Author Topic: Does Anyone NEVER Go Out To Eat?  (Read 52991 times)

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
Re: Does Anyone NEVER Go Out To Eat?
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2016, 08:57:10 PM »
I've had great stir fry

Did it have a nice charred-but-not-burnt smoky flavour?

I've had great stir fry and have marvelous taste buds...I just don't buy the argument. And most of the folks I know who regularly eat or prepare Chinese food don't either. Pretty much the only people I've seen who support it are online hobbyists who talk themselves into purchasing very expensive ranges that can only be justified by chanting 'wok hei' over and over again.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2016, 09:04:17 PM »
You didn't answer my question. Anyway, I don't know anyone who buys expensive ranges to cook stir-fries at home, and this is moving away from the "eating out" discussion. Upgrading a kitchen is a bit different to paying a few dollars to eat out occasionally.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2016, 09:04:25 PM »
We have cut out the cheap restaurant meals we used to do every other week when our kids were smaller and I was more tired at the end of the day.
I am taking I hop and the like. They did add up.

Now we just do panda express every few weeks if we get caught out on a long day. We drop 16 to 20 for 4 of us by sharing 2 meals between 4 and even that seems a lot when we think how much food that buys. So we are trying to cut that extra $40 a month out. But this is because we are house poor.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2016, 09:11:09 PM »
You didn't answer my question.

I found it irrelevant because I don't consider a "charred-but-not-burnt smoky flavour" to be the epitome of Asian cooking, or even particularly desirable. It's one kind of cooking, yes, but it's certainly not what everyone is striving for. That's part of the pseudo-mysticism again; making the assumption that something very specific is the key piece that everything else is lacking, regardless of whether folks are interested in that thing or not.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »

I found it irrelevant because I don't consider a "charred-but-not-burnt smoky flavour" to be the epitome of Asian cooking, or even particularly desirable. It's one kind of cooking, yes, but it's certainly not what everyone is striving for. That's part of the pseudo-mysticism again; making the assumption that something very specific is the key piece that everything else is lacking, regardless of whether folks are interested in that thing or not.

So, you're admitting that there is such a thing, just that you're not into it. Therefore, it's not really pseudo-mysticism, but just something that you don't care about. There's a difference. In other words: it's an important factor to some people, and it isn't for others. Case closed, I guess.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2016, 09:02:31 AM »
There are two reasons our restaurant patronage has decreased significantly: Taking our 18 month old to a restaurant is not a pleasant experience and we have learned to cook well enough that we can cook most anything as good or better at home for a fraction of the cost of a restaurant.  And when the alternative to taking the child to the restaurant is paying a babysitter for the privilege of overpaying for a mediocre meal, restaurants just don't seem all that attractive.

The reasons we still go to restaurants occasionally are for social reasons (i.e. meeting up with friends or for our date night), to get something we cannot do economically at home (i.e. quality sushi or cooked-for-24-hours barbecue), or because we've had a busy week and the restaurant is the easy thing to do.  When we break down from laziness, we usually do cheap takeout or fast food because we feel guilty about making a stupid financial decision out of laziness and we are just trying to limit the damage. 

TheBeardedIrishman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2016, 09:08:55 AM »
My parents  got so tired of us never going out to eat they bought us 200 worth of gift cards for Xmas so they could finally go out with us lol we were  laughing pretty  hard bc  we realized  we are truly  dedicated  to being cheap asses 

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2016, 09:28:28 AM »
I used to travel 60% and ate 3 meals a day out (reimbursed). As a result, I developed a hatred of restaurants. I went 3 years without eating out except for work related. Since then, I don't travel for work, and don't hate them all the time. Though I'm still picky and usually prefer to stay in.

I had the same situation when I was an airline pilot.   I generally carried a huge cooler around full of healthy and semi-healthy food.    I would still eat a meal or two out, but I felt much better eating my own stuff and I was able to pocket the per-diem as income.

Kaplin261

• Bristles
    • Michael Foutz
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2016, 11:35:41 AM »
Is cooking at home really cheaper if you live in a urban area with restaurants within walking distance?

