing something or not doing something right because, surely, Ford wouldn't have put out something this shitty. (The nav system, not the car itself. I love the car; hate the nav system.)

Well let me update that with decent nav system.  The integration with traffic and what not was great when I first got it.  These days, I've switched over to Waze now that I've figured out how to have it pump through bluetooth and not mess up the audio as well.  The Volt nav is kinda older now.  I had problems with the destination as well.  Had to switch over to directed address to get things to enter right!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!