Author Topic: Does Anyone NEVER Go Out To Eat?  (Read 52989 times)

mamagoose

• Bristles
Does Anyone NEVER Go Out To Eat?
« on: February 01, 2016, 01:56:49 PM »
Curious among the readers here if anyone doesn't go out to eat as a matter of course. Not for a "no spend January" type challenge, but just your lifestyle. There was an episode of CSI where a male lab tech asked a female lab tech out on a dinner date and she said no, because she doesn't eat any food that others prepare (germs) - which I can understand. Lately I've been thinking about restaurants through the viewpoint of large-scale-microwaves, and the appeal is dwindling, but every time that Olive Garden commercial comes on it brings back soooo many good memories of dinners there :) I also remember MMM saying his family might go out to eat more often except his kid gets antsy sitting in a restaurant, which we can relate to with our toddler. So does anyone here only eat at home (or maybe friends/family homes too)? I would love to hear your common sense reasoning against restaurants (specifically looking for non-financial motives here).

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Does Anyone NEVER Go Out To Eat?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »
I went through a phase where we only went out to eat a few times a year, tops.  That was basically because it really is no fun going out to eat with young children.  After trying to manage a baby and a toddler while bolting down a meal that we already felt bad about paying too much for, we just stopped going out and did the occasional take out instead.  Now that the kids are older we still only go out to eat maybe once a month, mostly because of cost.  Even at one of the cheaper places around here it ends up being $60 minimum. 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:05:49 PM »
We still go out around once a month or so, usually when meeting friends or family out of town or a date for my wife and I to get away from the house and kids for a while.  The most significant non-financial reason we have not to is the fact that our cooking has gotten to the point where it is better than most restaurants. For example, last night, I cooked an herb crusted, homegrown leg of mutton over homemade cherry wood charcoal. Oh yeah, I grew the herbs and the cherry wood as well.  Life IS good!   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:11:13 PM by So Close »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 02:11:32 PM »
I go out once a week or so with my SO. We use a Groupon or go to a happy hour 99% of the time.

It's an expense that is very much worth it to us!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »
I go to a food truck for lunch once a week. Other than that I go to regular restaurants once or twice a year. My reasons are that I'm over restaurants. I used to go a lot and they have to have the best of something for me to be interested.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 02:25:07 PM »
I go out to eat maybe once every few months, and that is simply because there are a bunch of people grabbing a beer around dinner time and we get hungry. I don't feel guilty, because it is so rare and always an enjoyable experience with people I care about. It's worth the 12$ burger to me.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »
If my friends/family never wanted to go out to eat, then i probably only would 1-2 times per month. In January, I went out to eat twice and that was to meetup with other Mustachians from the forum. My sister, on the other hands, loves to go out to eat. But I think she likes it more for the social aspect rather than the food. I try to avoid it because I always view it as a 'treat' for myself....which inevitably leads to me ordering anything i want off the menu plus several drinks...and $40+ later, what have i really spent money on?

I remember reading a forum post about finding out what your true desire is to go out to eat. Is it the food? the atmosphere? the social aspect? If the underlying feeling can be replicated without spending money at a restaurant, then try doing that.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
On average we go out once a week. About two suppers are the let's take advantage of the deal - like $6 dollar burger and happy hour drinks. The other two are pricier dinners at restaurants we enjoy.
We don't do FF as such, since I'm a good cook and I don't really appreciate McD style eating and where we live there are plenty of pubs with tasty dishes and reasonable prices.
Take out is for days when we are busy with other things and we never tire of our favorite local pizza place.