When I see someone quote the cost to prepare a meal at home, no one factors in the cost of the kitchen. If I buy a home chances are it will have a kitchen and that kitchen was probably the most expensive room in the house, so with a $250k house I would expect $50k to be used for kitchen: materials for the sqft, plumbing,electrical,hvac,counter tops,cabinets and appliances. So did that meal you cooked at home really cost $5 after you add on the hidden cost of owning a kitchen? Kitchens are also the most expensive rooms to remodel in your home and use the most energy.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2016, 11:44:18 AM »
Is cooking at home really cheaper if you live in a urban area with restaurants within walking distance?

When I see someone quote the cost to prepare a meal at home, no one factors in the cost of the kitchen. If I buy a home chances are it will have a kitchen and that kitchen was probably the most expensive room in the house, so with a $250k house I would expect $50k to be used for kitchen: materials for the sqft, plumbing,electrical,hvac,counter tops,cabinets and appliances. So did that meal you cooked at home really cost $5 after you add on the hidden cost of owning a kitchen? Kitchens are also the most expensive rooms to remodel in your home and use the most energy.

Do you live somewhere without a kitchen? I think the assumption is most people have a kitchen in their residence.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2016, 11:49:14 AM »

I guess if you can buy an equivalent house for $50k less without a kitchen, sure you could add that price in and see.  You'll also have to take into account whether you'll be able to sell it without a kitchen someday. 

But for poops and giggles, assuming $10 per meal eating out for a year, 3 meals a day, that's $10,950 per person.  Assume you can make meals at home for $4 per person, that's $4380 per meal.  You save $6750 per year per person by cooking at home.  Granted that's not taking into account energy costs (both running a stove or driving your car), time (cooking or driving), and can be changed either way depending on the specifics.  Based on this very simple model, for a 2 person household you end up net positive after ~ 4 years.  For a 3 person household it's under 3 years.  For a 4 person household it's less than 2 years to recoup the $50k kitchen.

Midcenturymater

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2016, 12:15:02 PM »
Our kitchen is 60 years old. We don't intend to spend 50 k on it. We have been pondering a $700 dish washer addition since last summer)
Of course eating home is cheaper and healthier.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »

Not really a fair question.  Especially if you are talking about buying a  house - because it will come with a kitchen.  If you rent one, or rent an apartment, it will have a kitchen.

Also, $50k is high for a kitchen.  A basic kitchen can be a lot less.
Our kitchen:
Fridge: $600
Stove: $400
Dishwasher: $500
Hood: $1000
Cabinets: $600 (my husband built them)
Tile: $1000
Sink, etc: $400
That's $4500.  So why don't we round that up to $5000?  We've owned the house for 12 years, that's $400 a year, give or take.

Cost to eat out:
Let's assume that you are willing to eat something that doesn't require cooking for breakfast.
Lunch out: $7
Dinner out $10
Total out $17 a day x 2 = $34 per day x 365 days = $12,410 a year. ~$150,000 in 10 years

Cost to eat in:  Last year we spent $6000 (family of four), so let's just assume it's the two of us only.
$6000 x 12 = $78,000

Cost to eat out: $150,000 in 12 years
Cost to eat in: $78,000 + $5000 = $83,000 in 12 years
Savings of $67,000

Now.  The only area that you might have a point is if you have a short-term type rental.  I have a coworker who lives 6 hours from here.  She drives down on Monday and drives home on Friday.  She rents a room in a house, with NO kitchen privileges.  She saves quite a bit of money over renting a more traditional place, but I honestly don't know how much.  That will be the determining factor, no? 

It's not what you save, it's what you spend.  If you live in a van and eat out, and the savings on rent is more than the extra spent on eating out, then fine.  But factoring the cost of the kitchen is not particularly valid, unless you are living in such a place.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2016, 03:06:56 PM »

So, you're admitting

Nah. I said the idea that this is the only kind of authentic Asian cooking is bogus.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2016, 03:37:48 PM »
Even if you didn't have a traditional kitchen, you could still make pretty decent meals if you bought an all-in-one cooker like an Instant Pot. For a little more cash you can branch out with an electric kettle or electric skillet. These 3 items pretty much give you full kitchen functionality for less than $500.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2016, 04:06:14 PM »
I'll chime in with another "we don't go out to eat as a matter of course". Mainly because it's insanely expensive. But then it's also because we can almost always do the same quality food at home for less time, money, and stress. This usually also applies to fast food-- if I have the ingredients, it is almost always faster, better, and cheaper to cook at home than to load everyone in the car, drive 5-6 minutes, look at the menu, get everyone's order organized, give the order to the cashier, pay, wait for the food, then drive 5-6 minutes home, unload everyone from the car, then eat.

