Author Topic: Does Anyone NOT Have An Amazon Account?  (Read 10170 times)

mamagoose

• Bristles
Does Anyone NOT Have An Amazon Account?
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »
I was doing my weekly Mint check-in and came across four Amazon transactions from this week. I don't remember buying anything, neither does my husband. We had to go online and see what the items were (no fishy business, everything was legit, we just got Amazon Amnesia and forgot). It's kind of like how you go to Target, come out $100 lighter and can't remember what you bought. Thinking back on things we've purchased from Amazon, most could be purchased locally for not exorbitantly more money (running shoes, irrigation timer) but occasionally there's an odd thing that comes up (children's face mask for wildfire smoke). In an effort to keep better track of our spending, I'm considering disabling the Amazon account and going back to the old big-box store route, where at least I had a paper receipt to put on the fridge for tracking later.

Does anyone here not use Amazon? Do you ever miss it / find yourself having trouble without it?

To clarify, we have never had a Prime membership, just the regular account.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Does Anyone NOT Have An Amazon Account?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 01:44:30 PM »
I'll never go back.  Amazon means I barely ever have to go to "the store" anymore.  I make a shopping list and then I'm already done.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »
I have an Amazon account (who knows for how long?), but I don't typically buy much through it.  Maybe 4 times a year?  Mostly when I'm sending a gift, since their shipping is free or cheaper than buying something locally and sending through USPS.  I've done the free Prime trial maybe 3 times now? around Christmas.  I price-check on Amazon, but I can buy most "daily use" stuff cheaper locally.  And even big-ticket items I find cheaper on other websites.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss Amazon if it went away.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »
I cancelled my (prime) membership because it was just too easy to find something to buy and especially with prime because I felt like I needed to get my money's worth. But I hate shopping and will delay purchases simply because I don't want to step foot in a store, so cancelling has saved me money. Amazon was too convenient for me, I'm glad I gave it up.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »
I use amazon to avoid dragging two kids to the store. I do not, however, have Amazon Prime. I estimate that I have saved a lot of money by not being able to buy every little item I want with free two day shipping.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 01:50:02 PM »
I only use it for things I can't find in a store. I dislike buying things that I can't see and touch first.
Is it cheaper than a store for most items, even when one factors in shipping cost?

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 01:58:01 PM »
I only use it for things I can't find in a store. I dislike buying things that I can't see and touch first.
Is it cheaper than a store for most items, even when one factors in shipping cost?

It's usually at least the same price, if not cheaper. I won't pay more for amazon then i would at the store. At that point, I would just get it from the store instead.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
I've found things are for the most part either cheaper or the same price, with exceptions on large bulky yet cheap things (like laundry detergent).  You just have to be careful.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
I'll never go back.  Amazon means I barely ever have to go to "the store" anymore.  I make a shopping list and then I'm already done.

This. Amazon tracks it all for you, emails you, etc. Then there is no 'browsing' and accidentally buying (usually).

And the (time) cost of driving to a store for me... the nearest Target is 20 minute away. No thanks. I'd rather think carefully about what I need and then have it show up 2 days later.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 02:28:03 PM »

Yes, IME. It's usually cheaper than any store, and any other e-tailer.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:31:59 PM »
I like using Amazon.  I'd never pay for Prime, though.  I don't do a lot of shopping.  One thing I almost always do is, when I'm buying something, I put it in my cart then leave the computer.  I'll come back a few days later and see if I still want it.  Lots of times, I don't.  I also have a private wishlist that I use in much the same way.  For me, putting it in the cart / on the wishlist satisfies the "oh, this is something cool / useful, I should get it" impulse and gets it out of my head.  Later, once that initial impulse has faded, I can decide whether or not to actually buy it.