Germs - well, you just never know and even the food you purchase and prepare can be contaminated.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 02:45:24 PM »
We still go out around once a month or so, usually when meeting friends or family out of town or a date for my wife and I to get away from the house and kids for a while.  The most significant non-financial reason we have not to is the fact that our cooking has gotten to the point where it is better than most restaurants.
A lot of this rings true for us as well.  We absolutely love food, and realize that we can make things as good or better than most mid-priced restaurants.  We enjoy being at home where we can say/eat/wear whatever we like, and take as much or as little time as necessary.  We also are able to make our dishes 'healthier' than what typical restaurant fare is, and we know how the food was handled and where it came from.  Finally, we simply enjoy cooking; while we enjoy our occasional trips to restaurants a part of me always feels like I would have rather cooked the food myself.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 02:46:12 PM »
I used to travel 60% and ate 3 meals a day out (reimbursed). As a result, I developed a hatred of restaurants. I went 3 years without eating out except for work related. Since then, I don't travel for work, and don't hate them all the time. Though I'm still picky and usually prefer to stay in.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 03:09:11 PM »
I used to travel 60% and ate 3 meals a day out (reimbursed). As a result, I developed a hatred of restaurants.

+1!!! Oh my god, eating out when traveling for work was the worst. It was basically: hotel food, fast food, or corporate dinners at higher-end restaurants. After 2-3 days of that you just feel like dying. It gets real old, real fast. No clue how people eat out every single day.

I do like restaurants as a treat 1-2x a week or for special occasions.

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 03:58:57 PM »
A friend travels three to four days a week.  He tires of eating out and would just as well eat at home.  His wife has been at home all week and wants to go out for dinner when he gets back in town.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 04:19:20 PM »
Discovering that wheat/gluten was the root of my Fibro symptoms has made the temptation of going out to eat a lot less appealing :) We have found a couple of "safe" restaurants to suggest when Hubby's family wants to treat.

Other than that, we really only eat out when we are on vacation or away from home, and even then we are looking for alternatives. I am stupidly excited that on our annual "ocean fix" this year we will be able to try crabbing. Back of the napkin math says a 20.00 license for three days, with the possibility of getting 12 crabs a day is a phenomenal deal compared to one crab entree in a restaurant :D

Also, I think it is a matter of cost and cost can't really be discounted. We are pretty good cooks and you can splurge on a whole lot of ingredients for the price of a nice meal out. Or heck, invite people over for a nice meal AND buy a board game and you'll still come out ahead. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get someone else to clean up for me ;)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 04:52:48 PM »
I just got back from a weekend with my grandfather. He eats out all meals. I felt like crap after 3 days of it.

We eat out once a month typically. I would eat out weekly if money was no object, and my waistline was no object.

My two motivations are yummy food I can't replicate at home and not wanting to cook and clean up for four people.

TrMama

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
Maybe once a month. The main thing that keeps us home is that my youngest child has been diagnosed with a whack of food allergies. There's virtually nothing she can eat and even when we find something I still worry it's been somehow contaminated with unsafe foods in the kitchen.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 05:13:38 PM »
We only do when traveling or when on a double date with friends. Each occurs about every other month.

Reasons are cost, habit, dont really like the food and kids just behave better at home.

(And way more in the past 3 weeks after I broke my wrist)

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 05:13:46 PM »
We're pretty close I would say past 4 or so years.  I could probably count the number of times we sat in a restaurant with one hand over last 4 yrs.  Its not we hate eating out.  We have 2 young kids, one gets anxious around unfamilar areas, and the other is pretty much HIGHLY alergic to many many things.  We've gone to emergency room many times.  She's on a very rigid diet.

Kidless, we probably ate out 2x per week.  We still order in about 1-2x per week... Usually because its paid for by either of our companies :)

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 05:27:42 PM »
We go out to eat on a date night once a month and it's always during happy hour or with a gift card. It's wayyy to expensive to eat out around here.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 05:39:29 PM »
Our biggest weakness with spending is eating out. Its the one thing we enjoy(kind of entertainment) Its just the 2 of us and once we have kids we plan to not eat out anymore or maybe just once a month. Certainly until there at an age where they can behave properly. We get gift cards a lot due to our credit card rewards so we use that to fund our eating habit - plus take advantage of happy hour deals, coupons and specials. We also have NEVER gotten anything but water when out so that saves a lot! So with all those things, we actually do not spend very much on eating out.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
We used to go out once a week for breakfast, but I'm doing a Whole30 right now and, like others, I cook pretty well.  When I was a kid going out to eat, even if it was McDonald's, was a special treat.  I'd like to see if we could go without eating out until our anniversary (August 15) and make eating out a special occasion again.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »
Maybe once a month I'll take my kids out to dinner. I'll take them out for their birthday for dinner, last day of school, etc. and then occasionally because I just want to get out with them. In fact, meal plan for Saturday is to go out to eat.