We haven't been to a sit-down restaurant in ages, and when we do go out to eat, it has been at the Costco food court.

lpb0306

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2016, 06:23:34 PM »
I think it's obvious home cooking is much cheaper (although if I'm feeding a group of 8 friends, 3 medium pizzas from Dominos is less than $20, while making lasagna or any kind of meat entree would cost more than that for the 8 of us. When I make lasagna it tends to cost me about $20-25. Plus I don't have to spend an hour in the kitchen.)

My reasons for eating out are: a) it's enjoyable...no kids, so it's not a stressful or exhausting event, and b) we can eat something new without spending the money on condiments we may not use again (and I do have fish oil, sesame oil, sweet chili sauce, etc.)

That, and sometimes I'm just too tired to cook new things. But I would like to cook different foods more often. It's fun to cook! But not when you get home at 6:30, change to go to the gym and get back home at 8. After showering, it's 8:15-8:30. We usually just make chicken or shrimp and rice or some kind of pasta.

Kaplin261

• Bristles
    • Michael Foutz
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2016, 03:44:19 AM »

I guess if you can buy an equivalent house for $50k less without a kitchen, sure you could add that price in and see.  You'll also have to take into account whether you'll be able to sell it without a kitchen someday. 

But for poops and giggles, assuming $10 per meal eating out for a year, 3 meals a day, that's $10,950 per person.  Assume you can make meals at home for $4 per person, that's $4380 per meal.  You save $6750 per year per person by cooking at home.  Granted that's not taking into account energy costs (both running a stove or driving your car), time (cooking or driving), and can be changed either way depending on the specifics.  Based on this very simple model, for a 2 person household you end up net positive after ~ 4 years.  For a 3 person household it's under 3 years.  For a 4 person household it's less than 2 years to recoup the $50k kitchen.

Where are you eating that breakfast is $10 and lunch is $10? I don't eat breakfast out but in the rare case I do a bacon,egg and cheese sandwich from the cafeteria are $2.50 and the thing is 700+ calories. A salad at work from the salad bar is less then $5 I pile on seeds and nuts instead of meat, and grocery stores have pre made sandwiches for $5 and subway has $5.50 footlongs. I think your about right for dinner, on average dinner is about $10 but with coupons and being selective on what nights you visit restaurants for specials and how much food you eat(share a entree with your spouse) you could get that cheaper.

If I were going to eat out every day I would only do so for dinner,during the day I would keep eating what I already do fruits,nuts and veggies. These foods are convenient, packed with nutrition,require no refrigeration or preparation. I can shop at whole foods and get those items organic for less $50 a week for two people, another $40 for ingredients for 3-4 dinners,$60 for a couple nights eating out. There are other things I would rather be using my free time doing then spending 2 hours a day cooking and cleaning in my kitchen.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2016, 10:30:41 AM »
Indeed, it's very rare when my breakfast or lunch out costs more than $10 (its often closer to half that, or less), but if you lived somewhere urban and touristy, I could see it.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2016, 10:33:14 AM »
We eat out only on VERY rare occasions (that we can't get out of usually)!! The reason is simple ... my husband is a fantastic cook ... so nothing is ever as good out (or as inexpensive) as he can make :)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2016, 05:23:39 PM »
I give up something every year for an entire year. Once it was coffee, another year it was alcohol, another year it was fried food. This year, I have up all restaurant food. 

That's an interesting habit. Is it always food (or beverage) related? Once the year is up, do you always go back to what you gave up?

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2016, 09:33:18 PM »

I agree with TJ. A home is going to come with a kitchen anyway, regardless of whether you eat out or not. I own a home in an urban area and it's much cheaper for me to eat at home. My grocery bill for me and my DH a month is about $300, which includes alcohol and seltzer water, which we like to splurge on. Besides, when you go out to eat, the price of the restaurant's kitchen and rent is incorporated in the price of their food collectively. On top of that, the dining out in an urban area is very expensive. An average meal just for myself without alcohol is about $15-$20, before tax.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2016, 10:58:07 PM »
I eat out a lot less than I would like to, and tend to eat out more when in another country as part of the experience. There are some things I believe I simply can't replicate at home.