And like others have said, I hate going to stores.  Except I kind of like Aldi. :)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 02:59:57 PM »
As you know they are keeping track for/of you.
54 orders since 2007, including 14 in both 2014 and 2015.
 I noted about a dozen household repair parts, some of my
hobby supplies/tools a few smaller electronic radio type items,
and several books.
 I don't have Prime, if I wanted something fast I could have my
daughter order it for me. She has a student Prime account.
 The kid just doesn't live up to the frugal standard I expect. :-)

When can we expect to see the Amazon truck instead of the
UPS or FEDEX truck?

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
My mother doesn't have one.  She has me do her online shopping for her, sometimes with her sitting beside me while I do it (it took DAYS literally to find her a new quilt).  On her fixed income, even the smallest of savings is very important.

I hit Amazon up frequently, if for nothing else, as a price check to see what the best deal is.  Being in a relatively rural area and personally hating going shopping especially if I have to travel an hour or more to get to a set of stores to shop around in, online is often the most cost effective option.  Amazon has saved us both lots of money over the years on lots of things, from basics like her preferred dry cat food to vanilla beans we all make our own vanilla extract from.  I have Prime to save on shipping costs more than for the 2 day delivery.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
Amazon saves me the price of a car, and it's cheaper than uber.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 04:15:28 PM »
I don't have a regular Amazon account, but have guest ordered a few things from them over the years.  I had a couple bad experiences and they're on my list of vendors to avoid.  Occasionally I can't help it and have to get something from them.  However, typically I can get stuff local for comparable prices (often cheaper once shipping is accounted for).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 04:35:01 PM »
How is a paper receipt on the fridge better than a readily available history of every item you have ever purchased?

I <3 Amazon.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 10:32:05 PM »
UPS or FEDEX truck?
I'm not sure if you're really asking, but for at least a few years in my area (Chicago suburbs), at least 80% of my Amazon packages come from Amazon's own courier service, not UPS/FedEx/USPS.  They kind of sucked at first, but they fixed it pretty quickly and now it's excellent.
How is a paper receipt on the fridge better than a readily available history of every item you have ever purchased?

I <3 Amazon.
This too.  Holy shit.  It's wonderful for effortless record keeping.  Great for tracking business expenses or even the curiosity of "hey what was that thing I bought two years ago called?"  And CamelCamelCamel is awesome for checking price history.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 11:13:25 PM »
I've had Amazon since my freshman year of college (2006)--I got robbed blind at the bookstore first semester and then wised up to shopping around for textbooks.

My dad doesn't have one, though. He doesn't really "online" at all, though--no e-mail even.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 05:11:34 AM »
I don't use my Amazon account that frequently. Not enough sellers ship internationally (even when I set 'ship to Australia' too many of my search results don't ship here). Amazon need to fix their search :)

Although maybe I'll use it more often once they set up local warehouses (which is coming soon).

If I'm buying big items usually I'll just buy in person (although I did buy one large item from Amazon UK recently as I couldn't get it in Aus, ordered on Sunday night, arrived on Thursday). If it's little things like a phone case, I just use eBay.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:13:18 AM by alsoknownasDean »

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 07:04:32 AM »
No, I'd never give up my Amazon account.  I'm not an over-user, but here are my thoughts:

- When I'm planning to buy something, I often check the Amazon price -- and fairly often, if the store-item isn't on sale, Amazon's cheaper.  Often I'm willing to wait two days. 

- You can find unusual things.  Compression socks for my nurse daughter.  A belt for my decades-old vacuum.  The specific brand of cloth diapers my niece wanted for her baby shower.  Could I find these things locally?  Some, yes; but it would take more effort than clicking a mouse. 

- Textbooks.  I think my college daughter's three textbooks all came from Amazon this semester. 

- I keep "a cart of things" going so that when I do need something, I have enough piled up that I will qualify for free shipping.  No, I'm not buying things I wouldn't purchase otherwise.  Rather, I tend to fill the cart with things I'm going to need in the next couple months anyway -- for example, last week someone mentioned a children's book series, and I thought, "That'd be a perfect Christmas gift for my niece."  (I give all the extended family children special books for Christmas and art supplies for their birthdays.)  So I added the books to the cart.  At some point, I'll need to order something from Amazon, and the planned-book-purchase will happen at the same time -- and putting those things together will mean that I don't pay shipping. 