My boyfriend and I usually eat out twice a month - nothing fancy, just Chinese food or something.I rarely buy fast food, and I maybe purchase a salad or something at work every 3 or 4 months for lunch.

ETA: My boyfriend who has a very strange and isolated childhood, did not eat in a restaurant until he was 19 and in college. Some parents of another kid in the dorm took a bunch of people out. He had no idea what to do. They went to Cheesecake Factory and he thought he was supposed to eat everything and drink everything that they brought him. They kept refilling his iced tea and he ended up getting sick in the parking lot in front of everyone.

Probably a good idea to socialize your children to the wider world at least a little bit before you send them off to college on their own...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:01:58 PM by MsPeacock »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 05:57:53 PM »
Used to go out multiple times per week.

Now we go out once per month, and skip some months. We're much healthier, happier, richer, and better cooks because of it.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 06:04:50 PM »
We tried going out to eat a few days ago and it was a disaster.  The service was poor, the food portions were tiny and void of the protein the menu promised, and the food we did get wasn't all that great.

By the end of it, we had spent a weeks worth of groceries on one meal (~$50 with tip and all), and it wasn't worth it.  We could have stayed home, avoided driving the vehicle, and enjoyed each others company a lot more in a more comfortable setting.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 06:14:14 PM »
I used to travel 60% and ate 3 meals a day out (reimbursed). As a result, I developed a hatred of restaurants.

+1!!! Oh my god, eating out when traveling for work was the worst. It was basically: hotel food, fast food, or corporate dinners at higher-end restaurants. After 2-3 days of that you just feel like dying. It gets real old, real fast. No clue how people eat out every single day.

I do like restaurants as a treat 1-2x a week or for special occasions.

Ha ha my husband has traveled 3 x in the last 3 months, for almost a week at a time.

The middle time, he was in some godforsaken place in the desert.  He came back and said "I didn't eat a single vegetable, unless you count iceberg lettuce on a burger".  Part of that was timing, part location, and part one of his coworkers doesn't eat vegetables (the strong willed old guy).

This last trip was So Cal, so I asked him "have any vegetables?"  Yes, the younger guy (20s) asserted himself this time, and they ate at healthier places.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 06:23:32 PM »
We tend to go out 5-6 times a year if friends or family want to eat out.  It's not even a frugality thing with us . . . my wife and I are pretty good cooks.  It's rare that we go out and are impressed by the food.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 07:01:25 PM »
I would love to hear your common sense reasoning against restaurants (specifically looking for non-financial motives here).

I got a pizza from Pizza Hut this weekend. It was my first fast food in four months. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

Lately I avoid restaurant food because of money and cleanliness.

One of the last times I got food from Subway was one night at 2:00 AM. I had just got off a 12 hour shift. They were cleaning the food prep area (vigorously sweeping the floor) and making food at the same time. A big cleanliness no no, as no doubt some of the raised floor dirt ended up on my sub.

Add the fact that most people (including restaurant workers) don't properly wash their hands after using the restroom, I am finding it easier to resist the lure of food prepared by low wage workers.

lpb0306

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 07:13:52 PM »
Food is one of our favorite things, so we go out once a week usually for dinner and once for a lunch together. It's almost always (80-90% of the time) Asian food that just doesn't taste as good from home. The rest of the time it's typically pizza, tacos, or burgers. We don't go out for pasta (can make at home much cheaper) or other easily made at home foods. But we love our sushi and Thai!

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 07:49:27 PM »
It's almost always (80-90% of the time) Asian food that just doesn't taste as good from home.

My great aunt was from Thailand and I still love her recipes.  If you know someone that can teach you, the fresh Asian is much better than the stuff from the restaurants. =)

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »
If it were entirely up to me, we'd never go out to eat.  It's inconvenient (we are rural, you have to drive everywhere), it's way too salty for me, you have to wait, it's expensive, and it's just not as good as if we cooked it ourselves.  And then you need to drive home again!