As another Asian living in Australia and missing food back home, I've got to agree with limeandpepper. I would not agree that the only thing needed to cook meals that I miss is the desire to do so. There are just some meals that I can't make to my personal satisfaction due to a lack of:
- equipment: in my case, low-tech equipment like old-fashioned ovens made of stone and charcoal that may not cost very much but do take up space.
- culinary skills: Yes, my skills are limited and some meals I'm thinking of require a lot of experience to either choose the best ingredients for it or to actually cook the dish to the level that I want.
- ingredients: Despite the fact that things ARE getting better, there are simply some ingredients that are not available where I live because of climate, lack of demand, or governmental regulations. Sure, there are substitutes, but they're not as good.
- time: There are some dishes I could cook but are not worth the time (in my opinion) to make, when I could be doing something else that is either more productive or more enjoyable to me.

I think taste is a highly subjective and personal thing, and if you're okay with the food you're cooking, then great! I'm happy that you are able to exactly replicate what you were going for. However I think that calling it "pseudo-mysticism" when others have more exacting requirements for the food they eat is unnecessarily insulting. What I take out of Mustachianism is the importance of prioritising your life in the pursuit of happiness, however that may look like for YOU. If someone says it makes her happy to spend money on eating out, who am I to judge?

Vagabond76

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2016, 10:05:29 PM »
I give up something every year for an entire year. Once it was coffee, another year it was alcohol, another year it was fried food. This year, I have up all restaurant food. 

That's an interesting habit. Is it always food (or beverage) related? Once the year is up, do you always go back to what you gave up?

Yes, it's always been food related. The only one I permanently gave up was coffee.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2016, 07:09:54 AM »

Where are you eating that breakfast is $10 and lunch is $10? I don't eat breakfast out but in the rare case I do a bacon,egg and cheese sandwich from the cafeteria are $2.50 and the thing is 700+ calories. A salad at work from the salad bar is less then $5 I pile on seeds and nuts instead of meat, and grocery stores have pre made sandwiches for $5 and subway has $5.50 footlongs. I think your about right for dinner, on average dinner is about $10 but with coupons and being selective on what nights you visit restaurants for specials and how much food you eat(share a entree with your spouse) you could get that cheaper.

If I were going to eat out every day I would only do so for dinner,during the day I would keep eating what I already do fruits,nuts and veggies. These foods are convenient, packed with nutrition,require no refrigeration or preparation. I can shop at whole foods and get those items organic for less $50 a week for two people, another $40 for ingredients for 3-4 dinners,$60 for a couple nights eating out. There are other things I would rather be using my free time doing then spending 2 hours a day cooking and cleaning in my kitchen.

$10/meal was an average, breakfast will be less, dinner more.  You'll notice I also estimated $4 per person to cook at home, there are plenty of people (myself included) who spend less than that.  It was just a ballpark estimate.  Substitute your own numbers and see if it works for you.

Yeah if you get cheap fast food or live in a LCOL area you can eat cheaper than that.  Personally I'd feel terrible if all I ate was stuff like $5.50 footlongs and Wendy's hamburgers.  It's great that your work has $5 salads with good toppings, my last job had that (and the company subsidized the cafeteria, making it artificially cheap), but that's far from the norm.  In general "urban areas with restaurants in walking distance" aren't synonymous with cheap restaurants.  If you want to use bottom of the barrel restaurant couponing and eating as cheap as possible as your benchmark, it only seems fair to compare it to a similar strategy for grocery stores.  There are people out there eating for $1-2/meal cooking at home.  Beat that at any restaurant and I'll be impressed, or more likely, disgusted.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:13:33 AM by ooeei »

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2016, 05:55:36 PM »
We pretty much never eat out. Partly this is because we like to know what we are eating and enjoy a healthy diet.

But it is also partly circumstantial. We are living in a developing country, which does not have a very healthy (IMO) local diet. That and uncertain food prep standards and hygiene concerns keep us out of the restaurants.