- Do you realize used items are available on Amazon?  And quite a few building items (for example, light fixtures) are available either second-quality or used? 

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 07:56:33 AM »
I have an account...but I also have a paypal account from that time I worked for elance for 4 months in 2005 or so.

I get free kindle books from amazon about once a month, and might order something physical online from amazon or any other retailer twice a year.

BUT, it sounds like the problem in your family is that Amazon is cheap and easy and you have built up a mindless habit. So of COURSE you should do whatever you need to, to break the habit. I frequently have this problem with fast food or takeout tea or coffee, and need to ban myself from location x. Eventually I can shop there again, because the habit is broken. So pick an arbitrary amount of time, and no Amazon for that period. Then you won't be used to surfing all of the suggestions.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
Nailed it - it's mindless shopping. We aren't the type to go hang out in Target or the mall and shop mindlessly, and we also don't hop onto Woot to buy crap either, but Amazon does make it wayyyyyy too convenient to buy things that don't really jive with our monthly spending plans (and thus saving plans).

Spartana, you're an inspiration.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 09:23:24 AM »
No, I'd never give up my Amazon account.  I'm not an over-user, but here are my thoughts:

- When I'm planning to buy something, I often check the Amazon price -- and fairly often, if the store-item isn't on sale, Amazon's cheaper.  Often I'm willing to wait two days. 

- You can find unusual things.  Compression socks for my nurse daughter.  A belt for my decades-old vacuum.  The specific brand of cloth diapers my niece wanted for her baby shower.  Could I find these things locally?  Some, yes; but it would take more effort than clicking a mouse. 

- Textbooks.  I think my college daughter's three textbooks all came from Amazon this semester. 

- I keep "a cart of things" going so that when I do need something, I have enough piled up that I will qualify for free shipping.  No, I'm not buying things I wouldn't purchase otherwise.  Rather, I tend to fill the cart with things I'm going to need in the next couple months anyway -- for example, last week someone mentioned a children's book series, and I thought, "That'd be a perfect Christmas gift for my niece."  (I give all the extended family children special books for Christmas and art supplies for their birthdays.)  So I added the books to the cart.  At some point, I'll need to order something from Amazon, and the planned-book-purchase will happen at the same time -- and putting those things together will mean that I don't pay shipping. 

- Do you realize used items are available on Amazon?  And quite a few building items (for example, light fixtures) are available either second-quality or used?
Totally agree on the 'unusual things'.   I've bought things on Amazon that I don't know what kind of store would sell. 
Most of the books I buy are used - I'm often amazed that hardcovers are less than paperbacks.
How do you find second-quality items?!?

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
I do not, nor have ever had, an Amazon account. Why would I have one and for what purpose? It is not clear to me what the point/value would be. The overwhelming majority of my purchases go towards rent, healthcare, and locally sourced food. I don't see how Amazon could intervene in such transactions. Am I missing something?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 09:57:13 AM »
I have a regular, not Prime, Amazon account that I find invaluable for getting hard-to-find items (books, pet supplies, dvds/video/music, and weird things like neoprene pads for the arms of my eyeglasses so they don't hurt my ears, which I looked all over my city of 100,000 for and could not locate, etc).  The extent of their empire creeps me out, but I can't deny they offer unbeatable convenience for the price.

I also use their wish list as a place to 'stash' items that I might want to investigate further and maybe buy, but have no pressing need to investigate  or buy now, and will otherwise forget about.