My mom went to culinary school, the bar is set pretty high in our family.  Food is a family activity - not just eating it, I mean making it.  Even when we went on an extended family vacation together (my sister and family, my family, our parents, BIL's parents), we brought along things like our waffle iron so we could make brunch for all the little cousins, and mom cooked big dinner feasts for all.  After the table was cleared, the grandmas played cards with the kids, over and over.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »
... every time that Olive Garden commercial comes on it brings back soooo many good memories of dinners there ...

Hopefully I don't greatly offend anyone, but have tried eating at Olive Garden recently? I think that might cure you of any desire to go out to eat there at any rate.

We usually go out at least once a month, sometimes not at all, and sometimes a few times, so call it an average of over 1 but less than 2. That would be not counting vacation or other travel though which can be every night for a few weeks. The times we go less are when we have other "big meals" like dinner with friends at our house or theirs.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 09:02:59 PM »
Curious among the readers here if anyone doesn't go out to eat as a matter of course. Not for a "no spend January" type challenge, but just your lifestyle. .... So does anyone here only eat at home (or maybe friends/family homes too)? I would love to hear your common sense reasoning against restaurants (specifically looking for non-financial motives here).

DW and I live the Keto lifestyle. There was a point where we finally got good enough at making foods we love, that we prefer having what we can make at home. Examples include Keto pizza, omelets, steaks, fresh green vegetables (with plenty of butter) and just about anything you can do on a grill.

We've reached the point that we don't even want to have to ask a waitperson for extra butter - we'd rather be able to just have it and not involve anyone outside our home in the decision.

Soon (after finishing enough projects), I've got a smoker that I'll put together and start using. It's my objective to finally put the restaurants out of business in our lives with that smoker....

Vagabond76

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 09:24:34 PM »
I give up something every year for an entire year. Once it was coffee, another year it was alcohol, another year it was fried food. This year, I have up all restaurant food.  In January, I accompanied a couple of coworkers to Chik-fil-a. They had chicken sandwiches and I had an overpriced ice tea while enjoying some good conversation. For my daughter's birthday, we went to a hibachi grill. It was much more entertaining when I wasn't hungry and waiting for my food.

lpb0306

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 01:33:51 AM »
It's almost always (80-90% of the time) Asian food that just doesn't taste as good from home.

My great aunt was from Thailand and I still love her recipes.  If you know someone that can teach you, the fresh Asian is much better than the stuff from the restaurants. =)

We go to this one specific place where the only cook is a Thai grandma. We trust her cooking! I tried making Thai basil fried rice and it was good. But hers is better! And I doubt I could recreate the duck curry my husband gets haha

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 02:08:49 AM »

We go to this one specific place where the only cook is a Thai grandma. We trust her cooking! I tried making Thai basil fried rice and it was good. But hers is better! And I doubt I could recreate the duck curry my husband gets haha

That sounds amazingly yummy!!!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 02:36:18 AM »
I don't think my parents have eaten out (as in when someone was paid to cook a meal) since they were iin their late twenties (i.e 1970s), if you exclude things like family weddings & funerals. They would have things like tea/coffee or ice cream while out for the day though.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 03:39:44 AM »
I love eating out if it's the good stuff. (Note: good stuff does not have to be pricey, though sometimes it can be.) So I'm definitely not one of the mythical ones who never go out to eat. But I ate out quite infrequently last year, as I live in a remote area, and most of the times I ate out were due to MMM meetups! This was before I got a job at a restaurant, and now I get free food whenever I have a shift so I suppose I'm sort of eating out all the time these days.

A huge thing about Asian cooking is that charred wok flavour, but it is difficult/impossible to replicate at home unless you have the right kitchen setup. This post explains it better than I can.

Then there are certain dishes that take a lot of time and effort, and they can sometimes be a family affair, everyone chips in so it's less work. I have seen my parents make certain things and it can take hours and hours, I am happy to join in but I wouldn't do it all by myself...