We have access to a lot of amazing fresh fruit and vegetables here. There is also a burgeoning health food scene here so its not all bad. It allows us to eat extremely well at home.

When we leave here and go back to a more developed country here in Asia, we will most likely go back to eating out once or twice a week. But to be honest, we still prefer our own cooking!

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2016, 06:05:10 PM »

Agree with ooeei that chicken-breasts don't reheat well at all. Ditto for ground turkey. Substitute chicken thighs for most any recipe and they'll reheat much, much better, and give more flavor.  They're often cheaper too.

Wanted to thank you for the chicken thighs suggestions. i did teriyaki chciken thighs yesterday for dinner, and reheated them today, and I coudln't even taste the difference. Two meals for about $4.00 total. Pretty cool.

I still need to get a better gauge on how long ot cook stuff because I inevitably get parts that are pink and have to throw back on the grill. :(

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »

Agree with ooeei that chicken-breasts don't reheat well at all. Ditto for ground turkey. Substitute chicken thighs for most any recipe and they'll reheat much, much better, and give more flavor.  They're often cheaper too.

Wanted to thank you for the chicken thighs suggestions. i did teriyaki chciken thighs yesterday for dinner, and reheated them today, and I coudln't even taste the difference. Two meals for about $4.00 total. Pretty cool.

I still need to get a better gauge on how long ot cook stuff because I inevitably get parts that are pink and have to throw back on the grill. :(

2 options: 1- thermometer 2- cut it down toward the bone, if the juices run clear, it's done

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »

For chicken thighs, watch the colour change up the side, when it is just over halfway through is generally a good time to flip it over.  Chicken thighs can survive a bit of overcooking more than chicken breast.  If you are doing boneless, then you can tell by pushing down a bit with a wooden spoon - cooked meat is less flabby.  And if you're really worried, chop it into cubes and cook it that way. 

And don't worry about throwing it back on the grill every once in a while - it's how you learn the cues.  Every piece is going to be slightly different, it is a different animal, a different butcher, on a different day.  So it's less about strict timing, and more about noticing.

Kaplin261

• Bristles
    • Michael Foutz
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2016, 06:08:34 AM »

2 options: 1- thermometer 2- cut it down toward the bone, if the juices run clear, it's done

For chicken thighs get a sous vide!! I picked up a anova precision cooker for $99 and it has made cooking thighs so much easier and they taste amazing cooking them this way. I also cook cheaper cuts of meat with this like sirloin and it turns out better than pricier cuts cuts cooked on the grill.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2016, 08:57:44 AM »

For chicken thighs get a sous vide!! I picked up a anova precision cooker for $99 and it has made cooking thighs so much easier and they taste amazing cooking them this way. I also cook cheaper cuts of meat with this like sirloin and it turns out better than pricier cuts cuts cooked on the grill.

I just can't get over the whole "boil in plastic" thing with the sous vide. I grew up hearing never to heat food in plastic tupperware, and science has borne that out with endocrine disruptors... boiling in it just seems like a bad idea to me.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2016, 11:56:35 AM »
The point about frozen pizza wasn't that it is particularly nice or that you can't make it at home or even that it's cheap. It's that restaurant food is not quick and easy - frozen pizza is. It's out of the freezer and on your plate in twenty minutes (including time to preheat the oven) and requires almost no effort. Restaurant food, on the other hand, is a lot of effort and time.
Yes. 
Two years ago I separated our food budget down to:
groceries (further subdivided),
eating out - restaurants,
eating out - fast food,
eating out - out with friends. 

Fast food was driven by our schedules and has now been reduced to almost nothing by frozen pizza, frozen lasagna (made ahead or grocery store) and made ahead stews. Restaurants has dropped with a shift to eating out with friends.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »
The point about frozen pizza wasn't that it is particularly nice or that you can't make it at home or even that it's cheap. It's that restaurant food is not quick and easy - frozen pizza is. It's out of the freezer and on your plate in twenty minutes (including time to preheat the oven) and requires almost no effort. Restaurant food, on the other hand, is a lot of effort and time.
Yes. 
Two years ago I separated our food budget down to:
groceries (further subdivided),
eating out - restaurants,
eating out - fast food,
eating out - out with friends. 

