Author Topic: Does anyone ever fall off the MMM wagon?  (Read 13572 times)

Giro

• Pencil Stache
Does anyone ever fall off the MMM wagon?
« on: July 15, 2015, 07:40:09 AM »
I made a very anti-mustachian car purchase and now I'm getting back on the wagon and going through my house to start listing things on craigslist for sale.  I'm still quite happy and I do find myself singing "weeeee" every time I drive the car.  :)   I'm a gear head so the car does bring me great joy.  I also don't believe I added any more time to my FIRE date.

Who else has slipped and fallen and then gotten back up?  do tell.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
Re: Does anyone ever fall off the MMM wagon?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »
I went to new york two weeks ago and blew $2500 in 8 days.  Feeling like a chumpasaurus-rex.  Also got arrested for trespassing right after I got back, another $600 in fines.... let's just say the old student loans won't be seeing payment for another 3 weeks. 

It makes me irritable and upset when I stop paying off debts.  I feel like I am getting no where in my life and waking up for groundhog day again for no reason.  Drives me crazy. 

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 07:49:07 AM »
My husband shared with me a video of a man and his wife who blog about life in an RV.  They were a bit older, maybe young retirement age, but they pointed out that you don't have to retire to live a low key life.  My husband pointed out, what are we really spending all our money on and running in this rat race FOR?

Honestly, we spend a lot of money on eating out... and we don't even eat fancy, just that we aren't cooking at home.  We're working now to break that habit, but if you look at all of your receipts for a month, where does it really go?

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 07:50:58 AM »
is there anything you can sell, humbleMouse? 

I transferred all of my accumulated credit card points to my checking since the down payment wiped out most of my account.  I am transferring my paypal balance today.  I think I have a few hundred bucks of stuff to sell. 

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 07:53:18 AM »
My husband shared with me a video of a man and his wife who blog about life in an RV.  They were a bit older, maybe young retirement age, but they pointed out that you don't have to retire to live a low key life.  My husband pointed out, what are we really spending all our money on and running in this rat race FOR?

Honestly, we spend a lot of money on eating out... and we don't even eat fancy, just that we aren't cooking at home.  We're working now to break that habit, but if you look at all of your receipts for a month, where does it really go?

I've never really looked at my spending for a month.  I'm sure I would be shocked.  I tend to set up automatic investments and not worry about the rest.  I should be more diligent but I'm not motivated enough.  It just doesn't seem like there's much I can do to get my FIRE date below 45 years old. 

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »
I made a very anti-mustachian car purchase...  I also don't believe I added any more time to my FIRE date.

Does this mean "the fractional amount of time added is less than a day/week/month/year of work so I don't count it" or is there some magic where it didn't actually require any money to make this purchase? No increase in car insurance (or missed opportunity in dropping down to liability only?)

I struggle with this. I love cars... and I downgraded from a very nice car to one that's... mostly... more fun to drive but older. And I didn't make an excellent choice; it has some rough edges that I didn't notice initially, but bother me frequently. It did save me $6k immediately, and I reduced my insurance costs a couple hundred dollars annually as well. But I suspect I might only hold out with this car for another year or so before I want something similar but... nicer.

As to the original question, it is a little bit of a roller coaster. This year has involved some major purchases and big trips, planning a (frugal) wedding, but lots more cooking than before. Continue learning. Make sure your net worth goes up every month. Make sure your spending aligns with what you truly cherish.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:09:32 AM »
I made a very anti-mustachian car purchase and now I'm getting back on the wagon and going through my house to start listing things on craigslist for sale.  I'm still quite happy and I do find myself singing "weeeee" every time I drive the car.  :)   I'm a gear head so the car does bring me great joy.  I also don't believe I added any more time to my FIRE date.

The most important question, what car did you get?

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 08:27:52 AM »

"Chumpasaurus-rex"

Love it!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 08:31:43 AM »
I try to focus on big wins like it took me two months but I found a new tenant/roommate. I'm studying for an exam for work, and I'm interviewing for a new job in hopes of making more money. I won't be able to save as much as I was hoping, as I bought some things I've been wanting for 5 years. But it seems like the first 300k is tough no matter what and a thousand here or there doesn't seem to change that.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 08:35:07 AM »

I've never really looked at my spending for a month.  I'm sure I would be shocked.  I tend to set up automatic investments and not worry about the rest.  I should be more diligent but I'm not motivated enough.  It just doesn't seem like there's much I can do to get my FIRE date below 45 years old.