Having said that, there are family recipes that are simple enough, I learn them from my parents and it is very satisfying to make them at home.

So yeah, I enjoy cooking but eating out is also great! :)

kvaruni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 04:06:35 AM »
We tend to go out 5-6 times a year if friends or family want to eat out.  It's not even a frugality thing with us . . . my wife and I are pretty good cooks.  It's rare that we go out and are impressed by the food.

Exactly our sentiment.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 04:56:03 AM »
Pretty much what everyone else is saying is where I always end up: I decided I would eat a Texas Roadhouse sandwich last night with everyone at work.  Big mistake.  Wasted $10 on a nearly inedible BBQ sandwich.

Hopefully soon I will be in the habit of remembering how terrible the food is when we go out and stop wasting valuable employees on it!!!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 05:11:45 AM »
I do not eat out or do takeout unless it's some kind of work related thing that I have to go to, or on a very rate occasion I have lunch with my girlfriends (this is maybe a couple of times a year and for me the primary reason is to see them, not food related).  For me, it's a mix of financial reasons and the fact that I like to cook and feel much more comfortable eating what I make.  Unless it's some kind of a high end place with really fancy food, I much prefer my own cooking :-)

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 05:44:52 AM »
I'm surprised at all the people who don't eat out much. I mean I wouldn't be surprised considering the nature of this site, but I've scoured random forums and it seems most people just don't eat out that much. Then again, there are different levels of eating out. There's dollar menus, takeout, grocery store "takeout", sit down, etc. Freezer bought crap is basically eating out to me (just as unhealthy).

I can definitely understand families not eating out. That would be a nightmare. Plus the cost definitely gets out-of-hand quickly at that point.

I'm kind of in-between. I prefer eating at home most meals but I'd say I eat out 3-4 meals a week, mostly because I despise cleanup and don't like batch cooking. And when I say eating out, I'm talking under $7 per meal, which doubles as a form of entertainment since I do nothing else. I also try to go places that use fresh ingredients. I don't drink, smoke, buy clothes, buy new electronics anymore unless it's a necessity, drink coffee, drive much, etc. So for me it's enjoyable and also very inconsequential considering the habits of most.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:53:03 AM by Ricky »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 07:30:30 AM »
The eating out budget is equal to the grocery budget (which is fairly high). Downtown Chicago just has too many restaurants that are an easy stroll away, and almost everyone delivers--and when it's raining and I just got home after a 90 minute commute, nothing sounds better than delivery pad woon sen. (Excuses, excuses, I know.)

We're carless and most of our entertainment is free, so food is our biggest budgetary vice. We eat at sit-down restaurants probably twice per month (with the requirement that it has to be something I can't cook at home--otherwise why pay a premium?). We order delivery  a couple times per month.

We are trying to cut back. We know we've been depending on "fast casual" restaurants way too much because it's a quick bite and fairly healthy. We save on sit-down restaurants by using Groupons or going during brunch/lunch instead of dinner. We used to order a ton of pizza, but I've started making it at home. I was pretty horrified the first time I did it and realized the whole pizza cost about $3--why was I paying $15+ for delivery (and we're talking crappy Domino's pizza--not delicious Chicago deep dish)?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:32:27 AM by Inaya »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
NOWHERE as much as we use to. With 4 kids in soccer and alot of travel its hard not to BUT we have cut it back 90% I bet.  Hit me one day when i was at Noodles&Co. I was paying close to 9$ for a bowl of pasta would cost me 99cents at the most at home. Have not been back there since. Usually if we do go out now though there has to be a deal involved. We eat home now more than ever.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 09:09:15 AM »
I don't really see why "never going out to eat" would be something to strive for. I cook occasionally. I might cook more if I didn't work all day, but I don't particularly want to waste all my free time on cooking.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 09:15:48 AM »
I used to travel 60% and ate 3 meals a day out (reimbursed). As a result, I developed a hatred of restaurants. I went 3 years without eating out except for work related. Since then, I don't travel for work, and don't hate them all the time. Though I'm still picky and usually prefer to stay in.