Fast food was driven by our schedules and has now been reduced to almost nothing by frozen pizza, frozen lasagna (made ahead or grocery store) and made ahead stews. Restaurants has dropped with a shift to eating out with friends.

Similar here. Groceries, fast food (fast-casual, sandwich joints, etc.), sit-down restaurants, pizza.

Working on reducing the pizza budget. It's pennies to make at home, but I don't make it nearly as good as any of the local joints.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2016, 12:58:18 AM »
If I want instant food I buy pre-made food from the supermarket (e.g. Frozen pizza)

Frozen pizza has never made a lot of sense to me because it's not really any cheaper than just getting a fresh one from a pizza place....and fresh tastes so much better. I feel like pizza would be incredibly easy to do at home though, just buy some pita or naan bread and put sauce and cheese on it and bake...close enough.
Frozen pizza is $3.50 and a fresh one is at least seven bucks, and that's Dominos (which is probably the equivalent of frozen).

I like making my own pizza/ dough, but it's definitely not a weeknight thing (get home at 5:30 pm, dinner at 6 pm).

I don't think my oven goes to 550F.  Or at least, when I've tried to go above 450F, it doesn't go well.
Seconded. Where I live, a good frozen pizza can often be had for 1.80€. That's the sales price at the grocery store next door, they almost always have a couple flavors on sale. Regular price is ~3€ I think, but I don't buy them at that price. They are a pretty good alternative for the occasional day where I am really to lazy to cook.
A delivered pizza will run you at least 6-7€. Also, I think that walking to the grocery store, buying one pizza, walking back and baking it is actually faster than getting a pizza delivered. And I don't have to figure out whether pizza delivery persons should be tipped and if yes how much.

hedgefund10

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »
I find eating to be a hassle, why would I pay $30 and take 90 min to go out to eat?

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2016, 11:33:36 AM »
I love eating out and determined it is one of the few things not worth eliminating, along with a gym membership.

However, I only go out once or twice per week, usually with gf, and it is always a quality international restaurant. I don't go out for burgers or anything that can be made at home with minimal effort. I don't grab quick rip-off meals like sandwich shops or other take-out places. I don't eat out for weekday lunches.

These meals probably add anywhere from $100-250/month to my expenses. Generally, on the lower end of that. I will do the same thing in FIRE as it is one of my favorite ways to enjoy life.

Eating out once per week is the norm, 2 times usually is if there is some type of social event. Really, anything more than once per week makes it less exciting. I also don't drink, which helps.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:36:52 AM by stlbrah »

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »
We never go out to eat ... I used to love it but now, with my hubby being such a great cook "restaurant" food falls flat ... I go out with the girls for drinks/dinner about once every 3-6 months. That's it!

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
Thanks for resurrecting this thread! I missed it the first time, and it's been an interesting read. I'm with those who say they prefer not to eat out, for all of the reasons mentioned (minus the fact that we don't have kids). My fiance likes to eat out, so I do go with him about once a month. I don't enjoy it, but I take my good attitude with me and enjoy the time spent with him because I know eating out is fun for him.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2017, 04:52:10 PM »
I pay to eat out pretty much never (like 1-2 times a year)
I do end up eating out a few times a year when I visit family who insist on going out and paying for everyone.

At first it was just about saving money and learning to cook better at home then after a year or so I noticed that going out became a strange thing for me. Being waited on is weird for me now and driving to and from somewhere just to eat and prices have huge sticker shock now. Idonno I just would rather prepare at home in almost all circumstances so that's what I do.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2017, 05:05:42 PM »
My father always said he couldn't afford any restaurant that served better food than my mother cooked.  We are in pretty much the same situation.  The only time we go to a restaurant is (ironically enough) when my father comes to town; in the course of his stay (1-3 weeks) he takes us all out to dinner once.  It's his way of giving me a night off and saying thanks for the hospitality.

Other times we eat non-home-made food:
We go to church fundraiser suppers.
If DH forgets his brown bag in the fridge at home he will buy a chicken sandwich at work.
Occasionally we have an event (robotics meet, baseball game) at a venue that prohibits brown-bagging.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2017, 06:23:44 PM »
I'm curious where all of you live who never eat at restaurants because the quality is poor.  Is it a small town?   I'm in Houston, and while my girlfriend and I are both very good cooks, there are simply some things restaurants can do better or more efficiently than we can.  Vietnamese pho, Chinese Dim Sum, and a few Indian foods come to mind.  We eat somewhere like that probably twice a month, it's usually ~$15/person.