I just did a simple spread sheet with two columns and a summation block.  I put what the money was spent on, the amount, and a running tally.  At first I was shocked, but I quickly benefited from seeing it as it went.  I don't know what my FIRE date is, I'm not really expecting it to be very early, lol, but I'm trying.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 08:44:09 AM »

The most important question, what car did you get?

I bought a 2014 Shelby GT500.  I wanted a GT-R and I was <---> close to pulling the trigger but then I drove the Shelby.  It has at least as much power (more horsepower actually but it's not AWD like the GT-R) and it handles great.  A lot of critics talk about the poor handling but I think it handles extremely well for that kind of power in a rear wheel drive car.  And I "saved" myself $40k.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 08:47:29 AM »
I made a very anti-mustachian car purchase...  I also don't believe I added any more time to my FIRE date.

Does this mean "the fractional amount of time added is less than a day/week/month/year of work so I don't count it" or is there some magic where it didn't actually require any money to make this purchase? No increase in car insurance (or missed opportunity in dropping down to liability only?)

Well, I'm four years out from actual retirement.  We are already FI but I wanted to save a few more bucks before we quit and my husband wants to secure a second pension so he needs to work another 4 years and a few months to do that.  So, really I'm working because he's working.  He's working for that pension.  For us I guess it isn't about having enough saved to live off of but about the actual date for the pension. 

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 09:08:27 AM »
A lot of critics talk about the poor handling but I think it handles extremely well for that kind of power in a rear wheel drive car.  And I "saved" myself $40k.
Maybe a bit offtopic from the original question, but... Best thing you can do for the handling is to put aftermarket performance springs on it. The supercharged Shelbys are great cars but the stock springs make it sit a little high. This will help with the wheelspin, too. Makes it sit down in the corners better. I had a 98 Cobra that was similar. And since you "saved" $40k, you have some money lying around for upgrades!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »
I think you are doing just fine. :)

My personal goal/plans are to hit FI, then work another year or two so that I have an extra fund just for car stuff.

I'm going to die one day. Cars make me happy. Fuck everyone on the forum who pretends like they can't understand a hobby they don't personally enjoy. If they make you happy, enjoy them.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »

My personal goal/plans are to hit FI, then work another year or two so that I have an extra fund just for car stuff.

I'm going to die one day. Cars make me happy. Fuck everyone on the forum who pretends like they can't understand a hobby they don't personally enjoy. If they make you happy, enjoy them.

oh thank you.  I was waiting for the face punches.  I'm a gear head and a home body.  I'd rather have a fun car than a vacation.  Cars are really my entertainment and joy.  Our house is modest and paid for.  We eat at home 90% of the time.  I don't care about fancy clothes or other "things".  My husband loves music gear but he is smart about his purchases.  Overall, I think we are still mustachian. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 09:37:59 AM »
If you're already FI and buying the car doesn't change that then I don't see the problem. My wife wants a Porsche Cayman which we will probably buy used around the time when we hit FI (should cost $30-40k, gets 22/32 mpg).

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 10:27:37 AM »

oh thank you.  I was waiting for the face punches.  I'm a gear head and a home body.  I'd rather have a fun car than a vacation.  Cars are really my entertainment and joy.  Our house is modest and paid for.  We eat at home 90% of the time.  I don't care about fancy clothes or other "things".  My husband loves music gear but he is smart about his purchases.  Overall, I think we are still mustachian.

The whole point of being FI is to spend money in a way that is aligned with your values!!

Granted someone just starting accumulation phase should probably hold off on buying a car that costs 2 years of living expenses. At your point, who cares!?! It won't change your RE date.

I LOVE cars, I love driving. I have been eyeballing 2013-2014 Camaro 1LE's for the past few months. But I am that "just starting out" individual so I might have to find something nice and cheap with RWD and a 5 speed (Think Miata) to satisfy my inner stunt driver while I save for FIRE and can enjoy a car of my dreams.