However, I don't get "Amazon amnesia" because I don't impulse-purchase. I have things in my wish list that have been there ten years or more.  I buy about 2 times per year, in bulk to keep shipping costs down. Except for gifts, which I buy as needed.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
I've been using Amazon for years.  But my use is changing.
I believe Amazon has gotten to big for it's britches.
Search on Amazon has become more frustrating than productive, esp. if you sort by lowest price.  Some of the items that it shows aren't even related to what I'm searching for.   And a growing trend is prices of 'from X to Y', and most of the time I can't find it at the X price at all.
Help on Amazon is a joke.  It only allows certain categories.  If you need help with something else, you're just outta luck.   I spent hours going in circles trying to file a complaint about their search results.
Some vendors list every size, color, etc. as separate items.  Very frustrating.
I had Prime for a couple years, but I cancelled it.    It was taunting me to buy things - otherwise I wasn't getting my moneys worth.   I have since gotten prime for a month twice, when I needed something fairly quickly. 
I use Amazon customer reviews, but I do it with a very big grain of salt now.   I ignore reviews that are generic and vague.   I'd get something with 20 4 star reviews rather than something with 3 5 star reviews.
I no longer trust that Amazon has the best price of anything.   But I will pay a bit more for something on Amazon because I know I can return or exchange things.    I always check if the item is available refurbished, used or from other sellers.
Amazons biggest advantage is things that aren't readily available locally.  I'm on the edge of a pretty big city, so that gives me more shopping options than others, but it still doesn't match Amazons variety.
I use the wish list quite a bit.  I have 3 lists. 

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2017, 11:10:25 AM »
My Amazon order history goes back to April 2000, so I've had it at least that long.

I used it this week to order a 5 qt container of Mobil 1 oil for $22.88, which was the same as the lowest price I could find locally at Wal-Mart. I saved whatever time and money it would have cost me to drive to Wal-Mart and got the oil two days later. I love Amazon.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
I don't have Amazon Prime, because it is not worth it to me.  Amazon video is pretty similar to netflix, so there's little benefit to me.  When I buy something on-line, I shop via google shop plus typically go to Amazon and Walmart (if they don't show up on google shopping).  The cheapest with shipping wins.

I think your problem may not be Amazon, but might be that your family is not tracking your expenses directly.  I don't have Mint, but it sounds like if you buy something, it does not hit Mint until after the charge is processed which is at least a business day after Amazon ships the item...in the meantime you guys are buying more (crap?) items.

Why don't you/your spouse post purchases on a spreadsheet or some other program (YNAB, etc.).

No, I don't have a problem with my Amazon account.  You can look up your history pretty easily...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:33:23 PM by frugaliknowit »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »
UPS or FEDEX truck?
I'm not sure if you're really asking, but for at least a few years in my area (Chicago suburbs), at least 80% of my Amazon packages come from Amazon's own courier service, not UPS/FedEx/USPS.  They kind of sucked at first, but they fixed it pretty quickly and now it's excellent.
I was somewhat serious, I didn't realize they had their own courier service in some places, and I do wonder if they would ever try to purchase one of the big two delivery companies.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2017, 11:22:31 PM »
The last several years we've placed one order at Christmas for gifts. We don't really "go to the store" either unless it's the grocery store. I replace an article or two of clothing a year and there's the occasional purchase of HVAC filters and things of that sort.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 02:37:18 AM »
I actively avoid Amazon Prime, even the free trial offers, because I live out in the country and any Prime order just results in a courier making a long journey out here for my small item rather than it just coming in the regular post which is here every day.

Apart from that, as others mention I try to use it only for things I can't get elsewhere. For second hand books, I prefer to use it as a shop window and then buy direct from the seller's own website, so as not to reinforce the near monopoly.

The one thing I often can't get a workaround for are ebooks, where independent publishers and platforms are going out of business.  So nearly all my Amazon purchases these days are ebooks.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 10:53:38 AM »
How do you find second-quality items?!?
On Amazon:  It's not available for everything, but look underneath the "Add to Cart" button on the right, look underneath it -- it'll also be a colored button, and it'll say either "Buy used" or "See all Buying Options" or something close to that.  Click that button, and you'll see what other choices exist.