That being said, in my small hometown the restaurants are all pretty much below what I could make myself.  Maybe that's where you guys are coming from?

If we go, I aim for the restaurant to either be a good meeting place with friends or to provide a meal I can't prepare well myself. As my cooking skills have grown, I've felt the need to eat out less and less.

I taught myself to make Pho and like my own best. Restaurant Pho is full of MSG, which gives me a killer headache.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2017, 07:16:59 PM »
My father always said he couldn't afford any restaurant that served better food than my mother cooked.  We are in pretty much the same situation.  The only time we go to a restaurant is (ironically enough) when my father comes to town; in the course of his stay (1-3 weeks) he takes us all out to dinner once.  It's his way of giving me a night off and saying thanks for the hospitality.

Other times we eat non-home-made food:
We go to church fundraiser suppers.
If DH forgets his brown bag in the fridge at home he will buy a chicken sandwich at work.
Occasionally we have an event (robotics meet, baseball game) at a venue that prohibits brown-bagging.

How sweet of your dad to say that about your mom's cooking! I hope that with more practice one day my husband will say something like that about my cooking.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2017, 08:11:50 PM »
I pay to eat out pretty much never (like 1-2 times a year)
I do end up eating out a few times a year when I visit family who insist on going out and paying for everyone.

At first it was just about saving money and learning to cook better at home then after a year or so I noticed that going out became a strange thing for me. Being waited on is weird for me now and driving to and from somewhere just to eat and prices have huge sticker shock now. Idonno I just would rather prepare at home in almost all circumstances so that's what I do.

+1 to this and more. Eating out feels weird now.

Also, wife and I live keto, which restaurants just don't understand.

OthalaFehu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • OthalaFehu
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2017, 07:19:24 AM »
Eating out is my single biggest waste of money, $10k a year (family of 4) but there are 2 things I will say about this in defense of the habit (I acknowledge it is way too much money)

1. I have an unhealthy relationship with food and eating out makes me happy. I spend time with friends/family over a meal and my mental health is deserving of some portion of the my budget.

2. I am lucky, I have a lot of money, I look at it like a system for redistributing wealth, I tip well and eating out helps drive the economy.

jade

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »
We eat out rarely partly to save money but mostly because of some food intolerances. Like a lot of others here, we started to realise that most of the time we can cook better at home. When we go for out now, it's mostly for things that are trickier to do at home. I am surprised at how little I miss eating out now.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
I learned so much reading this thread.

Many of the reasons previously cited apply to us to (hate waiting, cost, toddlers, overeating, etc). Another big one is food safety and germs. These items have become super important to me in the lst couple years.

We could start a whole thread on food safety of the restaurant food itself - proper temperatures, reheating things multiple times, high quality produce, sourcing food.

But taking a turn on things (because maybe a lot of people are sick this time of year)..
How many times have you seen the hostess, cook, server wipe their nose? Do they wash their hands? Or do they hand you your menus after they blow their nose? Grab your silverware?  When do you see them wash their hands? Public Bathroom often have handles that pull inward when you are inside the bathroom requiring you and the employees to pull open the door (the dirty dirty door - there is likely feces on that door- you know some people don't wash up after using restroom) , touching the door, infecting your hands even if you just washed your hands (unless you use a towel to open the door or wait for someone else to open the door for you). Have you seen people use the same gloves that they just wiped up something to also touch your food? People don't change gloves often enough.

Also, when they refill water glasses, it is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine to rest the water jug on a patron's glass to refill. No no no. How many other patrons glasses did you do that too? The water jugs are typically washed a couple times per shift, if at all, but typically shared by all servers. I was a server in high school and college at multiple restaurants so I know what I am talking about. I also did shifts washing dishes, cashier, line cook, etc.  Have you seen people touching menu and then touch your plate?

How clean are the tables? Who sat in the booth before you? Were they sick? Menus? Those rags are often used to clean everything. Yes I know there are inspections but everyone is on best behavior during food inspections.