Best,

2B1S

PS - LOVE the newer 5.0's the Shelby will never be in my price range but a few friends have 2011-2013 5.0's and after a turbo/blower they are fast enough for ~$30k

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »

The whole point of being FI is to spend money in a way that is aligned with your values!!

Well put!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 11:35:42 AM »

Wait a minute, wait a minute. This question has dimensions to it I have not previously considered. Two thoughts:

1) If you are already FI, you understand the size of your 'stash and are not spending it to oblivion, then is it actually possible to "fall off the MMM wagon"?
2) What IS "the MMM wagon"?

I've been "on the wagon" now for almost 3 years. I feel better about myself, my marriage, my housing, my debt, my fitness and my future than I've ever felt. I'm very much one of those people who were born optimistic, but it took MMM for me to realize I wasn't heading toward a futile, useless and failed end-of-life story.

Giro, if you are FI, would you care to comment, please? What WAS "your MMM wagon" before FIRE, what IS "your MMM wagon" now? Do you believe you are "back on the wagon" or do you expect your Mustang purchase still has you "off the wagon" and you'll get back on at some future date?

Why do I ask this? While a Ford Mustang isn't my personal goal, I certainly understand those who love The Pony - I've turned many a wrench on many a vehicle and regard myself as a gearhead. (Even though I don't own a "performance vehicle", I do own a 2006 Ford F-150. How I came to own it is a long story and very mustachian, I assure you. Maybe I need to start a thread about HOW a Ford F-150 can be mustachian and why I think that....)

But I am also a lifelong, dedicated and assertive bicyclist. To me, there is nothing more badass than having a bike trailer, hauling stuff around on it, using a bike for transportation and raising the big middle finger to cagers who think I'm some kind of lycra-wearing pansy.

So while I myself live quite comfortably with myself in this (apparent) lifestyle contradiction, I do recognize that in the past three years, I HAVE developed an idea of what "the MMM wagon" is.

In fact, I recently commented on a thread that Axecleaver commented on - the "$130k thread". Axecleaver, I'll take this opportunity to ask you to forgive me for my comments in that thread. I'll back up a minute and take some time to analyze what "the MMM wagon" really is and what I'm buying into.

Also: I'll ask the rest of you who have commented on this thread - can you chime in too? What do you think "the wagon" is?

Giro - if I'm hijacking your thread, please let me know and I'll back down. I have this feeling I could start a whole new thread on this topic alone...

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »
I guess I just consider a $65k car hard to describe as mustachian regardless of the size of my stache.  Honestly, our stash isn't even that fabulous.  It's more about the ability to live on my husband's military retirement that makes us FI. I did trade in my old car and put $10k down so my loan is only $27k.

The MMM wagon to me is to spend money primarily on needs versus wants.  Wants should be analyzed based on how they affect your RE date and what you prioritize.

Good discussion tho.  hijack away, I love it.

CletusMcGee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 11:54:19 AM »
What IS "the MMM wagon"

Probably a mid-90's Volvo - those things run forever.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »
LOL

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 12:09:21 PM »
I guess I just consider a $65k car hard to describe as mustachian regardless of the size of my stache.  Honestly, our stash isn't even that fabulous.  It's more about the ability to live on my husband's military retirement that makes us FI. I did trade in my old car and put $10k down so my loan is only $27k.

The MMM wagon to me is to spend money primarily on needs versus wants.  Wants should be analyzed based on how they affect your RE date and what you prioritize.

Good discussion tho.  hijack away, I love it.

Thank you, I appreciate the Go Signal and the two-sentence summary of what the wagon is. Technically, yeah, buying a mustang is "not mustachian", nor is going into debt for it.

But if nothing changes in your FIRE status and the cost of the loan doesn't matter to you, does it matter that it's not mustachian? I have to admit I've not really thought about the question, but I think I need to. I'm the kind of guy who can get lost in the dogma and doesn't beware of the places where it's A-OK and just fine to depart from the dogma.

Why do I give a crap about this? Well, I have a private pilot's license. I quit flying actively years ago because it's not essential. However, being able to fly is something I highly value.