This option is often available with books.  Amazon will link you to independent book sellers, and you can see that a guy in Kansas has your book in "acceptable condition" for 3.99, while another in Maryland is selling the same book in "like new" condition for 2.99.  I think I've focused on that because of college textbooks.

Right now I want a certain stained glass light fixture (so beautiful), but I needed three, and they are selling for $180 each.  Clicking into all the options, I see that two are available for $30 each used.  So I'm trying to decide whether to buy two used and wait /hope ... or whether to buy two used and one at full price.  But my point is, options are available. 

In other areas of my life:  It varies:

- We pass by a little hole-in-the-wall outlet as we drive up to the college our oldest attended:  Factory Sock Outlet.  We've stopped in there a couple times, and now we will not need to buy socks probably for a decade.  Love that place.

- When my kids were little, I knew a local woman who sold second-quality disposable diapers by the case. 

- I shop at a shop-and-dent store that sells food that should've gone to fast food places, but the packages were damaged.  I heard about it through word of mouth. 

- I have Fiestaware dishes.  They're pretty pricey at full price, but the factory holds a tent sale a couple times a year, and they sell seconds.  Again, I heard about it through word of mouth.

- Ebay is always a place to find such things. 

I think your problem may not be Amazon, but might be that your family is not tracking your expenses directly.  I don't have Mint, but it sounds like if you buy something, it does not hit Mint until after the charge is processed which is at least a business day after Amazon ships the item...in the meantime you guys are buying more (crap?) items.
This sounds like something we've all heard before:  Credit cards are neither good nor bad.  Used well, they are convenient and provide you with rewards.  Used poorly, they allow you to spend beyond your means and get yourself into financial straits. 

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 10:02:04 AM »
I LOVE Amazon. As in LOVE. Convenient, affordable and you can find anything on there. I only go to the store for groceries. I do mooch of my mom's Amazon prime account, I just put in my credit card info. I watch videos on there and also buy stuff occasionally. I don't really over spend so that's not a problem for me.

The only time I get amazon amnesia is when I'm buying a product from out of the country from a specific seller and I get a package and realize, "It's the Japanese sunscreen I bought two months ago."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:07:03 AM by Rimu05 »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »
I do not, nor have ever had, an Amazon account. Why would I have one and for what purpose? It is not clear to me what the point/value would be. The overwhelming majority of my purchases go towards rent, healthcare, and locally sourced food. I don't see how Amazon could intervene in such transactions. Am I missing something?

Well, it was the only place I found a thermostat to repair my refrigerator instead of buying a new one.

Textbooks, oh, yes. So much cheaper.

Food. I could drive 45 miles each way to the nearest place to buy a pound of yeast for making bread, or I could get it brought to me. Or I could buy it at more than 10x the price in tiny envelopes at the grocery store.

Car parts for less than autozone. Cat medicine for 30% less than the vet charges. Two $35 smart phones when we finally decided to take the plunge and get rid of the flip phones (this summer). Replacement laptop battery.

All that's just within the last several months.

Oh, and all Christmas shopping. I do not enter stores in December except for groceries.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:05:57 PM by Rural »

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 10:55:43 PM »
I'm an Amazon junkie. I don't even have prime but I've spent &gt;$2k this year (avg is 1.5k for prime, 300 for non-prime).

I'd guess 20-40% of my spending is useless junk I could live without.
I need to just quit already.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 09:07:25 AM »

Well, it was the only place I found a thermostat to repair my refrigerator instead of buying a new one.

Textbooks, oh, yes. So much cheaper.

Food. I could drive 45 miles each way to the nearest place to buy a pound of yeast for making bread, or I could get it brought to me. Or I could buy it at more than 10x the price in tiny envelopes at the grocery store.

Car parts for less than autozone. Cat medicine for 30% less than the vet charges. Two $35 smart phones when we finally decided to take the plunge and get rid of the flip phones (this summer). Replacement laptop battery.