I know I sound like I am a major germaphobe, but seriously ....think about it. Why would you pay for that? Again, we used to eat out a lot more, but we really like being at home (and yes we wash hands often, even at home, especially when we first get in the door from being out).

Ok, after writing this, I don't want to eat out again. Problem cured for me.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »
I almost never eat out... like maaaybe once a year, and only when "forced" to by the situation (ie travel) or family who insist on taking us out.

Many years ago we would eat out all the time, and get fast food for dinner multiple times per week. It was pure laziness and inability to plan ahead - forgetting to take things out to defrost, etc.

As I've gotten older I've learned to shop cheaply and meal plan, and learned to enjoy cooking. This has pretty much eliminated eating out because we needed to. I keep quick and easy stuff in the freezer for those nights when I don't feel like cooking so there's always something we can just heat up, or quickly whip up some omelets or something.

As for eating out because we want to, well I simply don't enjoy it. I hate the whole process of getting dressed (I mean, they make you wear shoes and everything!), getting in the car, going somewhere, sitting around waiting for your table while screeching children with inattentive parents run wild, then you have to sit around and wait for them to take your drink order, decline the upsells for appetizers and expensive alcoholic beverages, sit around some more while they take your food order, wait for the food to come out, then be interrupted 8 times as they ask you inane questions like "How's everything tasting tonight?" the moment you have a mouth full of food, decline the additional upsells dessert, etc, then wait for the damn check, then wait again for them to run your CC and bring it back.... And of course while all this is going on there are horrible little children with inattentive parents jumping on the seat behind you and dropping crayons on your head, TVs blaring obnoxious sporting events or overwhelming music combined with general ambient noise that makes it pretty much impossible to actually have a conversation with the people you are purportedly there to spend time with. And of course, depending on the restaurant, its probably costing what I spend on a week's worth of groceries for that one meal. And holy shit is the food unhealthy, most entrees I see contain about 1/2 a day's worth of calories, and that's before they add on the fries or side salad or anything else.

Fuck that :)

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2017, 07:00:04 AM »
I do it maybe twice a year and only if I know that the experience is going to be worth it. That includes the company as well as the food. If one or the other is missing then I always regret the expense afterward.

jade

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2017, 08:06:46 AM »
I almost never eat out... like maaaybe once a year, and only when "forced" to by the situation (ie travel) or family who insist on taking us out.

Many years ago we would eat out all the time, and get fast food for dinner multiple times per week. It was pure laziness and inability to plan ahead - forgetting to take things out to defrost, etc.

As I've gotten older I've learned to shop cheaply and meal plan, and learned to enjoy cooking. This has pretty much eliminated eating out because we needed to. I keep quick and easy stuff in the freezer for those nights when I don't feel like cooking so there's always something we can just heat up, or quickly whip up some omelets or something.

As for eating out because we want to, well I simply don't enjoy it. I hate the whole process of getting dressed (I mean, they make you wear shoes and everything!), getting in the car, going somewhere, sitting around waiting for your table while screeching children with inattentive parents run wild, then you have to sit around and wait for them to take your drink order, decline the upsells for appetizers and expensive alcoholic beverages, sit around some more while they take your food order, wait for the food to come out, then be interrupted 8 times as they ask you inane questions like "How's everything tasting tonight?" the moment you have a mouth full of food, decline the additional upsells dessert, etc, then wait for the damn check, then wait again for them to run your CC and bring it back.... And of course while all this is going on there are horrible little children with inattentive parents jumping on the seat behind you and dropping crayons on your head, TVs blaring obnoxious sporting events or overwhelming music combined with general ambient noise that makes it pretty much impossible to actually have a conversation with the people you are purportedly there to spend time with. And of course, depending on the restaurant, its probably costing what I spend on a week's worth of groceries for that one meal. And holy shit is the food unhealthy, most entrees I see contain about 1/2 a day's worth of calories, and that's before they add on the fries or side salad or anything else.

This made me chuckle! Sadly, quite true, isn't it? :)

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »

This made me chuckle! Sadly, quite true, isn't it? :)

LOL well I'm glad someone appreciates my little diatribe, for some reason most people just tell me I'm no fun :)