I've been avoiding the question "Can I still fly and be mustachian?" I have other, more pressing questions to ask and answer. However, if one day I might be able to allow myself to fly once again and still be frugal, I know I would, for sure.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 07:25:12 AM by mefla »

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 01:52:28 PM »
The goal is not to "be mustachian" or "be as much like MMM as possible." He is a "model Mustachian citizen", someone to learn from and emulate, but not follow blindly or completely mimic.

The goal is to optimize your life, for maximum enjoyment, maximum utility of the money you earn for your ideal life.

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »
Ever wondered why he started blogging?
I mean there's another revenue stream sure, but the odds of having a successful blog are fairly long.

My assumption is its because he thought he could encourage others to reduce waste/consumption for consumptions sake.
By that definition I'd say running any of these gas guzzlers is falling off the wagon.

That said, its your money and your retirement - you get to prioritise what you like.
I bought a 1.4MM house so I cant talk.

Krnten

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
We're off the wagon!  I feel a bit bad about it but we're already FI and our volcanically wasteful spending in the next few years (primarily on rent and childcare) won't hurt our long term RE plans.

We're just in an unusual place right now- very high income that'll last probably another 1-3 years.  I'm going to try to let go and enjoy it rather than feel horrible guilt about not saving as much as we could.

I still love and read MMM and the forums because this is who I am in my core, even if we're temporarily not living it.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »

Well, I'm four years out from actual retirement.  We are already FI but I wanted to save a few more bucks before we quit and my husband wants to secure a second pension so he needs to work another 4 years and a few months to do that.  So, really I'm working because he's working.  He's working for that pension.  For us I guess it isn't about having enough saved to live off of but about the actual date for the pension.

So you got yourself a toy!:) while you are waiting to pull the trigger - NICE! Congrats and carry on, you are living the good life already. SWEET!

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 05:35:59 AM »

EVERYONE who ever got on the wagon has fallen off (I turned 30 many years ago and bought a corvette.  Don't regret it; wouldn't do it again).

If your only goal in life is to hoard money then it isn't a life well lived.  However, when you find the things that bring you joy now stop bringing you joy, sell and move on.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 07:04:37 AM »
I agree that the goal is to optimize your life. Spend money on what provides value. It may be that me looking at this situation does not value cars, but if you do value cars can't you get the same utility/value from not a $60k car? So yeah I'd say you fell off the wagon, I guess it depends on how far you fall off it. Running to Starbucks and grabbing a pricey latte is a small fall off the wagon, buying a $60k car or a $2M home is an altogether different story. I'd argue that that is less "falling off the wagon" as it is more antithetical to the concept of optimization of your money as a resource to buy the value you see in life.

Maybe I'm wrong and am just a bit of a hardliner but it seems excessive in the waste category, it may not impact your FIRE date but that isn't necessarily the right metric to use. If it were, then you could just burn the money and use the "it didn't impact FIRE". As I've said before if the fact that you didn't buy the yacht means you can FIRE then you're not getting the message here. Looking at your life and optimizing goes for more than just the things that don't provide value. There is also a distinct message of questioning what provides value and how we obtain that which does provide value.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 07:28:18 AM »
I agree that the goal is to optimize your life. Spend money on what provides value. It may be that me looking at this situation does not value cars, but if you do value cars can't you get the same utility/value from not a $60k car?

I couldn't really get a 10 second car for less $$.  The Mustang is actually a pretty sweet deal if you look at the performance.  The GT-R has the advantage with AWD, but it's $40K MORE.  I'm putting a few mods on it to keep the wheels down. 

I've been playing around with it and dusting off my driving skills.  It's been YEARS since I've raced cars.  I figure in a few weeks I'll be ready.  BUT, will I actually go thru with taking my beauty to the track???  My husband has been waxing and shining the heck out of it.  The paint looks like glass. 

The really really anti-mustachian thing is the mileage.  I'm averaging just over 13mpg.  O.M.G.   And premium fuel of course. 

I may just give myself a time or mileage weekly allowance.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
I agree that the goal is to optimize your life. Spend money on what provides value. It may be that me looking at this situation does not value cars, but if you do value cars can't you get the same utility/value from not a $60k car?

