Author Topic: Does anyone NOT like their Instant Pot Duo?  (Read 5385 times)

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
Does anyone NOT like their Instant Pot Duo?
« on: March 08, 2016, 05:53:57 AM »
I have heard nothing but praise about the Instant Pot, and since I'm looking into getting a Duo model I'd like to hear if anyone has had negative experiences.  Thanks!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Does anyone NOT like their Instant Pot Duo?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:23:42 AM »
I was iffy about it at first, and am not quite as ecstatic as some. I am liking it better as I use it more. In this family, it was probably worth the price as a rice cooker, and I also have had very good luck with soups, and also like using it on manual to cook potatoes or carrots. It is helpful to just set it and then not have to watch something cooking on top of the stove, and also for the rice, the fact that I don't have pans boiling over is great. Oh, and the Keep Warm is very good to have.

But you wanted the negatives. A big one for me is storage--it is one more "thing" to have to sit out on the counter. I don't have a good place to keep it. I have a bookshelf in my kitchen, and actually moved some books to make room for it there...but I'd rather have books on my bookshelf--not the InstaPot. Oh well.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:45:08 AM »
Thanks, lizzzi!  Since it's going to replace the big rice cooker we now have, it's going to sit on the countertop anyway.  I don't love having a huge thing out but if we use it lots, it will be acceptable. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 06:50:05 AM »
Oh yeah, the size.  That was a negative for me at first, because it's tall enough that it doesn't fit in any of my cabinets.  But once I got in the habit of using it, it gets used several times per week, so, along with my BlendTec, it has earned a permanent spot on the counter.

The other negative is that the saute function is just OK.  Since the pot is tall with straight sides, food tends to steam a bit, and it needs to be up on high to really get any decent browning.  The bottom of the pot is slightly crowned, so oil you put in to brown foods tends to go to the edges of the pot.  It's still a useful function, but it could be better.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 06:53:58 AM »
The bulk is my biggest gripe too. I've got five appliances out on the counter now, and it's not like I've got tons of space around here.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 06:57:11 AM »
We have the older model, not the duo. Our instant pot lives in the cabinet where our slow cooker used to be, so it doesn't take up any more kitchen space than before we had it. My only regret is not buying the Duo model for its yogurt making function.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 07:00:08 AM »
Thanks all!  Regarding the bulk, I was looking at the 5 quart vs the 6 quart and it seems that the only size difference is a 2cm height difference.  I'm a bit shocked that the 5 quart isn't smaller, and on Amazon the 6 quart is actually cheaper (though I will probably go for a used one).  If anyone has any comments on which size to get, I would appreciate that as well!

SeanMC

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 07:25:43 AM »
I am a fairly recent instant pot duo convert.

I don't regret buying it. But there is a learning curve on how to use some of the functions or even thinking about how it can be used. So I'm definitely not taking advantage of it enough & hope to change that.

I got the 5 qt because it wasn't more expensive, and I didn't need the bigger size. I'm not sure it really matters that much.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 07:28:52 AM »
The main learning curve I found is the time it takes to come to pressure.  When figuring cooking time I always have to figure in fifteen minutes for the pressurization.  After that, a breeze.

Oh--and it makes PHENOMENAL hard-boiled eggs.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »
I cook for five or six, so got the 6 qt. Wouldn't want it any smaller.

justplucky

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »
I enjoy my Instant Pot. I mostly use it as a rice cooker, but have used it make yogurt (very successful) and a couple of pressure and slow cooker meals (pulled pork and peanut stew, among other things). It would've replaced my bigger, bulkier slow cooker completely if I didn't want the ability to pair rice with something cooked in the slow cooker.

I'm going to try hard boiled eggs next. I've never been able to make them well on the stove top.

At first I regretted my purchase, but now it makes certain things easier, so it was worth buying. It does have a learning curve; it took a couple of tries for me to cook good basmati rice.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »
I found I don't really like how meat tastes when it's been cooked under pressure. It gets a weird texture, too soft and stringy. I know the Instant Pot does more than pressure cook ... just something to be aware of, though.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »
Awesome, I am totally getting one.  It sounds like no one has any real problems with the product.  We don't cook meat at home anyway, so the texture is not a worry!

Runge

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »
I got one over Christmas and have really only used it as a rice cooker for now. It does a FANTASTIC job of cooking rice, btw. It doesn't matter what kind of rice. Just put the correct ratio of uncooked rice to water in, and it'll be perfect every time.

I've been wanting to find other dishes to cook in it, but haven't found a good recipe for it just yet. It can be hard to find something when I have so many ways to cook meals between casseroles, stir fry, and curry. (and I really love fried rice and curry) First world problems...