I can relate to this. Everytime I go on vacation or on a work trip, I love it for the first few days but then after the third day, I start craving simpler food.  Depending on where you are, it can be difficult to eat healthy. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 09:45:07 AM »
I don't really see why "never going out to eat" would be something to strive for. I cook occasionally. I might cook more if I didn't work all day, but I don't particularly want to waste all my free time on cooking.

We spend about 2-3 hours a week cooking.  Three large batch meals on Saturday/Sunday.

I don't like eating out because of the huge amount of time that you waste . . . deciding where to go, travel time to get there, ordering food, waiting for food, waiting for drinks, waiting for the bill.  It's far more time consuming to eat out.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »
I would say once every 6-8 weeks on average, at least half of those times we did not pay. People at work occasionally give us gift cards or work pays for a meal. 90% of our eating out out of pocket happens on vacations when it can't be avoided.

There are a lot of reasons for it:

*We are over fast food joints and avoid them. For long day trips, we pack our own food or will eat in supermarket delis.
*We are often disappointed with food and/or experience at most sit-down restaurants.
*At sit-down restaurants, it costs around $60-$80 a meal just for three people. When the food is mediocre at best and you know how much in groceries that money could have bought, ugh...
*We are pretty choosy now about where we eat out on our own dime. Has to be something interesting, local, or hard for us to recreate at home in some way.
*We just don't enjoy eating out as a form of entertainment. It is more relaxing for us to sit at home on a Friday night watching good TV shows, with a good home cooked meal, and a good craft beer. Don't have to wait in line, don't have to deal with bad service or cold/mediocre food, don't have to listen to other obnoxious adults or children, don't have to feel like I was robbed for the 'pleasure'. I just don't see what the big deal is about eating out personally.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
I only ever eat out if friends come to town to visit or if I'm travelling.  Luckily, there aren't very many good restaurants where I live.  Since I began Mustachianism and preparing 98% of my own meals, I now also find the vast majority of North American restaurant food to be exessively salty, overly sweetened, and/or overly fatty/greasy.  I look at most dishes and they seem gross and unappetizing.  I guess that's how they keep people coming back though?  Get 'em hooked on those addictive, unhealthy things?

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2016, 10:06:53 AM »
I'm curious where all of you live who never eat at restaurants because the quality is poor.  Is it a small town?   I'm in Houston, and while my girlfriend and I are both very good cooks, there are simply some things restaurants can do better or more efficiently than we can.  Vietnamese pho, Chinese Dim Sum, and a few Indian foods come to mind.  We eat somewhere like that probably twice a month, it's usually ~$15/person.

That being said, in my small hometown the restaurants are all pretty much below what I could make myself.  Maybe that's where you guys are coming from?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2016, 10:21:48 AM »

We spend about 2-3 hours a week cooking.  Three large batch meals on Saturday/Sunday.

I don't like eating out because of the huge amount of time that you waste . . . deciding where to go, travel time to get there, ordering food, waiting for food, waiting for drinks, waiting for the bill.  It's far more time consuming to eat out.

A lot of the places that I eat at are either on the way home from work or walking distance from home. I don't experience major long time-suck of eating out vs cooking at home where I would have to wait to pre-heat the oven, wait for stuff to cook, clean up pots and pans, etc whereas going out, I simply eat. Sometimes I have to wait for the food to cook, but at many places (like Chinese or Mexican), it's already been cooked or does not take long because their grills have already been pre-heated up. I probably spend about $5/meal either way. When I eat at home, I have the costs of extra electricity for the stove or oven, water and electric for the dishwasher, dishwashing soap...I'm guessing it's pretty close to the same for me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2016, 11:29:37 AM »
You are wildly inefficient in the kitchen if you think that someone can pay for servers, chefs, dishwashers, food, electricity, rent, heat for a building, electronics to take your bill, and still provide you with food for what it costs to make at home.

If you do large batches of food on the weekend, the cleanup is pretty minimal.  You just scoop some food out of a container in the fridge on to a dish during the week, so you've only got one dish and a fork to clean up each night . . . no pots and pans.  You just need to microwave the food for a couple minutes to heat it, so there is no waiting for an oven to preheat.