I couldn't really get a 10 second car for less $$.  The Mustang is actually a pretty sweet deal if you look at the performance.  The GT-R has the advantage with AWD, but it's $40K MORE.  I'm putting a few mods on it to keep the wheels down. 

I've been playing around with it and dusting off my driving skills.  It's been YEARS since I've raced cars.  I figure in a few weeks I'll be ready.  BUT, will I actually go thru with taking my beauty to the track???  My husband has been waxing and shining the heck out of it.  The paint looks like glass. 

The really really anti-mustachian thing is the mileage.  I'm averaging just over 13mpg.  O.M.G.   And premium fuel of course. 

So your value you get for $60k is a 10 second car, that looks shiny, you might/might not race, and will restrict how often you use it...

You might want to look a bit harder at how you choose to derive value from your life. It seems the value per use is pretty crappy in this scenario.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 08:42:41 AM »

So your value you get for $60k is a 10 second car, that looks shiny, you might/might not race, and will restrict how often you use it...

You might want to look a bit harder at how you choose to derive value from your life. It seems the value per use is pretty crappy in this scenario.

It may seem crappy to you, but again, I'm a car girl.  I love the feel of 662 horses and there is nothing better than shifting into 4th and feeling the power knock you back in your seat....and knowing you have two gears left.

I can't judge what is valuable to others and I realize not everyone will appreciate what is important/valuable to me.  I started racing cars at 16 years old.  I grew up on American muscle. 

I know people who get enjoyment out of going to airports, standing in lines, and getting on cramped planes next to strangers to go on "vacation" where they sleep in beds where other people have slept and eat food other people have prepared.  ew.  That is torture to me.     

Give me a full tank of gas and an open road where I can lose myself in the sound of my engine and the feel of the torque.

Even if it means I only drive it 100 miles a week.  Which is still pretty damn sweet.  Two hours of near-orgasmic pleasure each week is damn good value IMO.    I can't think of a better way to spend the money, actually. 

And now I feel even better about my purchase.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 04:28:44 PM »

It may seem crappy to you, but again, I'm a car girl.  I love the feel of 662 horses and there is nothing better than shifting into 4th and feeling the power knock you back in your seat....and knowing you have two gears left.

I can't judge what is valuable to others and I realize not everyone will appreciate what is important/valuable to me.  I started racing cars at 16 years old.  I grew up on American muscle. 

I know people who get enjoyment out of going to airports, standing in lines, and getting on cramped planes next to strangers to go on "vacation" where they sleep in beds where other people have slept and eat food other people have prepared.  ew.  That is torture to me.     

Give me a full tank of gas and an open road where I can lose myself in the sound of my engine and the feel of the torque.

Even if it means I only drive it 100 miles a week.  Which is still pretty damn sweet.  Two hours of near-orgasmic pleasure each week is damn good value IMO.    I can't think of a better way to spend the money, actually. 

And now I feel even better about my purchase.

Your post convinced me to finally create an account. :)

Not that I'm a guru (I'm in the bottom 10%ile of % of salary saved around these parts, I'm sure), but a metric I really like for these kinds of questions is:

When I look back at the purchase 20 years later and account for the savings+interest it would represent, will I be glad I spent it?

Your car will be worth $131k, roughly, in today's dollars (7% growth with 3% deducted for inflation).  If you can look back and say "yup, there is no other way I would spend $131k that would have made my life better" -- good on you, you won the game.

I believe I feel that way at present about some of my astoundingly extravagant lifestyle choices (I pay about $1200 / month all told for household-related services, including having someone cook for us twice a week, and pay far too much for my house).  It's the right balance for my family;  it lets two otherwise workaholic parents spend time with their child, walk together with her to work/daycare, and have jobs that we love and would do for free.  But we'll see. :)

Congrats on your impending FI.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:38:09 PM by csprof »

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 06:12:33 AM »
This is an interesting question. I think I've been hanging off the side of the mmm wagon for a while. Just when I think I'm back on top, I find some stupid expense pushes me slowly off the side again.