All that's just within the last several months.

Oh, and all Christmas shopping. I do not enter stores in December except for groceries.

Rural, I was just speaking about my own purchasing needs, I do understand that for other folks, things may be different. We dont celebrate Xmas here, so no Xmas shopping, I've never owned a laptop, and the rare ,medicine I need to buy my dog, I usually pick up at our local (human) pharmacy where the prices are much cheaper than the vet (or for flea/tick meds, wait til I get a big fat coupon in the mail and head over to my local pet shop. My grocery stores are all walking distance from my house and there are 7 major chains and 1 farmers market all walking distance. I never buy books as I always loan from the library for free. Sure, I get it, there will likely be that odd, unusual gadget I may need down the road that is only available on the internet or available much cheaper, but my spending is very frugally limited to basic necessities that I can procure locally at great prices, so no Amazon for me at this time. Those pears and pomegranates I pulled off the tree this morning did not require any "free shipping."

YMMV

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
Of course I use Amazon, and I'm a Prime member.  Just last week I walked into Best Buy to get a USB extension cord.  I looked for about 5-10 minutes before asking an associate to direct me to its location.  Then I looked at the price.  $25 for a 6 ft cord? I did a double take.  Went straight on to Amazon and bought the same cord for $5. Never going to Best Buy again, absolutely no need to.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
Of course I use Amazon, and I'm a Prime member.  Just last week I walked into Best Buy to get a USB extension cord.  I looked for about 5-10 minutes before asking an associate to direct me to its location.  Then I looked at the price.  $25 for a 6 ft cord? I did a double take.  Went straight on to Amazon and bought the same cord for $5. Never going to Best Buy again, absolutely no need to.

Interesting, my local Best Buy will beat all competitor prices. Not a huge fan of BB, but when I pulled up the same electronics cord on my phone to show the cashier the much lower price on the internet, I was instantly given that lower price. Able to purchase immediately in my neighborhood at rock bottom prices. Is this not a national policy of BB?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 11:05:45 AM »
Best Buy actually had the best price on a TV I bought earlier this year (42" 1080p Sharp with built in Roku for $229).  I made the mistake of also looking for an HDMI cable and power strip "while I was there."  I don't remember how much they were, but a similar level of stupid.  Left with just the TV and bought the cords on Amazon for cheap.

I ran into Target (or similar, but I'm pretty sure it was Target) once to buy some emergency ethernet cables and a switch for my girlfriend (was somewhere for work with two laptops and shitty wifi).  The stupid switch was something like $35 and the ethernet cables were like $10 each.  Should have been a $15 switch and maybe $5 each for the cables, and would have been if Amazon were an option.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »
I pay for Prime and use Amazon for most of my shopping.

Where we live Amazon beats or matches Walmart and  our smaller town has no target without a 1 hour drive. 

Besides the awesome tracking of purchases, Amazon offers a 5% cash back card through Chase and when Amazon matches or beats the price of something an extra 5% back takes the cake for me.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2017, 06:12:33 PM »
I use Amazon and I pay for prime.

I hardly even check prices, as un-MMM as that is. I simply don't buy that many items, so I really would rather just keep my time and have it delivered.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2017, 09:01:08 AM »
I think a more apt question would be "does anyone not shop online?" If you shop online, you've shopped at Amazon. What would be the reason not to? Miss out on the largest selection of items at usually the cheapest prices?

Between Target's free delivery for Red card holders and Amazon Prime - and a combination of other delivery services -
 there's literally no reason to go outside. Eliminating or greatly reducing the use of your car easily pays for the cost of these delivery services. The only downside right now is very few places offer economical same day delivery for items other than groceries. That's changing and will change more and more though. I'd bet within 20 years there will be a drastic change in cities, total number of retailers, and total number of B&M locations.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2017, 12:47:17 PM »
I think a more apt question would be "does anyone not shop online?" If you shop online, you've shopped at Amazon. What would be the reason not to? Miss out on the largest selection of items at usually the cheapest prices?