As a gearhead I love cars, especially fast ones.  However, I'm not sure about spending $50-60k on a mustang. Even a shelby stang. You could have gotten something faster and IMO much cooler for significantly less. :D   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CRETgzSXho

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:45:50 AM by thurston howell iv »

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 07:02:39 AM »
This is an interesting question. I think I've been hanging off the side of the mmm wagon for a while. Just when I think I'm back on top, I find some stupid expense pushes me slowly off the side again.

As a gearhead I love cars, especially fast ones.  However, I'm not sure about spending $50-60k on a mustang. Even a shelby stang. You could have gotten something faster and IMO much cooler for significantly less. :D   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CRETgzSXho

Did you build that Buick yourself?  You still running it? 

Ford put an extra 100 + hp in the Shelby since then.  And after a few mods over the past few days, the beast sticks to the ground like a Porsche.  I'm thrilled to death with the car.  It's pushing 700hp right now.  :)))) 

toys toys toys.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »
700 hp is nothing to sneeze at. Sounds like a blast!

BTW, That's not my Buick. It belongs to MeanChicken. (It was just a quick vid I found) Meanchicken specializes in terrorizing SoCal with his daily driver Buick. He regularly crushes modern "muscle", sports cars and bikes for entertainment. LOL

I have a few TR's and the DW and I wrench on them as well. Our cars are very qucik but we don't race- too much to break and fix. We just cruise around and stomp the occasional unsuspecting rube. :)

My point was more along the lines that a 10-11 second car can be built (out of a turbo buick at least) for a fraction of the cost of a new Shelby. Old fox bodies are probably in the same boat as well as some of the LS cars.

Here's an example: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/project-car-build-for-the-board-rusty-silver-bullet-seeking-10s-asap.400319/page-9
I think he has $6k or less into the car.

It's not a beauty queen but it gets the job done!

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 10:59:07 AM »
Oh without a doubt you can build a 10 sec car for less.  Hell, if I was only going for speed, I would just ride my DH's ZX14.  But, I wanted a fancy-pants new model car with all the fancy engineering and the glass roof (I love that damn glass roof). 

We just don't get enjoyment out of working on vehicles anymore.  We prefer to get in/on and drive.

It's all about priorities, of course.  I'd spend money on this over vacations/clothes/restaurants/jewelry/bigger home etc.  I was also willing to work an extra few months for it if I needed to.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 11:23:48 AM »
Crotch Rockets too?!?!  I like how you think... (I have a friend with a turbo Hayabusa--- maybe one of these days....)

I'm starting to feel the same way about working on the cars... I have two garage queens we call garage art; Another that is in the middle of a frame-off restoration, and 3 drivers... (one of which is getting a suspension overhaul- I hate working on suspensions!)

Sadly, I have to commute and driving has become more of a chore rather than the fun it used to be. Even heading out to car shows and cruise nights isn't as fun anymore as we have to play driveway tetris just to get in and out or the driveway. It's more of a hassle than its worth.

I've put 2 cars on the chopping block and hope to "whittle down" to just 3 (yes, this, on MMM) LOL

I've not driven or ridden in anything "new" because I'm really trying to keep expenses in check and don't want to be drawn by the pull of something shiny and new. (I might lean towards a 2009 or newer CTS-V- a friend in SoCal has one making over 700hp and he's in his 70's~) I'm glad you enjoy your new toy. I hope it will continue to put a smile on your face.

Happy Motoring!

Terrestrial

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
If you define the MMM wagon as some variant of 'being cheap/not spending money'....i guess i fall off all the time, or was never on it to begin with!

If like me you define it as, not wasting money on things you don't care about in order to have the money to spend on those you do...i've actually become pretty good about making solid choices and realizing the stuff i really do and don't want.  My family just took our summer vacation and stayed in a beachfront 5 star resort for $400 a night...to some people that's an attrocious waste of money and 'un-MMM'.  To me it was worth every penny...my kids loved it and that place was awesome and walkable to everything.  We only got in the car one time the whole trip...instead of staying somewhere cheap 20 mins away and loading up the kids every time to grind through traffic to get to the beach and then cockfight for parking, we were able to ride bikes around and enjoy each other.   To me that's why I dont spend money on stupid crap - to afford what i really want, not to just hoard it away in an acct to never see the light of day.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:01:02 PM by Terrestrial »