Between Target's free delivery for Red card holders and Amazon Prime - and a combination of other delivery services -
 there's literally no reason to go outside. Eliminating or greatly reducing the use of your car easily pays for the cost of these delivery services. The only downside right now is very few places offer economical same day delivery for items other than groceries. That's changing and will change more and more though. I'd bet within 20 years there will be a drastic change in cities, total number of retailers, and total number of B&M locations.
\

Phoenix has Prime Now -- free 2 hour shipping on select items. It's pretty crazy.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
I hardly even check prices, as un-MMM as that is. I simply don't buy that many items, so I really would rather just keep my time and have it delivered.

I noticed that Amazon would jack with the subscribe & save prices. Pet food prices would be reasonable for a few months and then it would jump by 50%. Sometimes it would be more subtle and would increase by a few % each month until it was way more than I'd pay at the local pet Big Box store. I no longer use subscribe & save for that reason.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 02:27:07 PM »

I noticed that Amazon would jack with the subscribe & save prices. Pet food prices would be reasonable for a few months and then it would jump by 50%. Sometimes it would be more subtle and would increase by a few % each month until it was way more than I'd pay at the local pet Big Box store. I no longer use subscribe & save for that reason.
That's why I use CamelCamelCamel for things I buy with regularity, and stock up when the alerts come in.  Sometimes it's very dramatic savings.

Full-Life

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2017, 02:27:13 AM »
I was doing my weekly Mint check-in and came across four Amazon transactions from this week. I don't remember buying anything, neither does my husband. We had to go online and see what the items were (no fishy business, everything was legit, we just got Amazon Amnesia and forgot). It's kind of like how you go to Target, come out $100 lighter and can't remember what you bought. Thinking back on things we've purchased from Amazon, most could be purchased locally for not exorbitantly more money (running shoes, irrigation timer) but occasionally there's an odd thing that comes up (children's face mask for wildfire smoke). In an effort to keep better track of our spending, I'm considering disabling the Amazon account

What I'm doing is,  in the moment I'm  spending money either  online or in cash I make a note with the amount and the purpose in my smartphone. 1 time per week I'm checking my account and synchronizing my notes and putting the amount in an excel sheet. This sounds after more effort than it actually is. With the notes of spending I immediately can match the expense and transfer them in my excel sheet. After 5 minutes per week I'm done.

3 fascinating things happened after I started his:
1. I'm spending much less and only to stuff that I really need. It's this simple process of directly asking myself, do I really need it that prevents me from spending money to things that I don't really need
2. I have a higher motivation to save money. The urge of saving money is now higher than to spend. The excel sheet is like a computer game with a high score for me. Every time I set a new record with less spending and more earning I get a good feeling.
3. I value little purchases more. E.g. I bought 4 drinking glasses of water for 15,-€. There quality related to the price is amazing and I love to use them every day. Before tracking my expenses there were just another set of drinking glasses that were taken for granted.

I know amazon like any other thing can be addicting for spending  money. Tracking my expenses immediately  prevents me of uncontrolled spending while simultaneously benefiting from the low prices and convinience of online shopping

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2017, 06:44:48 PM »
Amazon is really useful when you know exactly what you want but don't know exactly where you can get it. Like I needed a new filter for my 5 year old vacuum cleaner. Know what I want, know the model number but have no interest in driving all over town to see who might have this item. Amazon! 

Daily use stuff like toiletries and food seems to never be cheaper, I don't buy these types of things online.

I do find it tempting to buy ALL THE THINGS but like so other posters said I use the 'wish list' feature. I feel free to put anything I get a "ooooh shiny want" feeling about on the list. Then when my family asks what they can get me for the holidays (which they do )  I can look back at the list. Usually about 1/2 of it I no longer want and the other half I tell the family about as suggestions for the holidays.